Games that aged well (Merge'd - Old Favorites)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Games that aged well (Merge'd - Old Favorites)

Postby mosc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:15 pm UTC

This thread is for any games that are >5 years old that are still worth picking up. Some games age horribly, others seem to get better and better. Lets hear some shout outs to some older games that are still worth playing. Since the PC is still much the same platform it was when these games came out (OS issues aside), it's like the ultimate platform for classic games. Be sure to specify the year the game came out if you can find it! Here are some of my favorites:

TES: Morrowind (2002) Came out it May so it just qualifies. Probably the prittiest game which will qualify by a mile (especially with mods) and for those who haven't wasted hundreds of hours on it, you're really missing out. The greatest open-world RPG ever and that ain't even a big enough title. It's huge.

Freespace 2 (1999): the final epic space sim that makes us STILL look back fondly at this once dominant genre. It's not only good for 1999, it's still one of the most fun games to play. Multiplayer ain't even that bad! Grab your joystick if you got em!

Diablo II (2001): STILL occupying a huge player base after 6 years, this game (along with the original it replaced) is one of the most influential ever and just a blast to play. Grinding at it's purest form, this game is all about multiplayer "I'm better than you" with a long grind to 99 and items varying with ranges like 150-250% which just make you try so hard to get that 250 instead of the 249 you currently got. Still a good seller alongside it's expansion pack, this one will undoubtedly survive years from now until blizzard finally gets off it's ass and makes D3. Did I mention some of the best FVM ever? Eat your heart out FF!

Star Control 2 (1992): Singlehandedly defining it's own genre while simultaneously dominating it is no small feat. It's now available in freeware on the net as well (may it live forever). Graphics suck, but otherwise this game is still as amazing as ever. The plot makes modern games with voice acting and story directors look like they were written by 3rd graders in comparison. Welcome to the space opera of it's generation.

Lets hear some more. Keep in mind this is for games you'd recommend NOW not a trip down memory lane to games you used to like.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

Agreed on Freespace.

Also, Grim Fandango is still fantastic.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

Those old Lucas Arts Games:
Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Island games, Tie Fighter

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

Marathon. All three in the series.

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

Planescape: Torment (1999). One of the best RPGs I've ever played. The graphics don't precisely age very well, but they're tolerable, and the story is still one of the best ever written for a videogame. Very text-heavy, so if you aren't a fan of reading a lot you might be tempted to give this a miss, but it's an exceptional game.

Total Annihilation (1997). One of the best RTS games ever created. It is one of the most interesting and exceptional RTS games I've ever played. It actually, in '97, had a real 3D game. Not a 2D Command and Conquer or Starcraft game. Warcraft III (2002) is nowhere near as 3D as this game is in details. There's actual terrain, that some units that fire in straight lines will hit instead of enemies, while artillery arcs over the terrain in a parabola. Units on high ground have actual tactical advantages beyond the '50% miss chance' of what I think of as 'fake 3D' games. Planes actually bear some resemblence to aircraft. Radar and Sonar can detect enemies in the fog-of-war without identifying them. Dead enemy and allied units leave behind scrap metal, which can be harvested to help rebuild your armies or destroyed with concentrated fire to reopen a path to the enemy. It's awesome, especially for its time.

System Shock 2 (1999). Take 1 part RPG, 1 part FPS, 1 part survival horror, and stir. A recipe for an awesome game. Intense atmosphere, great voices and characters. Creepy areas, a feeling of horror and dread, and an excellent plot combine with RPG-ish skills and abilities integrated into a first-person-shooter, makes one of the better games I've ever played. Excellent voices/sound effects.
Last edited by placeholder on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

Fallout 1 and 2: Still one of the most engaging and open ended RPG's I have ever played. Even though it is nearly a decade old some of the game concepts have not been duplicated to the level that they were done in this game. The dialogue system is basically unmatched by any game I have seen though KOTOR was close, and Mass Effect looks very promising. As well the dark sadistic and often morbid humour that made me love this game is brilliant and will never die for me. As well I think this game set a new precedent for violence that hadn't been matched until I played Gears of War.

