Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CombustibleLemons

Re: Minecraft

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

can we make it so for new people to be on at least one OP has to be? then if they cuase trouble they can be quickly be banned
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:00 am UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:Hello friends,

I've been lurking the forums for awhile, then I registered, then I lurked, and now I'm posting. I'd love to get in on this Minecraft-party but have no way to be vouched for. Is there a way I could go on with super limited privileges for awhile until people trust me or something like that? Let me know if it is/isn't possible.

Cheers.

Once I get the Permissions mod straightened out, yes.

Vieto wrote:Still not whitelisted, I see. :(
D'oh.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:04 am UTC

Uh...ST, you forgot me as well...
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:18 am UTC

That was.. uh.. intentional. To see if you.. were paying attention. That's the ticket.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:40 am UTC

I'm gonna advertise this here, because I think letting the rest of the fora know about this event may make it a bit more successful.

FaiD (the little area at the bottom of the fora that you may not have noticed) is going to be hosting a charity event using a minecraft server as a focal point. Event dates are scheduled for June 24-26th, and you can gain entry by donating 10USD (monies to be sent to Child's Play) using the chipin widget found here and emailing the receipt number and MC username to faidcharity@gmail.com
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 am UTC

So after experiencing Amish's wonderful improvements to the train station first hand, I decided to move around a few blocks. Now we should see his idea (which, to be honest, is a little neater than the old return) minus the whole kills-the-rider part. :wink:

Also, I'm working on a map in photoshop w/ annotations. Should have it up within an hour or so. As a bonus, two more unannotated maps, courtesy of ST. Just switch the /xkcd.png at the end of the regular map's address to /xkcdtop.png or /xkcdob.png for super-happy-non-isometric-funtime viewing!

EDIT: Here's the first shot at a map. Since the server's down, I haven't been able to look up any locations, so if you feel like donating a name...

Map with Annotations

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:So after experiencing Amish's wonderful improvements to the train station first hand, I decided to move around a few blocks. Now we should see his idea (which, to be honest, is a little neater than the old return) minus the whole kills-the-rider part. :wink:

Thanks that happened too me twice and I wasn't sure how to go about fixing it.

oh and the map i can't read the annotations. they are a bit to small then when you zoom in they get blurred.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

You have to download the picture to view it full size (also choosing "large" at the top might be necessary, that's how i downloaded it)

Also i am not on the whitelist :(

The only reason i do not go on this server often is that i have one of my own.

Which brings me to my real point that ST could use BigBrother (or LogBlock) and set it to delete records after like a week(or how ever long he thinks it will take someone to notice, the default is three days).
then all it would take is a quick
/bb here
to see who has edited here
/bb rollback username
to roll back all his/her changes
/bb confirm
because you didn't give a radius and/or time parameter, and all will be good.(this example is for BigBrother)

Note: There seems to be a small debate (read nonexistant) over which one to use (BB or logBlock) but the truth, at the present, is that they basically offer the same features and it doesn't really matter.
Note2: If you go for BigBrother make sure you get the one developed by rcjrrjcr and N3X15 (not TKelly).

Reference: i have used BB without problems (except when it went inactive and before it switched authors) for about 4 or 5 months.
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

Also, I dropped off a load of cobble in the Nether courtesy of the Narnia Bureau of Mines.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:11 am UTC

Well, I found my base on the map. I'm not nearly as removed as I thought I was.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:15 am UTC

The server is (temporarily, I believe) crashed. Perhaps it's caused by too many people on? I think every time it's crashed, lately, has been when we'd more than five industrious workers.

Signs of a crash, usually, are stones reappearing or not dropping anything. ...though sometimes it'll pull through and only some of the reverting stones will revert.
Any attempt to say anything in chat normally acts as a coup de grace. I think.

---so, shall I play my colonize the moon map? Or futz around on the flatmap someone here uploaded (which has no plants; you have to travel past the bedrock wall to get them. ^_^)? Or perhaps try and see if I can repair the "Constant Eclipse" map that looks--in that it has a blotted out sun--much like what I want for Mordor?

Or should I study? Choices! (The colonize-the-moon map is too easy. ...and the 'achievements' are in the wrong order. ...but it's lovely and well worth a visit anyway. It makes me want to create a map also.)

An edit, since I'm blagging anyway: I found a very cool map for redstone tutorialling. None of my projects are likely to use redstone (I may make some use of it in mob-shunting for Mordor) so I don't feel like it's cheating.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2sj147s8s26brl2

There are other maps, but this one is the one I'm on until the server gets back and I can return to removing this inconvenient mountain from my path.
Last edited by Feylias on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 am UTC

Could I get on the whitelist? Pretty please? :D

EDIT: My minecraft username is Expotential

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:43 am UTC

ST, are you sure that the machine you run the server on has the resources to run the server, because it is unstable as fuck.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:20 am UTC

It's been worse tonight than I have ever seen it.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:44 am UTC

It appears to have been down for a solid hour. I just get End of Stream disconnects, or it times out.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Predator_freeman

Postby Predator_freeman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Hey can i vouch for stanley1996, to get a whitelist.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

the server is unstable at 5 people on and very unstable at 6. someone suggested getting a rented server.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:09 pm UTC

Amishdemon wrote:the server is unstable at 5 people on and very unstable at 6. someone suggested getting a rented server.

Well you get what you pay for... ST's been very generous so far.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

Right, so, after a bit (read: lots) of digging, it turns out that the server is crashing due to not enough RAM, and there is a command line option that allows the server to use more of it:
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar
but it appear that startup of the server is managed by Multicraft, and no command line arguments are available.

... so I don't know.

(TheMonkey1000)

EDIT: after more digging, craftbukkit has a memory change parameter in settings. So changing it to that may help.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

Yeah, the problem is probably more to do with a misconfiguration on my end than anything else.

And.. it.. uh.. is a rented server.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:00 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, the problem is probably more to do with a misconfiguration on my end than anything else.

oh I was unaware sorry, so... umm thanks!!

Anyhoo how does converting overworld coords to nether coords work exactly.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:06 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Yeah, the problem is probably more to do with a misconfiguration on my end than anything else.

oh I was unaware sorry, so... umm thanks!!

Anyhoo how does converting overworld coords to nether coords work exactly.

Divide by 8.

The height bit doesn't quite matter though.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:12 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:how does converting overworld coords to nether coords work exactly.

According to my limited testing, your Nether coords, multiplied by 8, roughly equal your overworld coords.

Your Y coord, OTOH, is nearly random.

The best thing to do for a great travel pair is to make a portal in the overworld, make sure you have extra obsidian, go through to the Nether, and see where your Nether portal takes you. If you like it, cool, if not destroy it and create a new one very close by. It'll link (probably) to the already-extant Overworld portal.

Then, make your passageway to the far end of your Nether path, create your portal there, and come out in the overworld. And, if you don't like where that portal comes out (if it comes out underground, for instance) destroy that portal and create another one nearby and it will probably link up.
<blag>
Spoiler:
I haven't experimented with this a whole lot, though; I've got stuff to build. ^_^ I did use the above-mentioned flatgrass map to build a house out of obsidian floating above an obsidian slab, surrounded it with a huge amount of TNT, then walled myself and a sheep up inside it just before making it go boom. No damage whatsoever to me, and the sheep's wool stayed on its body. This is probably old news to most, but I was interested. ^_^

I placed a few blocks online a few minutes ago, then noticed I was about to crash (evidence: I couldn't right-click into my chest), gave up waiting for the shoe to drop, logged out, and now can't log back in. Time to experiment in single player and see if I can figure out how to effectively use these note blocks.
<blag>
Last edited by Feylias on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:29 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:25 am UTC

Indeed, to make perfectly matched gates

Overworld gate: X Y Z

Netherworld gate X/8 Y Z/8
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:48 am UTC

So yeah. It's going to involve math. None of that high falutin wishy-washy minecraft destroying English major logic. We all know that kind of logic leads you to destroying all that is good and holy with giant holes in the ground!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:18 am UTC

I really wish I'd found this thread sooner. The game runs so smoothly now... <3

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:27 am UTC

For optimum minecraft performance I recommend OptiFog as well.

It also makes the world look less washed out!

Because of it I can comfortably play minecraft at normal render distance (with fogstart at 0.6) while running a bukkit server on the same computer (2007 iMac, GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM)
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

psion

Postby psion » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, the problem is probably more to do with a misconfiguration on my end than anything else.

Minecraft is just a very unstable game. I get random crashes and corrupt worlds relatively often. Throw in griefing and backups and it takes a notable amount of work to maintain a server.
Speaking of which, would you mind adding me to the whitelist (vpsion)? :D

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

We lost all the work Scallel put into the nether, I've asked Secondtalon for a rollback.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

Does anyone have any decent schematics for a sustained minecart climb? I want a system to get in and out of a deep mine.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

I do. But it was for my 16 x 16 hole I built. You just need to experiment and use boosters with redstone torches next to them whenever it seems fit. if needed build a tunnel up to surface for a more direct route.
To start you you be on somewhat of an angle and have a button, then a few blocks away have another booster.
\ - angled booster, off with a button wired to it
_ - normal rail
B - redstone booster

\____B for the bottom of it

This idea has worked for me a few times before and is pretty easy, just takes experimentation
these are words
type, type, type

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:I do. But it was for my 16 x 16 hole I built. You just need to experiment and use boosters with redstone torches next to them whenever it seems fit. if needed build a tunnel up to surface for a more direct route.
To start you you be on somewhat of an angle and have a button, then a few blocks away have another booster.
\ - angled booster, off with a button wired to it
_ - normal rail
B - redstone booster

\____B for the bottom of it

This idea has worked for me a few times before and is pretty easy, just takes experimentation

I like to use levers to power the rails - they only take cobblestone in place of redstone dust. I have lots of cobblestone.

I've found that for upwards slopes, having a powered rail every other block is sufficient to get any cart (whether there is a rider in it or not) to the top. Having a powered rail once every three blocks doesn't quite do it. So, if anyone wants to start looking for the optimal proportion, that should get you started.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:We lost all the work Scallel put into the nether, I've asked SexyTalon for a rollback.

Check and see if we're running Default or Craftbukkit. I don't think the Nether mod was removed, so that would be why it flopped to the other Nether.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

As far as efficiency goes, you best bet is to make a booster at the bottom. Make a 3x3 square of rails, with powered rails as the straights. Set a detector just before you enter the loop, and a series of repeaters to where you want to leave it. You'll keep going around the loop building what most minecrafters call "momentum" (it's really more like potential energy, but I'm not the one who named it). After a while the pulse will flip one of the corners, and you'll go rocketing most of the way up your tunnel. It's complicated, but uses a lot less resources than a straight climb.

Here's my painfully bad attempt at a schematic. R= rail, P=powered rail, D=detector, and +=repeater. Monkey's got a couple along the "mob spawner" line in ST's server if you want to see one in practice.

########R############
########R############
######RPR++#########
######P# P#+##########
######RPR#+##########
########D++#########

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

If you want characters to line up, you can use the [code] tags.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Spoiler:
As far as efficiency goes, you best bet is to make a booster at the bottom. Make a 3x3 square of rails, with powered rails as the straights. Set a detector just before you enter the loop, and a series of repeaters to where you want to leave it. You'll keep going around the loop building what most minecrafters call "momentum" (it's really more like potential energy, but I'm not the one who named it). After a while the pulse will flip one of the corners, and you'll go rocketing most of the way up your tunnel. It's complicated, but uses a lot less resources than a straight climb.

Here's my painfully bad attempt at a schematic. R= rail, P=powered rail, D=detector, and +=repeater. Monkey's got a couple along the "mob spawner" line in ST's server if you want to see one in practice.

########R############
########R############
######RPR++#########
######P# P#+##########
######RPR#+##########
########D++#########

I've tried that and only gotten minor gains with manned carts. For unmanned carts, you're better off to just use those rails in-line. I also found that marginal returns on loop time decrease swiftly and even go negative. After much testing I finally concluded it wasn't worth the trouble.

Did you ever get a loop like that to work efficiently?

Also, while I'm thinking about it: anyone tried to get in a minecart with a bucket of water recently? What the heck, Notch?! I thought he fixed that bug a while ago (at least, he did for chests... I would think something like that could be fixed in one fell swoop). Has it always been this way?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

The momentum loop trick (url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPVt8RVfwwI]video![/url]) is great if you don't have much gold, but otherwise you should just place boosters on the slopes.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

My beloved knows that if I have free time and if the ST server is up, all my other chores MUST be put on hold so I can further my progress there. ^_^

Since it was down earlier this morning, I played the Adrift! map. ...and I like it bunches. Minimalist maps with limited supplies make me happy, and this one's the most minimal; you wake up on a boat with no sails left and without the ability to de-anchor, and you have to Robinson Crusoe until you can create a proper return boat WITH sails (since your own is probably destroyed for parts, and the anchor chain's made of bedrock.)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/142280-surv-adrift-challenge-map/

Extremely neat.

Edit: I finally get to take my vacation time and... ;_; Server's still down!
Last edited by Feylias on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:23 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
blalobw wrote:We lost all the work Scallel put into the nether, I've asked SexyTalon for a rollback.

Check and see if we're running Default or Craftbukkit. I don't think the Nether mod was removed, so that would be why it flopped to the other Nether.

The /plugin command showed the nether mod in place, so yeah, that's the problem.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

It appears the host is down/having problems :cry:
Server won't respond to start commands

Return to “Gaming”