IE
2%
Safari
2%

Total votes : 830

Re: Opera, Chrome, Firefox, OR?

Postby legopelle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Opera.

The sleekness and speed of Chrome with the versatility of Firefox. Opera is my standard browser. It's spell check bests chrome/chromium every time.

Second in line is Chromium which is awesome for lazy surfing and video.

And, unwillingly, IE because my webmail is crap.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?
legopelle

Postby OllieGarkey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

Can you ad an option to the poll for me?

Because it depends on my mood and the phases of the moon. I have a complicated algorithm that I use to decide which system I'm using. Usually Firefox or Chrome.

I also have Safari installed for emergency purposes because most viruses aren't written to target apple products.

That's how I got rid of a rootkit once.
OllieGarkey

Postby spupy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Why are you doing this to me, Firefox 4? Why?

I was so comfortable with Chromium/Chrome. Then you release a new version and get all fast and shit on my netbook. Seeding doubt about chrome in my heart.
I really don't want to get back to using Firefox with Vimperator - it was just too perfect.

I must be strong; I must continue believing in Chromium!
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.
spupy

Postby c0smic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:56 am UTC

legopelle wrote:Opera.

The sleekness and speed of Chrome with the versatility of Firefox. Opera is my standard browser. It's spell check bests chrome/chromium every time.

I totally agree with you on this.

Opera rules! If your debating whether or not you should try it, just go for it. It's basically like if Firefox and Chrome had a baby.

Opera is my main browser on all my machines.
c0smic

Postby Dason » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 am UTC

c0smic wrote:Opera rules! If your debating whether or not you should try it, just go for it. It's basically like if Firefox and Chrome had a baby.

Hey. I'm already in a committed relationship with Chrome. Ok I admit I see Firefox on the side. But it would be disgusting to go and 'check out' the baby formed by the union of my significant other and my mistress. That's just wrong.

Plus I've tried Opera in the past and all I took from it was 'meh'.
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby spupy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

c0smic wrote:
legopelle wrote:Opera.

I totally agree with you on this.

Opera rules! If your debating whether or not you should try it, just go for it. It's basically like if Firefox and Chrome had a baby.

Opera is my main browser on all my machines.

Opera 11 is the IMHO the best browser for Android.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.
spupy

Postby hotaru » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

Dason wrote:I couldn't find greasemonkey but it definitely has spell checking and stumbleupon...

http://www.chromium.org/developers/desi ... er-scripts

spupy wrote:Opera 11 is the IMHO the best browser for Android.

i tried it, but it's way too slow to be useable. lately i've been using both dolphin browser mini (for most stuff) and opera mini (for a few things that don't use any javascript).
Code: Select all
uint8_t f(uint8_t n)
{ if (!(
n&1)) return 2;
  if (
n==169) return 13; if (n==121||n==143) return 11;
  if (
n==77||n==91) return 7; if (n==3||n==5) return 0;

n=(n>>4)+(n&0xF); n+=n>>4n&=0xF;
  return (
n==3||n==6||n==9||n==12||n==15)?3:(n==5||n==10)?5:0; } 
hotaru

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

spupy wrote:Opera 11 is the IMHO the best browser for Android.

I've only tried it and the default browser on Honeycomb on my Nook Color, and well, there is no competition there. Opera blows the default browser to itty bitty pieces.
Amnesiasoft

Postby Emu* » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

I switched from the default Android browser to FF4 at the same time I thought "fuck it" and Odin'd my GalaxyS up to Froyo. Think it was FF4b2 or b3 back then.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!
Emu*

Postby |x-x0|<e » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

rekonq. Light, fast, compatible (thanks to webkit) and well integrated with kde. And not tied to a single big company (google). Just a few bugs that need to be ironed out. I wonder what Randall is using?
|x-x0|<e

Postby asiekierka » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Chrome wins for me but i usually use Namoroka. I don't know why.
If you think I deserve it, donate to 1MwkV2P8Vui21mBtMmzEyhWah5eQuXJnWD (bitcoin).

GENERATION 23: The first time you see this, do this:
If the gen number is even, divide it by 2.
If odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1.
Then copy this into your signature.
asiekierka

Postby jendral_hxr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 am UTC

Just between Firefox's Nightly build and Midori
I wish I weren't so stupid
jendral_hxr

Postby avifors » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

I use Firefox because of ad block, mostly. Ive used all of them but Google Chrome, and I like Firefox the best. It is faster than Internet Explorer (the browser I downloaded Firefox to replace.) The others I used did not have nearly as good ad blocking.
avifors

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

Still using Chrome dev on every computer I have. It's obviously a little buggy sometimes, but they're usually good about fixing it in a day or two.
Endless Mike

Postby GenericPseudonym » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

avifors wrote:I use Firefox because of ad block, mostly. Ive used all of them but Google Chrome, and I like Firefox the best. It is faster than Internet Explorer (the browser I downloaded Firefox to replace.) The others I used did not have nearly as good ad blocking.

The same guy who made Adblock Plus for firefox (Wladimir Palant, I believe?) is making a chrome version.
That said, I use firefox because of an addon called pentadactyl (basically just vimperator).
GenericPseudonym

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

GenericPseudonym wrote:The same guy who made Adblock Plus for firefox (Wladimir Palant, I believe?) is making a chrome version.
That said, I use firefox because of an addon called pentadactyl (basically just vimperator).

But chrome addons are fundamentally less powerful than firefox addons because the capabilities chrome provides them are more restricted. IIRC, there's an existing adblock addon for chrome, but it doesn't stop the images from downloading, just from displaying.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!
Meteorswarm

Postby Thirty-one » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
GenericPseudonym wrote:The same guy who made Adblock Plus for firefox (Wladimir Palant, I believe?) is making a chrome version.

But chrome addons are fundamentally less powerful than firefox addons because the capabilities chrome provides them are more restricted. IIRC, there's an existing adblock addon for chrome, but it doesn't stop the images from downloading, just from displaying.

Does anyone know if there's a flashblocking addon that works the same as adblock in that regard? I use Flashblock, but the flash always seems to load before popping up as blocked, then if I hit the play button it instantly plays. What I'd like it to do is not download, then start doing that when I tell it to play.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.
Thirty-one

Postby Kaelri » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Thirty-one wrote:Does anyone know if there's a flashblocking addon that works the same as adblock in that regard? I use Flashblock, but the flash always seems to load before popping up as blocked, then if I hit the play button it instantly plays. What I'd like it to do is not download, then start doing that when I tell it to play.

Chrome has this built-in now. Go to Options > Under the Hood > Privacy > Content Settings > Plugins, and select "Click to Play."
Kaelri

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Kaelri wrote:
Thirty-one wrote:Does anyone know if there's a flashblocking addon that works the same as adblock in that regard? I use Flashblock, but the flash always seems to load before popping up as blocked, then if I hit the play button it instantly plays. What I'd like it to do is not download, then start doing that when I tell it to play.

Chrome has this built-in now. Go to Options > Under the Hood > Privacy > Content Settings > Plugins, and select "Click to Play."

Additionally, I dont' think that addons can do that in chrome; they're sandboxed to the extent that they can't affect scripting or flash external to themselves.

(This is all fairly old memories of talks, though, and may be wrong)
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!
Meteorswarm

Postby Jhackulon » Mon May 02, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

I use Opera for casual browsing as it has a great tab stacking feature, and Firefox for gritty stuffs.

I do not plan to EVER use chrome (note lower case) as it is from the identity thief google.
DID YOU KNOW>>>that because the address bar is combined with the search bar, when you type a web address, it is being sent in real time to google for analysis as part of the auto-complete function?
Jhackulon

Postby phlip » Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

Jhackulon wrote:the identity thief google.

And you of course have evidence to back up that allegation?
Jhackulon wrote:DID YOU KNOW>>>that because the address bar is combined with the search bar, when you type a web address, it is being sent in real time to google for analysis as part of the auto-complete function?

Yes, I did know that it does that unless you turn it off.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby Kaelri » Mon May 02, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Jhackulon wrote:I use Opera for casual browsing as it has a great tab stacking feature, and Firefox for gritty stuffs.

I do not plan to EVER use chrome (note lower case) as it is from the identity thief google.
DID YOU KNOW>>>that because the address bar is combined with the search bar, when you type a web address, it is being sent in real time to google for analysis as part of the auto-complete function?

Yeah. Did you know that when you buy something with your credit card, it gets sent to your credit card company? Who, unlike Google, probably doesn't anonymize data after 18 months? :|

Google uses data to improve search results and provide more relevant advertisements, which is how services like Gmail and YouTube, and Chrome, remain free for me to use. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. I don't trust Google not to abuse that data as much as I trust the Internet to go apeshit and murder Google's stock if they do. Which has happened, and has often been followed by a correction (e.g. changing the Chrome EULA within 24 hours). Google may yet commit some crime that pushes me away, but for now I'm more than comfortable with the arrangement.
Kaelri

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue May 03, 2011 12:29 am UTC

Kaelri wrote:Google may yet commit some crime that pushes me away, but for now I'm more than comfortable with the arrangement.

Does in general making poor products count as a crime? I mean, the only thing of their's I've used that isn't pretty bad is GMail.
Amnesiasoft

Postby Great Justice » Tue May 03, 2011 2:40 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Kaelri wrote:Google may yet commit some crime that pushes me away, but for now I'm more than comfortable with the arrangement.

Does in general making poor products count as a crime? I mean, the only thing of their's I've used that isn't pretty bad is GMail.

I hear they're making some sort of website indexing and searching engine, have you tried it? probably won't be as good as msnsearch.
Spoiler:
is this still 1998?
It usually isn't Congress or the State that tries to abridge free expression or free speech, [...] actually, in the present situation, the main threat to expression comes from public opinion.
~Christopher Hitchens
Great Justice

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue May 03, 2011 6:48 am UTC

Great Justice wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:Does in general making poor products count as a crime? I mean, the only thing of their's I've used that isn't pretty bad is GMail.

I hear they're making some sort of website indexing and searching engine, have you tried it? probably won't be as good as msnsearch.
Spoiler:
is this still 1998?

You and I, we clearly do not search for the same things on Google.
Amnesiasoft

Postby Thirty-one » Tue May 03, 2011 7:34 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Great Justice wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:Does in general making poor products count as a crime? I mean, the only thing of their's I've used that isn't pretty bad is GMail.

Spoiler:
is this still 1998?

You and I, we clearly do not search for the same things on Google.

Do you find them with more ease on competing search engines though?
Thirty-one

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue May 03, 2011 8:02 am UTC

Yes, because the other search engines don't try to "correct" my search nearly as often.
Amnesiasoft

Postby Thirty-one » Tue May 03, 2011 8:13 am UTC

While I agree that that can be annoying, do you think it's a very typical one?
Doesn't it ask in most cases anyway?

Not trying to turn this into Religious Wars: Google vs the world btw, just curious what you use google search for in general.
Personally I rarely use it for anything complicated, and generally don't get suggestions to search for something similar.
Other than search, I just use their mail. I have few problems with that, it's the best free webmail I've tried, but then
it's been years since I tried someone else's.
Thirty-one

Postby Jhackulon » Tue May 03, 2011 11:07 am UTC

there IS evidence

Who, unlike Google, probably doesn't anonymize data after 18 months?

besides the fact that its still 1 and a half years, this function doesn't actually remove the data, look below. and you can still be connected with it too

Code: Select all
What does it mean to anonymize the logs?
We will change some of the bits in the IP address in the logs as well as change the cookie information. We’re still developing the precise technical methods and approach to this, but we believe these changes will be a significant addition to protecting user privacy.

How do these anonymizing measures protect user privacy?
Changing the bits of an IP address makes it less likely that the IP address can be associated with a specific computer or user. Cookie anonymization makes it less likely that a cookie can be used to identify a user.

Do these changes guarantee anonymization?
It is difficult to guarantee complete anonymization, but we believe these changes will make it very unlikely users could be identified.

Does that make you feel safe? it doesn't make me (considering that the SAFE (sarcasm) administrator password in windows can be found in less than a minute (i have done this))

Google may yet commit some crime that pushes me away, but for now I'm more than comfortable with the arrangement.

I also use Gmail (only decent option), but they have committed crimes, depending on weather you class them as such.
For example, did you know that google sells your data to the FBI?

Just something to think about,
Thanks also for letting me have my little rant!
cheers, Jack Allison
Jhackulon

Postby Great Justice » Tue May 03, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Yes, because the other search engines don't try to "correct" my search nearly as often.

They have to wait for google to correct you, then just copy it. Torsoraphy.
It usually isn't Congress or the State that tries to abridge free expression or free speech, [...] actually, in the present situation, the main threat to expression comes from public opinion.
~Christopher Hitchens
Great Justice

Postby AvatarIII » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am UTC

jhnmichle wrote:Google chrome is awesome.

i sometimes get problems with plugins, for ages i was having trouble with Flash in chrome, and the other day i noticed it was having trouble with quicktime, on the whole though, as an every-day browser, it's great.

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Sat May 07, 2011 12:40 am UTC

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
T3CHN0CR4T

Postby Kaelri » Sun May 08, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

...pardon?
Kaelri

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Sun May 08, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

My current avatar.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
T3CHN0CR4T

Postby Dason » Sun May 08, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Hint: The way your screen displays it might not be the way everybody's screen displays it. You put too many "---"s in there so I don't even see the arrow. Also - some people use prosilver_left which puts the avatars on the left.

Kaeiri's initial reaction was essentially my reaction but I didn't care enough to write it.
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Sun May 08, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Dason wrote:Hint: The way your screen displays it might not be the way everybody's screen displays it. You put too many "---"s in there so I don't even see the arrow. Also - some people use prosilver_left which puts the avatars on the left.

Kaeiri's initial reaction was essentially my reaction but I didn't care enough to write it.

Ah, thanks :) Case in point: Firefox ftw! :D

Veni, Vidi, Vici
T3CHN0CR4T

Postby buddy431 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:31 am UTC

I'm using Chrome. I still use Firefox when I need a specific add on (or when using SciFinder, whose molecule drawer doesn't play nicely with chrome). Chrome's just so much faster though. Honestly, I don't mind Google collecting my search data. It lets them give auto-complete suggestions, and it's not like I'm searching for things that I'm worried about anyone knowing.

To be fair to Microsoft, Internet Explorer 9 is actually pretty good. I'm not going to use it myself, but I don't cringe every time I load it when using my parents' computer.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.
buddy431

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Tue May 10, 2011 5:32 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:To be fair to Microsoft, Internet Explorer 9 is actually pretty good. I'm not going to use it myself, but I don't cringe every time I load it when using my parents' computer.

TRAITOR!!!! :shock: lol

I honestly just find Firefox to be so much better than any other browser. Admittedly, Chrome is pretty good but I've just got that whole sentimental thing going with Firefox.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
T3CHN0CR4T

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue May 17, 2011 1:21 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:To be fair to Microsoft, Internet Explorer 9 is actually pretty good. I'm not going to use it myself, but I don't cringe every time I load it when using my parents' computer.

I was an IE9 fan until I realized it didn't have spell-checking, AB+, or Greasemonkey
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby flying sheep » Tue May 17, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
I was an IE9 fan until I realized it didn't have spell-checking, AB+, or Greasemonkey
i developed a webapp, was pleased to see it working in all browsers after completing development only in ff4, until i tried ie9.

everything worked, except the essential part (ie9 apparently can’t handle data:uris properly. way to go “modern” browser)
flying sheep

PreviousNext

Return to Religious Wars