Hugh Laurie:A Real American Doctor FROM AMERICA (House M.D.)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Louse M.D.

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 am UTC

Latest episode:

Spoiler:
Saw that coming. Didn't think she'd break up with him for it though.

Zombie doctors were amusing though, and the musical bit was awesome.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:That musical sequence was one of the greatest scenes I have ever seen on television, if only for the sheer audacity. The rest of the episode was unimpressive.

It made me think of his Fry & Laurie days. Like, stuff like this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raRQilFcriw , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7gP1xgRDJ4
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Re: Hugh Laurie:A Real American Doctor FROM AMERICA (House M

Postby big boss » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I really hope he doesn't go back on drugs, thats old and dry
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby Kaelri » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:
My prediction: she'll take him back by the end of the season. Or, he'll attempt suicide. And be saved by Thirteen.

Not to get too deep into psychoanalyzing fictional characters, but come on, Lisa. You knew how screwed-up he was. You also knew he was making meaningful progress as a result of your relationship. A year from now, this may not even be possible. He was getting better, and now he'll get worse. He'll relapse, be miserable and die, and you'll go back to being a lonely single-mother workaholic. This is a lose-lose decision.

(Would anyone be kind enough to fix the thread title, by the way? It's burning a hole in my brain.) No. Why do you hate Dr. Tran? - ST
Kaelri

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:
What really got me was how they all told House how selfish he was being, when he was having to face watching the current love of his life, and only person he actually seems to care about die. I freaked out last summer after hearing (from my boyfriend) that he was nearly on a plane that crashed and killed everyone on it (as in, had been going to the airport everyday to see if there were flights as it was weather dependent, and for some reason that day had decided to turn up a little later), as I had lost my dad the previous easter and the thought that it could happen again was terrible. A lot of people didn't understand how I felt (though thankfully some people did, though I think my bf was slightly mystified by it) as he was fine. I thought it was terrible that no one thought about how hard it was for him as well as Cuddy, and that relapsing in the time of an emotional crisis is fairly common
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby H2SO4 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
What really got me was how they all told House how selfish he was being, when he was having to face watching the current love of his life, and only person he actually seems to care about die. I freaked out last summer after hearing (from my boyfriend) that he was nearly on a plane that crashed and killed everyone on it (as in, had been going to the airport everyday to see if there were flights as it was weather dependent, and for some reason that day had decided to turn up a little later), as I had lost my dad the previous easter and the thought that it could happen again was terrible. A lot of people didn't understand how I felt (though thankfully some people did, though I think my bf was slightly mystified by it) as he was fine. I thought it was terrible that no one thought about how hard it was for him as well as Cuddy, and that relapsing in the time of an emotional crisis is fairly common

Spoiler:
Not to go too far into tu quoque, but I actually think Cuddy was being just as selfish, if not more-so, than House. House actually bucked up (even if it was with the aid of drugs) and thought about someone other than himself. I say that's a giant step for House, but no, Cuddy wants him to do it all at once or not at all. What a bitch.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.
H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

H2SO4 wrote:
Angua wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Not to go too far into tu quoque, but I actually think Cuddy was being just as selfish, if not more-so, than House. House actually bucked up (even if it was with the aid of drugs) and thought about someone other than himself. I say that's a giant step for House, but no, Cuddy wants him to do it all at once or not at all. What a bitch.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I agree in part (though to be fair, if she really decides that she can't date an addict because it's too emotionally draining for her, that's fair enough, but just because he broke down in this really, really emotional time shouldn't really be held against him - if something like that happened again he should get help, not be abandoned).
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 am UTC

Spoiler:
GodDAMN that last little sequence had me scared. Obviously the intended effect with the sad music and the slow-mo and the House getting on the ledge, but DAMN did they have to jerk me around so much?
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.
H2SO4

Postby big boss » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:13 am UTC

H2SO4 wrote:
Spoiler:
GodDAMN that last little sequence had me scared. Obviously the intended effect with the sad music and the slow-mo and the House getting on the ledge, but DAMN did they have to jerk me around so much?

Spoiler:
that last scene was in poor taste I think. I don't think its good directing/screen writing when they purposely fool the audience like that
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 pm UTC

big boss wrote:
Spoiler:
that last scene was in poor taste I think. I don't think its good directing/screen writing when they purposely fool the audience like that

Spoiler:
I was kinda hoping it was real and that Wilson would stop him from actually jumping, and then go through this whole "House is suicidal now" thing, as I could kinda see it happening with him thinking his return to drugs is him being a failure and not as good as he used to be...
H2SO4

Postby Angua » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

big boss wrote:
H2SO4 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I took it as House possibly deciding to change his mind at the last second? (As in just before he jumped off, not mid-air). It was crazy (as in emotionally intense and worrying) though.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The bit with the hooker and the fake murder was pretty amusing.

