1. Gay, Homosexual, Faggot, and other terms I'm neglecting to mention aren't appropriate descriptions. Such terms will be changed to whatever word happens to pop in my head at the time, regardless of how grammatically correct the new word is. Like aardvark, or phlegm. If I'm feeling nice. I may just delete the whole thing, regardless of any other content.
2. No links to copyrighted materials. It's on the internet for free. We know. If we cared enough, we'd find it ourselves. Don't try and be clever or coy about it, just don't do it.
3. Watch the flamebaiting/Disguised Postcount +1. Don't just say "X inker is terrible" or "X writer is the best ever!". Elaborate. The only thing more annoying than a post saying "X sucks" in the middle of a giant thread discussing it's merits is a giant thread of nothing but "Gee Willikers I love it!" with no other content.
4. Comics go here. Comics include Manga, Webcomics, The Sunday Funnies, Western Superhero Comics, and pretty much every combination of artwork + text. Yes, even Garfield.
5. Don't Be A Dick. High Culture is a pretty relaxed, free place. I like it like that. A certain amount of banter is to be expected and I'm fine with that. Calling a particular person an idiot... I'd really rather you didn't, and should someone call you an idiot, I'd prefer that you not respond in kind, but generally speaking if it's just a post or two, I'm going to let it slide. We're all relaxed, happy friends here, and I want it to stay that way.
That said, I will not tolerate insulting entire groups of people. I won't tolerate continued insults and belittlement. I won't tolerate constant jackassery...which is fairly ill-defined, I know. I suppose that if a thread is going along fine, someone enters the thread and says something, and an argument breaks out... well, okay. Heated posts for a little bit are one thing. Two pages of arguing are something else. There's a line in there somewhere and like pornography, I can't define it but I know it when I see it.
I have been given the tools to deal with this in a more effective manner, and as I'd much rather spend my moderating time merging like posts and deleting spam rather than being a playground chaperone, I plan on using this tool when I deem it necessary.
This tool doesn't remove you from Gaming, or Food, or Comics. It removes you from High Culture. So, yes, if you're being a jackass in Books it doesn't matter how much you've contributed to Movies - you're gone. I'm tired of dealing with it.
This is your warning.
is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com
Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."