I may have just screwed over my future.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

I may have just screwed over my future.

Postby Lime » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

Math has never been my best subject. I typically average less than 85, but more than 80, with my average of all classes sitting at about 90. However, just now, I took my diploma exam. For those who don't know, in Alberta, grade 12 students have half of their marks based on a single test at the end of the year. I went in with an 82, but I think that I may have gotten around 75, optimistically on my exam. Would I still be accepted into university for general sciences with a mark of 75ish in Math 30 Pure?
Lime

Re: I may have just screwed over my future.

Postby _Axle_ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

I won't pretend that I know how the schooling and University requirements are in Canada, though I can't see you not getting in one.

What math subject was it on, Trig? Calc? Pre-Calc/late Algebra?

Worst case, you go to a local/community college, raise your math and reapply next year, which would put you maybe 1 year behind at most. I think the whole "I must go to college/Uni right away or I am a failure" feeling that seems to run around high school students and isn't true.
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.
_Axle_

Postby Lime » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

In Alberta, grade 12 math is split into Math 30 and Math 31. Math 30 includes statistics, trig, conics, logs, and perms and combs. 31 is Calculus.
Lime

Postby Dopefish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

It'll depend on the university of course, but I wouldn't worry to much as long as your overall grades are acceptable (and from the sounds of things, they're acceptable enough. Not super amazing, but as long as you're not hunting for one of the top end high competition schools, I wouldn't be too concerned).

First year math in my experiances dosen't presume you know much of anything going in due to the variety of different high school math curriculums, and so they end up teaching you most of the math you'd need from scratch anyway. As such I would imagine most universitys don't look at your math mark and go 'Hum, they're not good enough at math. Denied.', but rather 'Looks like they've got decentish marks so they must be a hard worker, and they did take math. Accepted.'. Specific programs, particularly in the more prestigeous universities may look closer and only accept a minimum mark in math, but I would imagine you could find out by contacting the appropriate school/browsing their site.
Dopefish

Postby _Axle_ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

What Dopefish said, unless you are going for the 'MIT' of Canada, there shouldn't be much to worry about. Also, worst case is that you spend 1 year improving your grades at a local college and transfer to a bigger one, your future isn't screwed. I have a bunch of friends who have started or came back to College at age 25-26.

tl;dr . . . don't worry :)
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.
_Axle_

Postby Lime » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

Just the University of Alberta. Nothing amazing, but a respectable school
Lime

Postby masher » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:38 am UTC

_Axle_ wrote:I think the whole "I must go to college/Uni right away or I am a failure" feeling that seems to run around high school students and isn't true.

QFT

My sister didn't do that well in her final year. She took her time getting into uni, and now she's finishing up her MSc!
masher

Postby _Axle_ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:33 am UTC

Lime wrote:Just the University of Alberta. Nothing amazing, but a respectable school

I did a quick check ( if you didn't ), and it looked like the min grade for the Sciences is a 70% in Math 30. So, if you are above that, you still have a chance.

So, good luck with it :)
_Axle_

Postby sikyon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

I don't know what the admission rate is like for Alberta or for science, but at waterloo (real) admission requirements for engineering are around 80-85 and science is lower, in the 75-80 region.

I think you'll be OK with a 75. However, if you are going into science high school math is really important.
sikyon

Postby Chen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

sikyon wrote:I don't know what the admission rate is like for Alberta or for science, but at waterloo (real) admission requirements for engineering are around 80-85 and science is lower, in the 75-80 region.

Yeah it depends on how swamped the program gets with applicants. Engineering when I went to McGill said the minimum was 80% or something. But in actuality to get into Computer or Electrical engineering it was more like 90% or higher. But to get into something like Mining and Metallurgical engineering it was pretty much 75% (plus you'd get a huge scholarship since the graduating classes in M&M were something like 6 people on average). General sciences will probably stick to their minimum values posted since its generally a large faculty and rarely, from what I've seen, gets "full".
Chen

Return to School