The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: DISCUSSION THREAD/Gojoe canNEVER be trusted

Postby Elvish Pillager » Fri May 27, 2011 11:09 am UTC

Resistance:
Spoiler:
Poor town, making logic fail after logic fail... :twisted:
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri May 27, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Resistance:
Spoiler:
Nooooo two Strong Leader plot powers :(

Now I don't know if I wanna No-Confidence BigNose's mission. cjdrum would have to be really stupid to not take control of Mission 5 and its plot powers.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri May 27, 2011 11:34 am UTC

Resistance:
Spoiler:
Actually, given Lataro and Mav are both claimed spies, the optimal team for mission 4 (from the resistance perspective) is Ibarra, Chandani and two of cjdrum, GoP and BigNose. It shouldn't make any difference, but at least if you include the one remaining spy in the mission you give them the possibility of screwing up and giving town the game.

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Resistance:
Spoiler:
Actually, given Lataro and Mav are both claimed spies, the optimal team for mission 4 (from the resistance perspective) is Ibarra, Chandani and two of cjdrum, GoP and BigNose. It shouldn't make any difference, but at least if you include the one remaining spy in the mission you give them the possibility of screwing up and giving town the game.

Resistance:
Spoiler:
But with both of them on the team, they wouldn't automatically know who failed it.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

Resistance @EP:
Spoiler:
Oh right, yeah, I'm an idiot. They should only take one of Chandani or Ibarra. In which case the not-mission-2 team is one of the two optimal teams. Silly me.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri May 27, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

Resistance:

Spoiler:
If I count correctly, the remaining plot powers that could be assigned for M5 are...

OM x2
NC x1
OC x1
KCEOY x1
ITS x1
EC x1
OU x1

So long as town does not get OU, we stand a chance. OU is an instant loss.

I can't believe we actually stand a chance even... We should have won this game on M3 if Chand hadn't had her head in the clouds.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri May 27, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Crush Nightless:

Spoiler:
Can MP post and vote already so I can win? :P

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri May 27, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

Scummer:
Spoiler:
Chizuko is a more productive player than some of you people. And she's a robot. Who hasn't talked to me in ages because Fang's effectively dropped out.

CHIZUKOOOOOOO

DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE, WE HAVE SO LITTLE TIME LEFT TO SPEND TOGETHER

CHIZUKOOOOOOOOOO

dotproduct

Postby dotproduct » Sat May 28, 2011 1:31 am UTC

Crush Nightless needs a replacement. PM me if you can replace in.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Sat May 28, 2011 2:33 am UTC

Crush Nightless:

Spoiler:
Fuck.

If MP is replaced, this might not be in the bag, that'll suck.

If MP is modkilled, assuming there is no secodary votes used, it'll be a completely deadlock lynch, and it'll go to random.

Most importantly though, the fact that modkill is on the table I think completely screws my argument, as if he were the target, modkilling him would be impossible without either ending it in lyncher win, or screwing the lyncher completely. The fact that dotproduct has said he might be mod killed could easily be taken as modly confirmation that he isn't the target, in which case most of my argument against webby is completely sunk.

I think if MP doesn't get back and vote as he indicated before, I could very easily end up screwed. Damn it, why couldn't he have at least been useful enough to vote before he did absolutely nothing else, this game would be over and in the bag...

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Sun May 29, 2011 6:36 am UTC

...the gunpowder treason...

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun May 29, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

Entropy wrote:...the gunpowder treason...

For November?
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Sun May 29, 2011 10:09 pm UTC

...should ever be made into a forum Mafia game.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon May 30, 2011 8:11 am UTC

Crush:

Spoiler:
Yay, mod decided the game. :roll:

Either it goes to coin flip, in which case, the mod effectively decides the game, or a new lynch target is picked, and the game pretty much ends since all the cards are on the table.

I'm taking this as a personal victory, since MP would of voted webby if he hadn't dropped and been mod killed. I wash my hands of the actual game though, it'll either be a coin flip or they'll decide to collectively lynch me. All my cards were down and I was pushing an angle that demanded webby to be a lyncher for MP to stay above the radar, now it's over though.

What a blah ending.

John Citizen

Postby John Citizen » Mon May 30, 2011 9:34 am UTC

Crush Nightless:
Spoiler:
Wow, webby's the target? And Lataro the lyncher? I'm not exactly sure why I keep reading webby as scummy (it was an honest read, I really did think he was the lyncher). Oh well. Now, it appears, my task is much harder. While the lynch is between myself and webby, there is absolutely no chance of me winning. If it's between Lataro and mpolo, I may just stand a chance. So I'm trying to use probabilities to lead it that way, but I might run out of time.
"Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation"
yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

ElectricHaze

Postby ElectricHaze » Mon May 30, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

Apparently none of my replacements for wizardry can actually replace in, so if anyone can take a spot in wizardry please send me a PM as soon as possible. Thank you.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

webby

Postby webby » Mon May 30, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

Crush Nightless:
Spoiler:
Well this is interesting. I hadn't thought about it until just then, but the godfather really doesn't want the lyncher lynched unless the lyncher is Lataro. And I just realised mpolo put forward Lataro as who he'd be willing to vote for. (Actually, I just realised that might be in self-defence - JC was talking of Lataro or mpolo obviously being the best lynches.)

I still have no idea who is what, but it definitely seems plausible that mpolo is the godfather. If I'm right, I may as well flip a coin over whether Lataro or John Citizen is the lyncher. :P

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon May 30, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Maff Effect still needs replacements... he posted without great hope.

We've got a problem. Signups aren't filling, games are running slowly, many replacements are being needed, regular players are dropping out. Thoughts?
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Mon May 30, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

I haven't signed up for more games because nothing really has stuck out for me for flavour.
I don't know why peoples are dropping out: they're tired? They need a break? Life? I think it just happens at time... go back through the past games and see how many people have stayed.

Hopefully people will come back soon...

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon May 30, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:We've got a problem. Signups aren't filling, games are running slowly, many replacements are being needed, regular players are dropping out. Thoughts?

Something I had brought up before... at least some players seem to be drastically over-committing themselves due to how the game scheduling works (with games starting whenever they happen to fill up, which can be anywhere from days to months after signups start).

What I had proposed at the time was to instead schedule games to start on a specific date, and then if minimum signups aren't met by that date, rescheduling them again for a future date. That way, everyone knows exactly when a game is going to start (and can drop out if need be after a reschedule but before the game starts).

This would also address the issue of players who sign up, hoping the game to start in a week, and then completely lose interest (or run into availability problems) when it doesn't start until 2-3 weeks later.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

As far as game stagnation, I fully blame mods myself. I am a firm believer in strict deadlines given in advance, and days limited to a week or, at the absolute most in larger games, two weeks. Lets just look at the worst offender here. Scummer had an over 1 month long D1. OVER ONE FREAKING MONTH LONG FOR A SINGLE GAME DAY! There is absolutely no reason to let a day drag on that long. In general wide open deadlines are one of the biggest killer of games IMO. As for games failing to get signups, I think mods need to be willing to take less than they ask for. Again, Scummer was kind of an example for this, having a nearly two month long sign up time. Personally, my next couple games I have in the queue (micro pyp, and a turbo) are free-form enough game ideas to work with any number of players, provided more than three, which is where I'd cancel the game flat out.

Near as I recall, everyone hyped the start of summer/end of school as a time when numbers around here would pick up. I'm not seeing it. As I said before somewhere else, a number of new people that come around here to play end up leaving after a game or two, or sign up then never actually play once it starts. Long sign ups does contribute to this I think, and time limits for all game sizes for how long they can be in signups before the mod either cancels the game, or runs with the numbers they have would be a good thing IMO, though it seems kinda resisted here. I think the biggest factor here is that you come up with this idea you really want to run with, and when it doesn't pick up steam, after all your time spent waiting, mods let it sit forever hoping that their game will run, rather than being willing to modify it. I think something that may help here is for mods to have a backup plan ready to go for any game they run.

For example, say it's a medium game, and you think you'll need 18 people for the setup you want to do. Before your game is even in the queue, have a plan for 15 people, then make one for 12 people, then make one for 10 people, and so forth. This way, if after a week or two you don't get the numbers you need, you are able to run SOMETHING, even if the idea is different from your original concept. If people did this, combined with reasonable game day length restrictions, the queues would go faster for everyone, and it wouldn't seem like such a loss, if and when your game fails to run or get the numbers needed for an idea.

As I said though, people seem to be against such ideas, as limiting game day lengths, or limiting sign up time, and the system clogs as a result. As for the other problem, where we seem to have negative population growth, in the form of new people not sticking around, and old people vanishing never to be seen again, I'm sure there are factors there that lead to this. It can't simply be that it's a bad time for EVERYONE at the same time, that just seems far less likely than some other factor that might be identified.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon May 30, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

on that note:
Marvel Vs Capcomafia is now in signups
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Krong

Postby Krong » Mon May 30, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

Some of it might just be burnout, too. I just had a stretch where I was scum in 3 games at once (Inception, Dethy, and AC)... and that freaking wears on you. Especially considering all the extra writing for Inception, and the fact that AC was two threads at once.... yeah. I would have pretty gladly taken some time off if I wasn't looking forward to / signed up for Homestar Scummer... and then at that point, I figured 2 games isn't much different from one, so I replaced in to Maff Effect.

I do think that this time of year isn't good in terms of games that straddle the school-year / summer divide... people often don't have a good idea of just what their time commitments will be. I don't feel like we've been plagued too much recently with the type of person who signs up for their first game and never really plays... it's really more of regulars who have been dropping, and we don't have people itching to fill the void.

Also, FYI: We only have one medium running right now, and no one's even really noticed. Should be a sign of the current activity levels, right there. (And please let's not take this as a sign we need to reshuffle the queue, either.)

I probably shouldn't talk about H*R unless it's in a spoiler, so (REMEMBER NOT TO READ, ACTIVE PLAYERS):

Homestar Scummer:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I've lost a lot of my motivation to play this thing already. But because I'm scum, and have actually managed to get people to think I'm town, and we may have lost an SK... I'll probably be here awhile.

Really, I shouldn't have to ask for a deadline three times in the course of a week in order to get a response. Heck, I shouldn't have to ask at all.

I think Lataro's right that the mods haven't been willing to recognize that they just don't have the number of players they want. Signups went so long because of this... I don't doubt that some of the day length was due to them hoping they had replacements coming. Heck, I LOVE this flavor and want it to be a great game, but... at a certain point, waiting just kills what you've got. How many people signed up for this months and months ago and just weren't available when it started?

As far as flexibility for multiple quantities of player goes... I think one way to do that is to balance for your preferred number, then make a list of what you're willing to cut at each level below. Maybe from 18 to 15, you kill off your independent mason-survivor faction... but if you can do 17, maybe that jester's unnecessary. Things like that. Plus, there are really very few setups that are so fragile that the loss/addition of a single townie destroys the balance.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Mon May 30, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

Was wondering about DFMafia...

And, burnout might be helped if people were to sign up for fewer games at once, in general - would lead to more focused interest on the games in progress, and hopefully lead to the overall queue cycling through faster (due to faster action in individual games, despite fewer games probably being able to really run at once). Not that I'm really one to talk, playing in 4 simultaneously (1 cancelled) and working on throwing something together to mod one...
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon May 30, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

Krong wrote:Some of it might just be burnout, too. I just had a stretch where I was scum in 3 games at once (Inception, Dethy, and AC)... and that freaking wears on you.

This is somewhat the kind of thing I was referring to with over-committing.

----

Also, maybe it's just me, but it feels sort of like the recent trend has been to go so far out of the way to make crazy flavor games that the actual Mafia gameplay starts to fall by the wayside - the analysis, reading people, judging based off play styles and not how they react to some crazy/unusual mechanics.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon May 30, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

I agree with both Lataro and Aaeriele. We've got to remember, as mods, that the games aren't for the mods, they're for the players. If 32 players don't want to play UberAwesomeFlavour6, then run it as a different game with the 14 that signed up, and perhaps think about stripping back on the UberFlavour, or drop it. I think we've been lacking in large non-flavour games (not vanilla, just not themed) - stuff like Amy's games, AS's SMCM, even Pokemafia which had very little flavour. The only thing we've really got like that at the moment is Wizardry, and that's awesome, but complicated, so isn't everyone's cup of tea.

All games should have a deadline on Days - it doesn't have to be turbo, just something like 10-14 days maximum is fine for a medium-large game, but you do need something. As I (and others) have said, long Days are pro-town, for a number of reasons, thus there needs to be some way to force Days to end, otherwise they can go on forever because nobody wants to be the scummy player who pushes for a lynch.

I will add (again) that I just don't think games with many more than 20-22 players are ever worthwhile. Games with more players than this take too long in signups, they take too long to play, they encourage lurking and bad play (it's very, very hard to analyse everyone in a game with more than 15-20 people) and - while they can have great endgames - tie up a big proportion of our player base in a generally demotivating way.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Tue May 31, 2011 12:14 am UTC

As for burnout, I can definitely see that, for many reasons. It's not just over-committing though IMO. Personally, I'm burned out from having my reputation, which often puts me in a position where I can't defend myself really from an accusation, for example, see Wizardry. I know others have that problem here as well, most notably, I'm fairly sure that's Amy's reason for being MIA. I know Mav is starting to have that issue where if she survives til D2 or D3 people use that against her, not that she does in general. I'm not sure EP's reason, but from a scum perspective, he's a very strong choice for the NK since he's so good at crunching the numbers and finding the best town strats.

I know it's not reasonable to expect to have your past performance ignored, but it does seem like for a few people here, they have to deal with it quite a bit. Speaking for myself, it does make the game less fun, regardless of your alignment, when you feel like you've got extra attention staring you down because you're type-cast one way or another, and that has led to me getting quite annoyed and taking a break to cool my heels on the matter. I seem to recall Amy some time back around GGL or maybe the game she played before mentioning that she takes months off at a time hoping that people will for get about her reputation so that she can actually enjoy a game, and that's kinda exactly how it is. Being "too good" at one role or another kinda sucks. :P

I'm not sure how many others might fall into that category among those who've been around awhile, but it seems like a big a source of burnout as any other. As to the over committing to games... I'd have to agree with Adacore on my preferred game sizes. Personally if it were up to me and I was the king of the mafia forums, I'd remove the large queue completely. I think mediums are about the biggest I'll really play here, but the problem always comes back to too many people saying they enjoy the larger games. I think the real solution here is obviously to have more active players on the forums, as for how to achieve that goal, well, that's always the golden question. Around here, it's become almost expected to see the same few names in most every game run here, and I think that is a huge strike against us personally. With too little variety, the games seem to stagnate, we need to see a lot more new faces to prevent this issue IMO.

As for set deadlines for sign ups and max day lengths for games, I've been thinking that's an issue we've needed to address for awhile. If people are opening up to that idea, then perhaps we should make a poll on the subject. Leaving it open-ended doesn't seem to be working, and as pointed out by Adacore, I am one of the louder voices in the discussion that longer game days=very pro town. It seems to be that the argument against deadlines is that it "forces town to make a decision" doesn't seem very valid. Without any real forces pushing town to make a final choice, the game will drag, because as mentioned above, even suggesting that the lynch should go forward is seen as anti-town, and no one wants to do that.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue May 31, 2011 2:24 am UTC

Wizardry:
Spoiler:
It occurs to me that I should've claimed receiving a potion, but that would hardly be believable now. Ah well, missed opportunity.

I was just about to make a post accusing infina of being scum when GoP made his, so... I'm highly tempted to just throw in a vote.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue May 31, 2011 5:07 am UTC

Sheriff:
Spoiler:
Predictions:
Boomfrog - Hunter
Webby - Doc
Aaeriele - Vig
tinman - Vanilla
Misnomer - Cop

Not expected to survive the night. Was thinking of targetting Webby myself, to prevent the hunter from getting any information.

Sorry llamanaru.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 am UTC

cjdrum wrote:Crush Nightless:
Spoiler:
Lataro wrote:I can see him (cjdrum) making a bad play like that

Thanks, Lataro. Appreciate it.

(it is true, but that's beside the point)

Hehe, didn't mean anything by it, it just advanced my position to say it. No offense! :P

Mavketl wrote:Crush Nightless:
Spoiler:
Lataro wrote:I think it is more likely you are just unhelpful useless town, unfortunately.

Two pages, one line. That is not content, there is nothing of value in what you have posted. I'm going to stop here before I say something unkind...
Oh, Lataro. :P

Yeah... I figured calling him out on it would buy me a vote from someone on webby, and what call out is complete without a little flair? :twisted:

I figured MP's vote was in the bag against webby, regardless of the situation.

Krong

Postby Krong » Tue May 31, 2011 5:54 am UTC

Fix those spoiler tags...

EDIT: Nevermind, game is over. Duh. :D
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Tue May 31, 2011 1:31 pm UTC

Wizardry:
Spoiler:
I'm glad the lynch is going infina's way (I'm rooting for town in this game, or maybe a sorcerer - that depends on who the sorcs are), but the logic is kind of weak. How come nobody's jumped on infina explicitly for saying they should use the obvious wine list?

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

What's in signups right now?

Could get back into playing, after much less time out than I thought, but I'm not really feeling like replacing into anything, sorry guys.

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Tue May 31, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

Arr! The Sailors of Sea Nine is now in signups!

It uses the "Sea Nine" setup:
3 Average Sailors
2 Cursed Sailors
2 from the set {Curse Seeker, Curse Blocker, Average Sailor, Average Sailor}

For those who don't know the pirate sailin' lingo here:
Average Sailor == Vanilla Town
Cursed Sailor == Mafia Goon
Curse-Seeker == Cop
Curse-Blocker == Doctor

Join... Or you'll be walkin' the plank!
:shock:

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:19 am UTC

Wizardry:
Spoiler:
New plan: make myself seem so obviously like a townie power role that the scum second-guess themselves and try to kill someone else, thinking I must either be bluffing, protected, or both.

Maybe I'll get myself killed D1 as town for the first time ever? :lol:

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:25 am UTC

cjdrum wrote:It uses the "Sea Nine" setup
Well done.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:19 am UTC

Wizardry:
Spoiler:
Vigenère cipher? Seriously?

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:14 am UTC

Sheriff Of Nottingham (Players can not read):
Spoiler:
Our (veteran) scum are having their asses handed to them by a bunch of newbies. The vig's killing the goon, the doc's protecting one of the two NK targets, and the tracker has found another town power role. If (as they're considering), they use the AP kill tonight on the protected target (who, incidentally, is vanilla town doing an extremely good job of smokescreening - the RB targetted him N1), a massclaim pretty much guarantees a town win: one scum and five unique town roles: lynch one double claim, vig the other. The safest falseclaim is therefore vig, but our real vig has a huge amount of town-cred.

If I didn't trust google's security and my players, I'd be worried someone was secretly distributing my modnotes.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:06 am UTC

I know I'm pretty new here, but I think I agree with everything Lataro has said. Especially flexible setups and fixed length days/nights. One more idea would be to start the game with a set number of backups. So if 12 people sign up then run a 10 person game with 2 replacements waiting, since it seems every game needs at least one or two replacements.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Wizardry:
Spoiler:
Incidentally, the cypher infina linked still isn't as secure as the scum-chat PMs should be - with enough intercepts it's possible to crack a vigenere cypher in a timespan feasible for a mafia game Day. There are online encryption tools that utilize proper crypto codes like 256 bit AES. It's not even that hard to find them.

In fact, I really hope they do write some nice, long, beefy PMs with a vigenere cypher (which we then intercept), so I can have a crack at breaking them. An evening or two of frequency analysis with a tangible reward for breaking a cypher? Sounds like fun!

Return to “Mafia”