What instrument do you own?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

dhamsy

Re: What instrument do you own?

Postby dhamsy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:50 am UTC

Total for our house is:

Clarinet, Flute, Trombone, Electric Piano, 4 Guitars, Basses etc., Cello, Various Fifes, Armenian Flutes, a Duduk, Drums, Various African Percussion instruments...
Musical household :D

MissAusten

Postby MissAusten » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:28 am UTC

Keyboard - Korg m50, and loving it more and more every day 8)

garren101

Postby garren101 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

A Cort C4 electric bass, a really sh***y Vantage electric guitar, a Yamaha classical guitar my Dad bought in 1978 and gave to me in 2006, a 6-piece Tama Swingstar drum set with 8 Sabian cymbals. And just on Saturday I ordered one of these, only in orange.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:02 am UTC

I always thought Bongos were pretty ugly. certainly awesome playability and versatility, but ugly.
I suppose such pettyness hasn't really helped me in life.
uhhhh fuck.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:11 am UTC

I have an ancient Casio keyboard, a low-end M-Audio MIDI keyboard, a low-end used guitar, and a used clarinet. I'm in the process of teaching myself how to play piano well, and then I'm going to teach myself how to play pitches/chords on the guitar and clarinet.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

garren101

Postby garren101 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:26 am UTC

Midnight wrote:I always thought Bongos were pretty ugly. certainly awesome playability and versatility, but ugly.
I suppose such pettyness hasn't really helped me in life.

See, and I think they look awesome! What I like most about the looks is that they don't look like anything else out there. Every other bass just rips off of J-basses, P-basses, or Gibson guitars.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

I think, fer'xample, Stingrays look better. Bongos are like stingrays without being funkay phresh, for me.

As far as sexy dream basses go:
Spoiler:

HNGGGGGGG SOOOOOOOOO SEXY.
like, too sexy for me to actually play.
uhhhh fuck.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

I have an oboe and a harp here at school with me. Much more than that would not fit in my room. (Actually, the harp doesn't either, I have to keep it elsewhere....)

At home, however, there's....two more harps, another oboe, a piano, several flutes, a baritone, a trombone, a keyboard, a trumpet (I think?), and a digeridoo. I cannot play most of these, but my family can or could at some point in the past.

Also, here at school, my hovse owns a piano and an organ, and there's a harpsichord in the music house. I think they actually pay a couple of the students to keep it in tune.

Noiseman433

Postby Noiseman433 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:36 am UTC

Bowed strings: Cello (3 of them); viola, Bulgarian Gadulka, Chinese Sihu, Thai Saw Duang and Saw U

Plucked: 12 string guitar, classical guitar, mandolin

Winds: clarinet, Thai flutes, recorders, pan pipes

Percussion: Egyptian tabla, Azerbaijani Doira, Daf, Riq, and various assorted smaller hand held percussion (maracas, finger cymbols, etc.)

Electronics: tons of effects and rackmounts and keyboards, some circuit bent toys

And of course, my voice. :D

delfts

Postby delfts » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

I own both an acoustic guitar and an electric piano, but I haven't touched either in a while. I'm not much of a musician. It's too bad, because the piano cost me about $1500...
My blog about a bunch of random ideas, which are pretty darn interesting.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:04 am UTC

Our family owns...a lot of flutes/flute-like instruments. I have two flutes--I use the cheaper one for marching band, and the other for symphonic band. Also, our really crappy piccolo is somehow basically mine even though I despise it. :P My mom also has a regular C-flute, a good piccolo, an alto flute, and a base flute. She also owns several penny whistles and I think two recorders, though one is broken. In addition, I think she has a cello and a clarinet somewhere....

EDIT: Oh! We also have a piano that hasn't been tuned in awhile. ^-^
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

IceFlake

Postby IceFlake » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 am UTC

I have 3 violins:

1. A 3/4 size that I played when I was little. It's not been played since my little sister was 10 years old, and my parents eventually shipped it to me because they had no use for it. It's your basic student violin, probably worth a hundred dollars or so. I want to donate it to an elementary school music program but that has proven surprisingly difficult.

2. A full size that I played from age 11 up until college. It's decent enough but it has Caspari pegs that are all messed up. Really, it needs the whole scroll re-worked and new peg holes drilled for new (traditional) pegs. That's a lot of money to invest in a violin that I never play, so there it sits.

3. My regular violin that I play......regularly! It is NOT a strad copy, thankyouverymuch, it is a French made Vuillaume copy. My teacher, incidentally, has a real Vuillaume.

I want:

A piano. A good one. That matches my living room decor. And is not too loud for an indoor household space, yet has power when you need it. Is that too much to ask?

A harp. I can't play the harp; I just think they are so beautiful! I probably could pick up the harp fairly easily since I can play piano and am generally music-minded.

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 am UTC

I own an Aria electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, violin, banjo, and a Mark II drum set. I mostly play the guitars. The banjo was just something I tried out and then stopped after a while.

IceFlake wrote:I have 3 violins:

A harp. I can't play the harp; I just think they are so beautiful! I probably could pick up the harp fairly easily since I can play piano and am generally music-minded.

My sister has a harp, just a lap one not one of the full sized ones. I guess they are somewhat easy to play but can take a while to tune.
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

Return to “Music”