Hopefully the 3rd RPG of the series will continue the legacy.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

Roguelikes of any sort, duh, but the Classic Triad reign. If you liked Diablo's grind, you'll get absolutely hooked on NetHack and ADOM and Angband, as long as you don't mind the utter lack of graphics. (And if you try to put tiles in I will knife you.) Plus there's all sorts of awesome nooks and crannies to find. If NetHack feels simple/dated to you, go for SLASH'EM. There's a million versions of the *bands as well. ADOM is the only closed-source one, but it's the only one with real plot and conflicting quests and such. (ADOM is my Roguelike of choice.) I feel anything older than NetHack (original Hack, original Rogue, etc) is way too dated for my taste, with limitations on monster names and lack of color and lack of extended ASCII.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

X-Com: UFO Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown - 1993

Still hardcore, after 13 years.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

The best thing I remember about nethack is using a stone to flesh scroll to turn a boulder into a giant hunk of meat and eating it.

That and finding dilithium crystals.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

-Charles Robert

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:30 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:X-Com: UFO Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown - 1993

Still hardcore, after 13 years.

they run decently on 2k/xp?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

You have to get a patched EXE for it, but yeah, it runs awesome. At least on XP. Dunno if you need a patch for 2000.

Alternately, there's DOSBox.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

I still play regularly:

X-Com UFOD / TFTD
Master Of Orion II
Civ I
Civ II
Colonization
Diablo II (Levelling a Convictor right now!)
Sim City 3000
Stars!
Alpha Centauri
Dune II
Half-Life

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

Civ forever and ever.... Amen.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dune II

lol dune 2 (1992 btw) was awesome but I don't think it aged that well. You gotta try some Dawn of War: Dark Crusade man... hard to go back to any RTS after that.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

mosc wrote:

lol dune 2 (1992 btw) was awesome but I don't think it aged that well. You gotta try some Dawn of War: Dark Crusade man... hard to go back to any RTS after that.

Doesn't mean it isn't still kickass fun :)

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

I must disagree that Fallout 1/2 and Nethack aged well. Maybe Fallout 1/2 is just my growing bias against that sort of RPG, but I just found the game unfun as much as I loved the story aspects.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

Deus Ex is still a great game to play, loads of different ways to complete it too.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

mosc wrote:

lol dune 2 (1992 btw) was awesome but I don't think it aged that well. You gotta try some Supreme Commander man... hard to go back to any RTS after that.

Fix'd

Seriously. Fix'd. I can't even comprehend how I used to find moving around the map to not be a painful experience.

Vaniver wrote:I must disagree that Fallout 1/2 and Nethack aged well. Maybe Fallout 1/2 is just my growing bias against that sort of RPG, but I just found the game unfun as much as I loved the story aspects.

I've found that as a general rule* - if you played the game at or close to the time it came out and loved it then, you can more than likely still play it and enjoy it greatly. If you did not, you most likely will not enjoy it.

*Says the guy who didn't play X-Com until 2002 - nine years after the fact.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:58 pm UTC

Adventure.

The computer adventure game. Older than I am, and still addictive. If you've finished it, I'd recommend wandering into some of the old Phoenix games, which are also great fun (if you don't mind dying).
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I've found that as a general rule* - if you played the game at or close to the time it came out and loved it then, you can more than likely still play it and enjoy it greatly. If you did not, you most likely will not enjoy it.

I agree with this, but I think that's nostalgia gaming and not games that have aged well. Fallout is a perfect example. It's a great bit of nostalgia but I would hardly say it aged well at all. Great game certainly, but well past it's prime. I wanted to start this thread to point out some games that are STILL in their prime. It's a key difference.

BTW: You must never have played DoW:DC then because SupCom has a great camera but is really not that good an RTS.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
mosc wrote:

lol dune 2 (1992 btw) was awesome but I don't think it aged that well. You gotta try some Company of Heroes man... hard to go back to any RTS after that.

Fix'd

Seriously. Fix'd. I can't even comprehend how I used to find moving around the map to not be a painful experience.

Double Fix'd.

I don't usually play WWII games, but CoH AI=win.

Oh, and to add to the original topic, Warcraft III--July 2002, so it also just makes it. (Warcraft III is of course the exception to the rule of my playing other RTS's described above.)

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

COH's AI was ported from...

Dawn of War

Warcraft 3 may be elidgable but it's aged poorly IMHO. It was mostly a pretty game when it came out and it ain't too pretty anymore. The Gameplay had some innovations but it's miles behind modern RTS games. Old RTS games don't age well at all IMHO. Warcraft III may be a classic, but it has not aged well. Look at Warcraft II! Best RTS out there for years and, frankly, to play it now is just torture.

I really don't think any RTS games should be on this list.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

Pfft. I still think Warcraft II is one of, if not the, greatest RTS ever made.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Pfft. I still think Warcraft II is one of, if not the, greatest RTS ever made.
But the problem is that interface often makes or breaks an RTS. I played Starcraft a few months ago after not playing it for years, and it was torturous. Command groups didn't work very well (and the cap of 12 is far too small), you couldn't have workers rally on a resource, you couldn't have multiple buildings in a command group, and various other things.

