Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Rek » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:True that. Gunslinger + Frontier Justice + Mad NInjaneer skillz with a 'z' = The most goddamn annoying spawncamper on the planet.

I prefer having the vanilla shotgun with gunslinger, since I'll be doing fighting along side it. Although if you can aim well enough I suppose FJ works out.
Words Win Wars
Rek

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:16 am UTC

Generally I just roll pistol until I have my crits. Mid-range is much easier to dodge at anyways.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.
BurningLed

Postby Beardhammer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:35 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:True that. Gunslinger + Frontier Justice + Mad NInjaneer skillz with a 'z' = The most goddamn annoying spawncamper on the planet.

I run with shotgun, pistol, and gunslinger more often than not. Regardless of map type or attack/defend, I'm the engineer that's playing aggressively. 225 health allows you to soak a surprising amount of punishment, and I tend to prioritize getting the teleporter and dispenser up before anything else. Mini sentries are nice, but I'd rather save the 100 metal until I don't have something better to spend it on - shotgun and pistol do just fine as long as your aim is good.

If I'm playing defensively, I move my turret constantly and always place it somewhere unexpected - typically in a blind corner people tend to miss, or on top of a roof that can't be reached without a trick jump (build dispenser, jump, build teleporter exit on top of roof, take teleporter, setup turret.) I don't use Wrangler because none of my sentry positions are particularly useful for it.

Nesting as an engineer is a recipe for disaster. It takes one competent demoman to ruin 2 minutes worth of work, or one spy during a heavy or pyro uber. They added in the ability to move buildings for a very damn good reason.
Beardhammer

Postby BurningLed » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

Nesting is only a bad plan if you're going it as the only Engie. Two or three engies with nests that cover each other are Fort Knox, drop a Hammer Bro into the mix and you're pretty much an undefeatable turtle. The only problem, like I said earlier, is coordination.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
BurningLed

Postby Beardhammer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:40 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Nesting is only a bad plan if you're going it as the only Engie. Two or three engies with nests that cover each other are Fort Knox, drop a Hammer Bro into the mix and you're pretty much an undefeatable turtle. The only problem, like I said earlier, is coordination.

And the fact that you're investing nearly half of your team into doing nothing but sitting in position. 2-3 combined ubers could plow right through it, particularly if they can get a spy in beforehand to shank the pyro (Eternal Reward would work best.)

More, most maps have multiple entry/exit paths that could bypass the nest entirely. Maps without those multiple entry/exit paths are shitty maps (looking at you, 2fort.)
Beardhammer

Postby BurningLed » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

But that also requires an equal amount of combined effort from the enemy team, and it definitely takes a while to break. I've seen some insane nest defenses on Gravelpit's B point and Dustbowl/Gorge's last point, and they usually last long enough to win the game for RED.
BurningLed

Postby Okita » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

I've been debating whether to switch my battalian's backup/ buff banner back to the shotgun.

On the one hand, the shotgun is definitely more useful for mid-range kills. Especially when you have run out of ammunition for the rocket launcher. I like to use rockets as suppressive fire in some maps. Most people expect someone to just fire all four and then reload but I like to fire 1 and then reload which gives me more bang for my buck I think.

Anyway, the shotgun is pretty useful when you are battling mid-range (especially against pyros) but I like how when you rage up on Buff Banner, you know you've been killing a lot. And then with either buffing secondary weapon, you can rally your team to do more.

It's a tough decision.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

For some reason I never find myself using the various buff secondarys on soldier. I tend to stick to gunboats and rocket jump as much as I can.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby Rek » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Since my ability to aim with the Rocket Launcher is sub par, and I generally find myself up against more enemies than four rockets can handle, I usually go with shotgun so I don't die while reloading.
Words Win Wars
Rek

Postby BurningLed » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 am UTC

I roll Black Box and like to jump into battle, and a two-rocket clip can't really murdernate my enemies for me, so I roll with a shotgun for finishing power after I've popped them into the air.
BurningLed

Postby Larry » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:33 am UTC

I can aim with the lawnchair. I can't aim the shotgun at all. Buff banner for me is a no-brainer.
Larry

Postby Ryom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:08 am UTC

I just bought a kukri. Had to have one after I saw the sniper wielding it for the first time.
Ryom

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Ryom wrote:I just bought a kukri. Had to have one after I saw the sniper wielding it for the first time.

