The Empire must fall. Our missions must succeed. By destroying their key facilities, we will shatter Imperial strength and liberate our people. Yet spies have infiltrated our ranks, ready for sabotage. We must unmask them. In five nights we reshape destiny or die trying. We are the Resistance!
-Adapted from original BGG game description.
Game type: Open
Rules, as modified by Weeks (tweaks for The Resistance underlined):
2. You may not play to lose. This will be dealt with at the mod's discretion (expect an immediate replacement if you play against your faction).
3. Do not lurk. If you no longer want to or can't play, ask the mod as soon as possible for a replacement. If there are no replacements, you must keep playing until a replacement arrives or the mod decides to modkill you.
4. You may not edit your posts.
5. You may not post your role PM, or quote verbatim from it. You may paraphrase. Otherwise, you may say anything you like during the game.
6. Questions must be posted in
Bold, on a newline.
You may also ask questions to the mod in PM. You must PM all team proposal votes and mission success/failure to the Mod.
7. You may not post game content in this thread during the mission phase.
8. The mod's decisions are final.
How to play The Resistance (Please read carefully)
2. In the basic game, the spies know one another but MAY NOT COMMUNICATE PRIVATELY. In a 7-player game, there will be 4 resistance operatives and 3 spies.
3. The game is divided into 5 missions.
4. Each mission is divided into a team proposal step (3 days long max), and a mission run step (~1 day).
5. During the team proposal step, the team leader (randomly chosen first, and then proceeding down the player list) chooses a set number of players (based on the specific mission) to be on the team. They may choose anyone in any combination they wish, including themselves.
6. ALL PLAYERS, including the current mission leader must then vote (either ACCEPT or REJECT) on the proposed team by PMing the mod, who will then reveal all players’ votes simultaneously and publicly - you will know who voted what. A tie counts as a REJECTED vote. Mission leaders default to ACCEPT on their own teams.
7. If a team is REJECTED by the majority (or tie) of players, the next player becomes the team leader and proposes another team for the mission. Failure to submit a vote on a team proposal by the deadline counts as a REJECTED vote.
8. If a team is ACCEPTED by the majority of players, any spies on the team, if any, must decide whether the mission succeeds or fails by PMing the Mod. Resistance players automatically decide the mission passes. Only spies have a choice. Failure to choose by the deadline counts as a MISSION FAIL. You may PM the mod with your decision before the team is approved, but there will always be at least and at most one day for this step.
9. If there is even ONE MISSION FAIL on a mission, the entire mission FAILS (except for the fourth mission, which must have two MISSION FAILURES to FAIL). Otherwise, the mission SUCCEEDS.
10. The Resistance win the mission if it succeeds.
11. The Spies win the mission if it fails.
12. After a mission is completed (successfully by the resistance or sabotaged by spies), the next person on the list becomes the team leader.
13. The first team to win three missions, wins.
14. However, the Spies also win if there are ever 5 consecutive team rejections.
To propose a team (make bold):
The current team leader is: [__].
The current mission is: [__].
Proposed Team Member 1:
Proposed Team Member 2:
The Empire must fall. Our missions must succeed.
You are an operative for the Resistance. You must simultaneously discern the three spies and unmask them, while ensuring that any mission you are placed within succeeds. Only with your help will the Resistance succeed.
You win if the Resistance successfully execute 3 missions.
You lose if the Spies sabotage 3 missions or if there are ever 5 consecutive proposed team rejections.
During a mission, you automatically select MISSION SUCCESS.
The Empire must stand. The Resistance’s missions must fail.
You are a spy for the Empire. You must try to gain the trust of the Resistance… before betraying each and every one of them.
The spies are: [___]. You MAY NOT communicate with these players privately.
You win if the Spies sabotage 3 missions. You also win if there are ever 5 consecutive rejected teams.
You lose if the Resistance successfully completes 3 missions.
During a mission, you must choose whether there is a MISSION SUCCESS or MISSION FAILURE. So long as there is even a single MISSION FAILURE, the entire mission FAILS (except for the fourth mission, which must have two MISSION FAILURES to FAIL). If you do not choose by the deadline (24 hours), you automatically select MISSION FAILURE.
Once at the beginning of each new mission, the team leader will be given two plot powers to distribute amongst the players, except himself. PM the mod with who should receive which power before proposing a team. Permanent and immediate powers will be used on the appropriate player immediately. Team leaders must distribute plot powers before missions are proposed, but discussion is allowed before they are distributed.
The team leader then proposes the team normally.
To use a plot power, declare the plot power you are using publically in the thread. Certain plot powers can only be used at specific times, please read carefully.
Some plot powers have duplicates; these are represented by x2 or x3.
Strong Leader x2 (5+ players)
1 Time Use
The player who receives this plot power may become the Leader. If this is used on a mission that has not yet had a team proposed, that player also receives the normal two plot powers to distribute. Two of these may not be played consecutively. This power may only be used immediately during or after a mission for use on the next mission (before plot cards have been distributed), or on a mission that has already been rejected once (before a team has been proposed).
Opinion Maker x2 (2 for 7+ players, 1 for 5-6 players)
The player who receives this plot power must Vote first and publically for the rest of the game (Vote in-thread).
No Confidence x3 (3 for 7+ players, 1 for 5-6 players)
1 Time Use
The player who receives this plot power may null an approved team and force a leadership change. The next player in line becomes the mission leader. This counts as a REJECTED mission. This power may only be used after a team has been approved.
Overheard Conversation x2 (7+ players)
The player who receives this plot power must choose a player directly before or after them in the player list. They are told the role of the player they chose.
Keeping a Close Eye on You x2 (5+ players)
1 Time Use
The player who receives this plot power is told whether a specific player succeeded or sabotaged the current mission. This power may only be used at the end of a mission.
In the Spotlight (7+ players)
1 Time Use
The player who receives this plot power may select another player who must submit their mission disposition publically (PASS/FAIL). This power may only be used after a team has been approved.
Take Responsibility (5+ players)
The player who receives this plot power must immediately take a plot power at random from another player (includes Opinion Maker). This can be used on the current round of plot power distributions (though the player it was taken from is told what their stolen power was).
Establish Confidence (7+ players)
The player who receives this plot power is told the role of the current mission leader.
Open Up (7+ players)
The player who receives this plot power must choose another player. The chosen player is told their role (E.g. if A receives this card and chooses B, B is told the role of A).
Players (10 Max):
The players required per mission are as such (for a 7 player game):
Mission 1: 2 players
Mission 2: 3 players
Mission 3: 3 players
Mission 4: 4* players
Mission 5: 4 players
Mission 1: SUCCESS
Mission 2: FAILURE
Mission 3: FAILURE
Mission 4: SUCCESS
Mission 5: SUCCESS
Missions Completed by the Resistance: 3
Missions Sabotaged by the Spies: 2