0846: "Dental Nerve"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

twilliams1755

0846: "Dental Nerve"

Postby twilliams1755 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:03 am UTC

"WAKE up in the MORning and my BREATH ain't PREtty / and noBODY'S gonna KISS me if my MOUTH smells SHItty / so I ALways brush my TEETH before I START on the JACK / sure, my DRINKing's out of HAND, but I'm conTROLLing my PLAQUE."

All of a sudden I not only cringe at the feeling of toothache, but I also realize I haven't brushed my teeth in a few days. Nothing's right with all this snow in Atlanta. My daily routine, which consists partly of brushing my teeth, is ruined.

Oh, and I really hope to see a parody video including the title-text as part of the lyrics within the week. Especially from all you folk sitting at home in Georgia with nothing to do. And can sing. Which therefore excludes me.
Last edited by twilliams1755 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:12 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

ARandomDude

Re: 0846: "Dental Nerve"

Postby ARandomDude » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:04 am UTC

Bad format.

Also lol this song is annoying. I like Randall's version better.

rho421

Postby rho421 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:05 am UTC

For the longest time I thought that the title text was trying to have a hidden message included in the CAPITAL words, but then I realized it was just delineating the accents...

twilliams1755

Postby twilliams1755 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:06 am UTC

Sorry about that. Completely neglected the formatting in my sleep deprived state and inexperience. Mostly the latter. I shall fix immediately.

rwald

Postby rwald » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:06 am UTC

C'mon, it's a great song! At least, when you watch it with this Doctor Who music video.

lingomaniac88

Postby lingomaniac88 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:23 am UTC

ARandomDude wrote:I like Randall's version better.

Yes, Randall's version is better than the original, but that's not really saying much.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 am UTC

This comic is a little late, since I stopped hearing about that song a long time ago. Which reminds me... that one about the cryptography conference? How long after the Missy Elliot song came out did he post the comic?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:33 am UTC

Indeed bad format, OP.

I thoroughly enjoyed this comic. Although, I think it's partially because it reminded me of certain people I know.

So... I've started coming to the fora sometimes, just to read what SirMustapha has found to complain about. At first, I fount him annoying. But, slowly, when I'd think about coming to the fora after reading a comic, I'd begin to think ``I wonder what SirMustapha will say.'' Sometimes I'd think ``This comic wasn't particularly good, but there wasn't anything that I thought was particularly bad, I wonder what he'll pick on''. Or ``There's no way he'll find something to complain about. It's like the old ones, that he liked*'' (of course, he complained that it was just a redo of a prior comic). Sometimes, I'll come here, read his comment, and think to myself ``Oh, he picked the obvious criticism :(''. (relatedly, I miss sje46's rants). Sometimes, (rarely) I enjoy SirMustapha's posts just as entertaining as the comic itself. I imagine some people have a similar reaction to xkcd sucks, but to me it just sounds whiny, while he makes up absurd accusations that Randall stalks Megan to this day, and posts personal insults to Randall.

I can't think right now whether this came from SirMustapha or xkcd sucks, but I actually like the pictoblog idea. I mean, I don't want him to stop doing xkcd, and I don't think doing them at the same time would work out. But if that blog existed, I would read it.

* Most detractors of xkcd say that it didn't use to be bad, but that it's gone downhill, and they used to enjoy it. I feel like there's a lot of ``the good old days'' syndrome going on here. So, I'm curious, exactly what xkcd comics do SirMustapha and xkcd sucks like?
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 am UTC

10nitro wrote:I've started coming to the fora sometimes, just to read what SirMustapha has found to complain about.

This is sad. What I mean is that I'm saddened after I read it. Although I have nothing else to do right now.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

andyeins

Postby andyeins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:57 am UTC

please be meaner to kesha. she is horrible on so many levels.

pigslookfunny

Postby pigslookfunny » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 am UTC

Randall's version reminds me of those songs from children's TV shows telling kids to brush their teeth.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 am UTC

It's days like this that I wish Weird Al had a female counterpart. I'd love a full-length parody of that song. I know there are ones on YouTube, but they're probably all the usual junk that Internet kids with cheap microphones, pirated karaoke albums, and no real talent think are hilarious.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 am UTC

Ha ha. Not funny.

Alt text's kind of amusing, though.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:19 am UTC

What, are the caps like the textual equivalent of Autotune?

L33tsaber

Postby L33tsaber » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 am UTC

I chortled. And then I remembered that I have to go to the dentist approximately eight hours from now in order to get my first-ever cavity filled. I think I'll cower under the bed now.

DancingMan

Postby DancingMan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:31 am UTC

rho421 wrote:For the longest time I thought that the title text was trying to have a hidden message included in the CAPITAL words, but then I realized it was just delineating the accents...

Oh, but there IS. Did you notice that "TROLL" is capitalised?

augurey

Postby augurey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:35 am UTC

I've always considered the presence of nerves in teeth to be strong evidence against intelligent design.

Lazy Tommy

Postby Lazy Tommy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 am UTC

augurey wrote:I've always considered the presence of nerves in teeth to be strong evidence against intelligent design.

Oh man you're so right.

whreeeeeeeeeee "Is it safe?"

Alienjoey

Postby Alienjoey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:53 am UTC

After reading the alt text, I had some creative inspiration, and I just had to make an account to post it up. It's not complete yet, but it's as far as I'm gonna get tonight:

WAKE up in the MORning and my BREATH ain't PREtty
and noBODY'S gonna KISS me if my MOUTH smells SHItty
so I ALways brush my TEETH before I START on the JACK
sure, my DRINKing's out of HAND, but I'm conTROLLing my PLAQUE

I'm talkin' teeth gonna look like snow, snow
Brushin' em best I know, know
Dent's blowin' up my phone, phone

Mouthwash and countin' on up to thirty
Throwin' a dental party
Tryna get a little bit healthy

Don't stop, make it pop
Dentist, blow my gums right up
Tonight, Im'ma fight
Till we see the pearly whites
Tooth talk, like the chalk
But the party don't stop no
Woah-oh oh oh
Woah-oh oh oh

mjc0961

Postby mjc0961 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:This comic is a little late, since I stopped hearing about that song a long time ago. Which reminds me... that one about the cryptography conference? How long after the Missy Elliot song came out did he post the comic?

Be nice, it's not Randall's fault that it takes the Guitar Hero devs so long to get these songs in their games.

Anyway, the comic made me smile, but I had good laugh at the end of the alt text song lyrics. :mrgreen:

(Note: I don't know or care if Miss Elliot or Kesha are in the game or not, I was just going for the joke. Okay? Good.)

Lasher

Postby Lasher » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 am UTC

I don't get it. Who is Ke$ha and what's the song you are talking about?

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:26 am UTC

I thoroughly approve of this one. Tiktok needs to die in a fire. I cannot even begin to express how much I loathe that song.

And now it will be stuck in my head for the rest of the night. :roll:

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:43 am UTC

existentialpanda wrote:I thoroughly approve of this one. Tiktok needs to die in a fire.

But... How is Dorothy supposed to rescue her friends from the Nome King without his help?
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

Mekmek

Postby Mekmek » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 am UTC

Lasher wrote:I don't get it. Who is Ke$ha and what's the song you are talking about?

existentialpanda wrote:I cannot even begin to express how much I loathe that song.

You need to watch more Simpsons or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BmgktqBNU4
Because this version is actually bearable.

honnza

Postby honnza » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:53 am UTC

augurey wrote:I've always considered the presence of nerves in teeth to be strong evidence against intelligent design.

I disagree. It's always favorable to have a fault-detection for every system that could damage, to prevent further damage and decline in usability. A decline in usability is always a bad thing when you strive for perfection :wink: .

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 am UTC

rwald wrote:C'mon, it's a great song! At least, when you watch it with this Doctor Who music video.

This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds

boo.

Tell that to the White Gold welder. (sic)
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 am UTC

It goes without saying that the Star Trek video is the best Tik Tok video.

KyrieEleison

Postby KyrieEleison » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 am UTC

It's pretty funny that Kesha (I refuse to put a dollar sign in her name) was the topic of today's strip, because I had just watched this MST3K video. The alt-text is great.

rwald wrote:C'mon, it's a great song! At least, when you watch it with this Doctor Who music video.

Looks like she's getting around the fanvid circuit...

Makri

Postby Makri » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 am UTC

honnza wrote:I disagree. It's always favorable to have a fault-detection for every system that could damage, to prevent further damage and decline in usability. A decline in usability is always a bad thing when you strive for perfection

There's something wrong with a fault-detection system that itself significantly furthers a decline in usability...
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Doctor Kumquat

Postby Doctor Kumquat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:02 am UTC

TiK ToK (the crappy parodied song in the comic) is not in a new edition of Guitar Hero (to my knowledge), but it IS in one of the new dance games... I think it's Just Dance 2 for the Wii. In related news, watching 6 year old girls dancing along to it and Benny Benassi in tech stores is rather profoundly creepy.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:03 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:This comic is a little late, since I stopped hearing about that song a long time ago.

I feel the same. At first I was all like "that song is so mid-2010" and then I realised that a.) it was released in Summer 2009, but I didn't hear it until Summer 2010, and b.) perhaps they've released Guitar Hero: Pop Tat?

I haven't heard any other Ke₤ha songs. If they're as buoyant as Tik [sic] Tok [sic], I'd rather prefer not to.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:03 am UTC

twilliams1755 wrote: Nothing's right with all this snow in Atlanta. My daily routine, which consists partly of brushing my teeth, is ruined.

Oh, and I really hope to see a parody video including the title-text as part of the lyrics within the week. Especially from all you folk sitting at home in Georgia with nothing to do. And can sing. Which therefore excludes me.

You've gotta be kidding me. I thought I'd escape most of the snow "chaos" flying to Nashville (via Atlanta...) next week - at least you guys keep your airports running, right?

Oh and, I'm still convinced those capitals will spell some sort of secret message and noone will convince me otherwise.

prismatist

Postby prismatist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 am UTC

I think it's pretty easy to describe the pain of an infected dental nerve. Just listen to Tiktok by Ke$ha. In fact, real dental nerve pain could serve as a happy place to go to while you wait for the song to end.

The first time I heard that song, I was downright scared. Still am. Her accent and the way she forms her words is almost exactly identical to the 'future' accent portrayed in Idiocracy. They describe it as 'a hybrid of hillbilly, valley girl, inner city slang and various drugs.' Perfect fit with Ke$ha. Unfortunately the level of stupidity exhibited is 496 years ahead of schedule.

Cutiepie

Postby Cutiepie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 am UTC

Alienjoey wrote:After reading the alt text, I had some creative inspiration, and I just had to make an account to post it up. It's not complete yet, but it's as far as I'm gonna get tonight:

WAKE up in the MORning and my BREATH ain't PREtty
and noBODY'S gonna KISS me if my MOUTH smells SHItty
so I ALways brush my TEETH before I START on the JACK
sure, my DRINKing's out of HAND, but I'm conTROLLing my PLAQUE

I'm talkin' teeth gonna look like snow, snow
Brushin' em best I know, know
Dent's blowin' up my phone, phone

Mouthwash and countin' on up to thirty
Throwin' a dental party
Tryna get a little bit healthy

Don't stop, make it pop
Dentist, blow my gums right up
Tonight, Im'ma fight
Till we see the pearly whites
Tooth talk, like the chalk
But the party don't stop no
Woah-oh oh oh
Woah-oh oh oh

I lol'd at this comic... I lol'd harded at your lyrics! Great work! :P

dtech

Postby dtech » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 am UTC

I lol'led at this comic.

To be fair, wouldn't the 40% of jack at least prevent an infection?... (mouthwash has alcohol as a main ingrediënt. Of course, there isn't any sugar in mouthwash)

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 am UTC

Don't stop, make the song, you just cannot go wrong,
It's hard, for Ke$ha, to beat Randall (really hard).
Tick tock, on a rock [and roll], and the lyrics don't stop, no
Oh-woah-woah-oh. Oh-woah-woah-oh.
:shock:

junes

Postby junes » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 am UTC

I know you guys are bashing this comic for being to late seeing as how that song isn't charting anymore and all, but to hear that song and think about dental hygiene is more original than you'll ever be. Also I love how you actually have to read the comic to the end to figure out why this is about Ke$ha, that moment when I went from being confused to understanding the joke made my laughter ever much more intense!

rabe

Postby rabe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 am UTC

ARandomDude wrote:Also lol this song is annoying. I like Randall's version better.

Guns 'n' Roses is awesome. :twisted:

kbinferno

Postby kbinferno » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 am UTC

There are quite a few songs based on dental hygiene. Like this one.
Last edited by kbinferno on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rabe

Postby rabe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 am UTC

Guns N Roses - Paradise City. the lyrics match perfect ;)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”