Florida people

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Florida people

Postby Okapi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

There are xkcders everywhere. Granted, considerably more here in Talla-halfass-ee than in other parts of Florida, but EVERYWHERE.

Needless to say, I live in Florida, but despise Floridians. It is my understanding that those not from Tally are even worse. So I'll pass on this.
Okapi

Postby Zer088 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:13 am UTC

Okapi wrote:There are xkcders everywhere. Granted, considerably more here in Talla-halfass-ee than in other parts of Florida, but EVERYWHERE.

Needless to say, I live in Florida, but despise Floridians. It is my understanding that those not from Tally are even worse. So I'll pass on this.

:/
YaKKa Foob MoG. GRuG PubbaWuP ZiNK wattooM GaZoRK. CHuMBLE spuzz.
John Kaim: Love is the most powerful catalyst in existence.
Zer088

Postby Walter.Horvath » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:25 am UTC

Hi FL peoples!

High-Speed rail is coming to central Florida! The first line is going to connect OIA (MCO) to Disney (By 2012, iirc), then to Tampa by 2015. High speed rail was also proposed from Orlando to Miami, but a lack of funding has delayed that project until the '20s, at least (Whoa, I just used '20s like that in a legitimate way!) After that, lines could extend to the pan-handle, Jacksonville, and beyond!

Anyway, thought that this was relevant, as it will make commuting (especially to Orlando from Tampa) much faster (~40 min trip), easier (arrive at the station 10 mins before your train is scheduled to leave and you'll make it), and cheaper (tickets around $30); thus facilitating easier trips for broke pre/post/current college students!

I am quoting all of this off the top of my head and without citation, but the local ABC station ran a great program on how similar types of trains already run in Spain with great success (Something I've seen myself).

Sorry if this post comes off spam-ish, but it's amazingly late and I'm amazingly excited.
Walter.Horvath

Postby Josephine » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

Yep, those are cool. maybe we'll see a nationwide system better than Amtrak eventually.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.
Josephine

Postby joeleitz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

You sure have a hectic lifestyle -makes me tired just to read your post! At least it sounds like your your income keeps going up and that's something.It must be hard to find time to spend with your kid with all those double commitments. I hope you get it to work out for you though. I need a second job too but it's been difficult to find one in destin fl at the moment. I do hotel work but I need to find a second part time job just to make ends meet.

punkymonkey wrote:I'm out for any potential rendezvous. Been working two jobs since November (started one in september, picked up my second in October, got a job offer for more money at the end of November, left the first second job to accept the more money job as my second job - worked part time there until getting screwed over at my first job, then became full time at more money job, and went to part time at the first job - make babies?) ... so yeah, I work too much for a rendezvous. :/ And when I do have time off, it's spent with my kid.... not other people's kids. :p

Removed link. Please no links before 5 posts. -L
joeleitz

Postby LaurenJadeTaylor » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

sorry i am in Thomasville
LaurenJadeTaylor

Postby Sammich117 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Heya,

I'm a new transplant to Tallahassee. I wouldn't mind doing a meet-up at some point.
Sammich117

Postby Homicide » Sat May 22, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

The only way I'd be able to pull this off is if I got a scooter or something (lol, insurance).

I'm too broke working at an Orlando Wal-mart for this to be even slightly feasible.
Homicide

Postby The Cat » Sun May 23, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

Hi Florida! Sorry to interrupt, I just thought meeting up with someone named homicide from the internet struck me funny.
The Cat

Postby punkymonkey » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

The Cat wrote:Hi Florida! Sorry to interrupt, I just thought meeting up with someone named homicide from the internet struck me funny.
Agreed.
<wst> punkymonkey is actually punky. phew
punkymonkey

Postby v1nsai » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 am UTC

Tallahassee is a place I avoid. Any town that gives birth to "musicians" like creed is bad news bears in my book.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run
v1nsai

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:08 am UTC

I should post in this thread. It's only been, what, 2 years? >_>

Born in Panama City, raised in Tallahassee, live in Havana (~half an hour out from Tally), attend FSU. May be looking forward to getting the heck out of this state but I'm stuck here for a while yet. ;D

I would try to come to any meetup, though I probably can't really travel very far. >_>

(anyway, creed is a silly reason to hate tallahassee. you should hate it for the politicians and the football and the insane summer humidity/heat! ;D)
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby punkymonkey » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

I could do a meetup so long as it was on a Tuesday.. and during the day. I have a year pass to Dinosaur World in plant city! Granted.. not much is there.. but .. there are fake dinosaurs. And a playground which looks as though it would fall apart at any moment!
punkymonkey

Postby Aelfyre » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm UTC

punkymonkey wrote:
The Cat wrote:Hi Florida! Sorry to interrupt, I just thought meeting up with someone named homicide from the internet struck me funny.
Agreed.

That is definitely some news of the weird waiting to happen.. LOL
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.
Aelfyre

Postby traveltheory » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:11 am UTC

I live in the tampa bay area.
traveltheory

Postby MotorToad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

I know there are a couple or few forumites in the panhandle area, if you like beer and exercise I have a new hobby you might be interested in using as a method for meeting people, Hashing. Basically, it's drinking with a sprinkling of running and/or walking.

Half-minds map o' Florida and I just found an almost thread on these fora viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21893&p=2392210#p2392210
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)
MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby DatDarnDude » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:58 am UTC

Im in Miami Florida if anyone wants to meet up.
DatDarnDude

Postby punkymonkey » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

traveltheory wrote:I live in the tampa bay area.
Me too!
punkymonkey

Postby Undead_Graduate » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:25 am UTC

I live in in north-west polk county, Lakeland.
Undead_Graduate

Postby punkymonkey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

Undead_Graduate wrote:I live in in north-west polk county, Lakeland.
Hmmm... me too. :shock:
punkymonkey

Postby JoeZ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 am UTC

Another Florida XKCD fan signing in; I live in Volusia County. Checked out geohash opportunities for a while but they've always ended up on the exact spot to maximize the distance both in my graticule and the neighboring ones, and three-hour drives do not fit into my schedule...

Oh, and if you're looking for more of us, just go to a nearby college and lurk the physics department. It's like an infinite wellspring of XKCD fans :mrgreen:
JoeZ

Postby Ikks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 am UTC

Miami, Florida fan over here. No one I have ever met down here has heard of XKCD, but then again, I was probably looking in all the wrong places.
Ikks

Postby Little Richie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

I'm in Palm Bay/Melbourne area for now, this will all change in a few months pending college. Anyone else stuck in the Palm Bay area?
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.
Little Richie

Postby TheSwampDweller » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

I'm in the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area of Southwest Fl. Anyone else live around here?
TheSwampDweller

Postby Kurushimi » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:01 am UTC

Yeah, I live in Lehigh which is really close to Fort Myers.
Kurushimi

Postby gavin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:I should post in this thread. It's only been, what, 2 years? >_>

Born in Panama City, raised in Tallahassee, live in Havana (~half an hour out from Tally), attend FSU. May be looking forward to getting the heck out of this state but I'm stuck here for a while yet. ;D

I would try to come to any meetup, though I probably can't really travel very far. >_>

(anyway, creed is a silly reason to hate tallahassee. you should hate it for the politicians and the football and the insane summer humidity/heat! ;D)
Haha, the problem is that you live in Havana. I mean, there's a lot of nice antique shops there but to live in a tourist old-timey town must be murder.

I also went to FSU, graduated two years ago with a BS and a BA. It's been awhile since you posted so maybe you got out.

As for Creed, don't blame the city. My neighbors called the cops on them all the time when they played too late into the night when they lived behind us. So it's not like we like them, they just became famous when Tally kicked them out.
gavin

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:59 am UTC

Worse, I don't even live *in* the town, more like 5-10 minutes out from the town, about thirty seconds from Georgia. I hope to leave whenever I find a job. Unfortunately I got a Library degree and the job market is, even worse than all the other job markets right now. XD

I'm gonna find some way to escape, though. Somehow. Someday. Soon. >_<

(at least i have my driver's license now)

(now if only i had access to a car >_<)
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby gavin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:Worse, I don't even live *in* the town, more like 5-10 minutes out from the town, about thirty seconds from Georgia. I hope to leave whenever I find a job. Unfortunately I got a Library degree and the job market is, even worse than all the other job markets right now. XD

Damn, good luck to you. I mean, Tally isn't huge but at least there's some stuff here. I don't recall even seeing a movie theater there. A library degree at least puts you ahead of everyone without a 4-year degree so it isn't all bad but libraries and book stores seem to be getting hit pretty hard. I wanted a degree in Religion but my dad pressed me to get one in a field that gets jobs. So I got a BA in Religion and a BS in Business (which I like to call my money making degree). I've gotta say that I appreciate my dad for it.

I like your general store though. It looks all old-timey and they usually have glass bottles of cheerwine and some gingerale I like.
gavin

Postby Little Richie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:Worse, I don't even live *in* the town, more like 5-10 minutes out from the town, about thirty seconds from Georgia. I hope to leave whenever I find a job. Unfortunately I got a Library degree and the job market is, even worse than all the other job markets right now. XD

Take a day or two trip up to Bainbridge Georgia, it's not too far. It's a nice mid-sized town that has a real air of Southern hospitality about it.

I recently escaped my own home town and moved out on my own in Orlando. The change is great, being able to make a new life for yourself is worth everything. Some people are content living their whole lives in the same town they were born in, people like you and I need to make a place for ourselves in the world. Escape. Run.
Little Richie

Postby gavin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Little Richie wrote:Take a day or two trip up to Bainbridge Georgia, it's not too far. It's a nice mid-sized town that has a real air of Southern hospitality about it.

I recently escaped my own home town and moved out on my own in Orlando. The change is great, being able to make a new life for yourself is worth everything. Some people are content living their whole lives in the same town they were born in, people like you and I need to make a place for ourselves in the world. Escape. Run.
I generally percieve being born into a small town to be God's gift of a challenge to get out of it. Patton Oswalt has something to say on that matter.
gavin

Postby Little Richie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:42 am UTC

gavin wrote:
Little Richie wrote:Take a day or two trip up to Bainbridge Georgia, it's not too far. It's a nice mid-sized town that has a real air of Southern hospitality about it.

I generally percieve being born into a small town to be God's gift of a challenge to get out of it. Patton Oswalt has something to say on that matter.

Aww, Spence =D he's totally accurate.

It really has given me an appreciation for a real city.
Tonight, I ordered a sandwich online, and it was at my apartment in 5 minutes.
This might not be a really cool thing for anyone, and normally it wouldn't have been to me, but it just got me thinking about the structure of life.
It's really something to get into on another part of the forum...
Little Richie

Postby Mensa180 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

Sarasota, FL here. Originally from Nashville, TN, but am here for college!
Mensa180

Previous

Return to XKCD Meetups