Cocktails

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Cocktails

Postby Azrael » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

lewismd wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:...it seems as though they must have fancy cocktail ingredients in stock. I wonder where they get them?
Most of them probably get their booze from wholesalers.
Almost any liquor store that wants your business can order in stuff. Admittedly, there are plenty of places that will look at you funny if you ask for anything besides a 30-pack of canned crap. But "good" stores that just don't have the volume or floor space? They should be willing to help, and all they typically have to do is look up in an index which of their distributors carry what brands.
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby Роберт » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
CleverNamePending wrote:I have a drink I make called "Girls Night In" which is Bailys, Kaluha, Chocolate milk, chocolate ice cream, then garnished with whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

I have primarily male friends so I don't get a lot of excuses to make them. D=

I have the dangly genitalia, and I would drink the hell out of that.

It's basically just a mudslide milkshake without the vodka, though.

Using that phrase is not very sensitive to trans individuals I don't think. Or those with "lips" that are dangly.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Роберт wrote:Using that phrase is not very sensitive to trans individuals I don't think. Or those with "lips" that are dangly.

Huh. Yeah, actually, you're entirely right. My bad.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:44 am UTC

The false equivalence is worse than the phrase itself.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
The Mighty Thesaurus
a.k.a. The Puissant Lexicographical Tome

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 am UTC

Well yeah. The phrase is just a phrase. But when used to mean "I am a dude", it is kindof shitty. And for this I have apologies.
Belial

Postby Роберт » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

Well, back to cock tails[sic], I see no reason to avoid stereotypically "girly" drinks as a man, if I'm in the right mood. Bring on the Girl's Night Out, the cosmopolitan, whatever, I like a good sweet cocktail sometimes. I also like martini with gin, a touch of dry vermouth and olive brine, garnished with an olive, so I have broad tastes. I don't discriminate based on genre, I guess.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby rrwoods » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Well, back to cock tails[sic], I see no reason to avoid stereotypically "girly" drinks as a man, if I'm in the right mood. Bring on the Girl's Night Out, the cosmopolitan, whatever, I like a good sweet cocktail sometimes. I also like martini with gin, a touch of dry vermouth and olive brine, garnished with an olive, so I have broad tastes. I don't discriminate based on genre, I guess.

Sex on the Beach is one of my favorite drinks. Bring on the ridiculously sweet stuff.

I like beer, more than I used to, but fuck stereotypes -- the "girly" drinks are where it's at.
26/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.
rrwoods

Postby Thesh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:22 am UTC

Girly drinks are fine, taste good, great for when you want to get drunk and just have a good time. However, when I just want to sit back and relax and sip a drink, a good whiskey, beer, or cocktail like an old fashioned, sazerac, or manhattan is usually preferred for me.
Now, remind me why you denied your clan?
"To be more human than human... "
Tell me, you expert in human nature,
would you still apply for candidature?
Thesh
Has the Brain Worms, In Case You Forgot.

Postby Mr. Mack » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Speaking of so-called girly drinks, if anyone has seen that ChocoVine stuff anywhere and wondered about it. Yes, it is really good. Think chocolate covered cherry to get a general idea of what it's like. Although the raspberry version isn't nearly as good. IIRC the problem was that the raspberry flavor was too sharp and ended up clashing with the chocolate, which I guess would make sense if "sharp" were a flavor.

In a similar vein, Sheelin Irish Cream is a red wine based Irish Cream, and it is awesome. Goes great with vanilla vodka and coffee liqueur and can help cover up the awful taste of DeKuyper's Creme de Cacao. Admittedly, the only other Irish cream I've had is Bailey's, but it's better than Bailey's and cheaper.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!
Mr. Mack

Postby lewismd » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

My personal favorite for Irish Cream is Carolan's. Also cheaper than Baileys and (IMO) better.
lewismd

Postby _Axle_ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Girly drinks are fine, taste good, great for when you want to get drunk and just have a good time. However, when I just want to sit back and relax and sip a drink, a good whiskey, beer, or cocktail like an old fashioned, sazerac, or manhattan is usually preferred for me.

