What to do in college.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Halleck

What to do in college.

Postby Halleck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:02 am UTC

So, I have no idea what I want to do for college. I don't know what I want to study, I don't know where I want to go. I've always thought I would go into CS, but I'm not so sure anymore. I know CS is kinda the thing right now, and I really enjoy computers, building them and things like that, but I'm just not sure. If I go CS I'd like to be a sysadmin. Lately though I've been working as student tech director in theater and have really been enjoying running and designing sound and lights for productions. I've also been working for awhile as a videographer/editor and I enjoy it, but I'm not artistic enough for it.

I'm smart. (conceited right?) If it weren't for English, I'd be a 36, but meh. I really enjoy calc, physics and chem. I took an tech class that studies electricity and circuits and stuff, and that was really cool. I've always wanted to go to MiT, but I don't think I can get in. I don't know where else I would want to go though. I'm open to anywhere in the country except the south. Thanks for the help in advance and if there is anything else you want to know just ask. I guess I'm just really worried for the future and need some reassurance.

Solt

Re: What to do in college.

Postby Solt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:15 am UTC

How much time do you have left? I would suggest finding out more about what some of the future careers you are looking at entail. And based on what you said I would definitely suggest looking into engineering, particularly EECS. But don't limit yourself because you simply might not know what else is out there.

Is there anything (in life) that inspires you?

Is there anything (in life) that frightens you?

Is there any subject that you know an unreasonable amount about for a person your age?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

I'm a junior so I've got just under a year to start applying. I'm not sure about inspirations, but I'm definitely frightened of English. As for knowing a lot about something, I've always been great with computers, I'm the guy who has gotten past all of the blocks on school computers, given myself network admin status.

What exactly do you mean by inspires me?

harpyblues

Postby harpyblues » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

You could probably get into University of Chicago, or one of the big Midwest public flagship colleges (they tend to have a pretty good reputation for the sciences). You don't immediately have to decide your major when you enter college, most schools will give you leeway for the first year or two to make up your mind (though some majors do strongly encourage students to make a decision, so they can get onto the right track- biology is one of them?).

What was your ACT score, with english?
michaelandjimi wrote:But these are zombies of cuteness!

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 am UTC

I got a 34. (35-m 36-s 31-e 32-r 8-write) There is always Purdue or UofI. I've always wanted to go somewhere farther away, but they are always an option.

sikyon

Postby sikyon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:54 am UTC

At Waterloo (good comp school, or so I hear lol) we have 3 computer type programs:

Software Engineering: Actual programming type stuff. High level, learn lots of languages, create applications, etc. Kind of stuff you do in highschool but vastly more professional.

Computer Engineering: Low level computer stuff. OS, Assembly, some hardware stuff, etc. Basically the fundamentals that allow software engineers to write their code.

Computer Science: Fundamental stuff. Proofs, Algorithms, theorems, etc. The stuff that you can fundamentally do with a logic gate. I guess stuff like cryptology would fall under here.

Durin

Postby Durin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

Halleck wrote:I got a 34. (35-m 36-s 31-e 32-r 8-write) There is always Purdue or UofI. I've always wanted to go somewhere farther away, but they are always an option.

I'm at UofI and can vouch that it's pretty fantastic. But that's just me. But I totally understand the wanting to get away from home thing: I came here over University of Texas because I wanted to get away from home.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 am UTC

I'm at the University of Wisconsin and having the time of my life. Its engineering department is one of the top ranked in the country. The computer engineering and computer science majors have a lot of overlap and it's very easy to double major in both. I am easily double majoring in the two in four years as well as getting a certificate (UW equivalent of a minor) or two. I was having trouble deciding if I wanted to go more of a software or hardware route until I realized how easy it was to do both and get the full spectrum and have a lot more open to me.

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

I guess it's good to know that I can go to a major public university and get a good education. I guess I've always been under the impression that you have to go to the best school to be the best.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:10 am UTC

One of the big things that college will hopefully teach you, or if not college, working life, is that you're not going to be the best. Not in any way you currently find meaningful, anyway. And you don't need to be. If you were the best, you wouldn't even be able to confirm it. The most you can hope for is to feel like you're better than everyone else around you, and that's not really much of a thing at all.

But with some rephrasing, I'll agree with your sentiment: You can go to a public university and get not only a good education, but a better education than you would have gotten anywhere else. Sure, not all schools are equal, but nobody attends an entire school, either; they experience some part of that school, and it either works for them or it doesn't. There are a lot of incredibly good public universities out there. There are also public universities that aren't widely regarded as great, but happen to be the best at one or two things they do.

For instance, you've probably heard of UC Berkeley. It's a fantastic, highly-ranked school with a very good Forestry program. But when they need a book their library doesn't carry for their Forestry program, they borrow it from Humboldt State University—a much smaller, cheaper, less selective and less well-regarded public school that just happens to have the absolute best Forestry program in the country. Most people outside of California have probably never heard of HSU, but the relevant employers are well aware of the quality of its program. They don't care that the 6-year graduation rate at HSU is below 50% or that it only requires a 2.0 GPA to transfer in from any California community college.

That's just one of the more extreme examples. Yeah, you've got your Ivy League schools and your MITs. There's no denying the position of "first-tier" schools. But there are a hell of a lot more people at the next 50 or 100 schools on the list, the "second tier", doing incredible things and being very successful in their lives than there are who attend the top tier at all. This country is orders of magnitude too large and populous for the movers and shakers to only come out of those top schools.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:35 am UTC

Okay, so how do I narrow down the list of second tier schools for either CS/hardware/networking or engineering (probably aeronautical engineer)? I would rather stay out of the south and stay out of the Big Ten, the rivalries are too strong to break my father's heart.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

That's an excellent question but I think I'm going to put the answer in a thread of its own, both because it's very long and because it's advice that applies equally to anyone at the beginning of the college application process. (It's half-written, but I have work to do, so I'll finish it later tonight and let you know when it's posted.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:47 am UTC

Halleck wrote:I'm definitely frightened of English.

I meant more like in life. For example if I was afraid that everyone I know would die of cancer, I would major in biology to eventually become a cancer researcher.

What exactly do you mean by inspires me?

For me it was the space race, so I became a mechanical engineer. Do you ever read something and go like "holy crap that's awesome. I want to be included in this."
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:36 am UTC

Two things right now are the coolest thing ever to me:
1. The Concorde
2. Nuclear Energy

I'd really like to build a new supersonic commercial jet. I think that supersonic flight is really awesome and should be completely feasible with modern engineering.

I'm really scared of running out of energy. I think nukes are the way to go and that we can make nukes out of elements with non-scary half lifes and that aren't materials that are a proliferation risk.

Is that better Solt?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

The thread containing a longer answer to your question about short-lists than anyone ever wanted is here.

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:23 am UTC

Thanks that post is great. Now I just need to think about what I want in a college and what I want to do.

iChef

Postby iChef » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:31 am UTC

That's what I did in college anyway, was pretty fun and I think I even got a degree in.... uuhh.... something.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Return to “School”