Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
NecklaceOfShadow
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 pm UTC
Location: In the alchemical aether
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

Oh gods, why'd I do this? This did not deserve so much attention...

Spoiler:
sourmìlk wrote:Self-righteous teenagers who think they know everything, giving us teenagers who at least try (but often fail) to show humility a bad name.


...what kind of humility do you show when you say us teenagers who at least try to show humility?

People who hold contradictory ideas in their heads and refuse to recognize said contradiction.


I got your mum's phone number out of it. It seemed to work out.

Sociopaths who enjoy the pain of others (e.g. griefers on minecraft).


Just to make sure... The set of all people who enjoy another's pain and the set of all sociopaths are *different.* They're not disjoint, but P\S will definitely not create an empty set. Got that?

People who incorrectly think they're funny due to the fact that their audience incorrectly thinks they're funny.


Okay, I must call this out. Solipsism much? Sweetie, people can have different tastes than you *and still be right.*

Music made without any regard to the pleasure of the listener my tastes, the only ones that matter (see: Black Eyed Peas, Lil Wayne, anything my sister listens to.)


I fixed that for you. It expresses your point a lot better now.

Science fiction that deviates from commonly accepted sci-fi rules regarding suspension of disbelief. Matter creation, although basically impossible, is okay. Psychic powers are not. (looking at you, betazoids and Jedi).


Uhhh.... what? Just... what? I've read this a couple of times and I still can't grok what you're saying. Does this specific combination of words even have a meaning in the English language? It's so nonsensical that I can't make heads or tails of it.

Businesses that take advantage of willful ignorance (see: anything New Age). I think the willfully ignorant deserve what they get, but people shouldn't make a living giving it to them.


If they deserve what they get, why is it wrong to give it to them? Isn't this slightly contradictory of you?

Politicians who value taking the party line more than fixing problems. I.e., all politicians.


...Wiener? Anthony Wiener is pretty freaking awesome, you know. Look into him. He's <3.

Quiet people who feel unable to express their opinions.


Oh noes, I'm sorry that my social anxiety bothers you. What would you like me to do to fix this?

Beautiful women who refuse to talk to me. (I'm just kidding, these don't exist).


I feel that if I tried to examine all the misogyny in this statement, I'd be here all day.

People who judge others by arbitrary factors.


*COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH* MIRROR. LOOK INTO IT. *COUGH* *COUGH*

Puberty.


Ehh. Certain puberty is nice. At times, though, I could not agree more.

Mod wordfilters.


Boo hoo. Cry more.

People who put two spaces after the ends of sentences.


You mean... people who do it right?

Objective-C. Not just because it's OS-specific, but also because it's weird and accomplishes nothing.


If it really accomplished nothing, would it be used as much as it is?

The growing of hair and nails.


Them's fighting words.

XKCD made Slightly Worses that actually make XKCD slightly worse.


You mean... xkcdsw strips that do one of the things they're supposed to do?

BBCode: what's wrong with HTML?


Too much power. Certain posters just can't be trusted with <javascript> and <div> tags.

The odd societal relationship to genitalia: either they're gross or sexy. Pick one.


Grosexy. That's my choice.

The fact that people have arbitrarily decided that it's no longer reasonable to call the mentally challenged "retards".


HOW DARE THOSE UNPRIVILEGED PEOPLE SAY THAT I CAN'T REFER TO THEM WITH SLURS? LANGUAGE! DESCRIPTIVISM! YAHTZEE!

Those who temporarily alter their tastes to appease their significant other.


My tastes are turning a bit more classic rock/reggae/indie as a result of my joshzy and I don't mind one bit, whether it's temporary or not.

A lack of consensus on issues that should seem objective.


Okay, this is asinine. "[S]hould seem objective" implies that you yourself know that these issues are not objective. So you're being angry that people don't automatically agree on things that are up to some degree of interpretation.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

User avatar
Kulantan
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere witty

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kulantan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:
BBCode: what's wrong with HTML?


Too much power. Certain posters just can't be trusted with <javascript> and <div> tags.

Truth.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

User avatar
NecklaceOfShadow
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 pm UTC
Location: In the alchemical aether
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

THE BEES! OH GOD, THEY'RE IN MY MOUTH!
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

How did you get some javascript into an [url] tag? Whenever I try to do it or quote you, it's botched horribly...

[url=javascript:var%20s%20=%20document.createElement('script');s.type='text/javascript';document.body.appendChild(s);s.src='http://erkie.github.com/asteroids.min.js';void(0);]pew pew[/url]

Nvm the miner ship can't kill your bees. Invincible bees. Fuck.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:
NecklaceOfShadow wrote:
BBCode: what's wrong with HTML?


Too much power. Certain posters just can't be trusted with <javascript> and <div> tags.

[url=javascript://%0A%28function%28%29%7Bfunction%20f%28%29%7Bvar%20a%3Darguments;for%28var%20i%3D0;i%3Ca.length;i++%29if%28a%5Bi%5D%29return%20a%5Bi%5D;return%200%7Dfunction%20sc%28%29%7Breturn%7Bx%3Af%28document.documentElement.scrollLeft%2Cdocument.body.scrollLeft%2Cwindow.pageXOffset%29%2Cy%3Af%28document.documentElement.scrollTop%2Cdocument.body.scrollTop%2Cwindow.pageYOffset%29%7D%7Dfunction%20di%28%29%7Breturn%7Bx%3Af%28document.body.clientWidth%2Cdocument.documentElement.clientWidth%2Cwindow.innerWidth%29%2Cy%3Af%28document.body.clientHeight%2Cdocument.documentElement.clientHeight%2Cwindow.innerHeight%29%7D%7Dfunction%20mo%28e%29%7Bif%28e.pageY%21%3D%3Dundefined%29return%7Bx%3Ae.pageX%2Cy%3Ae.pageY%7D;else%7Bvar%20s%3Dsc%28%29;return%7Bx%3Ae.clientX+s.x%2Cy%3Ae.clientY+s.y%7D%7D%7Dvar%20bl%3D%27http%3A//www.mrphlip.com/tmp/bee_left.gif%27%2Cbr%3D%27http%3A//www.mrphlip.com/tmp/bee_right.gif%27%2Cn%3D150%2Ca%3D%5B%5D%2Cd%3Ddi%28%29%2Cs%3Dsc%28%29%2Cr%3DMath.random%2Csq%3DMath.sqrt%2Cm%3D%7Bx%3Ad.x/2+s.x%2Cy%3Ad.y/2+s.y%7D;function%20mm%28e%29%7Bm%3Dmo%28e%29%7Dif%28window.addEventListener%29window.addEventListener%28%27mousemove%27%2Cmm%2Ctrue%29;else%20if%28document.attachEvent%29document.attachEvent%28%27onmousemove%27%2Cmm%29;for%28var%20i%3D0;i%3Cn;i++%29%7Bvar%20e%3Dr%28%29*4%2Co%3D%7Bi%3Adocument.createElement%28%27img%27%29%2Cx%3Ae%3C2%3Fr%28%29*d.x+s.x%3Ae%3C3%3Fs.x-r%28%29*50-10%3As.x+d.x+r%28%29*50+10%2Cy%3Ae%3E2%3Fr%28%29*d.y+s.y%3Ae%3E1%3Fs.y-r%28%29*50-10%3As.y+d.y+r%28%29*50+10%2Cvx%3Ar%28%29*20-10%2Cvy%3Ar%28%29*20-10%7D;o.i.style.position%3D%27absolute%27;document.body.appendChild%28o.i%29;a%5Bi%5D%3Do%7Dfunction%20upd%28%29%7Bfor%28var%20j%3D0;j%3Cn;j++%29with%28a%5Bj%5D%29%7Bvar%20d%3D%7Bx%3Am.x-x%2Cy%3Am.y-y%7D%2Cz%3Dsq%28d.x*d.x+d.y*d.y%29/5;vx+%3Dd.x/z;vy+%3Dd.y/z;z%3Dsq%28vx*vx+vy*vy%29/50;if%28z%3E1%29%7Bvx/%3Dz;vy/%3Dz%7Dx+%3Dvx;y+%3Dvy;var%20s%3Dvx%3C0%3Fbl%3Abr;if%28i.src%21%3Ds%29i.src%3Ds;i.style.left%3Dx-8+%27px%27;i.style.top%3Dy-8+%27px%27%7D;setTimeout%28upd%2C50%29%7Dupd%28%29%7D%29%28%29;void%280%29]Truth.[/url]

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Diadem » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Science fiction that deviates from commonly accepted sci-fi rules regarding suspension of disbelief. Matter creation, although basically impossible, is okay. Psychic powers are not. (looking at you, betazoids and Jedi).

Star Trek
Star Wars
Dune
The Foundation Series
2001: A Space Odyssey
Everything ever written by Peter F. Hamilton
Mostly everything ever been written by Philip K. Dick
Ender's Game
Hyperion

Fuck, seriously, it's actually pretty hard to find examples of sci-fi that do not contain psychic powers. Ok that's an overstatement, there are plenty, such as Stranger in a Strange Land, Fahrenheit 451, several books by Clarke of Asimov, etc, etc (iirc and rather incredibly, I think hhgttg may qualify as well). But I doubt it's a majority.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Torvaun » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

How do you like telepathy? The ability to transfer thoughts between two creatures without any visible changes? That's like talking, as viewed by beings who don't have a sense of hearing.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am UTC
Location: Coolest little capital in the world
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby pollywog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Why the word retard is a slur (ignoring it's long history as a slur).

The definition of retard is to cause to move at a slower rate, to impede, to delay. This is not applicable to most "mentally challenged" people (I'd not say this either, rude as fuck) because it's not that their development or cognitive ability has been impeded or slowed down, it's that it is taking an atypical path that ends up in a slightly different place to a majority of other people. They will never "catch up" (feels bad just saying that) to people of a typical development pattern, because genetically they weren't going to the same place to begin with. Now, if you are going to call someone who has had a brain injury a ret-whatever, it also doesn't apply because their cognitive development has not been slowed or delayed (I know this is a less common use of the insult, but this boy I went to school with used to cop it a lot).

So to call someone a retard doesn't make a lot of sense, because development isn't really slowed down all that often. It just happens differently for different people. And then you've got the fact that it is incredibly likely that a massive percentage (from here on in anecdotal evidence) of the nontechnical use of the word is not aimed at any atypically developing person, but instead a more typically developing individual. Or situation. Or anything that happens to annoy you at that moment. It's a slur because people use it like one, and it is unreasonable because it is offensive, incorrect, and usually way off target.
Although I can see why when shit like this VVV is around.
thefreedictionary wrote:retard - a person of subnormal intelligence
changeling, cretin, half-wit, idiot, imbecile, moron
mongoloid - a person suffering from Down syndrome (no longer used technically in this sense)
simpleton, simple - a person lacking intelligence or common sense
Ugh.

Also, if exercise hurts you that bad, ur doin it wrong, and that piece of fat on the steak is what gives it flavour and doesn't weigh fuck all. And "people who let their emotions interfere with their interactions with others"? You'll grow up one day, and look back at this list and laugh, but until then, I'd lighten up and start enjoying some shit mate. and don't use slurs. Individual displaying atypical cognitive development is your friend.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Diadem » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:atypically developing person

I have to say though that that is the most insulting synonym for someone with mental retardation that I have ever heard anyone use.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

Then you need to get out more. There's some reeeal nasty ones out there.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
viscusanima
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:39 am UTC
Location: Cyprus!

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby viscusanima » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
pollywog wrote:atypically developing person

I have to say though that that is the most insulting synonym for someone with mental retardation that I have ever heard anyone use.


How would you describe someone with this condition without being insulting, in your opinion?

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
pollywog wrote:atypically developing person

I have to say though that that is the most insulting synonym for someone with mental retardation that I have ever heard anyone use.

Uh, what? No it's not. It's a little vague, but it's hardly insulting.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

viscusanima wrote:
Diadem wrote:
pollywog wrote:atypically developing person

I have to say though that that is the most insulting synonym for someone with mental retardation that I have ever heard anyone use.


How would you describe someone with this condition without being insulting, in your opinion?


Mildest I've heard is "special children".

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

I like using their names.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Kewangji wrote:Since when are Jedi sci-fi?

(Unless you're talking about expanded universe, I guess)

Spoiler:
Image

Fucking laser swords and guns and space ships and aliens

Magic, ergo fantasy. No focus on the technology, simply magic. No focus on the way the aliens work compared to humans. Ergo, fantasy.

I'm wearing a huge elitist hat now, aren't I?

Oregonaut wrote:I like using their names.

This made me smile. :)
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby rrwoods » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:I like using their names.

I appreciate the sentiment, but occasionally there is actually a conversation about a particular set of people and it helps to be able to refer to that set of people.

Not saying I disagree though!
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:Magic, ergo fantasy. No focus on the technology, simply magic. No focus on the way the aliens work compared to humans. Ergo, fantasy.

Any definition of science fiction that doesn't include Star Wars is fundamentally flawed.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Any definition of science fiction that doesn't include Star Wars is fundamentally flawed.

How do you define sci-fi?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby felltir » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Any definition of science fiction that doesn't include Star Wars is fundamentally flawed.

How do you define sci-fi?

Sci-fi minus anything with psychic powers. Duh.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Whelan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

I tend to lump sci-fi/fantasy together as one. I like both, and there's so much overlap it's almost useless trying to separate them.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:I tend to lump sci-fi/fantasy together as one. I like both, and there's so much overlap it's almost useless trying to separate them.

Speculative fiction!

Though, that includes horror too, I believe. And maybe all the -punks?
Felltir wrote:Sci-fi minus anything with psychic powers. Duh.
Good point.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Kewangji wrote:Magic, ergo fantasy. No focus on the technology, simply magic. No focus on the way the aliens work compared to humans. Ergo, fantasy.

Any definition of science fiction that doesn't include Star Wars is fundamentally flawed.

Any definition of science fiction that doesn't recognize it's nearly identical to fantasy underpinnings is fundamentally flawed.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

Rant:

Science fiction is fiction that uses speculative science and technology to justify the suspension of disbelief.

Fantasy is fiction that simply states that something is super-natural to justify the suspension of disbelief.

(not actually a rant)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Rant:

Science fiction is fiction that uses speculative science and technology to justify the suspension of disbelief.

Fantasy is fiction that simply states that something is super-natural to justify the suspension of disbelief.

(not actually a rant)


So Star Wars is clearly Fantasy then!
Sorted.
:P
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Rant:

Science fiction is fiction that uses speculative science and technology to justify the suspension of disbelief.

Fantasy is fiction that simply states that something is super-natural to justify the suspension of disbelief.

(not actually a rant)

Swing and a miss!
Science fiction uses speculative science and technology (sometimes, sometimes it's just magic) to explore the changing human condition.
Fantasy uses magic and technology (sometimes, sometimes it's just historical fiction) to explore the changing human condition.

They're the same thing with different coats of paint.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:So Star Wars is clearly Fantasy then!
Sorted.
:P
You're wrong and I hate you.
Izawwlgood wrote:Swing and a miss!
Science fiction uses speculative science and technology (sometimes, sometimes it's just magic) to explore the changing human condition.
Fantasy uses magic and technology (sometimes, sometimes it's just historical fiction) to explore the changing human condition.

They're the same thing with different coats of paint.
You're also wrong and I also hate you.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:So Star Wars is clearly Fantasy then!
Sorted.
:P
You're wrong and I hate you.

So... the Force is technology?
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Angua » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

Why must it be soooooooooo hot. My laptop is hot, the sun is hot, the air is hot, the cat is hot, I'm hot - everything is hot, hot, hot.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

I for one welcome the ansible/fatline/palintir/seershards, the warp drive/probability drive/Navigators/Astral Stepping/Summoning Circles, and bhee rifles/laser pistols/Fire Bolts as literary devices I wish I had in real life.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:So Star Wars is clearly Fantasy then!
Sorted.
:P
You're wrong and I hate you.

So... the Force is technology?

Since when was the force the only thing in Star Wars?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:So... the Force is technology?
One answer to that is... midiclorians. Yes, I know, not in the orthodox films.
Well then, none of the other fantastic things in the first three films happen due to magic. Suspension of disbelief happens for spaceships, blaster-rifles and robots, to name a few, and not by magic. You have to take a film as a whole to see it as one or the other.

I'm willing to see it as a hybrid of SF and F, or as 'space fantasy' or whatever. But asked to choose, I would peg it as Science Fiction, for its aesthetics and other SF elements within it apart from the Force.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I'm willing to see it as a hybrid of SF and F, or as 'space fantasy' or whatever. But asked to choose, I would peg it as Science Fiction, for its aesthetics and other SF elements within it apart from the Force.

Space Fantasy is I think what I would go with.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Since when was the force the only thing in Star Wars?

Since I was intentionally being difficult rather than making an actual point.

This is why bookshops put Science Fiction and Fantasy together.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

Lightening Bolt! Lightening Bolt! Lightening Bolt!

Totally sci-fi.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

It's Sci-fi with one fantasy element*. It's not like everything has to be classified into one hard catagories.


*It's worth noting that most people outside of xkcdLand, pretty much view the real world as science + one fantasy element, so keep that in mind when categorizing Star Wars
Last edited by Dark567 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

ITT: nerds
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

Your post is misleading in its incomplete-ness.

ITF: nerds
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Whelan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

You're all massive pendants.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 am UTC
Location: The Purple Valley, Mass

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Chuff » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:You're all massive pendants.
This has got to be intentional, right?
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

Chuff wrote:
Whelan wrote:You're all massive pendants.
This has got to be intentional, right?


Maybe he means they have balls?

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Xeio » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:THINGS THAT BOTHER ME:

Self-righteous teenagers who think they know everything, giving us teenagers who at least try (but often fail) to show humility a bad name.
Agreed.

*snip*

Pretty much all of these things make you seem like a self-righteous teenager who thinks they know everything, giving those teenagers who at least try (but often fail) to show humility a bad name. Funny how that works.
Haha, I didn't even notice that. Though I stopped once I hit "microsoft" since by that point it was less rant and more angst.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests