English as She Is Spoke [English practice]

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

English as She Is Spoke [English practice]

Postby tes » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Welcome to the English practice thread!
I'm sure there are many non-native speakers on this board who haven't had the opportunity to perfect their English yet. While learning vocabulary is easy, at least for me, picking up grammatical rules and the many subtleties of the language is difficult, and they're much harder to look up on the internet.
I hope it will prove helpful to have a thread where other people comment on grammatical mistakes, phrasing or things like mixing up UK and US English.

... so, what did I get wrong here? Any awkward wording? Ideas for a better title? :)
tes

Re: English as She Is Spoke [English practice]

Postby The Milkman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:00 am UTC

The title should be (I believe) English as It is Spoken. English has no inherent grammatical genders for words not denoting a person of a particular gender (like the word man, actress etc.)
Do you love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Did you wish that you had a place to talk about your love? Then join #xkcd-ponies! You won't be sorry.
The Milkman

Postby Lazar » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:03 am UTC

The Milkman wrote:The title should be (I believe) English as It is Spoken. English has no inherent grammatical genders for words not denoting a person of a particular gender (like the word man, actress etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_As_She_Is_Spoke
When it gets loudly, it gets very loud indeed!
Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:22 am UTC

^ What Lazar writted. The title he is perfect.

Your post looks fully grammatical to me, tes. The only possible giveaway that you're not a native speaker is that it is, in fact, grammatically correct. :wink:
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Patriotism is a kind of religion; it is the egg from which wars are hatched.
- Guy de Maupassant, short story writer and novelist (1850-1893)
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby The Milkman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

Oh, I didn't know about that. :x
Do you love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Did you wish that you had a place to talk about your love? Then join #xkcd-ponies! You won't be sorry.
The Milkman

Postby tes » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

The Milkman: Sorry, I should have explained that reference.

poxic: Heh, thanks. I didn't want to mess up in the first post, so I restricted myself to relatively safe constructs, but in this thread I'm going to abandon this habit, or else I'm not going to learn much. Is that crème brûlée on your shoulders?

There's a problem I encounter quite frequently: In a sentence à la "Through A as well as through B, ... ", I'd intuitively say that the second "through" is obligatory. Is this correct? What about "Visits to A and (to) B have always been ..."?

Of course, feel free to comment on the entirety of my post here, not only on the question. And I hope I'm not the only one for whom this thread is relevant - maybe it can also serve as a fleeting-thoughts-thread-equivalent for grammar.
tes

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Your use of 'à la' there is rather non-standard. It's usually used for 'in the manner of $category', rather than a specific example or construct like you just used.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Do you mean in a sentence like, "This summer I'm going through Germany and through France?" You can omit the second one. I'm fairly sure this holds true for any preposition used like that. So you could say, "This thread is for the benefit of you, me, native speakers, non-native speakers, and outer space potatomen", or have an of before each of those noun phrases.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Lazar » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

I think the general tendency is to omit the repeat prepositions. I would use them if I wanted to emphasize the distinctness of the listed things. For example, the default expression for me would be, "I'm going through Germany and France"; if I said, "I'm going through Germany and through France", this would have a connotation like, "Not only am I going through Germany, but I'm also going through France!"
Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Derek » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

tes wrote:crème brûlée

Thats not correct English :P

There's a problem I encounter quite frequently: In a sentence à la "Through A as well as through B, ... ", I'd intuitively say that the second "through" is obligatory. Is this correct? What about "Visits to A and (to) B have always been ..."?

It would help if you gave a full sentence as an example, but I would say that the second "through" or "to" is not required, and may even sound a bit redundant. In parallel constructions in English you can usually leave out all the repeated words (though you are never required to). So I would say "Through A as well as B..." and "Visits to A and B have always been...".

I think another way of putting this (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that conjunctions can bind at any level. So you can say "Visits to ((A) and (B))", "Vists ((to A) and (to B))", or "((Visits to A) and (visits to B))", with increasing redundancy.
Derek

Postby Velifer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

tes wrote:è û é à
"Through A as well as through B, ... "
"Visits to A and (to) B have always been ..."?

The English alphabet doesn't have all them there fancy dots and dohickeys. It's foreign at best, and often pretentious. Just drop the diacritics.

"Through A and B." If you're doing the same thing to both, just use the conjunction. Same with "Visits to A and B have always been..."

"Through A as well as through B" still works, but it's a construction that I associate with boisterous political speeches and other florid babbling. It really emphasizes that THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO BOTH! BOTH!
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx
Velifer

Postby Lazar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

I have to stand up for diacritics and point out that dictionary.com does give "crème brûlée" as the citation form in English. The accents can be omitted, but they're not incorrect.
Last edited by Lazar on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby tes » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Do you mean in a sentence like, "This summer I'm going through Germany and through France?"

No, what I meant was e.g. "Through hard work as well as (through) sheer luck, X got into Y school."
tes

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

In that example I would say that the second 'through' is superfluous.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:21 pm UTC

tes wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:Do you mean in a sentence like, "This summer I'm going through Germany and through France?"

No, what I meant was e.g. "Through hard work as well as (through) sheer luck, X got into Y school."

I'd also suggest that "Through" is a bit awkward in that context. It technically works, but "With" would be a bit better.
KestrelLowing

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

I think omitting repeated bits has nothing special to do with whether they're prepositions or not. Any time multiple sentences are combined, which have big repeated chunks before one or two words that differ in each one, you can typically drop the repeated parts.
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Velifer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

[edit:] (Native speaker, SAE North Midland dialect.)

Lazar wrote:I have to stand up for diacritics...

English loanwords have diacritics, but most people drop them. Coöperation isn't spelled like that anymore by anyone who isn't being a pompous twat. If you really want to sound or write like a native speaker, you have to know which rules to break in which ways.

If you're ever in the Midwest, stop by Yé Olde Der Dütch Kitchen Café and we'll have a chat, and something cooked in lard.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx
Velifer

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Velifer wrote:
Why would anyone put an accent on the <e> in the word "the"?
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

For the same reason you would use "Ye" for "The" and in the same sentence as "Der Dutch"?
Derek

Postby Qaanol » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Spoiler:
bigglesworth wrote:Your use of 'à la' there is rather non-standard. It's usually used for 'in the manner of $category', rather than a specific example or construct like you just used.

Citation needed.

Velifer wrote:
tes wrote:è û é à

The English alphabet doesn't have all them there fancy dots and dohickeys. It's foreign at best, and often pretentious. Just drop the diacritics.

Not helpful.

KestrelLowing wrote:
tes wrote:No, what I meant was e.g. "Through hard work as well as (through) sheer luck, X got into Y school."

I'd also suggest that "Through" is a bit awkward in that context. It technically works, but "With" would be a bit better.

You think it’s awkward to achieve things through hard work? I strongly disagree.

I’d like to request that we native English speakers in this thread restrict ourselves to correcting only those constructions that are actually ungrammatical, or that a native speaker “would never use” (such as awkward turns of phrase), or that fail to convey the intended information.

For subtleties of grammar and word choice, we may explain what the different connotations are, but if the original wording is plausible then we should allow for the possibility that the intended meaning could actually be what was written. In other words, don’t suggest a particular rewording as an “improvement” until you are sure it actually is one. It’s far more helpful, I believe, to present various options and describe how they differ.

tes wrote:There's a problem I encounter quite frequently: In a sentence à la "Through A as well as through B, ... ", I'd intuitively say that the second "through" is obligatory. Is this correct? What about "Visits to A and (to) B have always been ..."?

As has been mentioned, it is generally acceptable (often preferable) to omit the repeated word. There are certainly stylistic reasons for choosing one method or the other, as has been described by others in this thread.

One additional factor to consider is whether the sentence would become ambiguous if one choice or the other was made, in which case it is almost always better to use the unambiguous version. For example, “The duck walks through reeds and (through) rushes to the pond.” When the second ‘through’ appears, it is clear then that “rushes” refers to the type of plant. On the other hand absent the repeated preposition, the reader cannot adequately determine whether the word ‘rushes’ is a verb (meaning “moves quickly”) or noun (the plant again).
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby tes » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Thanks for the replies, they really are valuable to me. With regard to what KestrelLowing said: does "with" express the same causality (X worked hard and had luck, which is why X got into Y school) that "through" does? The German translation for "with" doesn't yield anything that would suggest this.
tes

Postby Lazar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Your use of 'à la' there is rather non-standard. It's usually used for 'in the manner of $category', rather than a specific example or construct like you just used.

Citation needed.

Well, you can read the definition here or here. It means "in the manner or style of"; it doesn't mean "such as", which is the way that tes was using it. As a native speaker, I agree with biggles that this use of it seems non-standard.
Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Qaanol » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:
Qaanol wrote:

Citation needed.

Well, you can read the definition here or here. It means "in the manner or style of"; it doesn't mean "such as", which is the way that tes was using it. As a native speaker, I agree with biggles that this use of it seems non-standard.

That’s exactly my point. The question asked was whether it was grammatically acceptable to use <a phrase> in the manner of <a sentence using that phrase in some manner>.
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 am UTC

tes wrote:With regard to what KestrelLowing said: does "with" express the same causality (X worked hard and had luck, which is why X got into Y school) that "through" does?

In this case, yes.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!
RebeccaRGB

Postby firechicago » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:
tes wrote:With regard to what KestrelLowing said: does "with" express the same causality (X worked hard and had luck, which is why X got into Y school) that "through" does?

In this case, yes.

I actually would disagree, though the difference in meaning is subtle. "Through" implies that the qualities named were essential in the process described or the result achieved. "With" merely asserts that those qualities were present while making no judgment on their causative effect. So if you were to say of a friend "She died as she lived, with style and grace," I would assume your friend was fabulous even to the end. But if you said "She died as she lived, through style and grace," I would be dying to know the story of how her style and grace got her killed.
firechicago

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

In English, when you explain an abbreviation, can you say e.g. "PD stands for Payment Details"?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Monika

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Totally.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

Is this the most common wording?
Monika

Postby Dthen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

That's how I would phrase it.
I like cats.
Dthen
You talk too much, you talking cat

Postby Qaanol » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Monika wrote:Is this the most common wording?

It depends on context. If you have a whole sentence or clause to explain the abbreviation, then yes, “S stands for Something” is a common wording.

In news articles and legal contracts it is common to introduce an acronym or abbreviation by using the full name the first time, with the abbreviation in parentheses immediately after. For example, “The Payment Details (PD) are provided electronically. Unauthorized use of the PD is expressly prohibited.”
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby Monika » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

Is it correct that while normally program is spelled programme in British English, when referring to computer programs it's also spelled program in British English?
(I think this is what this dictionary entry http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... ?q=program means, but it's a bit confusing.)
And ... why?
Monika

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

I think the terms 'program' and 'programming' originated in the US and were transplanted in technical documents.
bigglesworth

Postby tesseraktik » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

Monika wrote:In English, when you explain an abbreviation, can you say e.g. "PD stands for Payment Details"?

That, or "PD is short for payment details."

I spent three years in the U.S., causing a lot of English expressions to make their way into my Swedish.
Herr X: "Jag gillar inte duschdraperier!" ("I don't like shower curtains!")
Me: "Jag ser." ("I see")
Herr X: "Vad är det du ser?" ("What is it you see?"
Now, however, I find myself using more and more Swedish mannerisms in my English; using the pronoun "one" a whole lot (whereas a native speaker would tend to use "you", or even "he"/"she"/"it"/"they"), using too many qualifiers, employing non-standard word orders that are correct but which may sound old-fashioned, saying "thanks" instead of "please" and "Greetings!" instead of "Hi!"... ...although I suspect that last one had more to the fact that my main forum for practicing English during my tween and teen years was online role-playing games. That would also explain why I yell "Vendor buy the bank guards!" whenever I'm attacked in the street.*

*Just kidding.
...which, by the way, is an expression I have to keep reminding myself to use when speaking English; it feels really awkward saying it.
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/
tesseraktik

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Monika wrote:In English, when you explain an abbreviation, can you say e.g. "PD stands for Payment Details"?
Sure.

1. PD stands for Payment Details
2. PD means Payment Details
3. PD is short for Payment Details
4. PD is the acronym for Payment Details OR PD is an abbreviation of Payment Details
5. PD. Payment Details.

A lot of it depends on the context. The 3 and 5 is what you would probably say, 1-3 is what you would write, 4 is what you may write as a response to someone's confusion on the use of PD.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Monika » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

Thanks.
Monika

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

You might also find "...PD (Payment Details)..." in writing the first time it is used and then just "PD" every time after that.
Anonymously Famous

Postby Monika » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

To give some context: There is a screenshot of a program. In the program there is some tab or field labeled with "PD". I write instructions where to click on the screenshot and what it means.
Monika

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

In that context, I would probably opt for "PD (Payment Details)" since it is writing and it saves space.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Monika » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

Yeah but I explicitely want to tell the reader "look, you see that PD there on that screenshot? That's for Payment Details".
Monika

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Next

Return to Language/Linguistics