Same here. I started drinking with Mike's. Though, I generally drink Whiskey straight or Whiskey sours. Of course, I don't make them much, but I make a wicked Appletini ( with 99 Apples ).
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.
_Axle_

Postby firechicago » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

I have to share one of my favorite cocktail recipes of all time, and one that I haven't ever seen outside of the book I found it in:

The Oriental

3 parts bourbon or rye*
1 part sweet vermouth
1 part triple sec or Cointreau
1 part lime juice

Shake with ice and serve in a martini glass.

A remarkably perfect balance, it hides the kick of the whiskey without masking its flavor or turning into a cloyingly sweet drink.

*and it really does have to be bourbon or rye, I've had people try to make this drink for me with Jack Daniels or Scotch, and the result is barely drinkable.
firechicago

Postby _Axle_ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

I think I found that recipe in my bar book, but under a different name, Derby. It has a note for a variation called the Oriental cocktail.
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.
_Axle_

Postby firechicago » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:21 am UTC

A little online research suggests that the Oriental first appeared (along with so many other classic cocktails) in Harry Craddock's "Savoy Cocktail Book." But unlike some of its companions in that book has remained lamentably obscure until the last ten years or so. Apparently there's also a recent version called the James Joyce which uses Irish whiskey. I haven't tried Irish whiskey, since I usually only stock Bourbon and Scotch in my bar.
firechicago

Postby Rackum » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

As far as obscure cocktails go, one of my favorite has to be the Stone Fence -- incredibly simple, yet quite delicious. The linked recipe leaves out the dash of bitters that I usually add, but that's not too big of a differentiation.

Now that I think about it, it's not just one of my favorite "obscure" cocktails but one of my favorite drinks all-around.
Rackum

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:14 am UTC

So, I have a wet bar/kitchen counter I would like to empty as much as I can without giving myself alcohol poisoning before I move out of my apartment in a few months. I have:

Tanqueray Dry Gin
    St. Petersburg Vodka
    Skol Vodka
    Mr. Boston Vodka
    Absente Absinth
    Anisette
    Diplomatica Anejo Rum
    Ultimo Agave Tequila
    Tamdhu 10 yr old Highland Single Malt Scotch
    Johnny Walker 18 yr old Gold Label Scotch
    Philadelphia Blended Whiskey (not really sure what it is exactly)
    Hiram Walker Coffee Liqueur
    Patron Citronge Triple Sec
    St. Germaine
    Dry Vermouth
    Irish Mist
    Villa Massa Lemoncello
    Amaretto

Anybody have recommendations for good stuff to make with what I have? It gets a little boring drinking neat whiskey sometimes, and some of the stuff I have I really would not drink neat, like the Amaretto or the Lemoncello. I'd rather not buy any more alcohol until I move. I'm okay with buying more non-alcoholic ingredients, as they seem easier to buy in small quantity than their alcoholic counterparts. I also likely won't be mixing anything into the rum or the JW, and only sugar into the Absente. I'm also using this as a running list of my remaining alcohol, that's why those are on the list.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:12 am UTC

pity the gin already went. St Germaine, Gin, and Lemon Juice mixes up quite nicely. Could probably make it MOAR BOOZEY with lemoncello instead of lemon juice. Could try substituting in vodka, not sure how well it would work out.
Belial

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 am UTC

I shall try substituting vodka. I have no idea why I have so much, I blame my former room mate. I tried a vodka tonic yesterday when I wanted a gin and tonic and realized I was out, and it was quite good.

update:
  • 2 parts vodka
  • 1 park St. Germain
  • 1/2 part Lemoncello
  • Two ice cubes

Tasty. I'd also apparently forgotten how sweet lemoncello is. I originally only had 1 part vodka, but I had to add more to negate some of the sweetness.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:04 am UTC

Sarah juiced half a grapefruit and then put in a little bit of artificial sweetener, about an equal volume of gin, and topped it off with soda.

