Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby DRWS » Fri May 20, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Couldn't help but notice only one Leviathan made the list, though. No love for the Baltic Porter?

I was fortunate enough to be the only person at a tasting at the Harpoon brewery, and I got to try 9 of their beers there, but only one was a Leviathan. Their beers averaged a low enough rating that I choose to get beers from other breweries when I am buying. They gave me the expectation that I will not enjoy a Harpoon beer very much, even though I did really like the Leviathan that I tried (and their White). I will keep an eye out now for the Leviathan Baltic Porter.
DRWS

Postby Belial » Sun May 22, 2011 6:01 am UTC

It is pretty fucking tasty.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby netcrusher88 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:17 am UTC

Yeah so uh... Back in Black Stout Fest (great name) at Brouwer's. I wound up sick afterwards but it was so worth it. Five beers I drank, one of them is technically a porter but whatever.

Avery Mephistopheles: Lives up to everything I expected of it. Great stout, a little bit sweet, darkly bitter.

Deschutes Abyss (Reserve RIS), 2008: I'm going to go with what I said on twitter: words cannot describe the culinary orgasm that is this beer. It's chocolatey, it's malty, it's bitter... think of Baker's semisweet chocolate, but beer. Just goddamn amazing.

Stone RIS, probably late 2010 (current batch): I cannot in good conscience compare this to The Abyss because they're just such different approaches to RIS, so I think they're both my favorite stout. Pitch black, bitter, in-your-face malt, everything I remember about that fourth beer I'd ever had but so much better because it's on tap and I know good beer now.

Deschutes Black Butte XX (Reserve Oak-aged, espresso-and-cacao-nibs adjunct Imperial Porter), 2008: Much like the '08 Abyss, I had a glass of this last year. Much like the '08 Abyss, it has only improved with time. Not quite sure how to describe this. It's Black Butte with the metallic edge aged off, and this tiny hint of mocha rounding out the base. Also a new top note I can't quite identify but it does have that coffee-cacao character.

Sierra Nevada Empire Strikes Black, current batch: a respectable stout. Not much more to say about it. It's definitely a Sierra Nevada - comfortable, enjoyable, unoffensive. Not particularly exciting but hey, it's a good stout.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears
netcrusher88

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu May 26, 2011 3:29 am UTC

So, I recently had the good fortune to try Harpoon's Session 36 of the 100 Barrels Series, the Island Creek Oyster Stout. I completely loved it. Unfortunately, it's a limited release, and the Wegman's in my area seems to be out of stock. Can anyone recommend something similar? I think what I like about it was the savory taste, I haven't experienced that in beers much.

Also, tonight I had something called simply "Terrible" from Unibroue. It was quite good. Sweet like a Belgian ale (I guess it should be, it's a Belgian Dark Ale) and a little fruity. Very dark. Sort of caramely and raisiny. But, goddamn, one glass and I was definitely unfit to drive. I guess 10.5% will do that to ya. The last Belgian style I tried was Three Philosophers, and I loved that. I think I may be a fan of this style. Also, I just found out you can buy Three Philosophers from Wegman's in a six pack of smaller bottles. Fantastic!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Garm » Fri May 27, 2011 2:43 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:So, I recently had the good fortune to try Harpoon's Session 36 of the 100 Barrels Series, the Island Creek Oyster Stout. I completely loved it. Unfortunately, it's a limited release, and the Wegman's in my area seems to be out of stock. Can anyone recommend something similar? I think what I like about it was the savory taste, I haven't experienced that in beers much.

Also, tonight I had something called simply "Terrible" from Unibroue. It was quite good. Sweet like a Belgian ale (I guess it should be, it's a Belgian Dark Ale) and a little fruity. Very dark. Sort of caramely and raisiny. But, goddamn, one glass and I was definitely unfit to drive. I guess 10.5% will do that to ya. The last Belgian style I tried was Three Philosophers, and I loved that. I think I may be a fan of this style. Also, I just found out you can buy Three Philosophers from Wegman's in a six pack of smaller bottles. Fantastic!

I've like most of what I've had from Unibroue. It's all super strong tho' so I rarely drink their beer.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK
Garm

Postby Azrael » Fri May 27, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

Nah, Blonde and Blanche de Chambly are both 5%. Ephemere is 5.5 and Noir is 6.2.

... and you should drink lots of Noir de Chambly. It's pretty awesome.
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:33 am UTC

I got my growler filled today with Stone's 2011 Imperial Russian Stout and I'm in beer heaven. Seems a lot more bourbon-y than previous releases, though that may just be because it hasn't had time to mellow since it's such a fresh release.

The version with anise and Belgian yeast is great too, the licorice flavor reminds me of The Abyss which is probably my favorite RIS. I'm not sure which I prefer, but I'd recommend both.
TheAmazingRando

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

In Germany. Too many pilsners. Butts.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Start asking for Dunkels and Altbiers. They'll have them, just might be in bottles instead of on tap. I remember Konig Ludwig Dunkel being nice.

Also, depending on where you are there's this somewhat regional schnapps called Korn. Try it. Now.
Azrael

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:23 am UTC

I believe I saw Korn on a menu yesterday, so I will try to grab one while I'm in this region.
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby Garm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Start asking for Dunkels and Altbiers. They'll have them, just might be in bottles instead of on tap. I remember Konig Ludwig Dunkel being nice.

Also, depending on where you are there's this somewhat regional schnapps called Korn. Try it. Now.

I had Konig Ludwig Dunkel in a gasthaus in a town outside of Schwangau (where Neuschwanstein, King Ludwig's castle, is). It was on draft and it was amazing. For a while they were importing Konig Ludwig Weissbier to Boulder but no more. :(

All the beer I brewed recently has turned out yucky. I think I let it sit in the carboy for too long. That's what I get for not ignoring my kid... Bunch of shitty beer. Actually half of it isn't even beer. It's just gross. :(
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK
Garm

Postby Dream » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Azrael wrote:I remember Konig Ludwig Dunkel being nice.

Is it? I've only had the hefe, and that tasted like artificially sweetened banana juice. Schneider Aventinus is probably my dark wheat beer of choice. High alcohol, but very drinkable.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.
Dream
WINNING

Postby uncivlengr » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:10 am UTC

Garm wrote:All the beer I brewed recently has turned out yucky. I think I let it sit in the carboy for too long. That's what I get for not ignoring my kid... Bunch of shitty beer. Actually half of it isn't even beer. It's just gross. :(
Ah, too bad. Have you ever taken a bottle to your homebrew supplier? I had a bad one two batches ago (wheat beer ended up tasting like ginger ale) and I mentioned it to my guy when I went in to get the latest recipe. He told me I should have saved a bottle and brought it in, so he could try to determine why it didn't work out. I was so frsutrated/ashamed that it turned out badly that I had just got rid of it as quickly as possible, but next time I'll be taking it in for a second opinion.
I don't know what to do for you
uncivlengr

Postby Garm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:
Garm wrote:All the beer I brewed recently has turned out yucky. I think I let it sit in the carboy for too long. That's what I get for not ignoring my kid... Bunch of shitty beer. Actually half of it isn't even beer. It's just gross. :(
Ah, too bad. Have you ever taken a bottle to your homebrew supplier? I had a bad one two batches ago (wheat beer ended up tasting like ginger ale) and I mentioned it to my guy when I went in to get the latest recipe. He told me I should have saved a bottle and brought it in, so he could try to determine why it didn't work out. I was so frsutrated/ashamed that it turned out badly that I had just got rid of it as quickly as possible, but next time I'll be taking it in for a second opinion.

I still have the whole batch, less the bottles I've opened. I'm sort of hoping that a little aging will magically turn it into amazing beer. :)

That's a good idea tho', I'll have to do that. I like the guys at my local store.
- JFK
Garm

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Start asking for Dunkels and Altbiers. They'll have them, just might be in bottles instead of on tap. I remember Konig Ludwig Dunkel being nice.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be excit

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:But Leinie's never makes lists like these. Not even close. Certainly not multiple times, nor top 10 appearances.

Can anyone explain to me why this list has NO British beers on there?
dubsola

Postby Dark567 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
Azrael wrote:But Leinie's never makes lists like these. Not even close. Certainly not multiple times, nor top 10 appearances.

Can anyone explain to me why this list has NO British beers on there?

Because there isn't enough room after all the American, Canadian, German, Belgian, and Scandinavian beers?

More seriously, its my understanding that craft brewing in the UK is a more recent trend that started after the US microbreweries already started to see some success. Its also my understanding that the UK's brewing industry was decimated by the world wars/temperance movement/massive consolidation of breweries, and didn't recover until CAMRA succeeded in getting legislation passed in favor of smaller breweries in 1989. Similar situations affected the US, but it generally recovered faster(our favorable microbrewery laws were passed in 1978).
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Роберт » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Can anyone explain to me why this list has NO British beers on there?

Because British beers aren't that good?

I'm partial to Scottish, Irish, and German stuff. British or French stuff? It might be good, but I've had better luck with other countries so far.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:More seriously, its my understanding that craft brewing in the UK is a more recent trend that started after the US microbreweries already started to see some success. Its also my understanding that the UK's brewing industry was decimated by the world wars/temperance movement/massive consolidation of breweries, and didn't recover until CAMRA succeeded in getting legislation passed in favor of smaller breweries in 1989. Similar situations affected the US, but it generally recovered faster(our favorable microbrewery laws were passed in 1978).

This is interesting.

Роберт wrote:I'm partial to Scottish, Irish, and German stuff. British or French stuff? It might be good, but I've had better luck with other countries so far.

Scotland is still part of the UK, and Scottish ales aren't especially different to English ones.

There are loads of fantastic British ales. I find it hard to believe there isn't a single one that could make the list of "best 100". That particular list is based on reviews from BA, so I wonder if it's not the demographics of that site.

Quick question: how many of you not from the UK have every drunk something from Timothy Taylors or St Peters? These are two brewers whose beer I regularly enjoy, whose products I have seen outside of the UK.
dubsola

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

It's probably due to demographics and distribution. Some of the beers on that list don't have that many reviews; it seems like a really outstanding UK beer should be able to make it on there, unless there are really few people in the UK reviewing stuff on BA.

It could also be due to a disconnect between styles. Some of the styles that have the same names on both sides of the pond are actually considerably different brews depending on which side you're on, and when someone isn't aware of that they might give a poor review on account of a mismatch between what they expected and what they tasted.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

Travel update: any advice for Vienna?
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

Stay the fuck away from the sausage?
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Quick question: how many of you not from the UK have every drunk something from Timothy Taylors or St Peters? These are two brewers whose beer I regularly enjoy, whose products I have seen outside of the UK.

I've had two of St Peters', a cream stout and a gluten-free sorghum beer that I was trying out with the intention to recommend to a friend.

The former was pretty amazing, the latter was not my cup of tea but good for what it was.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Роберт » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
Роберт wrote:I'm partial to Scottish, Irish, and German stuff. British or French stuff? It might be good, but I've had better luck with other countries so far.

Scotland is still part of the UK, and Scottish ales aren't especially different to English ones.

Quick question: how many of you not from the UK have every drunk something from Timothy Taylors or St Peters? These are two brewers whose beer I regularly enjoy, whose products I have seen outside of the UK.

Part of the UK != British.

I acknowledged that I may just have had bad luck with British ones. I will keep Timothy Taylors and St Peters in mind.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Tim Taylor's Landlord and St Peter's Organic Best Bitter are two good ones to look out for, but most (sorghum beer?!) of what St Peter's do is great.

Bakemaster wrote:Stay the fuck away from the sausage?

My advice: eat the sausage.
dubsola

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

NO.png
NO.png (33.44 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

I know that's fake because it's not in ze Deutsch.
dubsola

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:18 pm UTC

I know it's fake because it's made from old baloney sandwiches and the tears of children.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Indubitably!

Although, I wonder how strongly your opinion has been influenced by intoxicating spirits.
Azrael

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:12 am UTC

I posted that after a long (>24h) period of sobriety. So, rather little.
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 am UTC

Роберт wrote:Part of the UK != British.

Eh, I think it is. Scotland is, unless there has been some major tectonic movement in the past few hours, part of the British Isles, and is therefore British. A Scottish Ale is a British ale. So there.

Going back to some of the more mainstream beers, what are people's opinions on Badger Golden Glory? I used to think it was the most wonderful thing in the world because it was so powerfully fruity. I'm not so sure about it these days.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby dubsola » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

Not bad, but a bit too
SlyReaper wrote:powerfully fruity.

In other news, craft beer is booming in Japan
dubsola

Postby Роберт » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Роберт wrote:Part of the UK != British.

Eh, I think it is. Scotland is, unless there has been some major tectonic movement in the past few hours, part of the British Isles, and is therefore British. A Scottish Ale is a British ale. So there.

Next you're going to tell me a tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable.

Anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_(disambiguation)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland
The continued existence of legal, educational and religious institutions distinct from those in the remainder of the UK have all contributed to the continuation of Scottish culture and national identity since the Union. In 1999, a devolved legislature, the Scottish Parliament, was founded with authority over many areas of home affairs following a successful referendum in 1997. Issues surrounding devolution and independence continue to be debated. The Scottish National Party won an overall majority in the 2011 Scottish Parliament election, and have announced their intention to hold a referendum on independence sometime during the second half of the present five-year parliamentary term.

If I meant the UK, I would say the UK. When I say Britain, I don't mean Scotland or Ireland. When I say British, I don't mean Scottish or Irish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_(disambiguation)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish
Роберт

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

Your reasoning is false and your evidence proves the contrary to what you are saying.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Pedantry, disambiguation and whatnot aside, the common usage I've run into in the not-UK is that 'British' is reserved exclusively for things in England proper, making English and British synonyms. And thus, Irish and Scottish are mutually exclusive terms with English and British.

And I know quite a few various ex-pats from any of the unified kingdoms who take offense when mistakenly called the wrong "-ish".
Azrael

Postby dubsola » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

Mancunians would take offense to being called Liverpudlians. I don't care what Braveheart says, Scotland is British.

I don't really think this. I don't care much either way, really. But in terms of beer, there's no particular difference between Scottish, English or Welsh ales. So when I said British, and he said Scottish, well. Come on.
dubsola

Postby Роберт » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Mancunians would take offense to being called Liverpudlians. I don't care what Braveheart says, Scotland is British.

I don't really think this. I don't care much either way, really. But in terms of beer, there's no particular difference between Scottish, English or Welsh ales. So when I said British, and he said Scottish, well. Come on.

So you consider Belhaven a British ale? Then to you I'll say I've found some tasty British ale.
Роберт

Postby dubsola » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

I'd call it ale, Scottish ale to be precise, but since you'd find it at the Great British Beer Festival, it counts.
dubsola

Postby Dream » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

I have to agree about the BA list. I'm baffled. There should really be some stuff from Orkney and perhaps also from Black Isle. (Scottish beers are just better than english ones ;) )

I've had tons of Taylor's Landlord, it's a perennial in casks around Scotland. I think it's great. St. Peter's I've had most of at one time or another, usually in bottles. Never really stuck with me, I couldn't tell you what it's like now.

SlyReaper wrote:Badger Golden Glory? I used to think it was the most wonderful thing in the world because it was so powerfully fruity. I'm not so sure about it these days.

I've ever been a fan, I think it's very unbalanced. Cloying. If you want a far superior replacement, Fyne Ales Avalanche is a citrussy light bodied ale that wears its fruity much more handsomely, and is something I could drink gallons of at any time. It's one of my top regular drinking beers, and might actually be in my top list of Best Beers of all kinds.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.
Dream
WINNING

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

The bros. gave the two Orkney brews they've reviewed A and A+ grades, respectively. They just haven't gotten total agreement on those ratings from the BA masses.

Of course, you can have a vote yourself, can't you? I hope they don't restrict membership by geography.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

PreviousNext

Return to Food