What were your dreams last night?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

The other night I was... either sleeping or nearly sleeping or greatly altered in my mental state, and I may have scratched a mole off the back of my leg. I can't really tell, I think I thought/was dreaming that it was a splinter, because my legs were covered in fiberglass splinters (holy crap that sucked).

Last night, I dreamed all night that I was trying to pull a large black splinter out of my leg, again. I keep thinking about it and wondering why the hell I'm dreaming about a splinter that isn't there.
How'm I supposed to know that you're high if you won't let me touch you?
Fantastic Idea
I'm the bad mod. Azrael is the good mod. Questions?

Postby KicktheCAN » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:58 pm UTC

Wait, were your legs actually covered in fiberglass splinters or did you just dream that, because it happened to me once and those things burn and refuse to come out.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here
KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

I believe they were covered in fiberglass splinters. I've had them before and they suck suck suck, and after a night of heavy drinking and hanging out on an unfamiliar roof, my legs felt like they had fiberglass splinters all down the backs of them (from sitting on the roof) but I cannot for the life of me figure out why there would have been fiberglass on that roof.

They mostly went away after I shaved my legs, kinda. I think. I don't know, I was not sober that weekend.
How'm I supposed to know that you're high if you won't let me touch you?
Fantastic Idea
I'm the bad mod. Azrael is the good mod. Questions?

Postby KicktheCAN » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

They do indeed suck. I was in Home Depot once and with my constant need to mess with everything around me I decided "Hey, lets pick that up!" I realized too late that it was made from untreated fiberglass which was now everywhere.

KicktheCAN

Postby schrodingersduck » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

My dreams are conclusive proof I watch too much TV; here's a recent example:

I'm watching House, and House is trying to deal with a patient who is unable to urinate. He's standing in front of the whiteboard staring at an MRI scan when he yells "I've got it"!

Cut to the House title card, followed by adverts! There's an advert for a children's cartoon about an elderly bearded window cleaner called Rummy who drives around in a bathtub accompanied by a theme song which goes "Rum-rum rub-a-dub" ad infinitum (and the computer game thereof, in which the road is flooded with bubbles and you have to use the bathtub to scoop them away), an ad for Lego Bionicle (apparently a recurring part of my dreams, even though I hate the stuff - it's not real Lego!), and, best of all, a trailer for a new show, which goes:

"Everyone points to the all-David Beckham football team and the zombie Westlife as an example of the benefits of cloning celebrities. But who remembers the ghastly horror of the Britney Spears-s versus Gareth Gates-s cricket match. All this and more on When Celebrities Get Cloned!"

Anyway, it now cuts back to House, which inexplicably, is now taking place on my high school football field. House points to the patient and says "he can't pee because he doesn't have a urethra!". He then somehow forces a hosepipe into the patient to use as a makeshift urethra. (All the while I'm thinking "once again, House show surgery in an inaccurate light. Why would a diagnostician do kidney surgery. And why on a field? And how is urine coming out of that tube if he's holding it over his head; the bladder should be unable to produce a high enough pressure to sustain that!")

At this point, my alarm clock goes off, and because I have the old Arctic Monkeys album in, "View From The Afternoon" starts playing, and my brain actually makes up a strange new music video for it (all I remember is lots of red) before I wake up.
Psychoanalyse that!

Another dream I had was even more bizarre:
    I'm walking through London when a gang of 10 year olds starts chasing me. I run into the tube and after about 5 minutes of repetitive running, I find my self outside my local sports centre (which is 200 miles away from London!).

There's a shopping trolley full of horrible bleeding internal organs in front of me, yet all I think when I look at is "Hmm, I should really report that to the police".

Then a grossly distorted 10 foot high albatross lands in front of me. One eye is the size of a bowling ball and terribly bloodshot while the other is the size of a snooker ball and is staring intently at me. The body is shaped like that of a dodo, the wings are each the size of a kingsize-duvet and the thing has horribly bloated, distended, swollen red udders! Yet again, all I can think is "Oh look, it's that giant albatross they were talking about on the news. I should get a photo of that for my mum!"

The thing strolls away, walking like a pigeon, and I walk around the edge of the sports centre. Suddenly I'm being pelted with something. I look up and see a flock of seagulls hovering overhead and I think "Oh no - I'm covered in bird droppings!". Then I look down, and see that it's not bird droppings they are flinging at me but blue and gold Bionicle masks (I told you it's a recurring theme...) and there is a (bird dropping stained) mountain of the stuff in front of me...
Sorry if that was a bit long, by the way.
schrodingersduck

Postby KicktheCAN » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

schrodingersduck wrote:Psychoanalyse that!

Ok, we need to get you into deprogramming, those Bionicle commercials are doing funny things to your brain. Meanwhile I will be checking myself into rehab for this forum because I am posting WAY too much.

KicktheCAN

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

Last night I dreamed I was going back to school, but not high school or university. No, I dreamt I was going to primary school. With people I didn't even know back then.

And somehow, walking into the building magically transported me to my locker from last year, in my high school. And then the PA came on and told me to get out of the building, because people were trying to learn and my existence is distracting.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby schrodingersduck » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Last night I dreamed I was going back to school, but not high school or university. No, I dreamt I was going to primary school. With people I didn't even know back then.

I recently had a dream where I went back to primary school. I think it also put my brain into primary school because this is what happened:

I'm in primary school. A dragon comes and takes over the school. My friend does kung-fu and kills the dragon.
Complex plot.

Another dream I had went like this:
    Some guy I know, called Huxley, drives past in a 50's convertible called a Huxley, reading Brave New World (by Aldolus Huxley). I think to myself "Wow, if I wasn't awake I'd think this was all some crazy dream".
By the way - on lucid dreaming. A friend of mine, possibly the least ambitious guy I know, told me about a lucid dream he had recently; he went to Y Fflint (in case you've never been to Y Fflint, it's a bit of a dump - no offense to Flintians).
Last edited by schrodingersduck on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:04 pm UTC

Oh yes, and one more: I need to go to the loo, but once I'm in there, I realise I can see through the walls, as well as walk through them. As this poses an understandable privacy issue, I poke my head out of the door and realise that the other side of the door is completely opaque. I think to myself "Oh well, I'm sure someone's just turned on noclip mode, and I can see through this door due to the back-face culling that results. Oh well..."
schrodingersduck

Postby Okita » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:49 am UTC

I just remembered this dream today while looking around on the threads.

I had a dream (wow, suddenly had to resist a tangent to do Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a Dream" speech) in which I met my soul-mate or something along the lines of that. I barely remember what she looked like (I have a faint memory of long hair) but I knew, instinctively, surely through and through knew that she was perfect and that I wanted to spend my life with her.

And then I woke up.

I don't think I was ever so disappointed at waking up. Kinda through off my entire day.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Rodan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:50 am UTC

KicktheCAN wrote:
schrodingersduck wrote:Psychoanalyse that!

Ok, we need to get you into deprogramming, those Bionicle commercials are doing funny things to your brain. Meanwhile I will be checking myself into rehab for this forum because I am posting WAY too much.

pfft! Your post count is only 271! I laugh!
Rodan
Any title.

Postby Okita » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:58 am UTC

schroedingersduck wrote:I'm walking through London when a gang of 10 year olds starts chasing me.

That happens in real life y'know.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Istrom » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:32 am UTC

I made a thread with a lengthy description of me dream from two nights ago here.

It makes close to no sense and is pretty detailed.
Istrom

Postby Castaway » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:33 am UTC

schroedingersduck wrote:I'm walking through London when a gang of 10 year olds starts chasing me.

Oh man, like in Hostel.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat
Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby schrodingersduck » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

Its wierd; I've only had about 20 posts on the xkcd forums, yet already it must be permeating my psyche; I've three dreams in the last three days involving being chased by raptors!
schrodingersduck

Postby Klye » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:08 pm UTC

This was a couple weeks ago:
I was standing in my driveway back home with my dad when a car from the driveway across the alley (which doesn't actually exist) backed into my dad's truck, barely doing any damage. The other guy got out of his car and offered to pay for any repairs that would need to be done. My dad said "how about I just do the same thing to you - get your car back into your driveway, and i'll go get my keys." The other guy said that was fine, but it would cost my dad $375 if he wanted to do it that way.
End of dream.

Last night:
I was on the driveway again. My mom came outside and right as we started talking, my dad drove up in one of those big rental vans. We asked whyy he had it and he said something about getting revenge on the guy that hit his truck. He drove off and about ten minutes later pulled back into the driveway. He got out, looked at the van, and commented about the relative lack of damage, only a small dent.
He told us that he had found the other guy driving and started chasing him through the neighborhood. Eventually they were going down an alley and my dad bumped him. The other guy kept going, and due to excessive speed, eventually ran into a pole.
Suddenly I began to hear sirens, and when a police car pulled up, me and my mom went inside. I asked her if I could go abck out to watch, but she said no.
End of dream.

When I woke up, it took me about ten minutes to figure out if the first part had actually happened or if it had been another dream...
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?
Klye

Postby lukkucairi » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:17 pm UTC

ever since I got back from the playa, I have consistently dreamed that I'm back at burning man. every single morning, just before I wake up, I'm convinced that I'm still out there.

last night I dreamed that my tribe and I were caught in a nuclear explosion, but that somehow we survived unscathed - we were watching the shock wave expand away from us. the space inside was calm.
lukkucairi

Postby Clerria » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:26 pm UTC

My dreams are usually realistic. I once dreamed that I had a half gallon of milk in the fridge and got pissed when I woke up the next morning and it wasn't there. I wanted cereal...

If I'm stressed and depressed in life then my dreams will reflect that attitude. So I call that a bad dream, but I never have nightmares. Pretty straightforward and realistic... except for the flying. I can always fly no matter what : )
Clerria

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

I dreamed something about going with my band to by a new computer and bass. only the bass looked like a guitar made of like, steel with a really cool texture, and I dont think I had an amp but it still made sound as if it did. There was something to do with a flute too, and there was a room with lots of beanbag seats in the music store.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Likpok » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

I once had a dream, or a pair of dreams (I still can't tell if i dreamed the reference) where I was kidnapped and/or held hostage by a man in a trenchcoat with a great deal of guns. Through some sneakiness, I managed to leave with all of his guns (pistols, uzis, a toy submarine which had bullets inside, a piece of paper which was somehow a gun.

So I "wake up" In my room, and find the church i used to go to holding service in the back yard. I still have all the guns. I put on some clothing, and my mom comes in to convince me to turn them over to the police.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.
Likpok

Postby fragsta » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

Likpok wrote:So I "wake up" In my room, and find the church i used to go to holding service in the back yard. I still have all the guns. I put on some clothing, and my mom comes in to convince me to turn them over to the police.

Even the submarine??

I had a dream the night before last that I had telekinetic powers. I was at a really fancy theme park-type place or holiday resort with my Uncle and his family, and, well, you know how when you see an automatic door, you have to pretend like you're a Jedi? Yeah, so anyway, I was doing something like that in the dream and found it actually working, by a fluke!

I didn't need my hands or anything, just my mind, and at first I wasn't very good at it. I could pick up a pencil, for example. But throughout this day I practiced and practiced, and eventually I could take hardback books from the middle of a stack of hardback books. It was a very vivid dream, and I even checked when I was in the dream if it was in fact a dream, and decided that it wasn't. I was extremely disappointed when I woke up and tried to pick up a roll-on deodorant bottle from afar.
fragsta

Postby Likpok » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

Well, you see, the submarine was also a gun somehow. All i remember at this point is taking something off the bottom and seeing rounds in a magazine (a lá the M1 Garand)
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.
Likpok

Postby Waha » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

went to a movie with my father ( who I haven't seen in 10 years, yet he look aged as if I had...) and as we were going in, a vampire busted in. I ended up killing it with a stake. After that, this kid walked up to me and tried to sell me a picture made out of tinfoil for $5. So I bought it. Then came his mother who asked him how much he was selling them for, and he said $1. She caught him lying and beat him.
Waha

Postby fragsta » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

Likpok wrote:Well, you see, the submarine was also a gun somehow. All i remember at this point is taking something off the bottom and seeing rounds in a magazine (a lá the M1 Garand)

Almost completely unrelated: have you been playing Bioshock at all recently?
fragsta

Postby lukkucairi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

I dreamed I was a feng shui master.
lukkucairi

Postby connorsname » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

In my dream I was sitting in my house alone and the neighbor kids were outside at their house. (They are all around 8 years old) They were playing with a bonfire so I went outside to look then I noticed the front of my house was on fire. I tried calling 911 and it took forever to get in. Once I was in the guy said he's heard this story before and I should stop making prank calls. I went back up and someone had set up my sprinkler and put out the fire. I went inside and my friend Brent was in my house. I dragged him outside and asked to see what's in his pockets. He was taking my mom's jewelry. Then I realized someone else was in their too. It was some random kid taking stuff too. I tackled him but then realized he put out the fire. So I thanked him and let them leave.
There were more dreams but that was the most recent one I can remember.
connorsname

Postby connorsname » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:39 pm UTC

By the way has anyone here heard of Reality Checks? What your supposed to do is during the day just preform one every so often. That way it becomes a habit and you do them in dreams too. When you realize your in a dream you can mold your dream however you want. I've only gotten a couple of dreams were I have done that.
The one I do is were I look at some writing, look away, then look back and if it's different then I'm dreaming.
connorsname

Postby clockworkmonk » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

While not in the strictest sense a dream, as I was awake. But this morning, for the third time, I experienced sleep paralysis. All times I was in bead, unable to move. And sum fuzzy blur was choking me. Or trying to. couldn't move, scream, or anything. Not pleasant.
418 I'm a teapot
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby fragsta » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

connorsname wrote:By the way has anyone here heard of Reality Checks? What your supposed to do is during the day just preform one every so often. That way it becomes a habit and you do them in dreams too. When you realize your in a dream you can mold your dream however you want. I've only gotten a couple of dreams were I have done that.

I did that in my aforementioned dream, but it didn't work. I thought I was awake. Man, dream me is dumb.
fragsta

Postby Ketzerei » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

Dream me never notices anything amiss, either, even in the craziest dreams ever. I think of it as a testiment to my adaptability rather than to my stupidity.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで
Ketzerei

Postby fragsta » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

Ketzerei wrote:Dream me never notices anything amiss, either, even in the craziest dreams ever. I think of it as a testiment to my adaptability rather than to my stupidity.

I think that's a good way to take it. I'll do the same.
fragsta

Postby elminster » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

I had an odd dream a few days back that involved ninjas, coffee, gansters, many Ray Charles clones, Jews... i forget the rest now. Sure was some interesting combat, the Ray Charles clones did particularly well considering they were blind.

Its odd how dreams manage to combine things in ways that are sometimes unimaginable in normal thought modes. Possibly when the first organic computers come out, we can utilise them to generate odd concepts... or force them to generate concepts, then evaluate them by usual methods.
elminster

Postby Earlz » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

I had a ton of dreams, I just can't remember any of them...but Thursday I had a bit of a nightmare...

I had a dream my school suddenly got like huge with like 4 stories and hallways and hallways of lockers... Well, I went looking for a girl I really liked(and who is now my girlfriend) and could not find her! I ran looking for her and started to go to the lower story down the stairs......and then I woke up...it was a horrible dream... it sucked :(
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby kaprodemono » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:15 pm UTC

I can't remember last night's dream. The other night, I had a dream where a demon, half my size and in the likeness of the BSD daemon, ate my "gut" (area around the navel) while I was still alive. In the middle of the demon's feast, I woke up with a freaked out feeling.
kaprodemono

Postby GusPatsy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:52 am UTC

I had a dream that I was very slowly turning into a zombie, and I had a few days to produce everything my dwindling intellect had to offer before I was to be shot between the eyes as an undead brain-eater. It was really bitter-sweet, because, while quite scary and depressing, I got off my ass and did some stuff.

Okita wrote:I barely remember what she looked like (I have a faint memory of long hair) but I knew, instinctively, surely through and through knew that she was perfect and that I wanted to spend my life with her.

I had this experience in real life. It was my brother's birthday, the whole fam was sitting around at this health-food co-op when she started walking toward us. I noticed how cute she was immediately, and then she started talking to my brother. Apparently they're friends. She said hello, and introduced herself to the rest of us. She was shy, and embraced the inherent awkwardness of the situation without making it seem uncomfortable. Afterwards I told my brother that I had immediately fallen in love with her. He agreed that she's amazing and told me about a fake protest she'd organized.

She, my brother and some of their other friends all stood around near a group of abortion protestors, holding signs that said things like:
Up Your Amount of Dolphins!
and
Stop Complaining!

I no longer remember her name, but the desire to spend the rest of my life with her remains in full force.

(sorry,very much off track)

clockworkmonk wrote:While not in the strictest sense a dream, as I was awake. But this morning, for the third time, I experienced sleep paralysis. All times I was in bead, unable to move. And sum fuzzy blur was choking me. Or trying to. couldn't move, scream, or anything. Not pleasant.

Ugh. That's the worst. I've only ever had it for 5-10 seconds, and never had the problem of the unseen attacker (though I hear it's common), but it's still terrifying.
Alisto wrote:
GusPatsy wrote:I would like a title that references something I don't get, and would take hours to figure out, eventually leaving me disappointed.

"Sex"
GusPatsy
sex, lol!

Postby Jonas Freedemeyer » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

GusPatsy wrote:I had this experience in real life. It was my brother's birthday, the whole fam was sitting around at this health-food co-op when she started walking toward us. I noticed how cute she was immediately, and then she started talking to my brother. Apparently they're friends. She said hello, and introduced herself to the rest of us. She was shy, and embraced the inherent awkwardness of the situation without making it seem uncomfortable. Afterwards I told my brother that I had immediately fallen in love with her. He agreed that she's amazing and told me about a fake protest she'd organized.
That's awesome, dude. I had a similar experience coming out of a Jerry Seinfeld show once. The most beautiful woman I've ever seen was leaning against the building, smoking a cigarette, and I was just overcome by the desire to go up to her and tell her how amazing she was. But I didn't, of course, and I've always regretted it. :cry:

If you see your dolphin advocate again, may I suggest that you bake cookies for her? That's the only sure way I know of to win a woman's heart. :lol:
"The only fortune of fire never fades." ~ John Voltaire
Jonas Freedemeyer

Postby lukkucairi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

I had a dream about a beheaded poodle.
lukkucairi

Postby eristic » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:05 pm UTC

I had a dream that I was with a friend of mine and for some reason we were really pissed off at a group of about 10 people. Needless to say, they were walking away from us and I began to get really pissed. As such, I threw my fists down as if I was the human torch, expecting for them to become lit with fire so I could toss fireballs at them.

One guy saw me, turned back around and started walking toward me. When I noticed that I was indeed not the human torch, I ran at him and did Armada with Martelo (i play capoeira). The best part was I saw the kick in slow motion and knew it was going to hit his face before my foot reached his face. Matrix style!
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby PhantomReality » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

I dreamed I was at home in my bed where I could wake up go downstairs and eat breakfast with people who love me instead of waking up walking down the hall and drinking MORE beer with my suite mates at this god forsaken college of alcoholics and overpriced marijuana.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.
PhantomReality

Postby lol, Matt » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

I'm not sure if it was a dream or a daydream, as I was falling asleep (I think) as I thought it. But anyways, I was in a room sitting cross-legged with a girl in my class who I like. We were underneath a quilt, and the lights were off. There was a small television and a window behind it with a soft blue light coming through it. From this I can deduce it must have been a cloudy winter's evening, and we were watching something which I can only assume was a horror movie. We were both drinking hot chocolate out of big mugs which each had a spoon in them. I then thought to myself "Wait a minute, don't these dreams usually lead to sex?" and then we put the hot chocolate down and were about to get to it. I said "I should go get a condom." but she said no, and that she wanted a baby, leading me to believe that in this dream we must have been together for several years, although possibly not married. Just when we were about to start I woke up though.
lol, Matt

PreviousNext

Return to General