/facedesk
Beardhammer

Postby Rek » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

You bought that but not a butterfly knife?

I'm disappointed in you.
Words Win Wars
Rek

Postby Ryom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:29 am UTC

I already had a balisong (and a bat, a shovel, a bottle, a wrench, an axe, a saw, and a pair of boxing gloves). ;)

Something wrong beardhammer?
Ryom

Postby Beardhammer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:56 am UTC

Ryom wrote:I already had a balisong (and a bat, a shovel, a bottle, a wrench, an axe, a saw, and a pair of boxing gloves). ;)

Something wrong beardhammer?

Heh, I guess it's good people are out there trying to restimulate the economy :P

Just reminds me of a thread I saw on the Steam forums. Some (presumably) kid was looking into buying a Franchi SPAS-12 because he liked shooting zombies with one in L4D2. Not an airsoft replica, but an actual real SPAS-12. I'm relieved that I can feel safe that he won't be able to purchase or possess one, even here in the States, but it's still a little disturbing.

I just don't see the need to buy things like that if they won't serve a practical use. What're you gonna do with the kukri? Just turn it into a mantelpiece? At least the other things you mentioned buying can actually be useful in normal day to day life (except maybe the axe and boxing gloves ;) .)
Beardhammer

Postby BurningLed » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:16 am UTC

I have a flare gun in my car :D It looks more like a revolver than the in-game one, but similar enough. Not the exact one, but close.
BurningLed

Postby Torvaun » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

I've had a kukri since before TF2 came out, because it's fucking useful. Probably 90% of using it has been splitting firewood, though.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.
Torvaun

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:What're you gonna do with the kukri? Just turn it into a mantelpiece? At least the other things you mentioned buying can actually be useful in normal day to day life (except maybe the axe and boxing gloves ;) .)

By simply enjoying owning it, the kukri is already useful.

Life would be boring if you couldn't buy things simply for enjoyment.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby Ryom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

I have a stainless steel katana on a stand that is solely for decoration (stainless steel longblades are decorative only as they are too brittle for real use) and I'm glad I spent the money on it. The kukri is likely going to see some actual use when I go camping, so there you go if you need justification for it ;)
Ryom

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

I have a katana bought from a department store in Osaka on my wall, and a parang (Malaysian machete) with a lovely carved wooden scabbard and a blade engraved with the town and province it was bought from (Kota Belud in Sabah). Why do I have them? Because as everyone knows, swords are cool. I have this vague idea of buying a sword from every major place I go to visit but haven't gone to enough interesting places to do it. Just before I bought it, some other people in the group I was with had bought some utilitarian parangs from a local blacksmith and one of them observed that the one I had bought was too nice to use. That was kind of the point.
thecommabandit

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

I've got a decommissioned flintlock pistol that was recommissioned by my Uncle. It's pretty damn cool, but I've got no inclination to ever even TRY to use it, lest it blow up in my hand.

(although on the bright side it makes banging noises when I pull the trigger and the thing for holding gun powder makes a nice clack sound when closed)
Signatures are for chumps.
Box Boy
WINNING

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

Pffft, that's nothing. I've got a fully functional Invis. Watch :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 am UTC

Unfortunately, you don't also have the suit+balaclava which turn invisible with the watch, do you :P
BurningLed

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:02 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I have a katana bought from a department store in Osaka on my wall, and a parang (Malaysian machete) with a lovely carved wooden scabbard and a blade engraved with the town and province it was bought from (Kota Belud in Sabah). Why do I have them? Because as everyone knows, swords are cool. I have this vague idea of buying a sword from every major place I go to visit but haven't gone to enough interesting places to do it. Just before I bought it, some other people in the group I was with had bought some utilitarian parangs from a local blacksmith and one of them observed that the one I had bought was too nice to use. That was kind of the point.

I just don't see the point of buying a weapon when it serves no practical use. A kukri could have practical uses - if you go camping, you've got a use for it there, taking it instead of a normal survival knife. What point do you have for a sword? You can't use swords as tools, they're inferior to guns (as well as being harder to use and likely as expensive to maintain) as a weapon for self-defense, and for decoration... well, whatever. All of my walls are bare and plain because I don't see the point in putting crap all over my home.
Beardhammer

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 am UTC

Decorating your house is sort of extending your character to the walls around you and making yourself comfortable. Plus, they're swords. Bitches love swords.

/meme
BurningLed

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I have a katana bought from a department store in Osaka on my wall
I wonder if the katanas from Osaka department stores are any better than the katanas you can buy locally?
Jorpho

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:42 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Decorating your house is sort of extending your character to the walls around you and making yourself comfortable. Plus, they're swords. Bitches love swords.

/meme

There's something mildly amusing about hanging long, hard swords all over your walls and mantel, just to see if someone comes in one day and picks up on the symbolism. Do you happen to collect spears as well?

I wonder if the katanas from Osaka department stores are any better than the katanas you can buy locally?

I don't think quality really matters if you're buying a stainless steel blade of any kind, since they're just showpieces. I have issues believing they'd sell combat-capable swords in a department store, even in Japan. Would there even be enough demand for such a thing to warrant purchasing and carrying them to begin with? Cheap knockoffs to sell to tourists, sure, but the real deal?
Beardhammer

Postby Ryom » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:27 am UTC

http://www.creativecloseup.com/home-dec ... lute-geeks

I'm posting that link just to watch Beardhammer's brain melt. But really beard, criticizing someone for spending money on home decor?

Anyway, back to TF2 I guess...
Ryom

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:
There's something mildly amusing about hanging long, hard swords all over your walls and mantel, just to see if someone comes in one day and picks up on the symbolism. Do you happen to collect spears as well?

Actually I collect neither, my walls are mostly blank except for a couple of framed posters of dogs playing poker.

On the topic of TF2: Walljumps and other crazy rocket jumps. How do they work?
BurningLed

Postby Vapour » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

Magnets.
Vapour

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:Unfortunately, you don't also have the suit+balaclava which turn invisible with the watch, do you :P

I have been shown who is the boss!

Beardhammer wrote:

I don't think quality really matters if you're buying a stainless steel blade of any kind, since they're just showpieces. I have issues believing they'd sell combat-capable swords in a department store, even in Japan. Would there even be enough demand for such a thing to warrant purchasing and carrying them to begin with? Cheap knockoffs to sell to tourists, sure, but the real deal?

You've just reminded me of that awesome bit in Paul XD

Great film...

Slightly off topic, but does anyone want to give me a refined metal for a bunch of supply crates? I have too many of the things, and I'm never going to buy a key.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Crates are near worthless, unfortunately :/ If you wait a while you can sometimes find people on trade servers willing to buy eight of the things for a scrap, else you can just discard them.
BurningLed

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

Dammit... guess I'll just have to wait to get my Sniper hat...

Gah.
SirBryghtside

Postby Rek » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:44 am UTC

I'm still waiting for valve to let us craft eight crates into a key.
Words Win Wars
Rek

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 am UTC

Rek wrote:I'm still waiting for valve to let us craft eight crates into a anything at all, even a freaking dalakhos, oh god, please let me end my stockpiling of the things in hope of them being worth something.
Box Boy
WINNING

Postby BurningLed » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

I've suggested crate crush recipes a few times on the SPUF, but despite the support Valve just doesn't seem keen on losing that bit of key sales.
BurningLed

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

...how much are Description Tags worth?
SirBryghtside

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

A key or A refined, generally.
Box Boy
WINNING

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

AWESOME.

I got one randomly today, and I can't be bothered to use it - so imma getting Ol' Snaggletooth :D
SirBryghtside

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming