What is the "hi joee" meme from?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

YTPrenewed

What is the "hi joee" meme from?

Postby YTPrenewed » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

For one thing, it's a phrase I see every now and then on these forums. What is it a reference to?

Zarq

Re: What is the "hi joee" meme from?

Postby Zarq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:56 pm UTC

I think these search results sum it up:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=hi+joee&start=200

Basically, two users, joee and glanst (or something) started saying 'hi' to each other every time they saw a post of the other (I'm guessing they know each other irl) and it got meme-ified.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

If it's said with a forceful Mexican accent, it can also be the sound one makes when one vomits.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

darknut

Postby darknut » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:it can also be the sound one makes when one vomits.

i cant imagine what that would sound like
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

SomeFloridaKid

Postby SomeFloridaKid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:11 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:If it's said with a forceful Mexican accent, it can also be the sound one makes when one vomits.

If this was facebook, I'd like this post.
EXPAND: (a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n

GENERATION 191,184,382 : The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:21 am UTC

I ain't never heard of this so-called meme.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:26 am UTC

I think it's contained within the Comics Forum for now.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:45 am UTC

As Zarq indicated, it's just two users in the ICT forum who say hi to each other all the time.
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:11 am UTC

I'm always very confused when people refer to that forum as the ICT forum, ICT meaning Information and Communication Techniques.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

I would have guessed that it was derived from Wiseau's "The Room". Perhaps it was, initially?

P.S. Please don't ever watch "The Room"; that is really a terrible, terrible idea.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:P.S. Please definitely watch "The Room"; that is really an awesome, awesome idea.

FTFY
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

The hi Joee thing goes way back. Back in the days of the Cold War, American secret service personnel has to be very careful about how they approached and contacted one another in public, the codename normally chosen was "Joe" being a very All-American name by which one could identify with any covert agent by saying "Hi Joe". Obviously this alone isn't enough to ensure the other person isn't just called Joe so the typical response would be "Hi Glasnt". The origin of glasnt has been broadly discussed, some people think it's short hand for "glad the country hasn't been attacked" or derived from the acronym "Generally low activity seriousness, no threats". At any rate, the phrase became something of a meme amongst former secret service/intelligence members as the codeword fell out of use but was held onto for nostalgia's sake. As for Joee and Glasnt on the forums, if you think they're just some kids trawling around on here reading comics, it's time to wake up and see how far down the rabbit hole goes...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:The hi Joee thing goes way back. Back in the days of the Cold War, American secret service personnel has to be very careful about how they approached and contacted one another in public, the codename normally chosen was "Joe" being a very All-American name by which one could identify with any covert agent by saying "Hi Joe". Obviously this alone isn't enough to ensure the other person isn't just called Joe so the typical response would be "Hi Glasnt". The origin of glasnt has been broadly discussed, some people think it's short hand for "glad the country hasn't been attacked" or derived from the acronym "Generally low activity seriousness, no threats". At any rate, the phrase became something of a meme amongst former secret service/intelligence members as the codeword fell out of use but was held onto for nostalgia's sake. As for Joee and Glasnt on the forums, if you think they're just some kids trawling around on here reading comics, it's time to wake up and see how far down the rabbit hole goes...

Here. Have an Internet.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Return to “General”