WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:16 am UTC

Demo has way superior aoe but it is the lowest DPS spec still with the most work involved.

What's maddening about demo is how bad mastery is, and how the felguard-- keystone ability-- is actually mediocre. Outside of Felstorm, he autoattacks every 2 secs for 1.7-2k, every 6 secs a 5k legion strike.

Affliction dps pet is succubus glyphed with Lash of Pain-- every GCD she hits for 3-3.2k. Wildly outdamaging the felguard on average outside Felstorm burst phases.

The imp for destruction pelts 2600 firebolts every 1.5 secs (GCD basically) with Burning Embers DoT doing ~700-836 ticks every second.


Demo has poor glyph choices relative to the other specs. Aff gets strong prime glyphs for short cooldown rotational abilities like Haunt, BoA, and Lash of Pain. Destro boasts Conflagrate, Imp (which does ~30% of my damage as destro), and Immolate.

Demo instead gets crappy choices. 6 extra seconds on Metamorphosis amounts to around 3-4 more casts with 30% damage bonus. Every 2-3 min depending on Impending Doom procs. Then you have Glyph of Incinerate for 6% chance Molten Core procs. The only decent glyph being Immolate. Glyph of Felguard is pathetic-- 5% extra damage to a 5k nuke on a 6 sec cd is underpowered.

Then you have a fucked up spec thanks to Imp. Soul Fire, and needing to take the talent for reducing Soul Fire's cast as well since keeping up the proc is essential. So You gotta fill out Imp. Immolate, Bane, but leave only 1 point left for Shadow and Flame-- giving a 33% chance for the 5% crit buff application and only getting a 4% boost to your filler nuke instead of 12%.


In a raid environment with all the crap going on demo is just annoying to play:

1- Use Meta on cooldown.
2- Use Demonsoul on cooldown.
3- Keep Improved Soul Fire up. The buff does not refresh so you gotta time Soul Fire to land right as the buff wears off.
4- Keep Immolation up
5- Hand of Gul'dan
6-Felstorm on cooldown
7-BoD
8-Corruption
9- Incinerate if Molten Core procs
10- Shadowbolt

Outside of Metamorphosis-- Demo has crappy burst and long hard casts. This is bad in raid environments when you want freedom of movement without hurting your DPS too much.

I like destro best because it has the least ramp up and has a reasonable rotation that allows me to keep my eyes on the raiding environment as well instead of watching constantly DoT timers and procs/cooldowns. It is the least cooldown dependent spec to get going DPS wise. Moving and using fel flame is the least deleterious to this spec as your key debuff to keep up is Immolate (which fel flame renews), while affliction can still have haunt fall off and corruption with it (because fell flame only renews UA).

Affliction will be good in fights where there are no adds to worry about-- it has good mobility and self-healing. But having to move at a bad time can cost you bad with Haunt falling off-- Shadow Embrace as well.

P.S. All caster AoE outside fire mage and demo lock is garbage. Melee got the way better deal with the aoe nerf, since most crap that needs to be aoe'd down moves quickly and the targeted aoe now costs a crapload of mana and has very poor output to be worth it.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:Demo has way superior aoe but it is the lowest DPS spec still with the most work involved.


Well, yeah, but the utterly ridiculous felstorm makes up for it. And then felstorm + meta + demon leap + immolation aura + aoe of your choice... yeah... burst.
Plus having all those spells to manage is more fun than the other spec. And felstorm on cooldown is not hard. Just stick a /cast felstorm in every macro and that's it.

Last night at 3AM we had 3 warlocks at dps. On overall dps we demo warlocks did twice as much damage as the destro one, and on boss fights we had about the same output.
Also, banish spam was amusing. Three people trying to remove banish at the same time = lulz.
Also, I'm always, always at the top of recount, unless facing at better geared demo lock. And that's despite being 84 when everyone is 85. On dungeons, that is.

PS: You forgot shadowflame!

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

And I thought because of the Felhunters shadowbite 5% bonus per each periodic shadow spell on the target, that that little spiky lion thing was the way to go over Succubus?

But seriously, Lucrece, what the fuck is up with Seed of Corruption? It does 3k damage overall, but once 1k damage has been dealt, it does a small amount of AoE and vanishes from the target. Oh, and it costs nearly three times as much as Unstable Affliction, and nearly 7x as much as Corruption. Even with the Soulburn effect of adding Corruption to everyone it explodes on, I can think of ZERO circumstances in which I want to use SoC, which pisses me off, because I just spent large chunks of my weekend grinding from 68 to 72 to get it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:I'm greatly annoyed by tailoring and Enchanting. At 525 Enchanting, 510 tailoring.
Enchanting's top 525 recipes need maelstrom crystals, which are obtained by disenchanting epics. Except epics can only be accessed by raids now, so you're competing against 9 other people for a maelstrom crystal because for some reason Blizzard had the brilliant idea to give a disenchanting option along with greed/need, fucking enchanters over.

Speaking as someone who's main is a tailor/enchanter and who is now leveling a second character from 80-85 as an alchemist/herbalist, I agree that leveling tailoring and enchantings sucks terribly. I disagree that offering the disenchanting option screws enchanters over though. There's no particular reason unwanted gear should default to me. The only difference between everyone greeding and me sharding the results if I win and everyone choosing disenchant is that more mats will hit the AH, bringing the price of enchanting mats down in the long run.
Last edited by JudeMorrigan on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:43 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

Well, except in the dungeon finder, where people capitalizing on your skill as a disenchanter are flooding their own realms' AHs with the mats. But whatever.

Personally I think it's best to just view unwanted gear as extra gold. If you disenchant it, in an ideal market system, all you've done is bypass the step of turning that gold into mats. Unfortunately, WoW's AH is not an ideal market system.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

Hit 85 on friday and ran a billion heroics over the weekend. I love them! Some of them are quite difficult, but mostly because other people aren't following mechanics properly. We went through 5 tanks on the third boss of Stonecore because they couldn't figure out how to not get hit by Shatter/Groundslam.

Lots of fun, and gearing up isn't taking long at all, should be full 346 in the next few days.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby ProZac » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:The enchants needing maelstrom crystals are not needed to reach 525. I got there already. What's happening is that all that farming and money means shit because unless I raid or buy the crystals from those that were lucky to get some while raiding, I'm screwed and don't get to benefit from being a 525 enchanter, at ALL.

Thinking about where to put the enchants? The progression's very clear. 333>346>359. It's not like you're swapping weapons constantly with so much competition for them.

The problem is spending 6k fucking gold to reach 525 because Enchanters can't farm their mats, and then finding that on top of that 6k gold you know have to wait to either raid and hope nobody needs an epic so you can roll against 9-24 people to get a maelstrom crystal, or you pay upwards of 10k gold in crafted epics just to disenchant them.

They either need to make maelstrom crystals drop from disenchanted heroic loot, or introduce a daily for it.

For tailoring, each goddamned volatile is ~30-50g, and you need 30 of them per dreamcloth recipe. Farming them, in an hour I got 10 at best. With no competition for mobs. Guess who you will buy volatiles from? Any other profession-- alchemists get to transmute volatile life they get from herbing to sell those volatiles in turn.

Every other profession has a fairly reliable way of farming their mats-- except enchanters and tailors, who just NEED to buy mats or armor to disenchant off the AH.

The current system bars anyone who doesn't raid from gaining the best weapon enchants. PvP'ers are screwed, and casuals are screwed.

I don't see why you have issue with the way Tailors get mats. There is a "Northrend scavenging" equivalent, it just doesn't show. Tailors can definitely pick up extra cloth off of already looted mobs, which puts you at an advantage of not needing a second profession to supply your crafting. Enchanting and Tailoring are the only ones that have that claim. Needing volatiles is true of all the crafting professions, at least the ones I've looked at (which is to say, not Enchanting and JC). As for alchemists transmuting, at least on my server, volatile life has the highest price at 15g each. Also, you don't get to choose which you transmute to, so doing it is just a bad idea. Embersilk cloth on the other hand, is selling for 8g per, which seems insane. Also, I see no issue with 'casuals' not being able to get the best enchants/crafts/gear. PvP'ers on the other hand, are another story, but PvP always seems to take a backseat in WoW. I hear TB is horrendously unbalanced currently, and rated BGs are broken as well.

Guild is working our way through heroics. Each one takes a long time, but we've yet to turn our backs away from one. Still have not braved the finder on getting a group for one yet. They all seem so simple in retrospect but people keep making stupid mistakes and screwing up. Stepping into Tornadoes on the 2nd boss of H VP, or not running from the add on the 3rd boss of H Grim Batol. Any thoughts on what the most difficult heroic is? I haven't tried Origination yet, nor do I really want to since there's so many damn bosses.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Obby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

On Heroic I've been to all but HoO and GB. Lost City was easily the hardest, I think. The DOTs and stuff from the crocolisk boss and the damage aura from the one that summons the pheonix make it a real pain on healers. It could be that our healer just sucked, though, I dunno. I'm not brave enough to try healing anything yet on my priest.

I thought that VP was really easy, though. We wiped once on the dragon boss because people didn't move out of the way of his ice breath (which does ~50k damage), but other than that it went very smoothly.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I don't see why you have issue with the way Tailors get mats. There is a "Northrend scavenging" equivalent, it just doesn't show. Tailors can definitely pick up extra cloth off of already looted mobs

Really? I've seen no evidence of this on my tailor.

Needing volatiles is true of all the crafting professions, at least the ones I've looked at (which is to say, not Enchanting and JC). As for alchemists transmuting, at least on my server, volatile life has the highest price at 15g each. Also, you don't get to choose which you transmute to, so doing it is just a bad idea. Embersilk cloth on the other hand, is selling for 8g per, which seems insane. Also, I see no issue with 'casuals' not being able to get the best enchants/crafts/gear. PvP'ers on the other hand, are another story, but PvP always seems to take a backseat in WoW. I hear TB is horrendously unbalanced currently, and rated BGs are broken as well.

In fairness, prices can vary wildly by server. For example, volatile lifes are going for ~8g each on my server. Volatile airs, on the other hand, fluxated between 45 and 60g over the weekend. Even without having my transmute spec proc, I turned a tidy profit transmuting volatile lifes and happening to have them turn into volatile airs this weekend. Embersilk is going from 200-250g per stack. U.S. Runetotem's economy is just wacked.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

Justice Points should be allowed to buy gems/chaos orbs/volatiles. Right now I'm capped at 4k with nothing to spend them on as I'm already geared for raiding and 17% hit capped as a caster.

By the way, TRANSMUTE IS NOT RANDOM. It will give volatiles according to what zone you're in. Vash'jir= Water, Deepholm= Earth, Uldum= Air, etc.

The issue with tailoring mats is quantity. You might think a random chance (I'd say 1/3 on average) of getting 2-4 cloth is good, but when each craft takes 10-12 bolts of embersilk (you need 5 cloth per bolt, so 50-60 cloth) in addition to the volatiles, it gets crazy. Then you get to crafting Dreamcloth, and each will cost you 30 of each volatile. Have you tried farming 30 volatiles? It's like 2 hours of farming or more, or you have to buy them. And unfortunately, the mobs you have to farm for volatile do not drop cloth.

And, yeah, already sick of heroics-- now only raiding is going to satisfy me. I geared with half of my runs being premades and half being PUGs. I'm already burnt out on heroics.

But now I'm farming for that rare stone drake mount in Deepholm ;)

P.S. I didn't say demo warlocks have no burst-- I said they seldom do. A 3 min cd with felstorm does not come close to a Conflagrate>Chaosbolt combo every 8-12 secs with probable Empowered Imp procs factored in-- not to mention the permanent 1.5 sec cast Incinerates with Backdraft up.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Midnight » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:14 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Justice Points should be allowed to buy gems/chaos orbs/volatiles. Right now I'm capped at 4k with nothing to spend them on as I'm already geared for raiding and 17% hit capped as a caster.

By the way, TRANSMUTE IS NOT RANDOM. It will give volatiles according to what zone you're in. Vash'jir= Water, Deepholm= Earth, Uldum= Air, etc.

I didn't say demo warlocks have no burst-- I said they seldom do. A 3 min cd with felstorm does not come close to a Conflagrate>Chaosbolt combo every 8-12 secs with probable Empowered Imp procs factored in-- not to mention the permanent 1.5 sec cast Incinerates with Backdraft up.


-Justice points will let you buy that stuff eventually. As I recall, you couldn't get frozen orbs at the start of wrath, could you? Well, if you could, this is a bit different cause chaos orbs are BoP. You definitely couldn't get gems cause there weren't epic gems yet (much like there are no epics now) and IMO volatiles are pretty easy to get.

-I believe the transmute is random if you're not in a cata zone, but due to the cooldown and the fact that I only like xmuting in Uldum to make Air (=max profit), I haven't done extensive testing. And I think it's what... most likely Life in Hyjal, which leaves Fire in twilight highlands (which seems illogical. would've put fire in uldum and air in twilight highlands or something)

-I wouldn't call a high dps combo every 8-12 seconds "burst." I mean, shockwave has a 20 second cooldown and I don't call it burst, cause I use it practically every time it lights up. I'll agree that demo is definitely way more bursty, but that's great in heroics cause you rarely have that much chance to sit around and do a ton of sustained damage.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

It's not a high DPS combo. It's like calling CL>Lavaburst a high DPS combo.

The point is getting off extremely high damage in a short time window. And Conflagrate is critting at 34k for me with a 15% increased crit chance on top of my already 17% crit chance. An instant cast hard hitter followed by a 1 sec 12k nuke. Demo just can't do that kind of burst outside of Metamorphosis-- but destro can down those critical adds rather rapidly and consistently because the cooldown is available for every add phase.

Demo just doesn't have short casts and hard hitting instants with increased crit modifiers on demand and short cooldown like destro does. It's one of the reasons why the spec suffers in PvP compared to affliction and destro (affliction for AoE pressure and DoT dispel protection, destro because of the unholy amounts of burst on short casts that are hard to interrupt and don't share the same school as your fear and utility shadow spells).
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby FoS » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:13 am UTC

mike-l wrote:
FoS wrote:I don't know how most of you found changing items as you level but I'm still rocking all of my T10 and quite a few of my 80 items.
Last night I finally replaced my 277 Nibelunging and my Rings. I've just found that either the items have the wrong stats for me (Mastery is rubbish for Boomkins) or it's just not good enough to warrant breaking my 4pc set bonus.

I'm still pushing really good DPS so it's not been much of a bother but I know it's going to become a problem when I hit 85 tonight because my average ilevel is going to be so low.

Isn't Intellect by far the most important stat for you though? I know it is as resto, and even completely ignoring the secondary stats, the 308+ gear is an upgrade from my 277s.


Izawwlgood wrote:I wager it'll take you longer to break your set bonuses, but A) mastery isn't rubbish, and B) better gear is better gear man. I'm obviously not swapping over to +agil for my ele shammie, but when something better comes along, take it.

I've seen a lot of people rocking their purples still, and I don't really get it. Yeah you worked long hours for that stuff, but now you're simply wearing it for the cosmetic purposes? Lamesauce. If you're still using 277 items, you're missing out on A LOT.


Mastery can only be described as horse shit for Boomkins. It effectively only has any effect on half of our rotation and therefore trails on the Stat list somewhere only slightly above strength for preference.

Even with the increased Int on the higher iLevel items while leveling they couldn't compare to most of my 277 because my 277 was raiding gear and therefore gemmed and enchanted optimally. I would have had to do the same with the lower iLevel Cata items for them to be better.

I've now replaced almost all my Wrath gear. I think I'm only using my Trink off Halion still but thats really just because of bad luck so far.
I had the trink in BRK drop a few times and I've lost each of the rolls.
I've also been grabbing Spirit gear instead of Hit gear and I'm now at a point where mana isn't the huge issue it was initially. Thanks to the Hit Talent Spirit actually makes for a better Stat choice to reach Hit cap then Hit rating, even if it makes the healers cry a little.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

captainwin
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:33 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby captainwin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

Is using single target HotR + Inq ever more beneficial than using CS? Consider this question at varying levels of Vengeance as well. Would HotR with a 30% boost scale any better than CS once Vengeance is maxed? I looked around the interweb and couldn't find the formula's for calculating CS and HotR damage, and so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

FoS wrote:I've also been grabbing Spirit gear instead of Hit gear and I'm now at a point where mana isn't the huge issue it was initially. Thanks to the Hit Talent Spirit actually makes for a better Stat choice to reach Hit cap then Hit rating, even if it makes the healers cry a little.

Fortunately there isn't much hit/int leather anyway.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Only need 346 trinkets now. Halfway to exalted with Hellscream's Reach, though, so I'll have the epic 359 trinket soon at least. Almost 525 tailoring as well. Currently have epic gloves and boots, working on necklace and then will craft pants and belt. Will have a nice kit of 359's while just beginning to raid.

This game is perverse, though. When I have no competition, it never drops relevant items, and when I do my rolls fail miserably countless times.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Midnight » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

my server's tiny and horde dominates alliance, so Tol Barad is like, 10 on 10... it's been difficult for me to rep up with Hellscream's. I really do need another good trinket. My green 318 one is by far my weakest link.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Obby » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Man, it's so frustrating to get a complete fail group after waiting in the queue for 45 minutes... Tank was standing in one spot for each pull and refusing to grab any of the mobs that sprint past him to the healer. If the healer wasn't dying due to loose mobs, he wasn't keeping anyone alive (lolpenancespam). The warlock decided that he'd try to fear mobs over and over the entire time, even ones the tank was attempting to tank. And then everyone starts blaming everyone else for everyone's mistakes... We didn't even make it past the first trash pull (Grim Batol, if you were curious).

I'm pretty sure that they all decided to throw reason out the window and purposefully try to be terrible, because no one can honestly be that bad and still think that they'll get it right sooner or later.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

What I like is that boss battles sequentially tell you who's going to fail on the next encounter.

Take heroic Stonecore, for example. If you see the tank eating a facefull of Crystal shower, you know that Ozruk will one-shot him with Ground Slam until you decide to kick that fail tank and get a competent one.

The funny thing is that tanks are always the ones who are most full of shit. They think their play is flawless-- that the problem is always the healer or the strat or the people who don't move because he's too fucking a moron to position the boss properly.

Seriously, the third bosses on Stonecore and Blackrock Caverns are the tank filter between decent/mediocre tank and actually good tanks. This one tank was geared in full 346 with epics, kept dying to Ozruk. In comes a way lesser geared tank who flawlessly tanks this boss with little issue for the healer and DPS.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

I had a tank in deadmines who I swear was determined to get me cleaved by the Foe Reaper. I'd run behind the boss, he'd run through him to turn him around. I'd run further back, he'd back up too. It may have just been coincidence since there's a lot of movement in the fight, but it was pretty humorous whether it was intentional or not.

