Terraria

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Terraria

Postby WarDaft » Sat May 28, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

So this one time, I left Terraria minimized for a week while we went away on vacation... and my computer may have suspended itself any number of times only to be awoken by cats...

Took a few seconds to get the sleep out of its eyes, but ended up shaking the whole thing off just fine and is running happily again without restarting.

Alas, I just now realized that I will have to restart it to get the next patch. It's valiance is for naught.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.
WarDaft

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun May 29, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

All shadow gear, and a shaft running straight to hell. Mining hellstone is a nightmare with those goddamn imps, but I guess it's just a matter of time...
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

Imps aren't the real problem. The Bone Serpents are.
Amnesiasoft

Postby Yakk » Sun May 29, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

With my staff of grass and luck, I can kill a bone serpent. With luck.

Two means I mirror out of there ASAP.

Imps? Imps are annoying. Bone serpents are death.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun May 29, 2011 11:58 pm UTC

really? with demonite gear and a phaseblade I've taken down a few. Don't seem to be worth much.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Bakemaster » Mon May 30, 2011 4:01 am UTC

I've discovered that it's much, much easier both to dodge and to kill Bone Serpents in the vicinity of my obsidian farm. I also killed Skeletron after building a long platform on which to kite him back and forth; softened him up with a thousand or so meteorite rounds in the minishark, by which time I had gotten much better at dodging, then finished the job with the Flamarang. After a quick jaunt around the dungeon, and now ready with Muramasa and Water Candle, I dug a shaft to the jungle and built an automatic mob grinder. Took a ton of AFK time before a piece of cobalt dropped, but I have the full set (and double greaves) now.

Still to-do:
- Find some diamond.
- Get more meteorite.
- Make every color of Phaseblade.
- Do a more thorough exploration of the dungeon; make a Necro set just for shiggles.
- Maybe try for a Sunfury from those Bone Serpents.
- Check west side of map for floating islands.
- Generate some new maps for more floating islands.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 30, 2011 7:34 am UTC

The wiki has a design for an obsidian farm that doesn't seem to work for me. The obsidian always pops up in odd locations.

Two molten pickaxes for me and my buddy, hellforge armor set is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine tomorrow.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Yakk » Mon May 30, 2011 10:30 am UTC

How much obsidian do you need?

I just set up a single-level water-and-lava systems, with door-based sluice gates to control the flow of water. It isn't as if there is that much use for obsidian -- a few 100 is enough.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Yakk

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 30, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

I think I'm set on obsidian, it's just annoying to have to run back and forth underwater to collect it.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Yakk » Mon May 30, 2011 4:22 pm UTC

Code: Select all
  LAVA #    o
  LAVA #    --     ##########
  LAVA #    /\     #   |
  LAVA # # # # # # #   | WATER
  LAVA #               |
  LAVA ?               ######
  ######################

Legend:
LAVA = lava, a large-sized lava pool "uphill".
WATER = water, a large-sized water pool "uphill".
# = stone blocks.
| = door, 3 squares tall.
" " blanks = background blocks
? = sometimes a stone block, sometimes not.

To generate obsidian, remove the "?" block and open the | door. Being able to close the water gate is useful so the obsidian "stopper" doesn't flow into the lava chamber.

In order to get more obsidian, simply feed more water into your water tank, and more lava into your lava tank. It is usually pretty easy to make both be ridiculously large.

As I did this near my main mining shaft, I installed doors to trap water "outside" the shaft, and bridged over my shaft when I wanted obsidian.

This gives you above-water, imp-less, arbitrary obsidian production.

Note the "floor with gaps". It actually doesn't need the gaps, because you can just mine through the ground if you want. But the gaps make it look prettier.

My actual obsidian farm was a bit different than the above -- but the above works well.

Yakk

Postby Bakemaster » Mon May 30, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

If you want to go all-out, you can duplicate liquids using a bucket and an incredibly simple stone container/generator construction. That makes infinite obsidian generation a matter only of clicky tedium. Not that anyone needs that much obsidian.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby uncivlengr » Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

Haven't tried taking on the Sketetron guy yet, but decided I wanted the loot in the chests in the dungeon anyway - it's not terribly difficult, I discovered, to simply mine around the outside of the dungeon until you get to one of the chambers with a chest, set up an outpost to respawn from, and just start mining down through the dungeon wall. Of course, Skeletron will start attacking a few seconds later, but you can always get a few blocks through before you get insta-gibbed.

I'm not sure this qualifies as cheating -much more thiefy than knighty, though.
I don't know what to do for you
uncivlengr

Postby Bakemaster » Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

Also, those skulls only gib you during the day. At night they do the same damage as Skeletron's skull, and if you manage to kill one it counts as a Skeletron kill. Though setting it up so that you only have to fight one of them is tough enough that you might as well just kill Skeletron the traditional way.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

Well, full set of molten armor, a molten pickaxe and hamaxe... I can't solo Skeletron yet, but... well... now what?
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon May 30, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

You can totally solo skeltron like that. Just make a bunch of potions and get a decent bow. With that rmour he's not too hard, surely?
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 30, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

Oh, you mean I should have brought more than one potion?
Gosh, it's like planning ahead is sensible and stuff.

I also forgot to set a new spawn point near him, which I realized after he fired up, and felt running back all that way wasn't worth my time.

Want spells, where can I get more?
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Bakemaster » Mon May 30, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Well, full set of molten armor, a molten pickaxe and hamaxe... I can't solo Skeletron yet, but... well... now what?

I had the same feeling. I think a lot of people do. Really, all you need to be able to solo Skeletron is some practice dodging him and a long, flat platform on which to do it. You can outrun his spinning head attack without much trouble. A minishark and lots of ammo, preferably meteorite shot, will do the trick. I think I used four large potions in total (worth noting I had one band of regen equipped).

As far as what else to do, you could try collecting Cobalt pieces since it seems to be the premier caster set. You could look for more floating islands. You could start another world if there's a construction project that interests you. You could look for some multiplayer servers. You could look for PVP. Or you could always put down the game until there's more content.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Deva » Tue May 31, 2011 12:08 am UTC

Found that the spells I have pale in comparison to my weapons. Was a fan of Starfury for earlier bosses, though. Discovered that in a floating island chest. Received Vilethorn from Shadow Orbs. Does little damage for your current needs, however. Can obtain Flower of Fire from the imps in the Underworld. Works exactly like Mario’s Fire Flower power-up. Inflicts two less damage than a Flamarang.

Would think that a Flamarang would be sufficient, if you found an Enchanted Boomerang in an earlier chest. Could create a Star Cannon and gather stars, if you can stand it. Personally used my magnificent Sunfury to squash Skeletron.

Seconds the construction of a platform to suit your fighting style. Simply used a flat platform long enough to outrun his head spin.

Recommends erecting taunting signs all around him, if all else fails. Write insults like "Fights like a cow" and "Practices poor personal hygiene" on them. Could plant sunflowers all around him. Hrm. Or attempt to drown the old man in lava. Wonders if that would do anything.
Changes its form depending on the observer.
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue May 31, 2011 12:15 am UTC

If you kill the old man you can't get skeletron the normal way so you have to fight lots of skulls at once to be able to get into the dungeon.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 31, 2011 4:51 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:If you kill the old man you can't get skeletron the normal way so you have to fight lots of skulls at once to be able to get into the dungeon.

He should respawn in a couple of days, allowing you to do it properly.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue May 31, 2011 11:55 am UTC

Ah good, that's new.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby BurningLed » Tue May 31, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

So it took me three meteorites to realize that I could mine them with dynamite and sticky bombs, which is thousands of times easier than using the Nitemare pickaxe.

On the bright side, one dynamite and a few sticky bombs make it way, way easier than it used to be.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.
BurningLed

Postby Yakk » Tue May 31, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

Random: aerial causeways waste meteors.

Yakk

Postby Bakemaster » Tue May 31, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

They do indeed, but as they are so very useful and much, much easier to construct and more useful generally than subterranean ones, I've resigned myself to generating worlds specifically for meteorite. Run around, smash all orbs, farm. That's the plan, anyway. I don't really need *that* much of the stuff.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby BurningLed » Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I don't really need *that* much of the stuff.

This guy ->

Likes his meteor shot and likes the minishark.

:(
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
BurningLed

Postby Bakemaster » Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

I detect a heathen forum skin.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

What happens when a meteorite hits an aerial pathway?
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby Deva » Tue May 31, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

Replaces the pathway’s blocks for meteorite blocks, I believe. Does not contain a set number of ore in it. Strikes and changes an area into the ore. Results in a meager amount of ore since there are only twenty or so blocks in the blast radius to alter.
Deva

Postby uncivlengr » Tue May 31, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:What happens when a meteorite hits an aerial pathway?

Drastically reduces the amount of meteroite ore you can mine, since there are fewer blocks to be converted to meteroite ore.
uncivlengr

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:21 am UTC

I've had it happen two or three times; impacted on wood platforms. It outright destroys a rough radius of blocks around the center of the impact so it made a great big hole in my platforms and turned about 8 or so on either side to meteorite blocks. Doesn't create any blocks. Well under the volume of meteorite required to spawn meteor heads, so at least what's there is super easy to mine... But I still much prefer a nice solid area to dynamite.

I found a Blue Moon and I'm loving it. Makes Eater of Worlds a cakewalk and not too bad vs. Skeletron either. Also picked up Water Bolt (more impressive than I expected), Aqua Scepter (lol, fun but not too potent), and Handgun which I have yet to craft into a sexy Phoenix Blaster. Still looking for diamond to complete my Phaseblade collection.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

Damnit I wish I could find a gun... haven't actually played since last week, though.

I did manage to grab a Muramasa from a chest in the dungeon, which is a great melee weapon - unlike the other swords you have to mouseclick for each swing, this one swings repeatedly (fast) with 22 damage.
uncivlengr

Postby BurningLed » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Damnit I wish I could find a gun... haven't actually played since last week, though.

I did manage to grab a Muramasa from a chest in the dungeon, which is a great melee weapon - unlike the other swords you have to mouseclick for each swing, this one swings repeatedly (fast) with 22 damage.

Shadow orbs are great for finding the musket needed to spawn the arms dealer. If you've exhausted all of them in your current world though, I can lend you mine to spawn him with.
BurningLed

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

So, I only recently got this game.. not even a week, I think... and was rocking an iron breastplate, copper pants, an iron broadsword, vile powder and fricken Goggles... and I took down the Eater of Worlds.

Is... is that normal? Is the Eater supposed to kinda be a pushover? Or was my fabulous Tower on which I fought him so awesome that he tied from the sheer awe of it? I mean, don't get me wrong, it did get tricky when I split him in half and then one of the halves into thirds, but overall... kinda.... underwhelming.

Also, there's the Merchant, Nurse, Dryad, Demolitionist, Arms Dealer and Guide.. am I missing any NPCs?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Deva » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:So, I only recently got this game.. not even a week, I think... and was rocking an iron breastplate, copper pants, an iron broadsword, vile powder and fricken Goggles... and I took down the Eater of Worlds.

Is... is that normal? Is the Eater supposed to kinda be a pushover? Or was my fabulous Tower on which I fought him so awesome that he tied from the sheer awe of it? I mean, don't get me wrong, it did get tricky when I split him in half and then one of the halves into thirds, but overall... kinda.... underwhelming.

Also, there's the Merchant, Nurse, Dryad, Demolitionist, Arms Dealer and Guide.. am I missing any NPCs?

Seems fairly impressive to me. Points out that Vile Powder is effective against it. Guesses that the tower you created was the most beneficial, without knowing precisely how you fought. Found that worm-like creatures will travel directly up a single block column of material (provided that you are almost directly at the end of said column). Forces them to spurt straight up from your structure. May not even have the speed necessary to leave the material completely, causing it to hang there. Gives you ample time to smash a section into gooey bits.

Believes that is the full set of NPCs that will deign themselves to live in your houses.
Deva

Postby Goldstein » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

I find it pretty hard to say. The first boss I killed was the Eye of Cthulhu and I had a hard time doing it. With more or less the same gear, I took on Eater of Worlds and was similarly unimpressed, but it's easy to lose sight of how much the gear helps you out, and I wasn't really fighting it in my vest and pants as you were. I think the Eater of Worlds is an easier boss, but I read somewhere that the Eye is generally considered the easiest. I guess it depends on heal potions - if you weren't going through them with a real thirst then I reckon you did really well. It could also be that the tower you'd designed gave you good advanced warning for the Eater of Worlds' attacks, and if that's the case then you're doing it right and probably deserved an easy fight.

SecondTalon wrote:Also, there's the Merchant, Nurse, Dryad, Demolitionist, Arms Dealer and Guide.. am I missing any NPCs?

Spoiler:
I think that's it.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom
Goldstein

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

Yeah, the tower's more of a building.. about as wide as it is tall, and allowed for me to see the bastard coming, so I could move out of the way and then smack the sections as it roared past. If I was underground, it would have torn me to pieces without slowing down.

And I did die a time or two, but my tower is also my spawnpoint, so the boss didn't despawn... don't know if that's intentional or not. But still, for something that's supposed to be a boss, it wasn't much more difficult than five or six Eater of Souls, just far more time consuming.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Goldstein » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

I think I read that when you summon Eater of Worlds, you can only do so in the Corruption; a land of massive holes in the ground. I wonder if it was the designers' intention for you to fight it there and the possibility of recalling was missed somehow. I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to fight it whilst balancing on a precipice in the Corruption.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom
Goldstein

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

Most likely. I summoned it, it insta-killed me, I spawned at my tower and it followed me there. Maybe I just brokeded the game?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:29 pm UTC

I would guess that the best structure for the eater of souls would be a large platform with enough open space underneath to see it coming, yeah.

Alternatively, I've tried defeating it with dynamite - throw a stick where it's probably going to land, and it will easily take out a few sections in a single blast. It doesn't work as well when it breaks into smaller pieces, though.
uncivlengr

Postby Yakk » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

My tower is a set of wooden platforms, one jump apart, with stone walls. There are also doors (which happen to be half-way up), and torches mounted on the outer walls. The outer walls are a bit less than a screen apart (really, I should have made them a screen apart).

Both the eye and eater are relatively easy in this structure. (The eye I still use the shuriken-spam trick).

If you fight the eater "in the corruption", you'll be far worse off.

I actually mirror my way home when I spawn the eater, then run over to my battle-tower. It takes the eater a while to travel, which I find amusing. :)

Yakk

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming