INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Belial » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

This is the new intro thread.

The old one, now that it is restored, is locked and archived for posterity.

For those who are new here, introduce yourselves. Let us know who you are, what you're into, what you do. We want more than just an a/s/l, though that's a good place to start.

This is partially to give us mods confirmation that you're not a spambot (they're clever, it can be hard to tell), but also just so we users can track back and find out who you are, once we start seeing you around the fora.

So get to posting.

As of 9/25/07, the Intro Thread has gone Global. It will appear at the top of every forum, but I swear it is always the same thread. So there's no excuse to be missing it, and no reason to be asking why there are so many! -lanicita

Don't post links in this thread other than perhaps your favorite comic or some such thing. - TheTankengine

New users are no longer required to post in this thread.
Last edited by Belial on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:27 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

Hi. I'm Greg, and I might be addicted to bacon.

Also, I'm 24 years old and I've been here forever. Or for 6 months, which is basically the same thing on the Internet. I basically just wanted to be the first person to actually "introduce" myself in version 3 of this thread.

If anyone cares, my original intro (version 1.0, bitches) can be found here.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby crazyjimbo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

Hey, I'm James and I haven't been around for a few weeks. In internet time, that means you've probably all forgotten me. I'm 20 now, not the piddly 19 I was when I joined.

Ironically, I joined the forums for the logic puzzles, and I have just recently become interested in them again.
crazyjimbo

Postby Phenriz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Phenriz, who stole this from CrazyJimbo wrote:Hey, I'm James and I haven't been around for a few minutes. In internet time, that means you've probably all grown bored with me. I'm 23 now, not the piddly 22 I was when I joined.

Ironically, I joined the forums for the Serious Business, and I have just recently become interested in them again.

like a glove-a!
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!
Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Okita » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

I posted in the introductory thread a few days before it was deleted.

The thread deletion, of course, was a great misfortunte that no doubt will be remembered as a dark day that the xkcd fora was able to overcome. It definitely did not conveniently result in the deletion of the source of a certain someone's sig that may or may not have involved someone's reptilian nature.

Not that anyone would really believe such nonsense anyway.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all for lunch someday and look forward to even having conversation with a few of you first.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Ren » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:Hey, I'm James and I haven't been around for a few weeks. In internet time, that means you've probably all forgotten me. I'm 20 now, not the piddly 19 I was when I joined.

Ironically, I joined the forums for the logic puzzles, and I have just recently become interested in them again.

CJ! I missed you!
I'm not emo, I'm oboe.

MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"
Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

ok, another round of intro awesomeness:

i am 22, from connecticut, and i never use caps except for shouting. i know meaux in real life (because she's mad cool) and i am currently working on my doctorate of unnecessary talking. you can ask her, i'm a pro.

edit: and just so i don't seem like a total forum junkie, i HAVE been reading the comic on my lj feed for about 6 months or so. it is very enjoyable and i enjoy math humor... or something.
Last edited by scrt_rbt_agnt on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls
scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby TheYag » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

I am James. 24 year old web developer. Someone sent me the comic where the tree was "stumped"... so i was forced to "recompile" all afternoon while going through and reading all of the comics. After being completely awed that there was another person with a style of humor that could so completely mimic mine (or mine his/theirs), i decided that i had to join the community behind the puns.

Also, with a new job, i have found that new companies like to block all of the old forums i used to troll. I have settled in nicely under the bridge here, and will poke my head out from time to time.

--The Yag
TheYag

Postby Gordon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:Hey, I'm James and I haven't been around for a few weeks. In internet time, that means you've probably all forgotten me. I'm 20 now, not the piddly 19 I was when I joined.

I always liked you!

I'm Gordon, I like.. stuff and things! I used to be a lot more involved on the internet, but in the last year the only thing I've really been a part of is this forum. I am not a beautiful and unique snowflake, but if you believe that you are, that's cool with me.

I'm also the coolest of the mods. You can ask any of them, they'll all agree!
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.
Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby SatAnpu » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

Hey all, Sat here. I'm a student in a small town. I write sappy poetry and I can read funerary texts from Egypt's middle kingdom with fair proficiency. I play the oboe, trombone, and I am starting guitar. I fence foil too.

I grew up in a fairly religious home. My dad was a pastor, but the Nazarene church threw him out for having liberal ideas. Luckily for me, he's primarily a Biblical theologists, so I can do all of the abstract thinking without really caring about the organization.

Can't wait for crazy convos. ^^
SatAnpu

Postby Phenriz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Gordon wrote:I'm also the coolest of the mods. You can ask any of them, they'll all agree!

Even saladin?
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!
Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Severus Severance » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

I posted practically right before the old thread died, so here it is again.

My name is Nathan, I've been stalking around the edges of the fora for about a month or more, and then I joined about two days ago. I'm a girl, by the way, and have a tendency to pick disturbingly masculine usernames/nicknames.
Severus Severance

Postby Gifflen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Heya,

My names Bruce, I'm a 21 year old from around the philly area with a love for everything artistic, sarcastic or slightly crude. I'm a linux sys admin for a hosting company and I spend wawy to my time on the interblag.

blog.jacksambition.com <-- My bands blag
Gifflen

Postby LoonRadio » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

Hi, my name is Loon and I'm a... well, a loon.
You know what's worse than raining cats and dogs?
Hailing taxicabs.
LoonRadio

Postby TigerX » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:14 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Matt. I've been here for a few months, but my intro was also deleted in the lastest round of fora mishap.

I'm a 22 year-old non-starter college student currently not attending Clemson University in Clemson, SC. I am an office manager for a non-profit in the area. I enjoy spending time in the General forum and playing the Forum Games. I am currently single.
TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby Belial » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

SatAnpu wrote: I write sappy poetry and I can read funerary texts from Egypt's middle kingdom with fair proficiency.

Self-taught?

Phenriz wrote:
Gordon wrote:I'm also the coolest of the mods. You can ask any of them, they'll all agree!

Even saladin?

Saladin doesn't agree with anyone. It's against his religion.
Belial

Postby SatAnpu » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
SatAnpu wrote: I write sappy poetry and I can read funerary texts from Egypt's middle kingdom with fair proficiency.

Self-taught?

Partially. Most of it was taught by Dr. Herb Hauffman. He's an awesome old guy. He can read so many ancient languages, like http://www.genoandpaula.com/Akkadian/akkadian-cuneiform.gif cuneiform. The crazy flag Akkadian language. That is my next unreachable goal.
SatAnpu

Postby convoybutterfly » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

Hi! I'm sorry my first post didn't exist here...but this thread wasn't around at the right time. ;~; I...I didn't mean to...

I'm Jenny, but my friends call me Nif. I'm young. I live in Ohio, but not necessarily in a cornfield (a common misconception). I'm a wannabe scholar-type. I like to waste my time with things like running cross country and reading books and doing my homework.

I don't really care for the arbitrary confines of logic.

hope to see you all around!
Now with more sodium! Sweet Jesus!
convoybutterfly

Postby Belial » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:23 pm UTC

SatAnpu wrote:
Belial wrote:

Self-taught?

Partially. Most of it was taught by Dr. Herb Hauffman. He's an awesome old guy. He can read so many ancient languages, like http://www.genoandpaula.com/Akkadian/akkadian-cuneiform.gif cuneiform. The crazy flag Akkadian language. That is my next unreachable goal.

Badass. I've been looking into finding resources to teach myself hieroglyphics, since my chances of finding someone like that seem pretty slim.

In other news, I seem to have gotten a quick start on derailing the intro thread. The tradition lives.
Belial

Postby Dalenthas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

Hi, my name is still David, I'm still 21, and I still like various forms of games. Iron Man still kicks ass.
You can't take the sky from me...
Well, I suppose if you put me in a windowless box that'd be like taking the sky...
Dalenthas

Postby SatAnpu » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
SatAnpu wrote:
Belial wrote:

Self-taught?

Badass. I've been looking into finding resources to teach myself hieroglyphics, since my chances of finding someone like that seem pretty slim.

In other news, I seem to have gotten a quick start on derailing the intro thread. The tradition lives.

*assorted applause*

How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs by Mark Collier and Bill Manley. It has a nice coverage of vocabulary and grammar. It's a revised edition, which is rare for any ancient-subject base scholarly text.

A Concise Grammar of Middle Egyptian by Boyo G. Ockinga is pretty intense, but is a full coverage of grammar, where the Collier/Manley book isn't.

I would recommend a third, but it's out of print. :(
SatAnpu

Postby KicktheCAN » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:33 pm UTC

Hi, I joined a few months ago after being banned from another forum I frequented. I first read the comic over a year ago but was not very into webcomics at the time so I did not read it regularly. Regardless now I do and have joined the forum and may or may not be a spam bot. See you all around and hope Belial doesn't attempt to moderate this thread.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here
KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby 4=5 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

hi I'm 4=5, and everyone agrees that my introduction was the highlight of the last thread :lol: so... yeah!

I'm a highschool student, and I have an unrestrainable need to improve anything, which is where science comes in handy
4=5

Postby madjo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

Hi group,
I'm MadJo (all: hi MadJo)
And I'm addicted to XKCD and the forum games here.

Oh and my real name is not Jo, or Joe or something. (My nickname is a concat() of an <abbr> of my real name. :) and it sounded cool at the time.)

I'm in my late twenties. (born 1980)
Have finished a study called "higher informatics". But for the life of me, I can't remember much of the stuff that was covered in the lessons.

Now I work as a software test engineer. Nothing really important, and probably the most hated profession in the world (at least by software engineers and team managers). :) We are the ones who point out flaws in design/code/execution, which are often the cause of delays and crushed egos. :P
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.
madjo

Postby xhuzm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

Hello, I'm (insert name here). Currently, I'm 15 and I live in MA.

I play chess and enjoy robotics. Also, you can find out exactly who I am just by typing my full name in Google Search.
xhuzm

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Hi, I'm ArchangelShrike, and I'm something around 18 or so. And I live in Hawaii, which kinda makes me the only person I know on here from Hawaii. So if you have questions about it, shoot away, but why I'm really posting:

What happened to the interim thread? It was really fun, and I wanted to find out whose dog it was.

Edit: I found the ZOMG thread, but I still want to know whose dog it was...
ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby 22/7 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Hey all. 22/7 here. 22 and a grad student in Texas. Originally from Indiana, but I kind of what to live in Colorado or Oregon or some such place. Mechanical Engineer and enjoy many a nerdy thing, as well as some not so nerdy things. Nerdy things include video games and board/card games, a number of webcomics, math and engineering related stuff, and sizing up new buildings for their raptor/zombie stronghold potential. The not-so-nerdy stuff includes snowboarding and rock climbing, playing guitar (well, it's kind of nerdy, but not so much as the saxamaphone I used to play), and trying to figure out if Belial is actually a human in a raptor suit, or a raptor in a people suit.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

Greetings and Salutations! My "name" is Master Gunner, and I've being around for a few weeks. By my estimations, I will still be here in a year, but still have less than 100 posts, so none of you will ever remember ever seeing me before. I, however, will be constantly watching all of you, waiting.........
Master Gunner

Postby Oort » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

I'm Michael. I've been here about a year and found it on a post at gamefaqs.
Oort

Postby liza » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Liza. I once had peacocks as pets. I can play a few folk songs on an Appalachian dulcimer. I type dvorak. I grow my own catnip. And I like sticking my hands in bags of grain.

That was my best attempt at misrepresenting myself as someone highly unusual. Unfortunately, I'm a remarkably normal.
liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby bbctol » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

Yo. Ich bin bbctol. I've been around for... some long amount of months. I am ridiculously young, at 13. I live in the richest parts of Massachusetts. xkcd pwns.

...I'm bad at intros.
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby snow93 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

I'm snow93, and after bbctol I'm the second youngest person in this thread so far (14). I might have posted an intro before, but my consciousness works backwards in time so I haven't remembered it yet.
I like:Physics, Maths, GNU/Linux and Ancient Greek (better than Hieroglyphics, easily). Ooo, and I listen to classical music and nothing else :!: (what a stupid smiley, its got, like, no eyes or ears).
And I'm from sunny Cambridge in England.
snow93

Postby Shro » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:05 pm UTC

I'm Argyl3. I like the movie Amelie, but bags of grain are overrated. Letils are where it's at, yo.

/total irreverence.

I like sprinkling random ghettoness into my speech because it's funny coming from a nerdy Indian girl who refuses to use lol except for comedic purposes. I will often talk about Jacque, who is also a member of these here fora, and is my boy.

Also, I am the Grammar Hammer. I'm a very lenient grammar hammer. I don't even mind ending sentences with prepositions or anything.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?
Shro
science genius girl

Postby 27b/6 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

Hello. I am a real human. Earlier today, I ingested processed plant and/or animal matter in order to extract important nutrients, which is not something a bot would do. I also consume ethanol-bearing liquids in the company of other humans on occasion in order to demonstrate that I too am one of the humans. I am capable of bipedal motion, which as we all know is something that is very difficult for bots, but not for humans. I have the capability to identify a specific human's speech by recognizing their voice, without needing to perform a sophisticated Fourier analysis of their speech.

So, as you can see, I am not a bot.

I have edited this post to remove a typographical error, which is something a bot would not need to do.
"A policeman's job is only easy in a police state." --Orson Welles, Touch of Evil
27b/6

Postby Nimz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

Edited to add linkage and error-correction
I go by the name Nimz. If you look to your left you can see that, though. In the last intro thread I introduced myself as an insane genius. And that's still pretty true. If you look to the left, you will also notice that I appreciate chess.

I joined the forum a few weeks ago. "Hmmm. What does this button (marked FORUMS) do?" I found XKCD via slashdot. I haven't visited slashdot since, but XKCD has become a thrice-weekly comic addiction. And the forum... even more of an addiction, I'm afraid. I fear I may have fallen right into the raptors' claws by joining :shock:

If you look immediately below this sentence, you will find (unless you are looking below while replying) that I am also interested in non-English languages (though may not be proficient in any of them, with the possible exception of maths).
Last edited by Nimz on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
LOWA
Nimz

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:00 am UTC

I'm a real doctor. From America. Doling out the harshness.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby maafy6 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:26 am UTC

Yo. I'm Matt, maafy6 was my username at my college (initials + 3 letter hash). I've adopted because I realized it's one of few names that are generally always available to take when registering. I pronounce it "ma - fee six" - with a short "a" (as in say Matt without the first t. Or the second one, even though that one's silent.).

Anyway, I was a math major (originally nuclear engineering, I got bored) with CS and physics minors until I graduated. Then I wasn't anymore. And now I work as a software engineer in Virginia.

The end.
maafy6

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:26 am UTC

I'm new, 14, and very geeky.

But if I wasn't geeky, why would I be here?
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.
Cryopyre

Postby mrcheesypants » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:58 am UTC

They call me Will and I'm currently a freshman at a Georgia state university called Valdosta State in the Reagents Transfer Program(Go to this crappy state school for 3 years then transfer to GA tech as an engineer). I'm probably one of the few nerds down here so xkcd provides me some sort of escape from this hell.

I hate frat boys :cry:
mrcheesypants

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:01 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm a real doctor. From America. Doling out the harshness.

with hot dickings?
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls
scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Next

Return to General