In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Hawknc » Wed May 25, 2011 3:00 am UTC

(This thread is for all the little news articles that might get overlooked in the debates about the big issues and are just worth posting for a bit of a laugh.)

First up: a Queensland woman is offering a reward for catching a wild rat that stole her false teeth.

Spoiler:
An outback Queensland town is offering a reward for a native rat that has stolen a woman's set of false teeth.

Native rat numbers have exploded in parts of western Queensland due to the exceptional wet season.

Stonehenge resident Margaret Pidgeon, south-west of Longreach, says her teeth disappeared from her bedside table and she is certain a rat is to blame.

"When I look up, there's this rat looking at me and I had nothing there to hit him with," she said.

"Anyway, when I went to get my false teeth the next morning, they are not there, they are gone.

"He didn't want my glasses, all he did was take my teeth, the bloody thing.

"He didn't waste his time the bugger, he just wanted my false teeth - probably took them back to his nest to see if he could chew them up.

"Put up a reward, 'wanted dead or alive: rat with false teeth'."

Ms Pidgeon says the reward is light-hearted but it is hard to smile without teeth.

Rat havoc

Other residents say the native rats are chewing their way through everything from walls to hats.

Stonehenge grazier Karen Emmott says she gave up counting after relocating 120 rats.

"They have 12 young every three weeks so there's probably lots more out there," she said.

"They've certainly wreaked havoc in the house.

"They've chewed the nose rest on your glasses, they've chewed those off a pair of glasses, they've eaten the crown off my Akubra hat, which was hanging on a wall.

"They chewed a very large hole into our pantry through a chipboard from underneath the pantry.

"We put a large besser brick to block it and they chewed an archway next to it and just kept coming."

Anyone who's ever kept a pet rat could probably testify to the likelihood of this story being completely true. They are devious little bastards.
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 25, 2011 3:22 am UTC

I like how she woke up in the middle of the night, saw a rat holding her teeth, and said 'meh, nothing I can do' so went back to bed.

But yeah, rats are devious little buggers.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 25, 2011 7:21 am UTC

Maybe it plans to build a human suit that it can use to infiltrate our society?
CorruptUser

Postby Adacore » Wed May 25, 2011 7:24 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Maybe it plans to build a human suit that it can use to infiltrate our society?

Maybe the teeth were the final piece! There could be rat-people walking among us! :shock:
Adacore

Postby sourmìlk » Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 am UTC

Yet another reason to have vuvuzelas.

Apparently they spray germ aerosal more effectively than screaming and shouting and such.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 am UTC

Cartoon Situation Happens In Real Life

A New Zealandarianer fell on a compressed gas hose, and it inflated his buttocks like a balloon. The actual story itself is incredibly painful and squicky:
He said that doctors had told him they were surprised that his skin had not burst, as the compressed air - pumping into his body at 100lb/sq in - had separated fat from muscle.
but it has a chuckle-worthy final paragraph.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby sourmìlk » Wed May 25, 2011 9:40 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Cartoon Situation Happens In Real Life

A New Zealandarianer fell on a compressed gas hose, and it inflated his buttocks like a balloon. The actual story itself is incredibly painful and squicky:
He said that doctors had told him they were surprised that his skin had not burst, as the compressed air - pumping into his body at 100lb/sq in - had separated fat from muscle.

There is nothing about that story that isn't disgusting.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
sourmìlk

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed May 25, 2011 10:04 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:There is nothing about that story that isn't disgusting.

I know what you mean, everytime I even think about New Zealand I feel the nausea rising.

Anyway, have an "awww" story:

Kind-hearted cat adopts baby chicks

... Stupid animals.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.

Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby Роберт » Wed May 25, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Yet another reason to have vuvuzelas.

Apparently they spray germ aerosal more effectively than screaming and shouting and such.

From the link:
We recommend, as a precautionary measure, that people with respiratory infections should be advised not to blow their vuvuzela in enclosed spaces and where there is a risk of infecting others.

What the heck? I recommend that NO ONE blow a vuvuzela in an enclosed space when others are present.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed May 25, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

I recommend that NO ONE blow a vuvuzela.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.

Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby Роберт » Wed May 25, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:I recommend that NO ONE blow a vuvuzela.

I suppose if it's between consenting adults it's okay, but doing it in an enclosed space? Not my taste anyway.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed May 25, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Last edited by Роберт on Wed May 25, 2011 3:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Роберт

Postby The Reaper » Wed May 25, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13520472
Ligers in china being fed by a dog because the tiger wont raise them anymore.
The Reaper

Postby big boss » Wed May 25, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Cartoon Situation Happens In Real Life

I was hoping for a picture
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

Not sure if this shouldnt have its own topic, not sure if it doesnt already...

Flammable tap water, holy fracking hell!
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri
Gellert1984

Postby Angua » Wed May 25, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Israeli couple names child 'Like' after facebook statuses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13417930
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby broken_escalator » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

What happens if you like Like, will he steal your shield or tunic?
Spoiler:
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby Hawknc » Thu May 26, 2011 8:25 am UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:Not sure if this shouldnt have its own topic, not sure if it doesnt already...

Flammable tap water, holy fracking hell!

Finally, water that we might actually be able to power our cars with.
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu May 26, 2011 9:41 am UTC

One of the more suspicious police reports I've seen...
http://updatednews.ca/2011/05/25/assail ... from-fall/
Spoiler:
Orville Smith, a store manager for Best Buy in Augusta, Ga., told police he observed a male customer, later identified as Tyrone Jackson of Augusta, on surveillance cameras putting a laptop computer under his jacket. When confronted the man became irate, knocked down an employee, drew a knife and ran for the door.

Outside on the sidewalk were four marines collecting toys for the Toys for Tots program. Smith said the Marines stopped the man, but he stabbed one of the marines, Cpl. Phillip Duggan, in the back; the injury did not appear to be severe.

After Police and an ambulance arrived at the scene Cpl. Duggan was transported for treatment.

“The subject was also transported to the local hospital with two broken arms, a broken ankle, a broken leg, several missing teeth, possible broken ribs, multiple concussions, assorted lacerations, a broken nose and a broken jaw … injuries he sustained when he slipped and fell off of the curb after stabbing the Marine.” According to a police report.

For some reason the phrase "told police he observed a male customer" is missing from the link, but I added it from a picture I've seen of a newspaper article.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby johnny_7713 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:44 am UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:One of the more suspicious police reports I've seen...
Spoiler:
Orville Smith, a store manager for Best Buy in Augusta, Ga., told police he observed a male customer, later identified as Tyrone Jackson of Augusta, on surveillance cameras putting a laptop computer under his jacket. When confronted the man became irate, knocked down an employee, drew a knife and ran for the door.

Outside on the sidewalk were four marines collecting toys for the Toys for Tots program. Smith said the Marines stopped the man, but he stabbed one of the marines, Cpl. Phillip Duggan, in the back; the injury did not appear to be severe.

After Police and an ambulance arrived at the scene Cpl. Duggan was transported for treatment.

“The subject was also transported to the local hospital with two broken arms, a broken ankle, a broken leg, several missing teeth, possible broken ribs, multiple concussions, assorted lacerations, a broken nose and a broken jaw … injuries he sustained when he slipped and fell off of the curb after stabbing the Marine.” According to a police report.

For some reason the phrase "told police he observed a male customer" is missing from the link, but I added it from a picture I've seen of a newspaper article.

Guess they have really high curbs in Augusta, huh?
johnny_7713

Postby sourmìlk » Thu May 26, 2011 10:01 am UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:Guess they have really high curbs in Augusta, huh?

With jagged rocks at the bottom.
sourmìlk

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 26, 2011 10:08 am UTC

Jagged rocks made of fists.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 am UTC

And combat boots.
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby Kulantan » Thu May 26, 2011 11:01 am UTC

Looks like a combat related accident. Almost as if he fell down a flight of punches.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.
Kulantan

Postby Deep_Thought » Thu May 26, 2011 11:52 am UTC

I am so happy this thread has been posted. Wanted to post this since Monday but it doesn't really deserve an entire thread to itself:

Obama's armoured car defeated by ... speed bump.

Did this make the news in America? Supposedly the Beast has been airlifted back over the Atlantic because the damage is so expensive. Oops.
Deep_Thought

Postby zmatt » Thu May 26, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

yeah it did. Freaking Europeans and their obnoxious "sleeping policemen".
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.
zmatt

Postby sourmìlk » Thu May 26, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote: he fell down a flight of punches.

Somebody needs to make this their signature. Not me, because mine is too busy bragging about how people don't like me.
sourmìlk

Postby The Reaper » Thu May 26, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

The Reaper

Postby Manial » Thu May 26, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Unfortunately, the last paragraph never actually happened.
Manial

Postby sourmìlk » Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Manial wrote:
Spoiler:

D'oh! Also I didn't think snopes was that fast.
sourmìlk

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 26, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

LaserGuy

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 26, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Funny how a lot of the funny news stories involve animals.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 26, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Angua » Thu May 26, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

It's old, but I found it under related stories - two gay penguins rearing a chick (and great for anyone to rebuff gay adoption as unnatural).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8096453.stm
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu May 26, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Manial wrote:
Spoiler:

:(
marine story.jpg

At least I wasn't the only one fooled.
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 27, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

How does a guy clamp the car while the policemen stand next to it, and nobody stops him?
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby broken_escalator » Fri May 27, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

Very sneakily.

Though the article sounds like police vs clamp guy in an ego battle; still it was a good laugh.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri May 27, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Aside from being a generally bad man, Robert Mugabe appears to be excessively protective of his toilet.
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby Eseell » Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Horse herpes outbreak forces rodeo queens to ride stick ponies. This story is SFW, despite any evidence to the contrary.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein
Eseell
George

Next

Return to News & Articles