However... that entire episode seemed intent on fooling the audience, and not in a subtle way. "Hey look, House just shot that hooker! Oh, HA HA, you fell for it. Clearly he didn't shoot her, see? Stupid, stupid audience! Now look, House is jumping off a ledge! No really, why don't you believe me?!"
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby big boss » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
big boss wrote:
H2SO4 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I took it as House possibly deciding to change his mind at the last second? (As in just before he jumped off, not mid-air). It was crazy (as in emotionally intense and worrying) though.

Spoiler:
it was emotional, and that is a good point about house changing his mind at the last second except for this...

broken_escalator wrote:
Spoiler:

However... that entire episode seemed intent on fooling the audience, and not in a subtle way. "Hey look, House just shot that hooker! Oh, HA HA, you fell for it. Clearly he didn't shoot her, see? Stupid, stupid audience! Now look, House is jumping off a ledge! No really, why don't you believe me?!"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:
Spoiler:

very well put.
Spoiler:
storytellers should NEVER EVER lie to their audience. House can lie, Cuddy can lie, Everybody Lies, but the writer or directors telling us through the mood music or other contextual things "this has emotional significance. you should be worried. haha, just kidding. he's fine." is a big no-no.

The surgery scene also stuck out as jerking us around a bit too. "this is really dangerous. Is House being any more reckless than normal? Is Cuddy letting House be reckless because she doesn't want to deal with him? oh no, it's fine. close one though."

Also, is it just me or are they introducing a whole lot more characters recently?
Spoiler:
In this episode we have the patient (has a patient ever really had emotional significance to a doctor before?) and House's hotel buddy, and the various hookers all seemed to carry more significance than other minor characters from earlier seasons. We also had Chase's whole naked-picture drama where we meet four different girls, with the last one sounding like it was going to be a recurring character or something.
KrazyerKate

Postby Kaelri » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:Also, is it just me or are they introducing a whole lot more characters recently?
Spoiler:
In this episode we have the patient (has a patient ever really had emotional significance to a doctor before?) and House's hotel buddy, and the various hookers all seemed to carry more significance than other minor characters from earlier seasons. We also had Chase's whole naked-picture drama where we meet four different girls, with the last one sounding like it was going to be a recurring character or something.

Spoiler:
I dunno, it doesn't seem that unusual to me. I think of House's roommate and love interest in the S6 premier; the rape victim who would only speak to him; previous recurring characters like Lucas and the cop in season 3; and of course all the other rejected applicants in the first half of season 4. They float so many test balloons, in fact, that it's sort of remarkable how the original cast, sans Cameron, is basically intact.
Kaelri

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

Kaelri wrote:
Spoiler:
I dunno, it doesn't seem that unusual to me. I think of House's roommate and love interest in the S6 premier; the rape victim who would only speak to him; previous recurring characters like Lucas and the cop in season 3; and of course all the other rejected applicants in the first half of season 4. They float so many test balloons, in fact, that it's sort of remarkable how the original cast, sans Cameron, is basically intact.

Spoiler:
That's what she gets for not being able to love a murderer OR a psychopath. Bitch.
H2SO4

Postby Kaelri » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:55 am UTC

H2SO4 wrote:
Spoiler:
That's what she gets for not being able to love a murderer OR a psychopath. Bitch.

Spoiler:
Yeah, jeez, talk about high standards.
Kaelri

Postby Vash » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

Nuclear Spoon wrote:This wins so much. So, so much.

Out of interest, how many American fans of House were surprised to find out he was English?

When I first started watching, I could not tell whether he was English or American. I kind of thought he was English.