The central mechanics of Starcraft could be great. But if it's annoying to play the game? They're just simply not worth it.

FACM

Postby FACM » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:59 am UTC

Sadly, no mater how much Fallout, Baulder's Gate, Planescape, etc, get promoted, I can't finish them. It's not that they're hard, its the engine. I cannot tolerate that engine for more than an hour.

(Exception: Planescape made it through about 8 total, but since it's mostly text and decision based, I didn't get frustrated with moving around nearly as fast. I really, really liked what I saw, but I refuse to move farther in until I can see it in a different engine. This likely means I'll never actually beat it. Yes, I know the avatar implies that I'm a huge PS:T nut, and I am, from what I've played and read of it. I love games that try to make you think about what you're doing, and think that there needs to be more.)

If they were made available in some other form, I'd give them another shot. I wonder if there's any Neverwinter Nights mods for them...

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:12 am UTC

Majesty (Gold Edition): released 2002

O-R-B: Copyright 2002 by Strategy First. I do not know if that is the game's actual age.

That said, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms (1999)

Also, most likely Homeworld (????)
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:18 am UTC

mosc wrote:Warcraft 3 may be elidgable but it's aged poorly IMHO. It was mostly a pretty game when it came out and it ain't too pretty anymore. The Gameplay had some innovations but it's miles behind modern RTS games. Old RTS games don't age well at all IMHO. Warcraft III may be a classic, but it has not aged well.

Custom maps. And wc3 still does things well I've not seen another be able to match (heroes and general spellcasting, for instance).

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:40 am UTC

Sadly, no mater how much Fallout, Baulder's Gate, Planescape, etc, get promoted, I can't finish them. It's not that they're hard, its the engine. I cannot tolerate that engine for more than an hour.
Exactly. I can't play through those games again (even the ones I'm terribly nostalgic for), because I remember everything (that sense of discovery when I was 10? Gone.) and the base game is so... outdated (AD&D? Ugh).

Majesty (Gold Edition): released 2002
Eh. I liked this one until I realized just how little influence I had over the heroes, but I'll give it another shot.

O-R-B: Copyright 2002 by Strategy First. I do not know if that is the game's actual age.
Release Date(s) November 8, 2002 (North America)

Homeworld (????)
Release date(s) November 15, 1999

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:03 am UTC

Rodan wrote:Those old Lucas Arts Games:
Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Island games, Tie Fighter

I definitely know DOTT has aged well. Can't say the same about the original though...

Lost the disk for Tie Fighter a LOOOONG time ago, so I don't really remember too much about it.

After that, the only great old Lucas Arts games I have are Full Throttle (biased on it, never really cared for it's interface), and Sam & Max Hit the Road (has aged-well). I also have some poorly-aged old Lucas Arts Star Wars FPS, and the good recent LEGO Star Wars games.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:55 am UTC

Neverwinter Nights was released in 2002, though it's the community mods that have held up well in my opinion.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:32 am UTC

What can I add... Albion? The Dig? Anacreon? I'll think of more.

I had planned to try The Dig for years and finally managed two years ago or so, and finished it without any long pauses, it was really good.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:42 am UTC

Freelancer

blackeye

Postby blackeye » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:26 am UTC

age of empires 2...for mac
starcraft (you're weird if you try and use a bunch of fancy commands...weirdo)
civ3 is still alive
oregon trail
lucas arts adventure games(screw starwars, its dead)
pirates! (I personally love anything pirate related)

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:40 am UTC

Morrowind very seconded.

Thief was wonderful, and I played it far to much.

Alpha Centauri is the most addicting strategy game I have ever played with the possible exceptions of Age of Wonders and the various Age of Empires.

And of course the Monkey Island games.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:23 am UTC

im replaying halflife at the moment, still good.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Freelancer

That game could get ridiculously hard.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:19 pm UTC

blackeye wrote:pirates! (I personally love anything pirate related)

Pirates! is so awesome. I get so addicted. And the mods are for the win. (It's how my character always looks female. Granted, it turns all the governor's daughters into lesbians, but who cares?)
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

Kawa wrote:Granted, it turns all the governor's daughters into lesbians, but that's awesome)

They/them

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

GRIM FANDANGO

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

This may only apply to me, but Sim Copter is still alive and well in my mind.

They/them

Return to “Gaming”