Funky, filtered, and French house!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Cryopyre

Funky, filtered, and French house!

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 am UTC

Any fans of this awesome house genre?

Here's a classic to kick-start the thread.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Midnight

Re: Funky, filtered, and French house!

Postby Midnight » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:24 am UTC

I heard funky french house and immediately thought of Daft Punk.
I dunno if that's what you're talking about exactly--it does sound similar to what you put up, but my grasp of the subgenres of house music is tenuous at best.
uhhhh fuck.

Dream
WINNING

Re: Funky, filtered, and French COFFEE!

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Midnight wrote:I heard funky french house and immediately thought of Daft Punk.

Yeah, that's French House. Homework is the genre-definitive album.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 am UTC

Midnight wrote:I heard funky french house and immediately thought of Daft Punk.
I dunno if that's what you're talking about exactly--it does sound similar to what you put up, but my grasp of the subgenres of house music is tenuous at best.

Yes, actually. Thomas Bangalter is a pioneer of the genre (alongside Cassius and perhaps Justice). Thomas Bangalter is part of the Stardust trio (which I posted) and also the guy with the silver helmet in Daft Punk.

Speaking of Justice, here is the first live presentation of their new single Civilization!
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Retne

Postby Retne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Why just funky french house? Are you shunning all those deadmau5 and Tiesto fans? ;)

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:21 am UTC

If there's no living House thread, I guess they're welcome. Still, I'll tease them for their inferior tastes and not liking the things I like.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Cryopyre wrote:If DONK there's DONK no DONK living DONK House DONK thread DONK, I DONK guess DONK they're DONK welcome DONK. Still DONK, I'll DONK tease DONK them DONK for DONK their DONK inferior DONK tastes DONK and DONK not DONK liking DONK the DONK things DONK I DONK like DONK D-DONK-DONK.

Retne

Postby Retne » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:52 am UTC

You forgot a BWEEOOOOOOOOOOO-UH-WEEEEEEEOOOOOOO in the middle there Dream. :P

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:58 am UTC

And what about the WUBS?!

Oh yeah, house, not dubstep.

tipo test

Postby tipo test » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:20 pm UTC

I prefer calling frech house 'sampler disco' because, well, producers from quite a few more countries have made (brilliantly) this kind of productions.

For example, I defy you to dislike Akufen's 'Skidoos' haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vMNTSoL6M

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

Retne wrote:Why just funky french house? Are you shunning all those deadmau5 and Tiesto fans? ;)

Probably because Tiesto is a sin against nature.
Did you hear his abhorrent 'cover' of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings? It's just a really thin synth playing that beautiful tune with "boom-psh-boom-psh" the whole time.
uhhhh fuck.

Retne

Postby Retne » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:54 am UTC

I guess I should clarify that I can't stand them either. Tiesto's stuff bores me and deadmau5 is responsible for ruining a lot of good trance.

That doesn't mean I don't think other people are entitled to like it though. I know a lot of people like these guys which is why I brought them up in the first place. Of course everyone likes Daft Punk. No one is quite sure why either. I think they must be music robots from the future sent here to lay the seeds of revolution among the appliances to kick off the Robopocalypse early.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:41 am UTC

Retne wrote:Of course everyone likes Daft Punk. No one is quite sure why either.

Any time you're not sure, just put on Da Funk again, and you won't have to wonder any more. That first drum fill and then the bass coming in is one of my favourite moments in music, full stop.

Nattlinnen

Postby Nattlinnen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 am UTC

Or when you watch the Around the world video.

Homework is one of the most impressive, innovative and "it's strange that this is beautiful" album ever recorded. I love it.

Return to “Music”