As for the show, I used to like it a lot. In many ways, it is a very well-made show. Ultimately, the most valuable parts are the mystery solving and medical drama. What brings it down is that almost all of the episode is consumed by the most juvenile understanding of humans possible with this ultimately socially inept House M.D. shown as socially capable and influential. Combine that with superhuman problem solving capabilities, and you have a show that assholes all across the land emulate and quote to annoying effect. That is not to mention, of course, that every character in the show is shallow, juvenile, and annoying. Thirteen is the best, and I still hate her. The writers are also simply unable or unwilling to write a serious opponent to House. Wilson kind of comes close, but not really. When I was power-tripping after getting out of an abusive situation this show was fucking awesome (that's a little bit too personal for me, but "power-tripping" is something too bad to not explain). Now it just serves as a lesson to me about just how hurt and silly I was. I am glad to have moved on from that. House is also a blatant Mary Sue (stated by the creators themselves).
Vash

Postby Jesse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

The most valuable parts are the mystery solving and medical drama? I call bullshit on that. The most valuable part to that show is House being witty. Take that away and you have a boring episode.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Vash » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:08 am UTC

Jesse wrote:The most valuable parts are the mystery solving and medical drama? I call bullshit on that. The most valuable part to that show is House being witty. Take that away and you have a boring episode.

The fact that I find the viewpoint they give him pretty unintelligent probably ruins his "wit" for me. To me, he just seems like an arrogant little kid in a 50-year-old's body. You are right, though. That is the part I used to enjoy as well. It makes sense why I do not anymore.
Vash

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 am UTC

Vash wrote:
Jesse wrote:The most valuable parts are the mystery solving and medical drama? I call bullshit on that. The most valuable part to that show is House being witty. Take that away and you have a boring episode.

The fact that I find the viewpoint they give him pretty unintelligent probably ruins his "wit" for me. To me, he just seems like an arrogant little kid in a 50-year-old's body. You are right, though. That is the part I used to enjoy as well. It makes sense why I do not anymore.

I agree with your point that that they aren't focusing enough on the cases. I like watching House solving cases and dealing with all the drama that comes with that much more than I like watching him dealing with all the drama that comes out of the personal lives of the cast. That said, I don't think we should de-emphasize the fact that the show is still about House. It's not the solution of the case that's interesting, it's the unique (and sometimes immature or silly) ways that he goes about finding that solution.

Kaelri wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote:Also, is it just me or are they introducing a whole lot more characters recently?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Is it safe to say that people have watched season six? can we start unspoilering now? If not I'll edit this post.

I thought they purposely put a bunch of unfamiliar characters in the Season Premier so that it would be seen as sort of an isolated House: The Movie, the events of which are only tangentially related to the actual show. In other words, I never expected any of those characters to come back. Similarly, the intent at the beginning of season 4 was clear: "here's a bunch of possible characters to add to the show, but only X many will be here by the end of the season."

'floating test balloons' is fine, I just feel like they've been doing it more recently. To add to the list, the latest episode had
Spoiler:
The Russian bride. Now we're going to have to see how that gets resolved in addition to the other minor characters. And the end of the show seemed like the writers were opening up the possibility that the team might have to deal with a mass-murderer.

And the promos for next week's episode shows
Spoiler:
Thirteen coming back, and it's hard to imagine that being a one-time appearance.
KrazyerKate

Postby Xeio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Zombie doctors were amusing though, and the musical bit was awesome.
"Good thing I brought my axe cane."

What? I just watched it yesterday... what? They're at least a week late on hulu, and I hadn't felt like watching it last week.
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

Vash wrote:...Ultimately, the most valuable parts are the mystery solving and medical drama...

The problem with that aspect of the show is that House the character has figured out how House the show works. In the early seasons, there'd be scenes of House alone in his office, at night, staring at the whiteboard. Hugh Laurie would have his thinkin' face on. Eventually, House'd come up with an idea that would be wrong, but provide new information. Then, towards the end of the episode, he'd be talking to Wilson about something else, often getting lectured about whatever jackass thing he'd done most recently, and figure out the case.

A few seasons ago, Wilson quit and House tried to hire him for an hour to bounce ideas off of him. House said that he could find another oncologist, even a better one, but that talking to Wilson helped him think of ideas. In another episode, Cuddy asked House what he was going to do, and he said something like, "Talk to Wilson about something else and see what happens."

Since House knows that working late and obsessing over the case won't help, he doesn't bother. He doesn't put much effort into the differentials because it doesn't matter which wrong idea he tries first. It's actually in the best interest of the patient for him to spend less time working and more time doing as many jackass things as possible so that Wilson will have more things to lecture him about.

I also believe that House knows that something will go wrong during every MRI, but that the exact nature of the catastrophe that befalls a specific patient will provide a valuable clue.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Isaac Hill

Postby Vash » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:52 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:The problem with that aspect of the show is that ... will provide a valuable clue.