I juiced the other half of the grapefruit and put it in the blender with a small white peach and a piece of ice. Pulverized it and added 3/4 oz. gin and a little soda.

Her drink is kind of like grapefruit-flavored orangina plus a bunch of gin. It's not bad. My drink is frothy and less strong. I garnished it with a slice of lime. Very frothy. It has little bits of peach skin and grapefruit pulp suspended in the froth. It's a very interesting experience and I think it's pretty enjoyable. The only sweetener is the peach, which was from her mom's tree and is perfectly ripe and very sweet. White peaches seem sweeter than yellow peaches to me. The gin is a nice added flavor.

I know these aren't real cocktails by any strict definition, but don't worry, we'll have a martini some other time. Tonight is grapefruit juice night.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Amarantha » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:50 am UTC

Just because they're not classics doesn't mean they're not cocktails. I think they sound bloody awesome. Kind of like a salty dog highball, with some bellini elements from the peach.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.
Amarantha

Postby Роберт » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Cocktails are great because you can do basically whatever the junk you want to, and so long as it's alcoholic and drinkable, it counts. Your drinks sound tasty.
Роберт

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm UTC

I really enjoy whiskey sours.

juice the lemon into a cup cause I don't have that fancy shaker thing.
add what looks like enough simple syrup I keep in a mason jar.
double the volume of liquid in the glass by adding bourbon.

stir, add ice, and a maraschino cherry.
418 I'm a teapot
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby fanofbangelthor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:38 am UTC

The Manhattan is my favorite cocktail, but it's not what I turn to in most situations.
If I'm holding a party, and someone wants a drink and doesn't like beer, I usually make them a Dirty Girl Scout (Vodka, coffee liqueur, irish cream, and creme de menthe. Tastes like a Thin Mint.) It's delicious, relatively simple, and not terribly common (like a screwdriver).
If I'm at someone else's place, and am offered a drink, I generally go with a rum and coke, because odds are they have the ingredients, and it's not complicated to make. If you've heard the name, you know the recipe.
I also really like having a Daquiri (White rum, lime juice, and simple syrup), but I generally save those for when I'm feeling classy.
fanofbangelthor

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 am UTC

I'm happy drinking liquor neat, so my approach to cocktails is pretty minimal. Just enough to add some complexity, not enough to mask any of the flavor.

My favorite cocktail is definitely the old fashioned with rye whiskey, either Rittenhouse or Bulleit. Sometimes I'll use simple syrup, sometimes a spoonful of maraschino cherry juice, sometimes I forego the sweetener entirely. It depends who I'm making it for, and what mood I'm in. I don't think I'd ever make someone else an old fashioned without sweetener (other than the muddled cherry, because damn, whiskey-soaked cherries tastes good) unless I knew ahead of time that they shared my taste for liquor.

A similar drink I came up with recently, mostly the result of a bottle of Flor de Caña Grand Reserva and whatever I had in my cabinet, is an old fashioned with the whiskey replaced by dark rum, and the bitters replaced by half a fresh squeezed lime. I looked online and I guess it's basically a cherry daiquiri, and it's delicious.
TheAmazingRando

Postby dubsola » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

I've yet to have a whisky sour that I like. I don't really like whisky so that's probably why, but still.

I had an amazing drink recently, it was really sour, which I like, and it involved cider, which I also like. The name requires some explanation: Somerset (a county in England) is famous for it's cider.

Somerset Sour
Somerset Cider Brandy
Lemon Juice
Breton Cider

There may have been one other ingredient that I've forgotten.
dubsola

Postby Роберт » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I've yet to have a whisky sour that I like. I don't really like whisky so that's probably why, but still.

I had an amazing drink recently, it was really sour, which I like, and it involved cider, which I also like. The name requires some explanation: Somerset (a county in England) is famous for it's cider.

Somerset Sour
Somerset Cider Brandy
Lemon Juice
Breton Cider

There may have been one other ingredient that I've forgotten.

You don't like whiskey? But it's so delicious!

Great for camping:
10 oz hot coffee
2 packets hot chocolate mix
1-2 shots Bourbon or whiskey
(Amounts are approximate.)

Mix together and enjoy! Maybe trying something as tasty as that a few times will get your pallet used to the flavor of whiskey and you'll enjoy it?

Anyway, cider mixed drinks sound good.
Роберт

Postby dubsola » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

I just don't LOVE it. I do own a bottle of this, which I definitely like, but prefer rum and gin cocktails.
dubsola

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

Yesterday I went here, to do a cocktail-making masterclass. Utterly brilliant.

Started off with a George Washington punch, with fresh nutmeg dusting the teacups, then moved on to a Clover Club with a raspberry sitting on top of the froth, continued to the height of Tiki with a Don the Beachcomber style drink and finished up with a mulled Cosmopolitan, one of the smoothest things I've ever drunk. Really interesting talk on the history of the cocktail, the people who drank different drinks and the reason the bartender chose particular spirits for the mixes.

Utterly recommend it.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:20 am UTC

My Christmas punch was an experiment before I tasted it and I think I decided it is going to be a tradition immediately after I tasted it. Spiced cider, citrus juices, spiced rum, angostura bitters and a little nutmeg. So easy, so tasty.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:07 am UTC

That does sound like firm foundations for a classic.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth

Postby dubsola » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Spiced cider, citrus juices, spiced rum, angostura bitters and a little nutmeg. So easy, so tasty.

Did you slice the spider yourself?
dubsola

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

No, I got a jug from the grocery store. It's a brand that uses apples from a local orchard, at least, and quite heavily spiced.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed May 23, 2012 4:39 am UTC

Four months? Seriously, people? I'm drinking a dry manhattan with an olive. It's really good. Come on and ante up.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby wam » Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 am UTC

I think most of these look good.

http://themetapicture.com/avengers-cocktails/

I personally like the look of the agent coulson the most. Although it would probably be leathal.
Come join us playing mafia signup here
wam

Postby starslayer » Wed May 23, 2012 5:47 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Four months? Seriously, people? I'm drinking a dry manhattan with an olive. It's really good. Come on and ante up.
With an olive? Don't think I'd like that garnish in a Manhattan.

I've been drinking all kinds of crap, really; I just recently started seriously expanding my liquor cabinet from all single malt scotch, all the time. I think I'll be making a big batch of proper daiquiris for an upcoming party, though, and suggestions of good things to make with amaretto are welcome.

wam wrote:I personally like the look of the agent coulson the most
They apparently don't understand that Cointreau is a type of triple sec...
starslayer

Postby ahammel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:34 am UTC

Hey, I seem to have invented a cocktail of some kind.

2 oz gin
dash amaretto
dash simple syrup
Angostura bitters to taste
twist of lemon
2 raspberries

Combine the gin, amaretto, syrup and bitters with plenty of crushed ice, stir vigorously and pour into a chilled glass. Squeeze the twist over the glass and rub it over the rim. Garnish with the twist and raspberries.

Not bad. Adapted from this recipe when I discovered I didn't have any marachino liquer or triple sec, but I did have raspberries.
Glendower wrote:I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur wrote: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby starslayer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

Singapore Slings are amazing. I am really glad I bought the Heering and Benedictine for that party I went to. This is the recipe I've been using:

1.5 oz gin
1/2 oz Cherry Heering
1/4 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz triple sec
2 oz pineapple juice
dash Angostura bitters
2 dashes grenadine
3/4 oz lime juice

Shake with ice and strain into an iced highball glass. Optionally top with club soda. Delicious.
starslayer

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

Not really a cocktail, but it's not like we have a "mixed shots" thread.

Alien Brain Hemhorrage:

Surprisingly delicious!
Belial

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

I'm not sure that there are many definitions of cocktail that exclude mixed shots while including many popular cocktails.
bigglesworth

Postby Роберт » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

As I guessed, that is Irish Cream.
http://www.geekosystem.com/alien-brain- ... -cocktail/
^ look, even the URL thinks it's a cocktail.
Роберт

PreviousNext

Return to Food