Looking for Class Hobbies

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Jean

Looking for Class Hobbies

Postby Jean » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:12 am UTC

I need a hobby to keep myself busy in class. >: Something interesting to work on, but nothing too terribly distracting. I'm a junior in high school so... yeah. I currently have all notebook and pencil classes, so my only resources is what I bring.

_Axle_

Re: Looking for Class Hobbies

Postby _Axle_ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:35 am UTC

In class, like when you should be paying attention and taking notes?

Other than doing the 2 things above, you didn't really list off much to help with. If you are artistic, make sketches in your notepad. If you are more number strong ( sciences, math, programming, etc ), maybe read ahead in class if you carry your books with you, else scratch problems down and try and solve them during class. If you are literature strong, write story ideas down or what not.
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:13 am UTC

_Axle_ wrote:In class, like when you should be paying attention and taking notes?

Other than doing the 2 things above, you didn't really list off much to help with. If you are artistic, make sketches in your notepad. If you are more number strong ( sciences, math, programming, etc ), maybe read ahead in class if you carry your books with you, else scratch problems down and try and solve them during class. If you are literature strong, write story ideas down or what not.

Well you see D: I can't work ahead for instance in my Spanish classes because we learn at the rate the teacher teaches the material, since there isn't much of a book to work with, nor will she let her bored students work on anything else. I pay attention in my science and math classes, but in history... bleh. No good. I actually wrote a lot when I was bored in Spanish, but it's difficult to find inspiration to write about with little interaction. I was writing about Jellyfish and how much I hate them and think they're useless for a day or two, then about making a flying boat using hot air balloons. Now I got nothin'.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:41 am UTC

Crossword. This is what I do during heat transfer.

Reverse Transcriptase

Postby Reverse Transcriptase » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:27 pm UTC

Palindromes. Pick three letters as a "center" and built out. Try to use certain combinations of letters/words. When you get good at it, try to tell a story.

DorkRawk

Postby DorkRawk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

You could engage in the time tested tradition of drawing in the margins. I'm requesting that my master degree come with a focus in doodling due to the amount of drawing I've done on my notes (it's also helped me get a bit better at drawing too!)

Or you could start writing a story. Start with your current situation (sitting in class being bored) and then write from there. Make something interesting happen... the teacher suddenly starts turning the lessons into communist propaganda, the kid behind you bursts into flames, you unexpectedly go deaf and mute, etc.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Jean wrote:I need a hobby to keep myself busy in class. >: Something interesting to work on, but nothing too terribly distracting. I'm a junior in high school so... yeah. I currently have all notebook and pencil classes, so my only resources is what I bring.

I used to bring a piece of graph paper with a set of go problems on it to some of my more tedious classes. A Sudoku or something could work too. I've also been known to put random combinations of functions on my notebooks and try to figure out ways to integrate them.

Yes, I'm a nerd.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:54 am UTC

Reverse Transcriptase wrote:Palindromes. Pick three letters as a "center" and built out. Try to use certain combinations of letters/words. When you get good at it, try to tell a story.

Will try this o3o Sounds like fun. Kinda like scrabble, but with unlimited letters, or somethin' like that?

DorkRawk wrote:Or you could start writing a story. Start with your current situation (sitting in class being bored) and then write from there. Make something interesting happen... the teacher suddenly starts turning the lessons into communist propaganda, the kid behind you bursts into flames, you unexpectedly go deaf and mute, etc.

I will try this. Strange stories of my experiences in class. Sounds like fun ;D

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:57 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Yes, I'm a nerd.

Unless you have the tape on glasses, braces, the lisp, and a pocket with a protector full of pens, you're not a nerd. >: Btw, nothing wrong with what you're doing; at all. It's good stuff man.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:44 am UTC

Sometimes if I'm in a class where I really do need to pay attention but have trouble staying focused, I bring an egg of Silly Putty and play with it while I'm listening. It actually helps me focus a little more, I can do it fairly unobtrusively, and I can just keep it in one hand so I can take notes if I need to. Little mindless things like that - stuff that just keeps my hands busy and lets my mind actually focus on what it needs to - it's surprisingly helpful.

On the other hand, if you're in a class where you really honestly have nothing to do, then I can't be of much help there. I've never come up with anything good, short of doodling or starting homework early. The above suggestions seem good, though.

(I quote a friend of mine: "I have to go to my physics lecture! When else am I going to do my CS lab?")

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

existentialpanda wrote:Sometimes if I'm in a class where I really do need to pay attention but have trouble staying focused, I bring an egg of Silly Putty and play with it while I'm listening. It actually helps me focus a little more, I can do it fairly unobtrusively, and I can just keep it in one hand so I can take notes if I need to. Little mindless things like that - stuff that just keeps my hands busy and lets my mind actually focus on what it needs to - it's surprisingly helpful.

On the other hand, if you're in a class where you really honestly have nothing to do, then I can't be of much help there. I've never come up with anything good, short of doodling or starting homework early. The above suggestions seem good, though.

(I quote a friend of mine: "I have to go to my physics lecture! When else am I going to do my CS lab?")

I enjoy little projects to keep my attention, I.E. ... writing bullshit stories as somebody suggested :D was pretty fun.

sidek

Postby sidek » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
Jean wrote:I need a hobby to keep myself busy in class. >: Something interesting to work on, but nothing too terribly distracting. I'm a junior in high school so... yeah. I currently have all notebook and pencil classes, so my only resources is what I bring.

I used to bring a piece of graph paper with a set of go problems on it to some of my more tedious classes. A Sudoku or something could work too. I've also been known to put random combinations of functions on my notebooks and try to figure out ways to integrate them.

Yes, I'm a nerd.

How did you draw out the go board? Just with 1 square = 1 go square? I tried to do some go problems on graphing paper, and it was a terrible mess.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:02 am UTC

Do something that occupies your hands, like weaving hemp necklaces/bracelets. I was selling them on the side, it kept my hands busy, and I could still pay attention in class.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

I drew rectangular prisms in 2-point perspective. But I made sure that no more than two boxes overlapped, and I didn't erase any lines, so the boxes looked transparent. Then I assigned each box a primary color, and the overlapping areas became the appropriate secondary color. Good times.
I also drew Sierpinski triangles. And these weird 3-D space cities based on an art lesson from 4th grade.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

You need to see this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart

She does some amazingly awesome 'doodle games' and they're actually relatively informative too!

Ivor Zozz

Postby Ivor Zozz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:You need to see this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart

She does some amazingly awesome 'doodle games' and they're actually relatively informative too!

Excellent! Thanks for that.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:You need to see this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart

I was about to suggest one of her videos...

I like working on chainmaille armor during the the more boring classes, but that requires tools, materials, and a lot of investment. It also tended to get me too enthralled in my work and miss things.

a neutral gray

Postby a neutral gray » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:20 am UTC

Jean wrote:Well you see D: I can't work ahead for instance in my Spanish classes because we learn at the rate the teacher teaches the material, since there isn't much of a book to work with, nor will she let her bored students work on anything else.

Have you tried asking for extension material? This works particularly well at private schools where you provide the teacher's income.
Otherwise you can try something like origami. (Can you make 1000 lucky stars?) Or make a challenge for yourself. i.e. What is the fewest number of pronouns a language needs? (Or something to that extent in something you are interested in.) If you are really desperate, try the titan test. [EDIT] Or you can try the linguistics olympiad (search for ioling) problems, they are mostly logic, and require no linguistics knowledge. They are a lot of fun. [/EDIT]
LaserGuy wrote:I used to bring a piece of graph paper with a set of go problems on it to some of my more tedious classes. A Sudoku or something could work too. I've also been known to put random combinations of functions on my notebooks and try to figure out ways to integrate them.

Yes, I'm a nerd.

Why have I not been doing this in English? You, Sir, are a genius.

Andvari

Postby Andvari » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:08 am UTC

I have tetris and blockdude on my calculator, and that's what I resort to when I'm bored in class. People think I just like calculating things.

k3apples

Postby k3apples » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Penspinning :o

Honestly, once you get the hang of it it's insanely addictive-

bradherbig

Postby bradherbig » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

I used to have Haiku battles with my friend in English junior year of high school. They were pretty fun for still having some relevance to the class. We actually gave our teacher some of the Haikus after we graduated... :P

Return to “School”