2011 in Music.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

2011 in Music.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 am UTC

Let's not wait until December to make this thread, but instead declare our cards early! What's being released this year so far that's awesome, and how is it going to fare after we've heard it one million times? Considering we've had releases from the Strokes, Radiohead and PJ Harvey this year already, there should be something worth talking about.

Feelings? Thoughts? Opinions?

For my part, I'm liking Amanda Palmer's latest album. Although it's mostly live I feel this is where she is strongest, and she uses it as a vehicle to highlight other sublime artists including Tom Dickens and Michelangelo (tracks "Formidable Marinade" and "Bad Wine and Lemon Cake" are something else, I assure you). I'm eager to see, though, who will capture me as Gorillaz did last year and Florence and the Machine did the year before.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Re: 2011 in Music.

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:49 am UTC

So far this year I've really liked PJ Harvey, and there have been strong releases from The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Lykke Li and The Decemberists. Radiohead was very good in places but felt a little slight, and I'm not convinced by The Strokes' new one yet. But then the next two months has a lot in store like Low, TV on the Radio and Okkervil River, so by the summer I might have a very different perspective on things.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby Retne » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Latest musical release I've been digging is DJ Eco's the light in your eyes went out. Both the original mix and the Lemon & Einar K remix is pretty sweet. That's pretty much the only thing released this side of the new year I've been bumping a lot.

I'm looking forward to the Flogging Molly album as well. I'm expecting it to be pretty good as they haven't really released a bad album. I'm sure further into the year Breakfast will release a new single and I will add that to my trance mixes too so I look forward to that as well(crosses fingers for no vocal collabs).
Retne

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 am UTC

So far for me, I'm enjoying Pj Harvey as well, but also the new Blackfield album that came out a couple of days ago. Haarp's debut album came as a new years present for me with it's early release. But so far away the best album I've heard is the new Ulver album, War of the Roses, which leaked a week ago while it's release date is the 25th of April. Either way, it's insane and so far my favourite.

But, there are two albums coming out this year, and I've never been more excited about new music than I am about these records. I'm talking about the third and fourth album in Devin Townsend's quadrupple concept album-streak-thingy, Ghost and Deconstruction. I love Devin and I'm pretty sure this will be the best thing I've ever heard.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Midnight » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Haven't listened to PJ Harvey
Liked Radiohead, Pains of Being Pure at Heart, and Helplessness Blues--I REALLY liked TVotR's Nine Types of Light.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

I like the new one by R.E.M. , 'Collapse into now', not their best work, but still above average (comparable with Murmur, for the R.E.M. fans on the forum)

Up till now the only album from 2011 I have...
Whizzkid1024

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

PJ Harvey's new album is indeed both really interesting and enjoyable to just listen to.

Kaizers Orchestra Violeta Violeta I is from a Norwegian band and is probably the best thing I've heard this year. Very rousing, even though I don't understand the lyrics (being as they are in Norwegian).

The Naked and Famous Passive M, Aggressive You is very fun, 'Girls Like You' is a pop-rock masterpiece, even if the ideas are a little tread.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

As much as I didn't like 2007 - 2009, I do have my hopes up for 2011. I like the new R.E.M. album, and PJ Harvey is pretty cool as well. Also, I'm looking forward to the colab between Hans Zimmer and Rodrigo y Gabriela.

I'm a little worried about the increase of Dub Step fans though, and how close some part artists are getting to the dubstep line. Not that I don't like step, but I don't want it everywhere.
"When all else fails, accept the extraordinary."

Spoiler:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR, DOBBY DIES, TONKS DIES, LUPIN DIES, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, TYLER ISN'T REAL, PLANET OF THE APES WAS REALLY EARTH, JAKE BECOMES ONE OF THEM, BENJAMIN DIES.
Ithinkabouttrees

Postby Midnight » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

DAT NEW BATTLES ALBUM

it's verrrrry good.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby TA67 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

If you're into progressive metal, this is one of the best years ever...

New The Human Abstract, new Protest the hero, new Scale the Summit, new Born of Osiris, new Between the buried and me EP, supposedly a new Animals as Leaders album coming out in the summer...I love 2011.
TA67

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Ya ya ya all those tech / proggy / core bands brought out new releases. But if you like prog metal, you should be exploding from anticipation because of the not one, but two, Devin Townsend albums coming out this year.

*explodes*
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby zmatt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Don't forget now that Portnoy is out of dream theater they are probably going to have a big change in sound simply because he wrote a good chunk of their music.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.
zmatt

Postby Dirk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

Avishai Cohen's new album is awesome
Dirk

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:The Decemberists.
I really like the single, is the rest up to the standard? The single is... Carry it with you, I think.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:The Decemberists.
I really like the single, is the rest up to the standard? The single is... Carry it with you, I think.

If you like that, chances are you will like the album. It's a nicely crisp affair.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby Smiling Hobo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Tomboy by Panda Bear, Kaputt by Destroyer, and James Blake's self-titled album are at the top of my 2011 list so far...in that order.
Eat a kitten, save a cow!
Smiling Hobo

Postby Midnight » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Ya ya ya all those tech / proggy / core bands brought out new releases. But if you like prog metal, you should be exploding from anticipation because of the not one, but two, Devin Townsend albums coming out this year.

*explodes*

I believe you mean "Opeth is releasing a new album this year"
I want it to be so amazing, but at the very least it'll be pretty good.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby zmatt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:19 am UTC

wait, Opeth is prog?
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.
zmatt

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Labels are for genre nazis.

Looking forward to the new Opeth as well, but I'm just such a huge Devin fanboy and ohgodtwoalbums!

Apparently, the fourth Franz Ferdinand album is also coming out somewhere in 2011, but it is yet to be announced or named. I love Franz so I'm looking forward to it. :D
Spoiler:

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Dirk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Hmm I thought the previous Franz Ferdinand was very disappointing! But yeah it's worth checking out.

Am looking forward to the new Arctic Monkeys album this year, oh yes oh yes :D Took a long time for me to get into, less accessible, Humbug (their previous album) but I'm so glad I did
Dirk

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

I liked Humbug as well. I thnk it's funny that in terms of progression Franz Ferdinand and the Arctic Monkeys are so much alike, both started out with more raw, fast material, the second album got more polished and slowed down a bit resulting into a great album, then they both discovered synths and started fiddling around with those on the 3rd album.

I liked Tonight, but less than the other two albums to be honest. :P Didn't even know the Arctic Monkeys had a new one coming up, so thanks for the information, I'll keep an eye out for the release :D
Spoiler:

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

The new Arctic Monkeys album is out in early June, one or two songs have been doing the rounds.

charliepanayi

Postby Midnight » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:36 am UTC

zmatt wrote:wait, Opeth is prog?

How is Opeth not prog? They've got ten minute songs with jazzy keyboard solos. Flutes go into... other ten minute songs that are super heavy!
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby evilspoons » Mon May 09, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

Looking forward to the new Death Cab for Cutie release at the end of the month.

Already pretty impressed by the new Beastie Boys album. Not sure if it's as lyrically creative as their other stuff, but it sounds damn good cranked up in my car. (I love nerdy white person rap.)
evilspoons

Postby Malus Rune » Mon May 09, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:S
But, there are two albums coming out this year, and I've never been more excited about new music than I am about these records. I'm talking about the third and fourth album in Devin Townsend's quadrupple concept album-streak-thingy, Ghost and Deconstruction. I love Devin and I'm pretty sure this will be the best thing I've ever heard.

Oh yeah, I'm stoked for Deconstruction. I'm interested in Ghost, but I'm not usually a huge fan of ambient so it falls a bit behind.

So far, the only bands I like that have produced new albums are Radiohead, Amon Amarth and DevilDriver. None of them quite matched up to the efforts each band had made before for me, but Amon Amarth has been my favourite so far- out of the bands they were the one that felt like they were building on what they'd done last album most, rather than regressing (DevilDriver) or heading off in a new direction altogether (Radiohead).

That said, with the exception of Radiohead, none of my absolute favourites have put new albums out yet. Diablo Swing Orchestra and Opeth have made promises, and Giant Squid have announced "Cenotes" coming out in October, which are probably the releases I'm most excited for. And I guess I'm moderately excited for In Flames's "Sounds of a Playground Fading," but while what I've heard of the album has sounded alright, I'm, at the end of the day, an Oldschool In Flames fan and I'm well aware that the golden days are gone.
Malus Rune

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu May 12, 2011 7:40 am UTC

I just started listening to Maybeshewill's new album which is pretty good. I should probably get The King of Limbs sometime too. So far nothing else seems to have jumped out and I'm not a huge fan of the new Within Temptation album, didn't really like the style.

I'm definitely looking forward to whatever Opeth come up with, as well as Sleepmakeswaves who are apparently going to release a full album :)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Adacore » Thu May 12, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:Don't forget now that Portnoy is out of dream theater they are probably going to have a big change in sound simply because he wrote a good chunk of their music.

I was under the impression the (vast?) majority of their writing was Petrucci, but Portnoy certainly did some, true.

I'm ashamed to say the only new music I can remember really listening to this year is Esben and the Witch (I think I flicked through all the BBC Sound of 2011 finalists, and was only hooked by them), but there's probably a bit more I'm forgetting. I should do some more exploring though - check out the Strokes new stuff, for one. And I'm also eagerly anticipating the new Arctic Monkeys album.
Adacore

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 12, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

Oh, I completely forgot to mention that the Decemberists' latest album The King is Dead came out in January. I admit I haven't really listened to much of it yet apart from Don't Carry It All, which has been played loads on BBC6. That song, certainly, is great.
bigglesworth

Postby Jesse » Sat May 14, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

John Darnielle has totally done it again with All Eternals Deck. It's not The Sunset Tree, but it's still astounding.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby A.Dent » Sat May 14, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

I actually haven't listened to much new music this year, but listened to Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi's album Rome on youtube and it sounds awesome.
A.Dent

Postby idiohead » Sun May 15, 2011 9:51 am UTC

Since The King of Limbs has been mentioned a lot ill bring up "Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will" by Mogwai, which has one of my favourite album titles ever. And its great album, a nice progression in their sound too. Actually wait, Oh me yarm second half of The King of Limbs is amazing.
idiohead

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun May 15, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

Malus Rune wrote:
Microscopic cog wrote:S

Oh yeah, I'm stoked for Deconstruction. I'm interested in Ghost, but I'm not usually a huge fan of ambient so it falls a bit behind.

Currently listening to Deconstruction ( It leaked last week and yes I downloaded it, but I went to see Devin live, got a signed Ki copy and a shirt so sue me ) and ohgod my face is melting.
Spoiler:

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Malus Rune » Sun May 15, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

...I'm not a stranger to the album myself <.<

I swear on Planet of the Apes, Devin yells "BUT WE ALL RIP OFF... MESHUGGAH!" I think that was when I stopped thinking "This is a good album," and started thinking "This is a great album :D". Although I wish they had made more use of Akerfeldt's vocals, you can barely hear him, and he's such a talented singer/growler.
Malus Rune

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun May 15, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Didn't knew you heard it yet, I was a bit late with my reply, sorry! :P

Hahaha, I already liked it from the start, but at the start of Planet of the Apes I knew for sure it was great. And oh god the solo, it melted my face off. And to be fair, all the musicians featured on the album are amazing, but none of them is really heard on the record, which is a shame.

Also, the Amen at the end of The Mighty Masturbator was just hilarious.
Spoiler:

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Malus Rune » Sun May 15, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

Heh, I only heard it about three hours before you posted :P

Yeah, I love the solos on it- it's got a nice "classic" touch to it. I mean, I'm all for freaky progressive stuff, but it's nice that he's bought out more than just the RAWR RAWR ballad :3 RAWR, into some more tense and restrained moments- the solos compliment that quite well.
Malus Rune

Postby gingermrkettle » Mon May 16, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I think I flicked through all the BBC Sound of 2011 finalists

That had Jessie J coming out on top, which frankly was almost enought to make me seriously consider hibernation until the sound of 2012 came along.
gingermrkettle

Postby Jesse » Mon May 16, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

She just wants to make you dance, why is that so bad?
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed May 18, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
zmatt wrote:I'm ashamed to say the only new music I can remember really listening to this year is Esben and the Witch.

That is an awesome album. Something about it reminds me of the Ours album "Sour."
Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby cameron432 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

So far this year, Silverstein's new album "Rescue" is in my top 5 ever, and D.R.U.G.S.'s self-titled is really good.

Enter Shikari and Of Mice & Men both released songs this past week that are AMAZING!! =D
cameron432

Postby Amie » Fri May 20, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

My favourite release this year has been Obscura's Omnivium. I'm looking forward to the new Battles album - Gloss Drop.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Next

Return to Music