Bones

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Bones

Postby zenten » Thu May 22, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So Zak is Gormogon's apprentace.

Man that was random. It must have been because of the writers strike, because that needed a *heck* of a lot more build and whatnot to ring true.
zenten

Re: Bones

Postby podbaydoor » Thu May 22, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

Wait...what??

Clearly, I need to catch the hell up on seasons 2 and 3.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby zenten » Thu May 22, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Wait...what??

Clearly, I need to catch the hell up on seasons 2 and 3.

Actually, you'll still have that reaction after seeing all the episodes.
zenten

Bones

Postby Minchandre » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 am UTC

I just made this thread because I couldn't find a pre-existing one with the search function.

I like this show a lot - I like the characters, the plotlines, and the fact that they get a lot of the science right, but it's starting to really annoy me that A. they keep getting their image processing wrong and B. How did a face artist gain PhD levels of image processing and computer science without any sort of formal training or study in about 2 years?
Minchandre

Postby mercuryseven » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:15 am UTC

I only watched a few episodes in Season 5, because I went home to my home country and it was airing there... and yea, it's a quite okay show. Not really sure how accurate is the forensic anthropology stuff in the show, but the image processing stuff is borderline magic/fantasy. I went to check out Season 1 and they did facial reconstruction in 3D hologram!

I do like it better than CSI, though. Probably mostly due to the romantic tension between the lead characters. And the guest stars too - Stephen Fry appeared as an eccentric chef in one of the episodes. Such a great delight to watch!
mercuryseven

Postby PeterCai » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:29 am UTC

atrocious science, cardboard characters, lameass jokes,unimaginitive plotlines AND mary sue main characters? yeah i can't stand this show
PeterCai

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:35 am UTC

The science is truly atrocious, the characters follow expected tropes, but I really dig it. There are some beautiful scenes involving death, and while her nerdiness is occasionally overplayed, Brennan's lust for knowledge is captured better here than just about any other program I've scene.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 am UTC

I'm not sure how many episodes I've seen, most of this season, quite a bit of last season, and some earlier episodes. I'm kind of getting into it, watching on hulu and such.

Gives off kind of a Teen-Detectives vibe. I wouldn't say the characters are mary sues. They might be unreasonably talented and successful, and the cases are designed to fall open as soon as they look in the right places, but I wouldn't say they're the Good-at-Everything-Always-Wins-And-Everyone-loves-them characters Mary Sues are.

They have the Psychic Hologram computers that CSI uses, but I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice glaring atrocities in the science. A few moments where Bones made reference to a theory that was debated and not applicable, but that could be her character not doing so well actually relating to human interaction.
There's also a lot of stating the obvious and going through unnecessary steps for the audience.

It covers quite a few interesting topics, and I guess the characters have been growing on me.

But then they do an episode with ghosts.
cephalopod9

Postby Minchandre » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:29 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:But then they do an episode with ghosts.

Don't worry, the ghosts get a science-y explanation.

Spoiler:
Turns out Booth has a brain tumor that's causing him hallucinations. The episode with Stewey is especially good.
Minchandre

Postby PeterCai » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

Not marry sue? Let's see...she's in her 30s; she's beautiful, and has a string of admirers; she got maybe three different doctorates, speak at least 8 different languages, mastered three different school of martial arts and, even though she has no expirence in writing novels, her very first work got published and made best-seller chart, earning her a fortune, yeah that's right, she's rich too; and, on top of all that, she fights crime with SCIENCE! for a hobby. What's her flaw? She comes off a bit cold and doesn't understand pop culture references.

But surely, her dark and troubled past justifies all this.
PeterCai

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:They have the Psychic Hologram computers that CSI uses, but I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice glaring atrocities in the science.

They got rid of this, which is sort of moot, because as a plot device it was just there for fun.
I remember one episode, where they get a badly acid dissolved skeleton. Angela uses a 'Monte Carlo recapitulation' to create a digital reconstruction of the dissolved portions, and lift minute nicks from the reconstructed region and establish a murder weapon.
It's laughable, but that's not really the point of the show, so, who cares. I think the show does a reasonably decent job of getting you in the middle of human interactions, and even though it lays it on really thick, everyone's perceptions are challenged and there's always a life lesson.

cephalopod9 wrote:But then they do an episode with ghosts.

Yeah, if you mean the witch episode, I like that the ghosts weren't part of the puzzle, but merely a potentially unexplainable after joke.
Spoiler:
The forest witch wasn't the murderer, the brother was. At the end of the episode, Hodges and Angela are watching the footage from the victims recovered camcorder, and they see what looks like some kind of specter. It's a gag.

PeterCai wrote:But surely, her dark and troubled past justifies all this.

I think the interactions she's had with her father have been pretty interesting. She's a bit of a super hero, so what, so is Booth. It's a TV show; they'll always arrive just in time to rescue one another, and the worst thing that could happen is the bad guy gets away to cause trouble next episode.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

PeterCai wrote:Not marry sue? Let's see...she's in her 30s; she's beautiful, and has a string of admirers; she got maybe three different doctorates, speak at least 8 different languages, mastered three different school of martial arts and, even though she has no expirence in writing novels, her very first work got published and made best-seller chart, earning her a fortune, yeah that's right, she's rich too; and, on top of all that, she fights crime with SCIENCE! for a hobby. What's her flaw? She comes off a bit cold and doesn't understand pop culture references.

But surely, her dark and troubled past justifies all this.

It depends on how you're using the term Mary Sue. Bones is over powered, and super human, but she still has emotional depth and genuine struggles. She still puts effort into the work she's incredibly talented at, and her skills wouldn't be nearly as useful without the rest of her team. Everyone on t.v. is beautiful and Twilight was a best selling novel. I like this break down of the term Mary Sue, but it's sort of long.
Minchandre wrote:Don't worry, the ghosts get a science-y explanation.
Spoiler:
Turns out Booth has a brain tumor that's causing him hallucinations. The episode with Stewey is especially good.
I didn't see the episodes immediately following and that one ended with Bones
Spoiler:
seeing the ghost herself and commenting that the ghost must have interacted physically with the environment
it was just thrown out there too.
A more recent episode had
Spoiler:
Bones talking to the victim through her headphones, but that was more of a lapse into her Point of View, although they also threw in an extra helpful mentor that no one else can see.
which just had a similar feel.
cephalopod9

Postby Alder » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:50 am UTC

PeterCai wrote:even though she has no expirence in writing novels, her very first work got published and made best-seller chart

Of all the things to take issue with, that's probably the funniest, given that the show, Bones, is loosely (very loosely!) based on the best-selling novels of Kathy Reichs. She's one of only 82 forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology, and her first fictional work - Deja Dead - won the 1997 Arthur Ellis Award for - best first novel...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.
Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby modularblues » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:17 am UTC

I must say I rather enjoyed the
Spoiler:
guest starring trio and their hilarious dynamic
in "The Finder". Also the first time the title breaks the usual "The ____ in the ____" :P
modularblues

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:20 am UTC

My mother and I are wondering if they are going to spin them off into a new series? What do you think?
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Stellazira » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

I've been watching Bones since it started and I really enjoy it. Brennan sure makes you want to facepalm sometimes. :P
Stellazira

Postby The EGE » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Angua wrote:My mother and I are wondering if they are going to spin them off into a new series? What do you think?

That's my suspicion as well. I like the dynamic between them.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.
The EGE

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Angua wrote:My mother and I are wondering if they are going to spin them off into a new series? What do you think?

Seems that way.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby Angua » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 am UTC

Ah - wikipedia has the answer as always - thanks :)
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Stellazira » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

I watched the latest episode recently and I can't say I liked it. I just felt annoyed watching it the whole time and if those characters did go off into a spin-off I'm not sure I'd watch it.
Stellazira

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

I think the spin-off shows promise. The characters were endearing, if a bit underdeveloped. I would totally give it a shot.

I also like that it isn't a cookie cutter spin-off like ${show}:${location}.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby markden111 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 am UTC

I watched bones not a lot but one thing is definitely clear that it is a good show worth watching!
markden111

Postby Stellazira » Sat May 07, 2011 3:35 am UTC

I liked yesterday's episode. Hodgins was being hilarious. :P
Stellazira

Postby MargaretK » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:22 am UTC

I like the relationships, even if some of you find errors in their crime-solving methods. Temperance is a very complex person and Booth is a mystery to me. They seem to be in love with each other, yet the words just never come out. The last season ended with Temperance telling Booth she was pregnant. Despite the always logical discussion about parenting, after she makes her announcement all you have to do is look in her eyes, then in his eyes. What makes me chuckle is remembering the episode where she was babysitting and talking in her grownup technical manner to the infant as if she expected an answer, then proceeded to entertain the baby by making up a rhythmic recitation of the bones. It was probably from the shoulder to the phalanges. Now I'm wondering what kind of parents they might be...hmmm. As for the possible spin-off, I doubt it. My goodness, look what's happened with CSI, NCIS, and Law & Order. It's hard to keep up with them all.
MargaretK

Postby Diadem » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

Finished catching up on season 6 today.

I keep wondering why I like this show so much. The plots are often contrived, there's no foreshadowing at all of who the killer is, it's pure deus ex machina. The science is pure technobabble, they aren't even trying to keep it realistic. And the show is chokeful of cliches.

Yet the characters are great, with sharp and funny dialogue. Even if all the characters are stereotypes, they are also more than that. And the acting is great. What I like most about the show though is the strong female characters. Not just Bones herself, but all of the women in the series. Even a character like Boot's girlfriend in the beginning of S6, a minor character literally defined by who she was in a relationship with. Yet they still gave her a personality.

The series employs ever other cliche in the book, but the characters aren't cliche, and that's what makes it fun.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
Diadem

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:21 am UTC

Wiki said the spin-off series would be 2011-2012. Is it coming in the spring?

I love that new intern they have. It's been a long time since I've seen a character that wants to be really respectful and polite, esp. a teenager (or close to). And I say this as a teenager, although I know I sound rather "In my day..." about it.

My mom always said one of her favorite things about this show was how they could say all the sciency stuff for the audience but still do it in a way that doesn't make them look like idiots. Ex: "This type of bone deformity is seen in bla bla bla." "I have a PhD too. Why are you telling me this?"
As opposed to CSI, at least Miami and NY, idk about the original one. "This knife was found at the crime scene. It had blood on it." "The victim was stabbed, so it must the the murder weapon." I think they think we're all idiots.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
They really think they can fix that house up in six weeks. They are so insane.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It doesn't have to be exactly 6 weeks - the baby will probably be all right with just a small cot in that apartment of theirs for about 6 months at least (or however long it takes for babies to grow big enough to need something bigger).
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Sytri » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:37 am UTC

Angua wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It doesn't have to be exactly 6 weeks - the baby will probably be all right with just a small cot in that apartment of theirs for about 6 months at least (or however long it takes for babies to grow big enough to need something bigger).

Spoiler:
Having not seen the episode you're talking about yet but knowing about the characters, remember that Brenan is crazy rich but just doesn't spend her money. So having anything done in a short space of time is down to planning and cash and it's not hard to see how they could do it. Plus Booth has to have a decent amount of cash on him surely? Ex-Ranger and trainer who now works high profile FBI cases? Wish I had time to watch this new season...
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.
Sytri

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

Sytri wrote:
Angua wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Having not seen the episode you're talking about yet but knowing about the characters, remember that Brenan is crazy rich but just doesn't spend her money. So having anything done in a short space of time is down to planning and cash and it's not hard to see how they could do it. Plus Booth has to have a decent amount of cash on him surely? Ex-Ranger and trainer who now works high profile FBI cases? Wish I had time to watch this new season...

Spoiler:
I'm not concerned about their resources. It's just the house is completely trashed. They would have to do a lot for it to be livable, and I don't think their time frame is realistic.
UniqueScreenname

Postby Angua » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

Does anyone else find the new 'Bones does a different technique that's really annoying every week, but turns out to be right when if someone else was doing it, she'd prove them wrong' really, really, annoying???

This week's was especially bad:
Spoiler:
She keeps going with her gut and acting really childish about how this particular guy had done it (as in, literally repeating his name while Booth is trying to question another suspect). I was sooooo hoping that she'd be wrong, but nope. Bones is right again.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

Yes, yes it is.
UniqueScreenname

Postby Angua » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Is Booth torturing that girl because she was involved with a cop's murder??

Saying she could only get pain medication if she talked, seems like torture to me....
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Return to Movies and TV Shows