Melbourne meet-up?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Melbourne meet-up?

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 am UTC

Ooh, I'll be there!
My hobby: giving unsolicited, ill-informed advice armchair psychology.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.
smw543 wrote:Two words: debate fetish.
GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:55 am UTC

I don't think I explicitly posted but I was in the irc chat with duffman and I'll be there too :)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:30 am UTC

This saturday huh?
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby theduffman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:17 am UTC

I'll bring delicious picnic stuff! Come! :D
"Consequentialism: The belief that doing the right thing makes the world a better place" Please visit felicifia.org, the forum for consequentialists, to meet some smart people with interesting ideas.
theduffman

Postby dragon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:48 am UTC

I will also bring something. I haven't decided on what, yet.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.
dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

I don't really know what to bring. It would be a good excuse to attempt to bake something tomorrow but I'm not sure I'll have time and while it would be edible I can't guarantee any more than that.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

If I do come I'll most likely bring unhealthy snack food so...
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby stooglefish » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

I shall also be attending and supply comestibles. The nature of which has yet to be determined (by which i mean probs chips)
stooglefish

Postby Melchiresa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 am UTC

Sounds fun. I'll try to be there.
Melchiresa

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:07 am UTC

Is anyone bringing plastic/foam cups? I just got back from the shop and realised that drinks are useless without cups...

I was thinking of actually bringing some pinicky food (like sandwiches or something) but I'm lazy so I just got a bunch of junk food... additionally I have no idea about what is kosher and what is not, so... I just hope no one has to miss out. I also have no idea how many people are going to be there so hopefully, alltogether, there is enough for everyone.

I picked up:
Corn Chips + Salsa
Some lollies
Pita bread stuff + dips
Some softdrink
Sandwich Bread

I was thinking if there was a fish and chip shop closeby we could just order a ton of chips when we get there and have it with bread. Does anyone know of one? Someone might have to bring sauce or something... :o

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby theduffman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Ok, I'm going to bring:
bagels, rolls & bread
plastic cups
cheese, lettuce & misc salad stuff
Stand Back, I'm going to try Science, so you can recognise me!
anything else I think of

I'll bring an ancient picnic mat. If anyone else has a picnic mat, it's almsot certainly better than mine, so please bring it!

The weather forecast has 'isolated morning showers', with a max of 21, which is decent. Look forward to seeing you there!
"Consequentialism: The belief that doing the right thing makes the world a better place" Please visit felicifia.org, the forum for consequentialists, to meet some smart people with interesting ideas.
theduffman

Postby dragon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:06 am UTC

The universe does not want me to bring baked goods to the picnic. I have acquiesced to its demands.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.
dragon

Postby HenryS » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:45 am UTC

End of the day myspace photo!
ToeOfDoom, Gelsamel, dragon, theduffman
dinosplosion, fantasyprone, __jess, HenryS

(I didn't remember everyone's name, someone tell me how to fill in the blanks.) (Edit: Thanks!)
Last edited by HenryS on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:09 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
HenryS

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:28 am UTC

HenryS wrote:(I didn't remember everyone's name, someone tell me how to fill in the blanks.)

ToeOfDoom, Gelsamel, dragon, theduffman
Dinoexplosion(?) or Dinosplosion, Fantasyprone(?), Jess, HenryS

Unsure on spellings/capitalisations :o.

Now who's good with photoshop?

Edit: About the grandfather paradox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVsXbWQXp0 So yeah...

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby dragon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:53 am UTC

It's dinosplosion on irc. I don't know what fantasyprone's spellings and capitalisations are though, as she doesn't appear to be online.

My skin is hot-feeling. I think I got sunburnt. Maan. ... It was worth it.
Context? What context?
dragon

Postby HenryS » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:04 am UTC

Yeah, that game is looking at bit like EVE Online: I want to hear about or watch really good players, but I'm not sure I'd want to play it myself...

That photo really makes it look like my head is 4 times bigger than Jess'.
HenryS

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:06 am UTC

HenryS wrote:That photo really makes it look like my head is 4 times bigger than Jess'.

It's alright, I look like a corpse.

I just checked my arms, they're bright red.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:29 am UTC

Sunburn D:

It was, as dragon said, worth it. Also I'll put the cookie recipe up for fantasyprone when I get around to it.

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby dragon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 am UTC

Thank you, people, for making it a good day.

Those who hadn't tried the excellent puzzle-game notpron, go here. There's a guide for the first few levels on the main page.
Context? What context?
dragon

Postby __jess » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:18 am UTC

Surely I'm not that small.

D:
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."
__jess
___ and ___

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:19 am UTC

Small is good. Also you should change your location! :P

Are the other photos goin' on the net?

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby __jess » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

Pictures!
Spoiler:
Almost the whole gang:
IMG_6715.jpg
No raptors!
IMG_6720.JPG
In the animal room.
IMG_6729.jpg
Scary exhibit.
IMG_6732.jpg
Dragon in the live forest.
IMG_6743.jpg

If anyone wants larger versions feel free to PM me. I've given up wrestling with GIMP for the night so the compression might be a bit shit.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."
__jess
___ and ___

Postby dragon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

Angry turtle vomit what?

Also, Pangolin!
Context? What context?
dragon

Postby __jess » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

You didn't see that? The fountain was a bit bizarre.
__jess
___ and ___

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

Gah, I shouldn't have left before the museum, it looks wonderful.
My hobby: giving unsolicited, ill-informed advice armchair psychology.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.
smw543 wrote:Two words: debate fetish.
GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby theduffman » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

I was somehow mostly spared sunburn! I've no idea.

Here's a shot of the fountain. You can see a weird spurt of water hitting a child on the chest. You'll have to take our word for the fact that it was emerging from a turtle's mouth.

I ended up seeing a comedian Sanderson Jones in the evening. Long day, but a lot of fun. Thanks for making the meetup awesome! Also, nice photos!
theduffman

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Anyone figure out what that white crap from the grass was? Maybe it was like fertilizer or something.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby HenryS » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:20 am UTC

Have your trousers sprouted?
HenryS

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:39 am UTC

Are you suggesting the grass inseminated my pants?

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby HenryS » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 am UTC

I was suggesting that fertilizer might make trousers reproduce.
HenryS

Postby roband » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

This is way off topic guys, but I need someone in Australia to do me a favour which relates to another forum member. Please PM me if you think you can help. All it involves is a phone call.
Thanks.

edit: situation resolved
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby theduffman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 am UTC

Although I doubt I'd see anyone there at such short notice, I'm going to this Reddit meetup on Thursday night

edit: twas pretty fun. Apparently these things happen around once every month or two. 50 odd people came, and it was pretty cool, although it was a typical pub atmosphere, so can be hard to hear each other etc. You guys were much better ;)
Last edited by theduffman on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
theduffman

Postby HenryS » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

I might make it.
HenryS

Postby Waylah » Tue May 03, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

I was thinking, Whatabouta book club??!
Melbourne meet-ups are fairly rare, (I've never been to one :( ), but a book club could be roughly regular.
so so so
Maybe a Cory Doctorow book club? Or an anything book club?

Anyone else think it might be fun? If so, suggestions for books? Also place and time... But firstly, who would be up for something like that?
Waylah

Postby dragon » Thu May 05, 2011 1:56 am UTC

That is a suggestion with great potential. A book club with a decidedly geeky slant: Very yes! Can we hold it in a coffee-shop? Or similar cosy, informal place with convenient food and drink.

Can't be held on the first tuesday of the month, for those of us who are already in standard book clubs. I suggest the third wednesday, early evening, for personal convenience entirely.

I don't think a forum thread is a good medium for making decisions on the book list though. I would prefer a more considered and private submission of a short list from each participant.
Context? What context?
dragon

Postby __jess » Thu May 05, 2011 7:47 am UTC

I'd be incredibly down for xkcd book club! How do you feel about using facebook to co-ordinate? I find it much easier to keep track of things in a facebook group than when scrolling through forum posts.
__jess
___ and ___

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu May 05, 2011 7:53 am UTC

Sounds good to me, facebook is easy enough. Pretty much any time would be convenient enough for me apart from the first/second tuesday of each month since there's a meetup I go to that seems to switch between them.

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby Waylah » Thu May 05, 2011 10:32 am UTC

Okay, I'm making the facebook group. PM me for details! :)
Waylah

Postby dedalus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Hey guys,

I'll probably be heading down to Melbourne with a friend or two to get away from everything up here and clear my head, at around the end of the month. If anyone wants to come and chill and go cafe-hopping or bar-hopping or anything-hopping, let me know? :D
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.
dedalus

Postby theduffman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:00 am UTC

Depending on whether you're in Melbourne, you might be interested in coming to the Reddit global meetup day on
Saturday, June 25 · 12:00pm - 3:00pm
at Flagstaff Gardens.

If so, I can invite others.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=158222200912871
theduffman

PreviousNext

Return to XKCD Meetups