That's brilliant. I am not sure House does jackass things for that reason in every case (while realizing it). I mainly doubt it because he explains it in other ways. It's still a good conjecture and could be true, though. The MRI idea is a very good idea. I could even see him saying that on one occasion.
Vash

Postby Vash » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

I hate to say it, but after a long hiatus I watched this show today and enjoyed it immensely. What is impressive is how much House is not an asshole rather than how much he is.
Vash

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand there it is. The Break The Cutie moment we've all been waiting for. And how delicious it was.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaaand there it is. The Break The Cutie moment we've all been waiting for. And how delicious it was.

I expected a bit more breakage, but that was pretty good.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby The EGE » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

She'll be back within a couple seasons.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.
The EGE

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:45 am UTC

... all hardened and bitter.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby The EGE » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:44 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:... all hardened and bitter.

Possibly better. She would be much more interesting as a character if there were plotlines about her other than "Break the Cutie: now with moral decision problems".
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.
The EGE

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:44 am UTC

The Masters arc reminded me a little bit of the Dark Knight. The Joker tries to get Batman to break his no killing rule. House tries to get Masters to break her no lying rule. 3M's rule book was probably a bit more complex than that, but it seemed like no lying was the root of it. She had no problem giving a patient disease variant A in hopes of causing his immune system to fight disease vaiant C, but she insisted on being honest with the patient, including explaining the 85% chance of death.

TDK worked better because the Joker and Batman were basically evenly matched. House would have worked better with a doctor who had 10+ years of practice under her belt and still believed in always being honest. Someone who'd faced the cancer girl dilema, let the patient refuse treatment and die, but still believed she did the right thing because honesty matters. That could be more interesting since even though we know House won't change, the other doctor's fate wouldn't be so predictable. Here, we're just waiting for the nice girl to cry.

P.S. Thanks, Vash
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Isaac Hill

Postby modularblues » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:54 am UTC

I thought the
Spoiler:
chickens
were a nice touch, particularly at the end. It's like a metaphor of her journey working with House.
modularblues

Postby emceng » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

modularblues wrote:I thought the
Spoiler:
chickens
were a nice touch, particularly at the end. It's like a metaphor of her journey working with House.

That was my favorite part of the episode. It was just a hilarious side story that really made it fun to watch.

Also, how have I missed this thread before?

Just gonna spoiler the rest of this:
Spoiler:
Holy fuck donkey balls was Masters annoying. It was in small part her acting(mediocre at best) and two her moralizing. But the far, far, far most annoying aspect was that she was a completely useless character. The writers made her useful by turning the other team members into morons.

The primary example was the smallpox episode. Near the end, House is likely infected. So what happens? Foreman, Chase, et al. are like - whelp, House is done for, should we have a 3 day weekend or just sit around and watch him die? So Masters goes all crazy trying to find a cure. House's super team apparently didn't care that he was dying, and while they're perfectly willing to try anything to save other patients, they barely put in an ounce of effort on House himself? That's just bad writing.

So hooray, Masters is gone! See my post in the Awesome thread
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby KrazyerKate » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

emceng: I agree that Masters was sort of wimpy. I was hoping that they'd use her tattletale nature to give her a bit more power over House. Maybe make her into a mini-Cuddy or something. It just isn't that fun to watch House fight with someone who he is obviously superior to.
KrazyerKate

Postby Vash » Tue May 03, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:P.S. Thanks, Vash

You are welcome!
Vash

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Fri May 06, 2011 11:30 pm UTC

So I'm not the only one who found Masters really annoying? :? Her character had the potential to be awesome but they never really developed her from what I've seen...Although I live in Australia and probably haven't seen the last few episodes that most of you guys have yet :(
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
T3CHN0CR4T

Postby Ryom » Tue May 24, 2011 8:19 am UTC

Interesting Season Finale... not sure what the plan is to begin next season :P
Ryom

Postby ArgonV » Tue May 24, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

Ryom wrote:Interesting Season Finale... not sure what the plan is to begin next season :P

Spoiler:
Probably House answering calls from his team while in the Bahamas or wherever he is right now. Cuddy hasn't fired him explicitly yet, right? Just forbade him to come back to the hospital :P
ArgonV

Postby Angua » Tue May 24, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Did anyone else find the ending a bit anticlimatic? I was hoping for somehting a bit more dramatic. Also, I was hopign that we'd see the psychiatrist again.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby ArgonV » Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
Did anyone else find the ending a bit anticlimatic? I was hoping for somehting a bit more dramatic. Also, I was hopign that we'd see the psychiatrist again.

Spoiler:
Driving into a house is anti-climactic? This isn't an action series, remember?

Maybe the psychiatrist will fly down to the Bahamas?
ArgonV

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows