Sprechen Sie Deutsch bitte! [German practice]

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Aberacht

Re: Sprechen Sie Deutsch bitte! [German practice]

Postby Aberacht » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Was meinst du damit, dass du langsam Italienisch und Latein lernen wirst?

I mean that I will study Italian and Latin slowly; they are not my focus.

Jetzt konzentrierst du dich auf Deutsch.

Is this reflexive? "I concentrate myself on German"?

Makri wrote:It means: Weeeeeell. That's apparently a cliché about agglutinating languages in general.

"anhaften" actually means "adhere to" or, more abstractly "inhere to". But it can also be used in this context. In a metaphorical way, the cliché "sticks to" those languages.

Jetzt verstehe ich. Danke!

Weil ihr immer mich beantwortet, habe ich mehr Fragen! :)

I often put the time, manner, or place clause in a sentence at the beginning of the phrase, mostly because I'm worried I won't put it in the right place otherwise. When there are a lot of phrases, they all get mixed up to me. Consider the following:

"I went slowly to the store last night, in order to buy a good cheese for my sister." I would translate it as this, but with not much confidence:
"Ich bin gestern Abend langsam zum Laden, um meiner Schwester einen guten Käse zu kaufen."

In general, I know about Time/Manner/Place, and how Dative Indirect Objects precede Accusative Direct Objects (unless the DO is a pronoun). But I have other problems with word order. You said that "dann"affects word order; does "denn"? What about "aber, oder, und" and other coordinating conjunctions? Do you all know any other word order rules that could be helpful?

Vielen Dank!

Makri

Postby Makri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

Is this reflexive? "I concentrate myself on German"?

Yes.

Weil ihr immer mich beantwortet

Man antwortet einer Person (antworten + Dativ), aber man beantwortet eine Frage (beantworten + Akkusativ).

"Ich bin gestern Abend langsam zum Laden, um meiner Schwester einen guten Käse zu kaufen."

That's correct. However, with the omission of "gehen", it's very colloquial. Better add "gegangen", so "Ich bin gestern Abend langsam zum Laden gegangen, um..."

More on word order later.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Aberacht

Postby Aberacht » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:56 am UTC

Hallo alle zusammen! Ich habe morgens einen Deutschentest genommen. Natürlich habe ich mehr Fragen.

1. Where do the adverbs go in subordinate clauses?
Obwohl ich [gern Kuchen / Kuchen gern] esse, bin ich allergisch dagegen.
Which of these two is considered (more) correct?

2. Where do time, manner, and place modifiers go in respect to direct objects in subordinate clauses? In other words, in what order would I say the following?
Obwohl ich [gern, Kuchen, morgens, in meiner Küchen] esse, bin ich allergisch dagegen.
I'm trying to say "Although I like to eat cake in the morning in my kitchen, I am allergic to it." A very situational sentence, I know, but I'm trying to figure out word order :?

3. Am I using present participles correctly in the following two instances?
--a. Weil ich dieses Sommer in Europa reise, werde ich ein reisender Student [sein]. (side question, is sein optional here?)
--b. Reisend ist wichtig (alternatively, would I say "Das Reisen ist wichtig"?)

4. Relative clauses. I have been told that I can use "welche" in place of the relative pronoun in some cases. But how so?
--a. Ich kenne ein Mann, der ein guter König ist. (is this legal?)
--b. Ich kenne ein Mann, welcher ein guter Könight ist (and this?)

5. In what cases would I use mögen or gefällen? I have been told that mögen is all around general liking, while gefällen expresses aesthetic liking. I'm not sure.

Vielen Dank!

Makri

Postby Makri » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 am UTC

Ich habe morgens einen Deutschentest genommen.

In German, you don't take tests, you have them. Also, "morgens" tends to mean "every morning". If you want to express "in the morning" with reference to this morning, use "am Morgen". (This may be a feature of my idiolect, but maybe some others will confirm...)

Go with the first. The second happens to be possible in this context, but it's generally much more restricted in its use.

Obwohl ich [gern, Kuchen, morgens, in meiner Küchen] esse, bin ich allergisch dagegen.
I'm trying to say "Although I like to eat cake in the morning in my kitchen, I am allergic to it." A very situational sentence, I know, but I'm trying to figure out word order

Here things get extremely tricky, because word order in German is heavily dependent on meaning and the discourse situation. One correct order for your sentence would be "obwohl ich gern morgens ins meiner Küche esse". "morgens gern in meiner Küche kuchen" is also possible, though. The difference here is really semantic, but it happens to be minimal. In the first version, what is like to do is eating cake in your kitchen in the morning. In the second, you that it's the case in the morning that you like eating cake in your kitchen.

The basic order is time > place > manner > DO. However, it can be modified. First according to considerations like the one above. (The difference there is called a difference in "scope" of the adverb "gern".) Second, and more complicatedly, it depends on whether the DO is indefinite or definite, and whether it has been mentioned in the discourse or not. I'll give you the general rules here, although I'm afraid they're not the full picture. I'm not including intonation, for instance, which also plays a role. Maybe later...

Rule for definites (i.e. pronouns, proper names, noun phrases with the definite article, with deictic pronouns...):

If it's familiar (i.e. has been mentioned), put it to the left of all adverbs. As an example, take the following exchange (I'm using a full noun phrase instead of a pronoun, which would of course be much more natural, just for illustration):

A: Was ist eigentlich mit dem Peter?
B: Ich hab' den Peter gestern im Park getroffen!
NOT: Ich hab' gestern im Park den Peter getroffen!

If it's not familiar, put it to the right:

A: Stell' dir vor was passiert ist! Ich hab' gestern im Park den Peter getroffen.

Rules for indefinites:

You will generally keep those to the right, because usually they will introduce new entities in the discourse, i.e. be unfamiliar. However, with partitive existentials, you can sometimes have them to the left:

A: Was ist eigentlich mit den Schranz-Brüdern?
B: Ich hab' einen von denen gestern im Park getroffen!

Weil ich dieses Sommer in Europa reise, werde ich ein reisender Student [sein]. (side question, is sein optional here?)

The sentence is grammatically correct. "sein" is not optional here, though. It's only optional with "werden" when you are talking about a property that the subject will have for a long time, that will be a defining characteristic of him, etc. So if you're talking about a child growing up and you want to say that she'll become a tall girl, then you can say "sie wird groß". Or when you'll talking about a cake that you're baking, you can say "das wird gut". If you say that you will "reisender Student werden", then what you imply is that "reisender Student" is a profession that you intend to take.

Reisend ist wichtig (alternatively, would I say "Das Reisen ist wichtig"?)

Neither actually. The first is simply ungrammatical, the second is unusual. You'd just say "Reisen ist wichtig", or, if you want to be more verbose, "Es ist wichtig, zu reisen". (The difference is just the same as between "Travelling is important" and "It's important to travel".)

Ich kenne ein Mann, der ein guter König ist.

No, but only because the accusative is "einen Mann".

Ich kenne einen Mann, welcher ein guter König ist

That's correct, but it sounds weird. "welche" as a relative pronoun is very archaic.

In what cases would I use mögen or gefällen? I have been told that mögen is all around general liking, while gefällen expresses aesthetic liking. I'm not sure.

That's true. "gefallen" you can use for a piece of music, a theatre play, a movie (with those it's more natural than mögen). When you use it for a person, you're most likely (depending on the precise context and also the area of the German-speaking world that you're in) not expressing that you like them, but that you find them attractive. You also don't use "gefallen" for food, except to convey that you find the visual arrangement pleasing.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 am UTC

Aberacht wrote:Ich habe morgens einen Deutschentest genommen.

Du hast heute Morgen an einem Deutschtest teilgenommen / Du hattest heute Morgen einen Deutschtest / Du hast heute Morgen einen Deutschtest gemacht.

Both. The second emphasizes "gern".

Obwohl ich morgens gern Kuchen in meiner Küche esse, bin ich allergisch dagegen.
(Küche, not Küchen)

3. Am I using present participles correctly in the following two instances?
--a. Weil ich dieses Sommer in Europa reise, werde ich ein reisender Student [sein]. (side question, is sein optional here?)

It is correct. If you leave out "sein", you are saying "I become a travelling student".

--b. Reisend ist wichtig (alternatively, would I say "Das Reisen ist wichtig"?)

This is wrong.
Typical: Reisen ist wichtig.
Possible: Das Reisen ist wichtig.

--a. Ich kenne einen Mann, der ein guter König ist. (is this legal?)

This is correct and typical in both spoken and written German.
--b. Ich kenne einen Mann, welcher ein guter König ist (and this?)

This is correct, but you wouldn't use it when speaking ... for writing it would be okay, sound a bit formal.

5. In what cases would I use mögen or gefällen? I have been told that mögen is all around general liking, while gefällen expresses aesthetic liking. I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's about right. But "mögen" isn't used all that much, we prefer expressions with "gern" (may vary by regional dialect).
Ich mag Bananen. = Ich esse Bananen gern / Ich esse gern Bananen.
Dieses Bild gefällt mir.
Dieses Foto von mir gefällt mir nicht. / Dieses Foto von mir mag ich nicht.
Ich mag die Ostsee. / Ich fahre gern an die Ostsee.
Ich liebe das Meer.
Mir gefällt dieses Kleid.
Ich mag meine Schwester, meinen Ehemann, meine Mutter ... = Ich habe sie / ihn gern.
Ich liebe meinen Ehemann.
Dieser Mann / diese Frau gefällt mir, er / sie ist attraktiv.
Er wohnt nicht gern in der Großstadt / Er mag die Großstadt nicht / Großstädte gefallen ihm nicht.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Aberacht

Postby Aberacht » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

Danke alle! Fünf Tagen habe ich krank. (Which leads to two questions: How would I say "For five days..." and how does German express the phrase "I have been sick?" I'm sure there's some idiom or something, there usually is. :))

Ich würde mehr fragen, aber ich habe neulich nichts gelernt. Wir lernen jetzt in der Klasse Relativ-Teilsätze. Grammatik ist mir sehr simpel; Wortschatz und Benutzung der Wörter fällen mir schwer.

Oh, a pronunication question: When you say the "ch" in ich or nicht, does your tongue curl upwards towards the roof of your mouth, or does it curl downwards with the main body of the tongue arced upwards towards the roof? Or how else?

Vielen Dank.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Aberacht wrote:Fünf Tagen habe ich krank. (Which leads to two questions: How would I say "For five days..." and how does German express the phrase "I have been sick?" I'm sure there's some idiom or something, there usually is. :))

Du bist seit 5 Tagen krank (du bist immer noch krank).
Du bist 5 Tage lang krank gewesen (jetzt bist du gesund).

Grammatik ist mir sehr simpel; Wortschatz und Benutzung der Wörter fällen mir schwer.

Grammatik fällt dir leicht, Wortschatz und Benutzung der Wörter fallen dir schwer.

Oh, a pronunication question: When you say the "ch" in ich or nicht, does your tongue curl upwards towards the roof of your mouth, or does it curl downwards with the main body of the tongue arced upwards towards the roof? Or how else?

Hmm, it's not curling, I would say. All of it is very close to the roof.

OllieGarkey

Postby OllieGarkey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

I'm enjoying poking through this thread.

Meine Mutter war in Stuttgart geboren. Ich spreche besser Deutsch als ich schreibe. Ich spreche nicht gut Deutsch.

Unfortunately, no one would speak German with me because the last time I was overseas, I picked up the Austrian accent, which is apparently grating.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

Dann musst du mit uns Deutsch "sprechen". Wir hören den schrecklichen Akzent ja nicht :mrgreen:
Last edited by Monika on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

OllieGarkey

Postby OllieGarkey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Dann musst du mit uns Deutsch "sprechen". Wir hören den schrecklichen Akzept ja nicht :mrgreen:

Hahah. Übung macht Perfektion, Ja? Und zie nicht verrückt sein bei meinem österreichischen Akzent.

Wow, I'm going to need to work harder at this. I've forgotten most of my German! Oooh, that last sentence is a trainwreck isn't it?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

Übung macht den Meister ^^ .

Und ich weiß nicht genau, was du damit meinst, dass ich nicht verrückt werde durch den österreichischen Akzent ^^

OllieGarkey

Postby OllieGarkey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

Yeah, trainwreck indeed.

I'm using my trusty german-english dictionary, and I tried to say that if I'm typing, the austrian accent won't drive you crazy.

Aberacht

Postby Aberacht » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:13 am UTC

Huzzah! Another person to practice with. :D

Fällt Deutsche Grammatik dir schwer? Ich finde dass, das Lernen von dem Wortschatz mir schwer fällt.

Zu Monika: Heute habe ich über Past Participles meinen Professor gefragt. Kann mann sagt: "Das gescriebene Referat" oder "Das studierte Buch war gut"?

Vielen Dank!

Makri

Postby Makri » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:33 am UTC

Man kann sowas sagen. Allerdings muss man bedenken, dass "written" oft als "schriftlich" zu übersetzen ist. Z.B. "written exam" > "schriftliche Prüfung".

"studieren" sagt man bei Büchern eher selten...

Übung macht Perfektion

Die deutsche Wendung dafür ist "Übung macht den Meister". :)

Also, what the hell is wrong with an Austrian accent? :roll: :mrgreen:
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 am UTC

Aberacht wrote:Fällt Deutsche Grammatik dir schwer?

Hier muss "deutsche" klein geschrieben werden. Es ist nur ein Adjektiv.

Ich finde dass, das Lernen von dem Wortschatz mir schwer fällt.

Das Komma kommt vor "dass".
Man würde eher sagen: "Mir fällt das Lernen der Vokabeln schwer."
As you are saying anyway how you feel about something (only you can know how difficult something is for you), there is no need to add "Ich finde".

Zu Monika: Heute habe ich über Past Participles meinen Professor gefragt. Kann mann sagt: "Das gescriebene Referat" oder "Das studierte Buch war gut"?

Heute hast du deinen Professor etwas zum Partizip II gefragt / Heute hast du deinem Professor zum Partizip II Fragen gestellt.

Nun, man kann schon "Das geschriebene Referat" oder "Das gelesene Buch" sagen, aber das ist unüblich und klingt merkwürdig. Man verwendet stattdessen Relativsätze."Ich habe das Referat, das ich [neulich | für Fach X | zum Thema y] geschrieben habe, zurückbekommen, es ist eine 1!" "Das Buch, das ich gestern fertig gelesen habe, war hervorragend." Aber es gibt auch viele Beispiele, wo man das Partizip II als Attribut (adjektivisch) gebraucht, z.B. "der beschädigte Reaktor", "das zerstörte Haus", "der frisch gestrichene Zaun", "das geschriebene Wort", "das verlassene Kind", "das angebundene Pferd", "der verstörte Hund", "die unterbrochene Linie". Das ist eigentlich genau so wie auf Englisch.

Makri wrote:Also, what the hell is wrong with an Austrian accent? :roll: :mrgreen:

Nichts nichts :mrgreen:

ximun

Postby ximun » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 am UTC

Ich "bump" dieses Thema! :) Ich muss mein Deutsch wirklich praktizieren, um es nicht zu verlernen.

Ich habe endlich mein Diplom in Sprachen verdient. Die zwei nächsten Jaren wird ich zur Universität gehen, um Politikwissenschaft und Journalismus zu studieren (oder lernen?). Ich wird nicht mehr Deutschstunden nehmen, damit ich muss an meinem Deutsch allein arbeiten. Meine Freundin, die in Deutschland bald ist, soll mir ein paar deutsche Bücher kaufen. Schließlich will ich Die Zwerge, der von Markus Heitz geschriebt wurde, und Das Lied von Eis und Feuer von George RR Martin in Deutsch lesen.

Es dauert mir eine Stunden, einzigen Page zu lesen! :lol:

spiesser

Postby spiesser » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 am UTC

Die Bücher klingen gut, ich lese nur selten Romane, aber ich muss vielleicht doch die Zwerge irgendwo finden... Wenn du gerne liest, Hörbücher könnten dir vielleicht viel gut tun, weil man dabei gleichzeitig lesen und hören kann. Mindestens hat es mir echt viel gebracht, aber ich bin wahrscheinlich kein gutes Vorbild. :P Mein Deutsch ist echt schlimm geworden, seit ich Deutschland verlassen habe... :|

ximun wrote:...um Politikwissenschaft und Journalismus zu studieren (oder lernen?).

Studieren ist hier richtig, glaube ich.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:25 am UTC

ximun wrote:Ich "bump" dieses Thema! :) Ich muss mein Deutsch wirklich praktizieren, um es nicht zu verlernen.

Du musst dein Deutsch wirklich üben.

Ich habe endlich mein Diplom in Sprachen verdient.

Du hast dein Diplom erhalten/bekommen oder abgeschlossen.

Die zwei nächsten Jaren wird ich zur Universität gehen

Die zwei nächsten Jahre.

um Politikwissenschaft und Journalismus zu studieren (oder lernen?).

Zu studieren. Genau das heißt studieren: An einer Universität oder Hochschule [eines oder mehrere Fächer] studieren. Deshalb ist man auch nur dort ein Student :D .

Ich wird nicht mehr Deutschstunden nehmen, damit ich muss an meinem Deutsch allein arbeiten.

-> Ich werde nicht mehr Deutschstunden nehmen, somit muss ich an meinem Deutsch allein arbeiten.

Meine Freundin, die in Deutschland bald ist, soll mir ein paar deutsche Bücher kaufen.

..., die bald in Deutschland ist, ...

Es dauert mir eine Stunden, einzigen Page zu lesen! :lol:

Du brauchst eine Stunde, um eine einzige Seite zu lesen / Es dauert eine Stunde, eine einzige Seite zu lesen.

Dein Deutsch ist wirklich gut :) .