Ozruk though... he just cycles through bad tanks. Fortunately I think my tanking gear is at the heroic level finally so I may switch over. (and be a fail tank :))
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Take heroic Stonecore, for example. If you see the tank eating a facefull of Crystal shower, you know that Ozruk will one-shot him with Ground Slam until you decide to kick that fail tank and get a competent one.


Ground slam - okay, but how the fuck do you get out of Shatter in time? Intervene is not always ready...
The only way I was able to get trough this boss was take my druid father along and tell him to mash soothe. Meh.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

He will Shatter after Paralysis, so you start moving away as soon as that Paralysis is being done.


What you do is that there are to walls to his sides. You tank with your back to the wall and Ozruk right in front of you. Each time he's casting something you switch over to the other wall.

It's all about timing, once you get it down it's a stupidly easy fight. Sort of like Corla from BRC-- tunnel vision will cost you the fight.


All these heroics are very clever preparatory for raiding. You'll notice when you get to raiding as I did in beta just how much of the elements seen on heroics are seen elevated in the raiding environment. Blizzard does go about giving people hints on encounters.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
WarDaft
Posts: 1583
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby WarDaft » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:10 am UTC

One group I was in spent so long wiping on the Quicksilver boss - went through about 6 tanks I think - that I, the healer, offered to change my off-spec to prot to tank it... in odd tank gear scraps I picked up leveling. I promised the group (despite having not tanked *anything* in something like a year - that's right, I wasn't even accustomed to Holy Power tanking) that I would do it in no more than two tries, as I might not quite have the edge pinned down in one try... and I kept that promise.

How do 6 tanks in a row have trouble on that? This wasn't immediately after launch either, this was just a few days ago.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:50 am UTC

Eh, when I see a fail group like that we skip right down to final boss in BRC. Free easy valor points with a fail group, as you only need to do Corla and then you can skip the rest.

And I hate farming volatiles. 30 of each kind per dreamcloth is not a pleasant experience, I'll just say that much. Close to getting enough dreamcloth for pants, though!
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Midnight » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:05 am UTC

My guild just did a run of BRC, getting every achievement except the one for the last boss. That's especially irritating because his achievement is one of the easiest, but the mob I was kiting, as a fury warrior, was bugging out on me. It didn't stop casting it's healing debuff, ever. I would heroic leap 40 yards away and intervene another 30 yards away and he'd still be casting. Everyone else's mob was fine. I was at 96% healing reduction until Obsidius or whatever his name is switched with my mob.

...very frustrating, but we did do Tol'Vir achievements (except the last boss, cause that one... is nigh impossible with two melee dps and a slightly undergeared healer) and all of the Vortex Pinnacle achievements.
uhhhh fuck.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Ground slam - okay, but how the fuck do you get out of Shatter in time? Intervene is not always ready...
The only way I was able to get trough this boss was take my druid father along and tell him to mash soothe. Meh.

Soothe? What? How does this work... (I'm a druid healer, if I could make tanks not fail I'd love to know how!)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Obby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

It removes enrages from mobs.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

It's so dumb getting used to using the Succubus instead of the Felguard as demo....


Felguard autoattack: 1.7-2.2k every 2 seconds, 5k Legion Strike every 6 seconds. 6k tick Felstorm every 45 secs.

Succubus: Lash of Pain every 1.5 secs, at 5-5.3k. That's 5k+ nuke every fucking global, blowing the felguard out of the water unless heavy AoE is needed. For bosses, you'll currently be using the succubus.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Obby wrote:It removes enrages from mobs.


Yes I know that. How does it apply to Ozruk though, who one shots people that get hit by his moves?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby ProZac » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

I ran Heroic Deadmines last night and didn't complete it b/c the Worgens on the final boss evade bugged :evil: . So much for those Valor Points. It also surprises me how impatient some people are. I've yet to do a heroic with all random people, but frequently I'll go with 4 guildies and get a random dps. Also, most of us haven't run all the heroics yet, so there's a bit of a learning experience there, but the random dps almost always have no patience. Marking up CC targets? "Just pull already". Screw up a boss mechanic (since it's the first time for us)? "WTF are you doing?" Had a dps leave yesterday because we wiped twice on the Mechanical boss in Deadmines. Another joined and *immediately dropped*. How long was that queue? How long will they wait again? Got the next one and we went through the rest of the instance with no more wipes. In fact, those were the only ones in the entire instance. Not like they did end up missing out on Valor points or anything though.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
Obby wrote:It removes enrages from mobs.


Yes I know that. How does it apply to Ozruk though, who one shots people that get hit by his moves?


Because on his melee smacks, a 50% increase is heavily noticeable :p.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
mike-l wrote:
Obby wrote:It removes enrages from mobs.


Yes I know that. How does it apply to Ozruk though, who one shots people that get hit by his moves?


Because on his melee smacks, a 50% increase is heavily noticeable :p.


Shatter and Ground Slam both 1 shot a tank, 50% increase or not. The regular melee is easily healable even with the enrage.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:
mike-l wrote:
Obby wrote:It removes enrages from mobs.


Yes I know that. How does it apply to Ozruk though, who one shots people that get hit by his moves?


Because on his melee smacks, a 50% increase is heavily noticeable :p.


Shatter and Ground Slam both 1 shot a tank, 50% increase or not. The regular melee is easily healable even with the enrage.


Then apparently the healers I pug with suck.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

Would seem that way. I've never seen an article or strat on Ozruk that even mentions the enrage, other than when they list the abilities. I just roll 3 LB and keep them refreshed, and really don't have much to do except wait for the tank to screw up and die.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

captainwin wrote:Is using single target HotR + Inq ever more beneficial than using CS? Consider this question at varying levels of Vengeance as well. Would HotR with a 30% boost scale any better than CS once Vengeance is maxed? I looked around the interweb and couldn't find the formula's for calculating CS and HotR damage, and so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.


My understanding is that CS scales better with gear. Also keep in mind that CS triggers seals, so it benefits significantly from Inquisition.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

Hey, I'll try puggin as a healer.

People kick me because I have no heirlooms.
Tank leaves.
Tanks pulls when I'm oom, wipe, he blames me.
Warlock with voidwalker on passive aggroes a couple dozen troggs.
2 dps with resurrection sickness. Not enough dps, I eventually run out of mana on the first boss.
Tank doesn't keep aggro, mobs kick my clothed ass.

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS EVER

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

Dual spec 4 life. I much prefer signing up as damage cause there's less stress on my end.. and if the tank is fail, I can say "step aside, sucker"
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Cynical Idealist
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:18 am UTC

Reading about the frustrations with tailoring/enchanting makes me want to drop those for something else. But...I just can't bring myself to give up the rare patterns that I know. Especially the ones I spent ages farming for, even if I'll never use them again. Fuck you, Pattern: Robe of Winter Night. I got a goddamned Mature Blue Dragon Sinew off the Cobalt dragonkin before the pattern finally dropped.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:25 am UTC

Tiloring/Ench is only frustrating if you're like me and are on the gearing rush where you wanna stay ahead to make it into the progression raiding teams.

Otherwise you can take it slow and level both just fine.

Archaeology, on the other had..... /wrist


Optional my ass. You can get a raid quality epic staff, a caster ring, a healer trinket off it. That when most people are still not even suited up in full epics is downright mandatory, at least the staff.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Midnight » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:39 am UTC

Yeah, but it's totally optional. You CAN get these things. Maybe. If the RNG gods shine. Odds are, by the time they do, 359 isn't that good a tier of gear. Nothing is mandatory for raids besides, probably, an average ilevel of >333. Don't forget that plenty of guilds got 12/12 normals just from blues.

This blog post interested me.
uhhhh fuck.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests