Photography thread.

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Prelates, Moderators General

Photography thread.

Postby Oregonaut » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:48 am UTC

So, I took a few more pictures, and I'm kind of proud of them. Please to be posting pictures you are proud of as well. Also, no asshattery. Not all of our pictures will win the next prize of the year, so let's keep it friendly. Comment, critique, cliche, but the first cheeto gets reported.

Spoiler:
Day two 019.JPG
Pansies, the lot of you.

Spoiler:
Day two 028.JPG
Laser Series, cyclamen.

Spoiler:
Day two 031.JPG
Laser Series, cyclamen 2.

Spoiler:
Day two 036.JPG
Tulips and Daffodil
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!
Oregonaut

Re: Photography thread.

Postby jawdisorder » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:58 am UTC

This is most likely the favorite picture of mine that I took. I don't generally have a camera so I don't really have that many pictures.
Attachments
DSCN6149.JPG
jawdisorder

Postby Oregonaut » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 am UTC

That's pretty neat, were you in motion?

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby jawdisorder » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:05 am UTC

Yeah. My friends and I decided to spend a day taking pictures while riding our bikes.
jawdisorder

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:27 am UTC

Ahhh I have wayyy too many to post...here goes though, just check out my flickr for more.

Zarq wrote:Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Oregonaut » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:30 am UTC

I love that waterfall picture, it's...misty, but still waterfall....and hard to describe.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:33 am UTC

Second one? Yeah. I love it because it's like what you actually see in a cave as you move through it. It's so...realistic. I love photography that just lights up whole huge rooms, like huge photography projects in this cave that they say it's like standing on top of a mountain inside a cave...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYZH3PS-fA seriously, watch it with sound on, the music totally adds. But...I often find when looking through photos I see more in the photo than I saw in cave due to lighting. The darkened edges, the mistyness or particles in the air...it's *real*.
Zarq wrote:Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?
Sungura

Postby Oregonaut » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:50 am UTC

That'd probably be vertigo inducing to a lot of people. I WANNA GO THERE!

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:40 am UTC

That one in particular is in Mendip in the UK.

If you are interested in caving though, check out http://www.nssio.org/Find_Grotto.cfm
=)
Sungura

Postby Korrente » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:13 am UTC

Here's a sample of what I like to take.

Spoiler:
IMG_1323.JPG
One of my school's DA-40's after a rough Tennessee snow storm.

IMG_1953.JPG
My first solo IFR flight, apparently I had an angel with me 'cause I don't usually carry around the halo.

IMG_2391e.jpg
View over a friend's fence, minor color correction.

IMG_0381.JPG
My old house at night with snow.

IMG_0468.JPG
View of a friend's house from down the tracks.

IMG_2006.JPG
Flew into CVG one day and drove around with some friends. This is coming down the hill into good ol' Cincy.

IMG_2368e.jpg
The airport sign at home, minor color correction.

IMG_2029.JPG
My prop made this one blurry, but I wanted to share since not many people get this view often. One runway at CVG has an entrance/exit on both sides and the tower told us to taxi up. We had to wait for this guy to get out of our way because he was 'time sensitive' and could do 200 knots faster than us or something dumb like that :P

Sorry, got a little carried away. I got a Canon Rebel XS for Christmas and I've been going crazy with it. I dunno if I'm much good or not but it's a lot of fun. Especially in the air.

On a side note, I've been looking for some filters to take some longer exposures during the day. And as a way to get richer colors out of the normal shots. See, I have this pair of prescription sunglasses that have a tint that makes the world look quite awesome...I wish I could have the optometrist make me a larger lens but I dunno if he could or not. Anyway, what do you guys recommend? What kinds of filters and what brands. I'm kind of low-budget but if it'll last a while I'll spend for it.

Edit for spoilers.
Last edited by Korrente on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:17 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Korrente

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:32 am UTC

Korrente wrote:Sorry, got a little carried away. I got a Canon Rebel XS for Christmas and I've been going crazy with it. I dunno if I'm much good or not but it's a lot of fun. Especially in the air.

On a side note, I've been looking for some filters to take some longer exposures during the day. And as a way to get richer colors out of the normal shots. See, I have this pair of prescription sunglasses that have a tint that makes the world look quite awesome...I wish I could have the optometrist make me a larger lens but I dunno if he could or not. Anyway, what do you guys recommend? What kinds of filters and what brands. I'm kind of low-budget but if it'll last a while I'll spend for it.
Depending on how long an exposure you're looking for, you could try either a polarizing filter (which might let you double or so your exposure time, and can do fun things with skies and reflections), or an ND filter (which just makes things darker, and come in varying strengths). For brands, I'd suggest Hoya or B+W. Given that filters will last forever if you don't break them, and sticking a coke-bottle-grade filter in front of a great lens is a bad idea, spending a bit more for good quality is certainly worth it.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.
PhoenixEnigma

Postby clumsy_culhane » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Oo photography thread ! :D I've been doing photography for about 3 years now (started when I was 15). I started using the family's digicam, but then bought my Canon 40D about two years ago and since then have used a bunch of other gear that I've hired or borrowed. I haven't taken anything for about 6 months though due to school/uni, I need to get back into it :S I tried to chose 3 very different pics to post here:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Growth by clumsyculhane, on Flickr
Spoiler:
My Eye 2 by clumsyculhane, on Flickr

@Korrent I like the fourth one, the framing is good :)
clumsy_culhane

Postby Anubis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Yay! A photography thread! Those cave pictures are pretty awesome.

I started out with an old Minolta SRT 101 when I was about 12, and saved up enough for a Nikon D70 by the time I was 15, which is what I still use (I'm 21) since I'd rather put my limited funds toward lenses and equipment than a new body. I mostly do nature photography.

Waterfall in Western NC, USA
Spoiler:

Peak in Superstition Wilderness, AZ, USA
Spoiler:

Aspens near Flagstaff, AZ, USA
Spoiler:

Antelope Canyon near Page, AZ, USA
Spoiler:

Another in Antelope Canyon
Spoiler:

Ice on a frozen stream in Western NC, USA
Spoiler:

Linville Gorge, NC, USA
Spoiler:

Well, I guess that's all for now. My favorites are the waterfall and the slot canyon ones.

EDIT: As a mildly interesting aside, the Minolta was used by a war photographer in Vietnam before I got my hands on it. When he got back from the war he was so disturbed by what he saw he quit photography entirely and sold all of his equipment to my uncle for $50, who then eventually gave it to me.
Anubis

Postby Oregonaut » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:23 am UTC

There are some really awesome pictures in here, I hope I can get some shots that are just as good.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby existentialpanda » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:25 am UTC

I'm something of an obsessive about taking pictures; my friends will tell you, I never go anywhere without my camera. (In fact, this will probably allow me to live on campus next year, as it got me elected Historian for my house :D) I'm not that good of a photographer by any means, but occasionally something turns out good.

Anyways. This is myself looking over a bridge, taken on a band trip to London.
DSCN0230.JPG

This is on the same trip, looking down from the London Eye.
DSCN0327.JPG

This is a random flower in some park in Madrid. I wish I knew what type it was.
DSCN0712.JPG

This is a sunset on a beach in Hawaii, taken during spring break last year.
DSCN1288.JPG

This is the same sunset.
DSCN1290.JPG

This was taken on a tour of the college I now go to.
DSCN1409.JPG

And this was taken about a month ago during an impromptu party we held after the basketball team won a game. It's also currently my desktop, though that will probably change soon....
IMG_0789.JPG

Also, Anubis, that waterfall looks awesome.
existentialpanda

Postby Korrente » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:13 am UTC

Anubis can you give some info on that waterfall? I know it's a longer exposure but what did you do to set it up? How'd you get the colors to come out like that?
Korrente

Postby tes » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

existentialpanda wrote:This is myself looking over a bridge, taken on a band trip to London.

At first glance, I thought of your head as a tree in front of a weird but beautiful night sky. Was that your purpose?

Three photos by me:
Spoiler:
DSC00588.jpg
I often switch off autofocus and take blurry photographs, but they almost never look as good afterward as they did on the camera preview. This one is an exception.

DSC00765.jpg

DSC00944.jpg
Flashlight + long exposure + fiddling around in Photoshop. I made quite a lot of these.

I take the pictures that I like mostly by accident, but I hope I'm going to improve a bit in the next few months, as I'm going to have a lot more time for photography.
tes

Postby AJR » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Ohh, some really nice pictures in this thread.

Here's some of mine:
Spoiler:
Sunset 2 by ARendle, on Flickr

Bonfire 1 by ARendle, on Flickr

Secret garden gate open by ARendle, on Flickr

I have sometimes had a go at the Flickr monthly scavenger hunt as a way of making myself look out for interesting things to take photos of, although I never got very many and haven't entered in a while
AJR

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Some cool photos!

Hey just so ya'all know, if you want ideas/inspiration for different kinds of photos, and you are on facebook, join the "Photo Fun Group" and then you'll get invited to all the 7-day projects. You'll see me and a few other forum members a part of it. It's been going on over a year now, every week is a new theme, you take a new photo every DAY. It makes you get the camera out and play around! Has people who use p&s all the way up to professional make-a-living-at-this photographers so it's a great mix and a friendly helpful group! I really need to update my flickr and make a huge 7-day photo group on it for all the stuff I've gotten.

Just to give an examples of some of our cool themes...

Spoiler:
Sandman week:
Day 1 - Dream by Sunguramy, on Flickr
Double exposure, one of me in bed with twisting the camera while shooting to give the whirl effect.

Day 6 - Death by Sunguramy, on Flickr
old Michigan Central Depot

Hitchcock Week:
Day 5 - Psycho 1 by Sunguramy, on Flickr
Erm...back when I used a menstrual cup...what can I say, menarche was helpful for once :P

Senses week:
Day 2 - Smell by Sunguramy, on Flickr
This tree smells fresh and bright like spring =)

Day 7 - Motion by Sunguramy, on Flickr
Twirled in my red skirt by a blooming yellow forsythia bush
Sungura

Postby Jacque » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

To art and links with you!
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Oregonaut » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

Wheeee!!!!! Fun ride!

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Quick question: has anyone here had canvas prints made? I've got a couple photos I'm thinking of getting printed on canvas, but the sizes I'd like would mean printing at a little lower resolution than I'd normally like. I've heard that it's less of an issue with canvas because the texture obscures fine detail a bit anyways. Is this true, and if so, to what degree?

Also, in keeping with the topic, a photo!
Spoiler:
218451_10150540729840436_680645435_18117594_3201515_o.jpg
My city!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.
PhoenixEnigma

Postby Sungura » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:18 am UTC

My friend got one of her cave photos printed up on a canvas print for $30 (There was a sale going on with some internet company or something) and it is AWESOME.

So...I'd say...go for it!

And yeah, texture is gonna hide if the res is a little low for the size you want. Also have to remember, big print on a wall, you aren't going to be looking at it closeup either. I have some really neat old icestorm photos that why I resized them smaller and dont' have the originals (this is from when I first got a digital camera) is beyond me, but printing 8 x 10 even thought it means that's like at 120dpi or something it didn't really make a ton of difference unless you were really looking close up to it.
Sungura

Postby Anubis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:51 am UTC

Korrente wrote:Anubis can you give some info on that waterfall? I know it's a longer exposure but what did you do to set it up? How'd you get the colors to come out like that?

Unfortunately I don't really remember the details. From the metadata I can tell you that it was a six second exposure at f19 and ISO 200, and obviously I had it on a tripod, but other that I don't know.
Anubis

Postby Jacque » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Anubis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Jacque, do you shoot medium format?
Anubis

Postby Stellazira » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:30 am UTC

Nice pictures! :D

I like the one with the star trails - does anyone do any astrophotography?
Stellazira

Postby GuitarFreak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:35 am UTC

Here's one I snapped a while ago of a ladybug

And one of my lens
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.
GuitarFreak

Postby Sungura » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:22 am UTC

Stellazira wrote:Nice pictures! :D

I've made a few attempts.
Taken from my deck at my apartment...lots of light polution. But it ended up looking cool.

Taken up north, middle of nowhere. I have no clue what the heck squigglything is.
Sungura

Postby Jacque » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

Anubis wrote:Jacque, do you shoot medium format?

Sometimes. Mostly I use my Hasselblad when I'm taking photos, but other times when I don't want to carry that beast around I'll shoot on my Canon AE-1. Either way I mainly use film.

I do use digital cameras but for documenting or for when I need a quick turnaround.
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

Squiggly thing is most likely an airplane, or sat in LEO. Motion is wrong to be much else. Looks neat though!

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Oregonaut, I really like the first one. The blurring of the grass in the foreground was good. Nice bokeh.

closeup by Lazaefayre, on Flickr
It's all intense and stuff by Lazaefayre, on Flickr
beads by Lazaefayre, on Flickr
Meiling January 2010 by Lazaefayre, on Flickr

More photos:
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby GuitarFreak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:33 am UTC

Stellazira wrote:Nice pictures! :D

I do a bit. Here's a couple
Spoiler:
Cassiopeia:

Spoiler:
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.
GuitarFreak

Postby Anubis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:10 am UTC

Here's a few more of mine:

Wild Tiger Lily (I think?) after a rain shower, Western NC
Spoiler:

Butterfly Weed, Western NC
Spoiler:

Rain or dew on a blade of grass, Western NC
Spoiler:

Sunset, Western NC
Spoiler:

Frozen duck tracks, Western NC
Spoiler:

Petrified wood, AZ
Spoiler:

Grand Canyon at night, AZ
Spoiler:

Grand Canyon, AZ
Spoiler:

Fawn, AZ
Spoiler:

Another waterfall, Western NC
Spoiler:

Yet another waterfall, Western NC
Spoiler:

Another waterfall, Western NC
Spoiler:

Again the waterfalls are my favorites.
Anubis

Postby Jacque » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

On the subject of...

Stars:

And Waterfalls:

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

So what are people's preferred subjects to photograph? What draws you to that subject? If you had to select a single photo out of your collection to display in a museum retrospective on that subject, which would you choose?

I like to photograph people - not so much portraits, more like capturing them in candid moments in places where they can be found. I'm not very good at it, but they add a variety to my photos which are somewhat lacking when I try landscapes or still lifes. I'm not that great at composition or lighting so I choose to turn my lens on people. They can be surprising variables. Anyway, since I was trained as a journalist, that usually tends to be my mindset when I'm shooting - the documenting mode. How can I accurately convey this event or place? That kind of thing.

Edit: I forgot to add, Anubis, your Antelope Canyon shots are amazing. How'd you get that kind of illumination? Was it natural?
Last edited by podbaydoor on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

I can't photograph people. I've been looking at flowers, bright vibrant colors, things that draw my eye normally. Taking the advice on the boards to try and find new angles, new perspectives to give on things we see every day. Now all I need to do is get the battery charged on my camera in time for a trip to go pic some sures.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:So what are people's preferred subjects to photograph? What draws you to that subject? If you had to select a single photo out of your collection to display in a museum retrospective on that subject, which would you choose?

I have a thing with cemeteries. Especially old ones (Pere Lachaise in Paris, to name one). But if I had to pick, I'd love to see this photo in a museum:
Spoiler:
I took it last year at the US War Cemetery near Luxembourg City (General Patton is also buried there).
A Comrade In Arms by hans905, on Flickr

Not that I consider my photography to be museum-worthy :oops:

Some other photos that I'm quite proud of:
Spoiler:
Elliott Murphy by hans905, on Flickr
I'd like to get better at concert photography. Very happy with this shot though.

Redhead Day by hans905, on Flickr
This is my most popular (i.e. most views on flickr) photo, I wonder why... (International Redhead Day is an annual event in a nearby town, draws hundreds, if not thousands, of redheads from all over the world)

Waiting for the ferry by hans905, on Flickr
Had to wait for the ferry, this guy decided to get some fishing done during the wait.

Rhyolite by hans905, on Flickr
Ghost town, derelict building.

BoHo Scarecrow by hans905, on Flickr
I usually don't do portraits, but this snapshot came out very well.

There's actually a flickr group for xkcdians: http://www.flickr.com/groups/xkcdia/
Quack!
EvilDuckie

Postby sneha123 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:16 am UTC

Nice collection !!!!!!!!! that is beautiful pictures...thanks lot for share with all....it pretty thought....then i like it...thanks for share with us,,,,,

regards........
sneha
sneha123

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

Alot of amazing photos here! I have some to share too, but I don't think it would be possible...
EvilDuckie wrote:I have a thing with cemeteries. Especially old ones (Pere Lachaise in Paris, to name one). But if I had to pick, I'd love to see this photo in a museum:
Spoiler:
I took it last year at the US War Cemetery near Luxembourg City (General Patton is also buried there).
A Comrade In Arms by hans905, on Flickr

Not that I consider my photography to be museum-worthy :oops:

I know some cemeteries are really orderly about there tombstones, but that creepily looks like a 3D rendering.
tastelikecoke

Next

Return to Your art and links