Hallo spiesser! Warum hast du dich denn so genannt? :o

ximun

Postby ximun » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

Danke euch beiden! Ich habe meine Nachricht korrigiert:

Ich muss mein Deutsch wirklich üben, um es nicht zu verlernen.

Ich habe endlich mein Diplom in Sprachen bekommen. Die zwei nächsten Jahre wird ich zur Universität gehen, um Politikwissenschaft und Journalismus zu studieren (oder lernen?). Ich wird nicht mehr Deutschstunden nehmen, somit muss ich an meinem Deutsch allein arbeiten. Meine Freundin, die bald in Deutschland ist, soll mir ein paar deutsche Bücher kaufen. Schließlich will ich Die Zwerge, der von Markus Heitz geschriebt wurde, und Das Lied von Eis und Feuer von George RR Martin in Deutsch lesen.

Ich brauche eine Stunden, um eine einzige Seite zu lesen!

spiesser wrote:Die Bücher klingen gut, ich lese nur selten Romane, aber ich muss vielleicht doch die Zwerge irgendwo finden... Wenn du gerne liest, Hörbücher könnten dir vielleicht viel gut tun, weil man dabei gleichzeitig lesen und hören kann. Mindestens hat es mir echt viel gebracht, aber ich bin wahrscheinlich kein gutes Vorbild. :P Mein Deutsch ist echt schlimm geworden, seit ich Deutschland verlassen habe... :|

Ja, beide Bücher sind wirklich gut. Ich habe sie in Englisch gelesen, somit wird ich schon mit der Geschichten vertraut sein. Deine Idee ist sagenhaft! Ich hatte völlig verlassen, dass ich Hörbücher benutzen kann. Ich habe im Moment kein Geld, um Hörbücher zu kaufen, aber kann ich einige online finden.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

Ich habe noch etwas übersehen:
Ich wird => Ich werde oder kurz/umgangssprachlich ich werd.
geschriebt => geschrieben
eine Stunden => eine Stunde (oder einige Stunden)

Und du hast es nicht verlassen, sondern vergessen ;) .

spiesser

Postby spiesser » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Hallo spiesser! Warum hast du dich denn so genannt? :o

Naja, nichts gutes ist mir gleich eingefallen... und hab einfach nur gedacht, dass spiesser ziemlich lustig war. Es ist natürlich ironisch gemeint, weil ich ja (soweit ich weiß...) kein Spießer bin, gell. ;) Außerdem mag ich das Wort halt, es klingt ganz komisch.. Also keine interessante Geschichte steckt dahinter... Ich fand's nur etwas lustig. :P

ximun wrote:Ja, beide Bücher sind wirklich gut. Ich habe sie in Englisch gelesen, somit wird ich schon mit der Geschichten vertraut sein. Deine Idee ist sagenhaft! Ich hatte völlig verlassen, dass ich Hörbücher benutzen kann. Ich habe im Moment kein Geld, um Hörbücher zu kaufen, aber kann ich einige online finden.

Ich weiß nicht ob es dir hilfreich sein wird, aber wenn du irgendwann mal Bücher lesen willst, die etwas ältere sind, könnte diese Liste von „Free, legal audiobook sites“ bei how-to-learn-any-language.com(http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6386)* dir nützlich sein. Aber man kann ja natürlich auch moderne Bücher online finden.

*kann leider das url Code nicht benutzen, sörry.

Weißt jemand wo ich vielleicht Dokus auf Detusch online schauen kann? Ich habe schon einige bei ARD, ZDF und 3Sat gefunden. Gibt es noch irgendwelche Sender, die man per Internet schauen kann, die guten Dokus haben?

Außerdem Monika könntest du mal bitte meine Post korrigieren? Das wäre super. :D

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

Es gibt nicht viel zu korrigieren. :D

spiesser wrote:Die Bücher klingen gut, ich lese nur selten Romane, aber ich muss vielleicht doch die Zwerge irgendwo finden... Wenn du gerne liest, Hörbücher könnten dir vielleicht viel gut tun, weil man dabei gleichzeitig lesen und hören kann. Mindestens hat es mir echt viel gebracht, aber ich bin wahrscheinlich kein gutes Vorbild. :P Mein Deutsch ist echt schlimm geworden, seit ich Deutschland verlassen habe... :|

... Wenn du gerne liest, könnten Hörbücher dir vielleicht helfen / könnten Hörbücher dir vielleicht viel bringen, weil ...
Zumindest hat es mir echt viel gebracht, ...
Das mit dem Vorbild ist nicht ganz klar. Vielleicht meinst du eher "Beispiel" oder "kein typischer Fall"?

spiesser wrote:Naja, nichts gutes ist mir gleich eingefallen...

=> Naja, mir ist nicht gleich etwas Gutes eingefallen

und hab einfach nur gedacht, dass spiesser ziemlich lustig war.

=> und ich habe einfach nur gedacht, dass spiesser ziemlich lustig ist.

Also keine interessante Geschichte steckt dahinter...

=> Also es steckt keine interessante Geschichte dahinter

Ich weiß nicht ob es dir hilfreich sein wird

=> Ich weiß nicht, ob es dir helfen wird / ob es für dich hilfreich sein wird

aber wenn du irgendwann mal Bücher lesen willst, die etwas ältere sind

=> älter

könnte ... dir nützlich sein

könnte ... für dich nützlich sein

das url Code

den url Code

sörry.

Das sieht süß aus :D . Es heißt aber auch auf Deutsch sorry.

Weißt jemand

Weiß jemand

meine Post korrigieren

mein Posting korrigieren / mein Post korrigieren / meinen Artikel korrigieren / meinen Beitrag korrigieren

Dokumentationen gibt es auch auf Phoenix (Politiksender), ich glaube, die gibt es auch online. Und bestimmt einige auf arte.

InNombreDeQuién

Postby InNombreDeQuién » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:30 am UTC

Ignoring the danger of beeing redundant ("repost, gtfo!") i want to show you a very good analysis of the german language by Mark Twain:

"The awful german language"
http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/awfgrmlg.html

tltr:
Surely there is not another language that is so slipshod and systemless, and so slippery and elusive to the grasp. One is washed about in it, hither and thither, in the most helpless way; and when at last he thinks he has captured a rule which offers firm ground to take a rest on amid the general rage and turmoil of the ten parts of speech, he turns over the page and reads, "Let the pupil make careful note of the following exceptions." He runs his eye down and finds that there are more exceptions to the rule than instances of it.

For instance, my book inquires after a certain bird -- (it is always inquiring after things which are of no sort of consequence to anybody): "Where is the bird?" Now the answer to this question -- according to the book -- is that the bird is waiting in the blacksmith shop on account of the rain. Of course no bird would do that, but then you must stick to the book. Very well, I begin to cipher out the German for that answer. I begin at the wrong end, necessarily, for that is the German idea. I say to myself, "Regen (rain) is masculine -- or maybe it is feminine -- or possibly neuter -- it is too much trouble to look now. Therefore, it is either der (the) Regen, or die (the) Regen, or das (the) Regen, according to which gender it may turn out to be when I look. In the interest of science, I will cipher it out on the hypothesis that it is masculine. Very well -- then the rain is der Regen, if it is simply in the quiescent state of being mentioned, without enlargement or discussion -- Nominative case; but if this rain is lying around, in a kind of a general way on the ground, it is then definitely located, it is doing something -- that is, resting (which is one of the German grammar's ideas of doing something), and this throws the rain into the Dative case, and makes it dem Regen. However, this rain is not resting, but is doing something actively, -- it is falling -- to interfere with the bird, likely -- and this indicates movement, which has the effect of sliding it into the Accusative case and changing dem Regen into den Regen." Having completed the grammatical horoscope of this matter, I answer up confidently and state in German that the bird is staying in the blacksmith shop "wegen (on account of) den Regen." Then the teacher lets me softly down with the remark that whenever the word "wegen" drops into a sentence, it always throws that subject into the Genitive case, regardless of consequences -- and that therefore this bird stayed in the blacksmith shop "wegen des Regens."

I love it (both the text and the language ;)

Addendum:
There are some exceedingly useful words in this language. Schlag, for example; and Zug. There are three-quarters of a column of Schlags in the dictionary, and a column and a half of Zugs. The word Schlag means Blow, Stroke, Dash, Hit, Shock, Clap, Slap, Time, Bar, Coin, Stamp, Kind, Sort, Manner, Way, Apoplexy, Wood-cutting, Enclosure, Field, Forest-clearing. This is its simple and exact meaning -- that is to say, its restricted, its fettered meaning; but there are ways by which you can set it free, so that it can soar away, as on the wings of the morning, and never be at rest. You can hang any word you please to its tail, and make it mean anything you want to. You can begin with Schlag-ader, which means artery, and you can hang on the whole dictionary, word by word, clear through the alphabet to Schlag-wasser, which means bilge-water -- and including Schlag-mutter, which means mother-in-law.

Just the same with Zug. Strictly speaking, Zug means Pull, Tug, Draught, Procession, March, Progress, Flight, Direction, Expedition, Train, Caravan, Passage, Stroke, Touch, Line, Flourish, Trait of Character, Feature, Lineament, Chess-move, Organ-stop, Team, Whiff, Bias, Drawer, Propensity, Inhalation, Disposition: but that thing which it does not mean -- when all its legitimate pennants have been hung on, has not been discovered yet.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:40 am UTC

Well, if said Mr. Twain would be alive, I would have to say to him: Mr. Twain, regarding what you write about German, I must sadly say, you are full of shit :wink: .

Nothing changes into Dativ because it's "lying around".
Nothing changes into Akkusativ because it's moving.
And Schlagmutter does not mean mother-in-law at all, not even in dialect or old-fashioned German. Mother-in-law is Schwiegermutter. I am not sure if Schlagmuttern even existed at that time - they are a special type of screw nut: (google image search result) http://www.google.de/search?tbm=isch&bi ... hlagmutter

ximun

Postby ximun » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:52 am UTC

I guess it refers to how the case is determined for objects following certain prepositions:

auf + akk if there is motion involved, i.e. I hang the painting on the wall.
auf + dat if there is no motion, i.e. The painting hangs on the wall.

I haven't read Mark Twain's text yet but will do as soon as I have free time.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:44 am UTC

ximun wrote:I guess it refers to how the case is determined for objects following certain prepositions:

auf + akk if there is motion involved, i.e. I hang the painting on the wall.
auf + dat if there is no motion, i.e. The painting hangs on the wall.

Aaah, ja, das könnte sein.

scarfish

Postby scarfish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 am UTC

Wenn ich das alles so lese dann bin ich wirklich ziemlich glücklich darüber, dass ich ausgerechnet deutsch als Muttersprache habe. Vollständige Sätze auf Basis von Regeln statt auf Basis des Sprachgefühls zu bilden, scheint mir praktisch unmöglich o.o

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

Ach, so schwer ist Deutsch nun auch wieder nicht ^^ .

alacorn75

Postby alacorn75 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Sehr schöner Thread. Ich selbst bin Muttersprachler (und studiere deutsche Sprachwissenschaft auf Magister) und werde den Thread ab jetzt wohl öfter besuchen. Finde ich gut, dass den Leuten hier geholfen wird :-).

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:22 am UTC

This came up in a discussion of Time Cube, of all things: which of the following would be correct, idiomatic German?

Institut für Transkubische Philosophie
or
Institut für Transkubische Gedanken

(We were trying to come up with the German for "Institute for Transcubic Thought". They're a fictitious institute whose mission is "to analyze, understand, extend, and transcend the Time Cube philosophy of Gene Ray, Founding Cubic.")
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

alacorn75

Postby alacorn75 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:34 am UTC

I'd suggest "Philosophie". "Gedanken" sounds rather unscientific in German. "Denkweisen" would also be possible.

Makri

Postby Makri » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:03 am UTC

I'd recommend "Transkubisches Denken". "Philosophie" makes it sound even more pretentious (The same effect that, I believe, "philosophy" would have in English. As far as I can tell, the two words are used in exactly the same way.). "Gedanken" is more reminiscent of unordered thoughts and sketches. Not necessarily unscientific, though. You can find theses titled "Gedanken zu ..."; it's quite common in academic continental philosophy, actually.
"Denkweisen" sounds weird to me. I mean, the word in itself is completely fine, I just wouldn't ever use it in this context.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Twelfthroot

Postby Twelfthroot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 am UTC

Hallo allerseits! I've very recently started learning German, and I thought I'd kick off my German adventure with the horribly catchy Schnappi song. I was wondering if someone could give it a listen and critique my pronunciation, and make sure my translation looks reasonably correct. My apologies if this awakens any dormant earworms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9VIFC8EqKk

Vielen Dank!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:07 am UTC

Twelfthroot wrote:My apologies if this awakens any dormant earworms.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah amok

But cute, so cute Image

Your pronuncation is great. It's better during the song than during the spoken part before.

Translation:
kriegen = colloquial word for bekommen = get / receive.
Davon kriege ich nie zu viel = I can never have / get enough / too much of that.

Regarding liegen:
For locations we usually use liegen, e.g. Berlin liegt im Norden von Deutschland, New York liegt fast so weit südlich wie Rom, Mannheim liegt am Rhein und am Neckar ... . So it's best to translate this with the more usual "to be" into English.
But "Ich lag im Ei" "I lay in the egg" is an unusual way of expressing this, usually one would say "Ich war in einem Ei" "I was in an egg". So I would say it would be better if you had translated this with "lay", as the songwriter used this word intentionally.

Twelfthroot

Postby Twelfthroot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Thank you! ^_^

Monika wrote:Translation:
kriegen = colloquial word for bekommen = get / receive.
Davon kriege ich nie zu viel = I can never have / get enough / too much of that.

Aah, that makes so much more sense. All of the lyric site I could find, even the ones in German, had "ich nicht" instead of "ich nie"... but it does sound like Schnappi says "nie", and it makes so much more sense that way, so I'm going to assume it's just a hugely over-propagated error. I'll add an annotation about it.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

I listened to it here http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0129334638 , it seems to be "nicht".
The most typical way of saying it is "davon nicht genug [kriegen|bekommen] können" = "cannot have/get enough of that";
"davon nie genug [kriegen|bekommen] können" would mean the same (even though it literally says never instead of nicht), isn't used as often, but doesn't sound strange.
"davon nicht zu viel [kriegen|bekommen] können" is rather unusual, but needed for the rhyme in the song (the same reason "können" is left out).

Twelfthroot

Postby Twelfthroot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

Ah, very well... in any case, I suppose the meaning is more or less the same.
Thanks for the help! I imagine I'll be back to this thread with plenty more questions in the future. ^_^;

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

See you :D

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:44 am UTC

Dies Thread macht mich froh ^_^ Alle sind so bereit zu hilfen.

Ich habe ein neues Bestellung genommen. Bei unsere Abteilung gibt es viele Deutschen. Habt euch (Undeutschen) vorher probiert mit echte Deutschen Deutsch zu sprechen? Es ist unmöglich! Von Mitleid, so bald wie sie können, kehren sie zu Englisch zurück. In der tat, die einzige Deutschsprechende, mit wem ich üben kann, ist Kambodischerin(?)!

Ich wundere mich, wenn es eine gute Idee ist, ein Spiel zu spielen. Dabei gibt's immer was für uns Aufsteigeren zu sagen. Forumspielen, z.B. Corrupt-a-wish, reichen aus. Falls irgendwer spielen möchte, ich fang es an.

Ich wünsche, dass das Schreibung meiner Gottverdammten Thesis wäre fertig.
(Du musst mein Wünsch geben, doch vielleicht etwas böses geschieht. Zum Beispiel, ein mögliche Antwort dürfte sein "So ist es. Du bist jetzt die höchste Autorität über Bingo." Und dann du schreibst deinen eigene Wünsch.)

(Ich begrüsse gern alle Korrigieren!)

Makri

Postby Makri » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:19 am UTC

Vielleicht hilft es dir, wenn ich zunächst einmal deine Text mit Korrekturen versehe. Grammatisch liegt da vieles im Argen, auch wenn die Kommunikation (weitestgehend) gelingt. ;) (f and m an n in brackets indicate the gender of a noun (phrase).)

Ich habe eine neue Bestellung [f.] aufgenommen. In unserer (would also be that with "bei") Abteilung gibt es viele Deutsche. Habt ihr (Nicht-Deutschen) vorher probiert, mit echten Deutschen Deutsch zu sprechen? Es ist unmöglich! Aus Mitleid kehren sie, sobald ("wie" is optional here, I'd prefer to leave it out) sie können, zum Englischen zurück. Tatsächlich ist die einzige Deutschsprechende, mit der ich üben kann, eine Kambodschanerin!

Ich frage mich, ob es eine gute Idee wäre ("ist" würde implizieren, dass du das Spiel schon tatsächlich spielst), ein Spiel zu spielen: Dabei gibt es für uns Anfänger immer was zu sagen. Forumsspiele, z.B. corrupt-a-wish, reichen aus. Falls irgendwer spielen möchte, ich fang' an!

Ich wünschte, dass ich mit meiner gottverdammten Abschlussarbeit fertig wäre. (Du musst meinen Wunsch gewähren, aber so, dass vielleicht etwas schlechtes herauskommt. Zum Beispiel dürfte eine mögliche Antwort so sein: "So ist es. Du bist jetzt die höchste Autorität über Bingo." Und dann schreibst du deinen eigenen Wunsch.)

(Korrekturen sind willkommen!)

Ich frage mich, ob viele Leute nicht eher aus Faulheit als aus Mitleid Englisch sprechen als irgendeine andere Sprache... Evtl. sind Englischsprecher es gewohnt, mehr Geduld mit Leuten zu haben, die ihre Sprache schlecht sprechen, als andere.

Zum Spiel: Deine Abschlussarbeit ist fertig, aber dein Computer gibt den Geist auf und die gespeicherte Datei ist weg. :P Mein Wunsch: Gesund werden.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Return to “Language/Linguistics”