Assassin's Creed 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Assassin's Creed 2

Postby Zarq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Also, calling in your recruits to kill guards for you is ADDICTIVE AS ALL HELL

So true. I once spent about 2 hours doing only that (while waiting for my recruits to come back from missions).

I still need to complete the main mission though -_- Stupid exams.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby balderduck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

I'm playing AC 2: B right now, and although the story is pretty ridiculous (See Machhiaveli working with DaVinci comment above) I must give some props to these guys.

For one, Having been to Florence and Rome, their virtual rennaisance counterparts are absolutley amazing. One of my best gaming moments has been to climb the Florence Duomo after I've visited it a couple of months before the game

Another thing I'll give points to, is the fantastic battle animations...Now since I mostly play RPGs where the battle animations are some guy in full body armor with a sword twice the size of him performing triple summersaults before attacking, this fantastic realistic choreographed combat makes me wish there were more games like this

And of course the ability to scale and climb everything so naturally is what really makes this game for me...
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck
balderduck

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

That is very true, it is a very beautiful game. I'm jealous you got to see some of the area in person and then play the game.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:Now since I mostly play RPGs where the battle animations are some guy in full body armor with a sword twice the size of him performing triple summersaults before attacking, this fantastic realistic choreographed combat makes me wish there were more games like this

That's not an RPG thing. That's a Japanese thing. I sure haven't seen any of those in The Elder Scrolls, Divinity, Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex, Fallout, Neverwinter Nights or any other RPG I've played in recent memory.
Amnesiasoft

Postby balderduck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

You didn't see that on divinity?
really? that's exactly the game I had in mind! DIvinity 2! And of course JRPGs!

Ok they don't do triple summersaults and super exaggerated stuff like on JRPGs (I was being over the top) but still on Divinity and Neverwinter Nights the fighting uses highly unrealistic movement and on oblivion it doesn't really look much like fighting. I mean, to understand my point compare any of these games with the fighting animations of Assassin's creed to understand my point.

Alpha protocol, Deus Ex and Fallout have gunfights not swordfights, so I wasn't reffering to them

So yeah I was exaggerating, and you're right what I described are mostly JRPG stuff, but can you name me one Western fantasy RPG with impressive combat animations?
balderduck

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

Impressive combat or impressive sword combat? Because I think being able to target limbs in fallout is pretty impressive compared to your standard gun combat system.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:Another thing I'll give points to, is the fantastic battle animations... this fantastic realistic choreographed combat makes me wish there were more games like this

There's lots and lots of games like this. They're just not RPGs. Check out Batman: Arkham Asylum for more like it (no swords, but similar sort of thing). It doesn't hurt that it's a fantastic game besides.
Endless Mike

Postby balderduck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

Yeah I mean sword combat and I mean RPGs

Yeah batman had very nice animations
balderduck

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

Something about playing an RPG for nice animations just... doesn't sit right in my head-pan.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby mosc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

ME2 was gorgeous
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby balderduck » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Something about playing an RPG for nice animations just... doesn't sit right in my head-pan.

Obviously it's not the first priority, but why does it have to be bad? Why can't an RPG invest in making battles look good and realistic?
balderduck

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

I do agree with the original point, that AC has very beautiful combat.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Something about playing an RPG for nice animations just... doesn't sit right in my head-pan.

Obviously it's not the first priority, but why does it have to be bad? Why can't an RPG invest in making battles look good and realistic?

It's not that they can't.. it's that it's not the focus. Buying an RPG on graphics and animations is like buying a car because it has a kickass stereo. It's nice to have, but you're completely ignoring what is, arguably, the point of the whole thing and perhaps you would be better off buying something more in-line with what you're actually wanting, like a brawler or a high end stereo system.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby balderduck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
balderduck wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Something about playing an RPG for nice animations just... doesn't sit right in my head-pan.

It's not that they can't.. it's that it's not the focus. Buying an RPG on graphics and animations is like buying a car because it has a kickass stereo. It's nice to have, but you're completely ignoring what is, arguably, the point of the whole thing and perhaps you would be better off buying something more in-line with what you're actually wanting, like a brawler or a high end stereo system.

SexyTalon, you must really like disagreeing with people! :)

You remind me of this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

I NEVER EVER said that I'd buy an RPG for the graphics and animations, but that it's possible to have both (like Mass effect - only it's not fantasy)

In your analogy, I'm saying I can't see why a good car can't have a good stereo
balderduck

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

You can! There's nothing at all wrong with having both!

I just find making what should be a neat add-on, a nice thing to have if you can get it - something to actively look for over the other.. as I see them at least.. more important elements of the game.

And also, yes. I type too much.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby balderduck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

Well since we don't disagree, let's just agree to agree :)

To return to the subject at hand, I can't wait to see in what era Assassin's creed will take us in the future

I mean, for me, the best part of the game is exactly this. The fully scalable historical/architectural representation of actual places
balderduck

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

I hope they go back in time. That will prevent the inevitable shortening of years towards some futuristic nonsense. I want everything futuristic to happen as a side story like the first 3 games had.

I agree though. I guess best place would be Greece?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

I kind of have to think Ubisoft has an endgame planned for this. Like, I can't imagine the series will go on forever (although I guess it could). There's certainly no reason they couldn't use a time between Altair and Ezio. Greece would definitely be cool.

Wikipedia wrote:Assassin's Creed is a flagship property for Ubisoft. Some Ubisoft Montreal's developers stated in their interviews that Assassin's Creed III will be released eventually. The game will introduce a new character in an entirely new setting.[5] There has been much speculation about possible settings of this game. Corey May stated that Assassin's Creed III will not take place during World War II.[6] No other official information has been yet announced. Jean-Francois Boivin of Ubisoft stated that each numbered title in the franchise will introduce a new lead character and a new setting.[5] Patrice Désilets, former series' creative director, said that the series has always been planned as a trilogy. He also commented on the story of Assassin's Creed III, saying that it will focus on Assassins' quest to prevent the end of the world in 2012 and their race against time to find temples built by "those who came before". Desmond would have to search for clues on locations of these temples by exploring memories of his other ancestors.[7] Asked about future of the series, Sébastien Puel from Ubisoft said that "[...] we could do 35 of these [Assassin's Creed games]".
Endless Mike

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

Yeah, I think AC3 should be with desmond and save the world from 2012 or whatnot. That'd be cool. Also, leave it ambiguous and maybe even talk to some other teams or break some other guy out of abstergo or whatever. No reason AC4 couldn't be a new stream of stuff and then it's own timeline of historical awesomeness to go through.
mosc

Postby balderduck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Well since I live in Greece, I really hope to see it in anient Greece...Again I fear for the historical inaccuracies that will certainly follow (an orthodox priest appearing in the film "Troy" is the best and most ridiculous example) , but it would be nice to see a representation of ancient Athens in an A.C. game

But failing that I still hope for it to be set in the past...
balderduck

Postby mosc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

In the past and relatively gunless. AC2: Brotherhood's guns were already stupid enough. Guns hurt, armor doesn't do shit at that range.

Also, if I get shot out of the damn sky again by a fucking musket or handheld bow so help me... ACCURACY LACKING!
mosc

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

I got AC 1, 2, Brotherhood, & Revelations for xmas, so I've been going on an AC binge. I'm just about to start Brotherhood, which seems to be AC 2.5, so no need for a new thread hopefully.

Question: Is the Da Vinci Disappearance DLC all that great? Keep in mind I'm not interested in the multi-player aspects of the game and it sounds like a big chunk of that DLC is focused on the multi-player stuff. I don't mind paying the $10 if the solo additions are okay (especially since I didn't pay for the game), but I'm not finding much good information.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby Thesh » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:58 am UTC

AC:B is 2.33 AC:R is 2.67. AC3 is expected to be released this year (the potential 2012 apocalypse is the main event that the series revolves around), but I don't think it's official.
Now, remind me why you denied your clan?
"To be more human than human... "
Tell me, you expert in human nature,
would you still apply for candidature?
Thesh
Has the Brain Worms, In Case You Forgot.

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

AC:R is not even fit to be called part of the series. Skip it, you'll be better off. 1,2, and brotherhood were all excellent games and all improved on each other. Revelations is just a cash-in piece of regurgitated garbage.
mosc

Postby Thesh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:08 am UTC

I wouldn't pay full price for AC:R, but I think it's worth it if you can find it for half price. New gameplay elements (some suck, like tower defense, but the ziplining is fun), new locations, new missions (although not enough). It was enough for me to stay busy for many hours.
Now, remind me why you denied your clan?
"To be more human than human... "
Tell me, you expert in human nature,
would you still apply for candidature?
Thesh
Has the Brain Worms, In Case You Forgot.

Previous

Return to Gaming