The "Awesome Things You Have Made" Thread! NSF 56k

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Prelates, Moderators General

The "Awesome Things You Have Made" Thread! NSF 56k

Postby Shivahn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:05 am UTC

I noticed that, while many people have made awesome things, the forum doesn't have a thread for people to post about awesome things they have made. So, since I have just made some awesome things, I figured we needed one! Post the awesome things you've made here, with picture if possible.

For my contribution, I have pictures of something I made on Monday. I've been taking a few jewelry classes in the evening, and up until now hadn't made anything I was really proud of. But last class I made some sort of (ok, really) amateur looking rings. But they're still awesome, because I took a copper strip and a copper wire and turned them into these:

Spoiler:

(My apologies for the blurry picture, my camera is a beauty but doesn't do close up shots well, at least not with my current lenses.)

They look funny because I am terrible at soldering and because I didn't finish them. We're learning finishing techniques next week, but I didn't want to wait to make this thread because I MADE MYSELF A RING EVERYONE. If they turn out pretty I will post more pictures.

So what awesome things have you guys made?
Shivahn

Re: The "Awesome Things You Have Made" Thread! NSF 56k

Postby hintss » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:21 am UTC

"s/god/flying spaghetti monster/"
hintss

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:29 am UTC

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 am UTC

I like the stuff posted so far, especially the knit Cthulhu. I've been reading a Lovecraft collection. It's OK, but the stuff about non-Euclidean geometries that drive men mad isn't scary, maybe because I like M. C. Escher's stuff.

About a year ago, someone was throwing out a piano and left it by the side of the road. Before I could figure out how to get it home, it was ruined by a major rain storm. The owners smashed it up, and I grabbed all the keys I could find in the rubble and have been making things out of them:

Wreath (for lack of a better term):
Spoiler:

Faux wind chimes. Instead of each hanging thing being a pipe tuned to a different note, they're the keys corresponding to those notes:
Spoiler:

Face (it's straight, the photo is crooked):
Spoiler:

A while ago, a forumite named leaf posted an open invitation to stop by her house and learn blacksmithing from her husband and friends. I took her up on the offer and made the traditional first blacksmithing item, a hook:
Spoiler:

Midway through making the hook, I noticed that the pointed steel would make a good lawn daart shaft, so I made some of them next. I got a feather duster from the dollar store to make the flights. They work OK, though sometimes they land backwards:
Spoiler:

There's shop in my town that makes and sells glass blown objects. They also give lessons, teaching you how to make a paperwieght, Christmas ornament or vase. The paperweight sounded boring, and the vase lesson was $150, so I made an ornament (the orange one):
Spoiler:

Every summer there's a Japanese festival in Newport. One year they hade Raku painting, where you decorate pre-made clay bowls with special ink:
Spoiler:

Another booth showed you how to made pictures of fish by tracing them onto rice paper with special ink. It looks pretty good, but the photo didn't come out very well:
Spoiler:

As I mentioned in the collections thread, I'm a fan of the band Green Jellö. I made their Cowgod character by painting one of those artist's models they sell at craft stores and making a head out of foam and masking tape:
Spoiler:
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Isaac Hill

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 am UTC

Look at my avatar. I made that costume myself. WOOOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby electronic mily » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

This is a pretty bad picture, but I once made a scarf knitted with Sierpinski triangles.

electronic mily

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

Not a crafty person, but I want to have this in egosearch. Also, I didn't even realize we still did 56k warnings.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.
Sir_Elderberry

Postby Shivahn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Not a crafty person, but I want to have this in egosearch. Also, I didn't even realize we still did 56k warnings.

Eh, there's one on the desktop thread. I figured that it might be a good idea. I'm not sure if spoiler tags' contents are loaded when you open the page.

These are all awesome things! I like the Cthulhu a lot.

All your stuff's awesome Isaac. I really want to learn blacksmithing, actually. I intend to take classes as soon as I have time and can find a place. So I'm pretty jealous you managed to learn from a forumite. I'm gonna do some small scale stuff in my jewelry classes but I want to do larger stuff too. I'd like to forge both a ring and a kukri. Because hey, everyone needs a kukri.

At least I do, since I live in the mountains and the paths around my house are overgrown to the point where you need a machete to go hiking ><
Shivahn

Postby felltir » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:49 am UTC

Post for egosearch. Also I did make an awesome cool snare out of willow leaves, could hold 5 pounds on its loop.
I blog about Doctor Who, and other things!
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this
torontoraptor

Postby Kithplana » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:28 am UTC

This.

People do crazy things for love.
Kithplana

Postby Amarantha » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:24 am UTC

electronic mily wrote:...Sierpinski triangles.
I can no longer hear this phrase without my brain going, "HAHA, PENIS!" Damn you, Randall. Awesome scarf though :)
Amarantha

Postby Jacque » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:07 am UTC

Bronze sculpture:

Hearts

Oversized Letterpress Bookends

Self Portrait
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Felipe Budinich » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Nice sculptures, i specially dig the Bookends.
Felipe Budinich

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

I have something quite cool* in the works, though it may well end up being pretty but not functional... and I'm dependent on a vague aquaintance to get me time on a test rig once it's made... More news once I have some veneer!

*well, depending on your view of cool I guess, though it will (hopefully) be true in a literal sense... laminated timber Techincal Ice Tools, People massively underestimate the strength of engineered timber products.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.
TheKrikkitWars

Postby hintss » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:23 am UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:I have something quite cool* in the works, though it may well end up being pretty but not functional... and I'm dependent on a vague aquaintance to get me time on a test rig once it's made... More news once I have some veneer!

*well, depending on your view of cool I guess, though it will (hopefully) be true in a literal sense... laminated timber Techincal Ice Tools, People massively underestimate the strength of engineered timber products.

sounds awesome. and yeah, people underestimate wood.
hintss

Postby Brickmack » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:52 am UTC

Various LEGO creations http://mocpages.com/home.php/53539

Link removed; no links before 5 posts. - Jacque
Brickmack

Postby Shivahn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:55 am UTC

All right! So I made some things and also learned that .JPG and .jpg are different file types according to Imageshack. Which is stupid.

Anyway. First, a chain, and the two rings I made.
Spoiler:

The chain is not as pretty and shiny as it could be because chain stuff is hard and I'm bad at it. I'm getting better though!

As you can see one of the rings is super freaking shiny. I finished one two weeks ago, and the shiny one today. The sad thing is that the shiny one's gonna be the same color as the other one in a few weeks. Or days. But for now it is seriously shiny. You do not understand how shiny. Here, have a picture of it against my very white hand.

Spoiler:

Even that doesn't do it justice. I'm going to look into some ways of making it stay shiny, things like clear nail polish etc. I'm planning on making silver rings later - those should hold up better against our harsh oxygen environment. It's too bad copper oxidizes cuz it really is so pretty when shiny :?
Shivahn

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:03 am UTC

Thanks, Shivahn. Are the rings next to the chain the same as the ones in your first post? They look better; the soldering marks are far less noticable, and the narrow one looks shinier.

I bought a Lego squid this weekend. I rearranged the tentacles and used it to replace the head of a Lego knight to create Lego Cthulhu. The photos from the links probably give you a beter idea of what I made than my actual photos, but my batteries just died and I'm out, so this is it for now.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Cthulhu vs. GrimlockImage
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Isaac Hill

Postby hintss » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 am UTC

I'm working on the paper gyroscope from thingiverse, and erm, thats about it.

but I did find an awesome thing to put on a keychain! its from a toner cartridge.
Attachments
2010-11-09-171046.jpg
2010-11-09-171046.jpg (6.31 KiB) Viewed 35993 times
hintss

Postby Shivahn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:Thanks, Shivahn. Are the rings next to the chain the same as the ones in your first post? They look better; the soldering marks are far less noticable, and the narrow one looks shinier.

Yes! They were both polished. The first post was them immediately after soldering. I polished one one week, the other the week after. The dull one has had a week to oxidize. It's copper, it's humid here - that was more than enough to ruin its color. The other ring looks very similar.

This week I have many creations. The picture isn't good, but I unfortunately have a midterm tomorrow so it was necessarily quick. On the far left is a precursor to a present for someone (You know who you are, don't look if you stumble upon this!)

To the right of that is two hunks of metal which are actually just there to remind me what color white brass and yellow bronze are. Their names are surprisingly unhelpful.

The bottom are two rings, Sterling silver.

And to the top right (next to the American nickel) is the current state of the project that I initially got into jewelry for. It will be fixed up and recast in silver eventually.

You might have to right click -> view image to get the entire thing. Sorry, it's big and I can't reduce its size without cutting out parts.

Spoiler:
Shivahn

Postby hintss » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:06 am UTC

I keep so much stuff on my desk, its like I'm always tempted to build/disassemble/destroy stuff.

random stuff on (and around) my desk:
Spoiler:
*small, unused mp3 player
*my ultra-bright LED desk lamp (great for blorking out backgrounds for webcam photography!)
*tweezers
*hexbug
*2 cheap gauss meters
*2 external hard drives (one USB 3.0!)
*rubiks cube (chinese speed cube)
*rubik's mirror cube (look it up on thinkgeek, I got mine in a toys-R-us in Taiwan)
*metal (aluminum, I think?) ruler
*handle, spring, screws, and wheel things from a toner cartridge
*USB -> PS/2 adapter
*needlenose pliers
*wire cutters
*comination pliers/wire strippers/flush cutters (I think?)
*various pens
*tiny Phillips head screwdriver
*cheap general purpose screwdriver
*rubber band ball
*puzzle globe
*cell phone
*duct tape, scotch tape, masking tape
*lego disassembly tool
*my stainless steel, very sharp ikea scissors
*compass (the circle drawing one)
*parts for paper gyroscope
*rubiks magic
*stacks of blanc CD-Rs and DVD-RWs
*really old, reliable stapler that belonged to my great-grandfather
*more pens
*somewhat disassembled hard drive
*2 USB extension cords, one microUSB(?) cord
*box of toothpicks
*most popular science and Wired magazine issues from the last few years
*4 flash drives (1 GB, 2 x 2 GB, 16 GB)
*microSD -> SD adapter
*1 GB SD card
*flexible keyboard
*computer mouse
*somewhat cheap headphones
*RC helicopter
*half-deflated balloon animal of Tux, the linux penguin (if you like balloon artists, do not get them to hate you by being too creative)
*a few ARRL books and magazines (I have one on antenna design, and its from the 1930s I think
*ESquire E-Ink edition
*my tray of assorted cables
*my drawer of assorted parts
*and right now, $312 cash :D

what do you suggest I do with these?

anyway, I partly took apart a hard drive. I didn't have proper tools, so the needlenose pliers were used a lot. and since it was my first time taking apart a hard drive, i shall get overexcited and post all the photos here :D
hintss

Postby GarryRicketson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 am UTC

Looks like there are some pretty neat things here, the heart made in bronze,
I seen a heart made in stone too, one time...
from Garry
GarryRicketson

Postby GarryRicketson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:28 am UTC

Hello everyone, this is something I made,
FACELAMP5.JPG
It is made with a stone called ONYX
one is with the top off, it is for a lamp, there will be a light bulb inside, it lights up like a pumkin, but I do not have a photo of it lit up. onyx is translucent (light shines thru).
FACELAMP7.JPG

Ok well thats it for now, if you want to see some ather stuff,
feel free to visit
http://www.garryspages.webs.com
From Garry
GarryRicketson

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

I'd posted the key wreath and chimes awhile ago on another xkcd forum thread, and got the idea to make a piano key stick figure. Then I got the idea to make it a marionette. Then I tried and got frustrated and gave up for a while. Eventually, I (sorta) finished:
Spoiler:

The wires aren't quite even, but they're pretty close, and I think I'm more likely to make things worse than better if I screw with it much more. There are 5 wires: the main one for the head and body, 1 per wrist and 1 per knee. The head is made from a D, since the cutouts for the black keys are symettrical. It's slightly bent, towards the camera, but not much.

The cross piece under the main harness works the knees. It's controlled by a wire tied to the key ring that you see resting on a hook. You stick you're finger in the ring and wiggle it back and forth to make the figure walk. The section of piano key used for the crossbar is weighted, so you don't have to push the wire; gravity pulls the right leg down. At some point, I need to make a proper stand for it so I can use that chair again.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Isaac Hill

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Well i've not been able to get my tools laminated, but... I have managed to whip up a fiber pile suit. For those who've never experienced the awesomeness of pile fabric it's like a much warmer, lighter (fluffier) fleece, making the suit not unlike a wearable hug. It also drys wth great speed, and stays warm when wet; It went out of fashion because it needs a windproof layer to go with it, but it seems to be making a comeback.

Photo: (I hope you'll forgive the fact that I'm seemingly unable to have a flash photograph taken and keep my eyes open.)
Spoiler:

Next is a windsuit me thinks. (I've become a fan of all in one "technical" garments recently)
TheKrikkitWars

Postby WaterToFire » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Ah, showing off artwork, my one weakness. I hope 2D art is welcome in this thread. I do have a bit of Origami though, so hopefully that will appease y'all.

It turns out I couldn't get nested spoiler blocks to work. Sorry about that.

Spoiler:
This one is my favorite drawing. It's done in those old fashioned pens you dip in ink, and it was joyous-fun to draw over the course of a many hours.

Spoiler:
My self portrait. True to life, I have no eyes.

Spoiler:
Spaceships! Woo.

Spoiler:
Now some origami. This one is an orchid blossom.

Spoiler:
Here we have a turtle, a Hercules beetle, and a scarab beetle.

Spoiler:
Lastly, a blue shark. See? It's ironic because I folded it out of orange paper.
WaterToFire

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

WaterToFire wrote:
Spoiler:

This one is my favorite drawing. It's done in those old fashioned pens you dip in ink, and it was joyous-fun to draw over the course of a many hours.

That is one seriously cool drawing!
Quack!
EvilDuckie

Postby WaterToFire » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Thanks!
WaterToFire

Postby sarahthegeek » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

Well, everyone has such awesome stuff they've made, and I just have these derpy sketches I discovered buried within my picture folder.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
sarahthegeek

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

More stuff I made:

Spoiler:

The photo's aren't the best, but the boat is too big to easily photograph in the room it's in, and it was dark outside when I finally finished.

Edit: as those photo's don't make it massively clear that it's a canoe here's a photo of a past incarnation of it in use:
Spoiler:
TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

Further things I've made, this one was an aweful lot of effort, even though it was technically just (extensively) altering a commercially available product.
TheKrikkitWars

Postby canoemoose » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

Cool canoe, Krikkit!
Here's mine, made (mostly) in the summer after my GCSEs:
Spoiler:

I'm not as crazy as you and therefore stay away from the white water :p
22/Male/Female/Single/Yep
(Age/Gender/Interested in/Status/Don't you hate people who just jump on the bandwagon)

Windows 7, Server 2008R2, Ubuntu, Android, iOS user
canoemoose

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

I finally got around to making more piano key art: a horse and a dragonfly. I've now got 3 white keys and 5 black keys left. I might make two of the black keys into pegasus wings for the horse, maybe make earrings out of a pair. Other than that, I think I'm just about done until I find another trashed piano by the side of the road.
Spoiler:
key_horse.JPG
Horse made of piano keys
key_dragonfly.JPG
Dragonfly made of piano keys
key_dragonfly.JPG (15.38 KiB) Viewed 33413 times

I've also got a better picture of the marrionette, since I finally got around to hanging it properly. I had planned on making a rack out of the wooden bits I'd sawed off the face and chime keys, but it didn't look like it would be sturdy. I ended up taking spare wood and stain from another project, making a couple small beams, and using a CD rack to hold them down.
Spoiler:
key_man2.JPG
Piano key marionette: full frontal
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Isaac Hill

Postby ConMan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 am UTC

Time to necro this thread, because I have made something! Specifically, after having made a crochet Totoro from a pattern the year before last (which I stuffed up a little from not properly understanding some stuff about crochet), I borrowed from its pattern to make a penguin for my girlfriend for Christmas:
Spoiler:
gyu.jpg

He's based on the Mawaru Penguindrum penguins, although he's lacking a topknot, tail and cleaver/can of flyspray to really make him identifiable as I ran out of time. Still, I'm pretty happy with how he turned out and have learned a surprising amount from it.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 am UTC

dawwww...
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby skiingbandit » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

I build clipper ships! Takes about a year to do one. will post pics when i can. need to upload them on a site so i can post them here.
skiingbandit

Postby dii » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 am UTC

I'm not totally sure if this counts as "a thing", but I designed a tattoo for my gf. Here's a crappy photo of it:
Spoiler:
kist1.jpg

(the curvature of the body distorts it a bit. It's in the neck if anyone wonders.)

Compare with my original artwork:
Spoiler:
kis_s.png
dii

Postby Fire Brns » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

I made shoes!

Off my feet:
Spoiler:
On my feet:
Spoiler:

Took me a month but I finally got them exactly how I want them.

skiingbandit wrote:I build clipper ships! Takes about a year to do one. will post pics when i can. need to upload them on a site so i can post them here.
That is awesome. I was actually planning on building a 20ft sailboat I got the basic design down but maybe I could ask you for some advice on construction techniques?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.
Fire Brns

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

skiingbandit wrote:I build clipper ships! Takes about a year to do one. will post pics when i can. need to upload them on a site so i can post them here.
That's awesome, boatbuilding is a bit of black art... I guess I have the woodworking skills to build a boat, but I have not the first clue where I'd start designing a substantive boat; (or a canoe that wasn't used on whitewater for that matter).

This may be of interest to Yourself and Fire Brns, I thought it was really cool when i first saw it.

I made me a lamp table, or rather I nearly did, but my saw caught in the cut and splintered one of the blanks for the legs too badly to save, so I now have an incomplete table waiting for me to source another decent sized piece of purpleheart that matches the colour of the rest of the piece.

Spoiler:
Taking a break part way through cutting the top to thickness, that was hard work, but there's no mechanical way to do that, and certainly not on my budget:

Putting the sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus, actually a kind of european maple genetically speaking) inlay into the top...

One of the legs planed to taper, and filled with fine chalk ready for polishing:

I handed over my first Invoice for a commission the other day, It felt really good... it's one of these:
Spoiler:

All built from local douglas fir, with a local slate insert; and varnished with traditional linseed and rosin varnish... I don't have finished pictures, yet but a few of work in progress

Spoiler:
How it starts life:

The legs cut, and mortised:

And the trick to doing them easily:

Dovetails for the drawers:

The trick is to mill all the timber, cut all the joints, and fit all the joints, before taking the smoothing plane over it for the last time before gluing up... that way you don't have to mind the surface of the timber so much whilst your working.
TheKrikkitWars

Return to Your art and links