[Micro] Lataro's PYP BASTARD NES - Game Over: weiyaoli wins!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

[Micro] Lataro's PYP BASTARD NES - Game Over: weiyaoli wins!

Postby Lataro » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Lataro's NES BASTARD - Not too bastard, promise! :twisted:

Rules, from Weeks:

1. You may only talk about this game in this thread and in an appropriately named spoiler in the Discussion Thread. If you are not playing this game, you may not post in this thread.
2. You may not play to lose. This will be dealt with at the mod's discretion (expect an immediate modkill if you play against your faction).
3. Do not lurk. If you no longer want to or can't play, ask the mod as soon as possible for a replacement. If there are no replacements, you must keep playing until a replacement arrives or the mod decides to modkill you.
4. You may not edit your posts.
5. You may not post your role PM, or quote verbatim from it. You may paraphrase.
6. Votes and questions must be posted in

bold, on a newline.

You may also ask questions to the mod in PM.
7. You may not post game content in this thread after you are dead. (You may post death flavor.) If you are lynched, you are dead when the hammer is cast. Else, you are dead when the mod says so.
8. You may not post game content at night. It is night when hammer is cast or when the aforementioned deadline is reached.
9. The mod's decisions are final.

You will be given absolutely no info at all about the setup. There will be no MYLO/LYLO announcements. Whoever has the most votes at the end of the day is lynched. True ties, where no abilities come into play, are a NL.

You may trust your role PMs, there are no lies within them, I will assure you of that right now(unless I'm lying right now, that is.)

Day start of flavor will be announced once role PMs are out.

If ANYONE makes a post saying they are confirming without any actual content of any kind in it, they will be modkilled, this is not a joke, and there will be no exceptions.

That's how you do bastardry, right? :)

As for game specific rules, oh... lets have the following!

0. Game Specific Rules only pertain to what is explicitly stated in them, take that to mean what you will.
1. All questions to the mod posted in thread must start with, "Oh Mod, I humbly request your guidance." followed by the question. Questions will be answered, or perhaps not, depending on various unwritten factors that may or may not get decided on the fly.
2. Any words used to quantify the density of an object relative to its dimensions is forbidden, use any such word at your own peril.
3. More rules may appear down the road, they may not, some may vanish, all will be announced though, most likely.

Anyway, roles are going out, Day 1 will officially start when they are all out, do not post beforehand, lets make that another rule, k? :D

Lets have some fun now!

Players yet to fall to the forces of darkness! (Living Players)
1. more_people (yeah whatever)
2. Gopher of Pern

3. Ibarra (Admittedly, I do not know a lot of games for the NES. Never got to buy one.)
4. webby (I had a SNES, but not old enough to have played the NES)
5. mpolo (I only had an Atari 2600)
6. weiyaoli (What am I letting myself in for?)
7. BoomFrog (ok, fourth game, that's it, no more. Too interesting to pass up. Guaranteed no listeners, right?)
Last edited by Lataro on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:22 pm UTC, edited 9 times in total.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."
Lataro

Re: [Micro] Lataro's PYP BASTARD NES - D1: The Golden Age

Postby Lataro » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:19 am UTC

Everyone in Videoland was happy and all, the villains were defeated, the heroes exalted, the lands safe. Existence as the inhabitants knew it was bliss.

Then I showed up.

I am formless evil, pure and unfathomable, I spread darkness over the lands, and let loose my minions of chaos and destruction. I am an unstoppable force!

Luckily for the inhabitants of Videoland, they have all been though this before, new villain, same old story, blah blah blah, what a boring, long winded bastard. They rallied their forces, roused their heroes, and prepared to do battle once more.

Only, this new force was a bastard in the truest sense. No, literally, he was born out of wedlock, can you believe that?

Stuff happened, events occurred, and somehow you unlucky folks got swept into the storm. Have fun. :wink:

Day One starts now, it will end Friday at 8 PM EST.

Lataro

Postby Ibarra » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:35 am UTC

Oh Mod, I humbly request your guidance. Could you please post the list of players in the OP?

Anyway, we have 7 players. I think we may have 2 mafia among us.
That would give us one wrong lynch into Ly-Lo (assuming no Night Actions affect this)
Of course, since this is a PyP, the ratio of Mafia to Town may differ.
Red text is for solid facts.
Blue text is for accusations.
Ibarra

Postby Lataro » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:36 am UTC

Ibarra wrote:Oh Mod, I humbly request your guidance. Could you please post the list of players in the OP?

Your request is heard and granted.

Lataro

Postby mpolo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 am UTC

Two mafia would the most normal setup for this many players. With the "bastard" in the title of the game, we could really end up with even more unusual things, though. (I shudder at the thought of a cult in such a small game. I reassure myself in that there weren't any viruses for the NES as far as I know, since it wasn't yet Internet capable…) I suppose there can't be too, too many kills around, just because the game would be over too quickly (unless there are a lot of immunities going around as well).

Based on the comments at signups, I suspect that many people picked their game from the wikilist, so I wouldn't be overly surprised if we had some fairly obscure choices, although our awesome mod didn't need too much time to find the necessary ROMs…
Image <-- Evil experiment
mpolo

Postby weiyaoli » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:23 am UTC

mpolo wrote: although our awesome mod didn't need too much time to find the necessary ROMs…

I don't think that proves anything at all, since it is relatively easy to find these NES ROMs online these days. A simple google search would have probably got one up quickly enough.

I think we should probably go with around 2 scum as worst case scenario (being careful D2 if we lynched wrongly). I don't expect there to be a cult, but quickly glancing through a game list (Top 100 NES Games), I don't really see any games that would make it easy to lend towards a cult role. (Possibly games like Castlevania or Zombie Nation, but after a closer look at those I don't think that was really what they were about). @People who have more experience with the NES, was there ever a game with a virus or something that went around infecting things?
And you thought I was crazy...
weiyaoli

Postby webby » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 am UTC

Not quite sure how to start this one. I don't think that flavour-spec will be particularly useful at the moment given that there are so many different possible games and there's no obvious way in which games map to town/scum.

I agree that 2 scum would be the traditional amount for 7 players, but I don't think we should take anything for granted here. I had a quick look at a couple of the other bastard games and they got really weird. :P I imagine we'll know a lot more about the set-up after night 1.
webby

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:55 am UTC

Well, my experience with chatmafia pyp bastard games tells me that there are alot of things that can happen, which does mean that a simple 2 scum setup would be a bit unlikely.

Since it is almost useless speculating on the setup, I might speculate on the games people chose:

Castlevani, Zelda and mario are probably the most well known games from the NES. But then there were alot of movie tie-ins like Back to the Future, Aliens and Addams Family. I would say at least one of the first 3 would have been chosen, along with a movie tie-in, for those who didn't have much experience with the NES.

Speculation doesn't really get us anywhere though, as supposing someone had chosen mario, do we really know what kind of role would be given them?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby more_people » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:02 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:Well, my experience with chatmafia pyp bastard games tells me that there are alot of things that can happen, which does mean that a simple 2 scum setup would be a bit unlikely.

Gopher of Pern wrote:Since it is almost useless speculating on the setup, I might speculate on the games people chose:

Castlevani, Zelda and mario are probably the most well known games from the NES. But then there were alot of movie tie-ins like Back to the Future, Aliens and Addams Family. I would say at least one of the first 3 would have been chosen, along with a movie tie-in, for those who didn't have much experience with the NES.

Actually, I would disagree as I think everyone would assume someone would go for one of those games and therefore not go for that game.
Gopher of Pern wrote:really get us anywhere though, as supposing someone had chosen mario, do we really know what kind of role would be given them?

This I agree with as the role could be anything.
more_people

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:12 am UTC

My only presumption would be that scum are the villains from the games they choose and town are the good guys, for example if someone picked Mario Bros they might have Mario-esq powers if they are town and Bowser-esq powers if they are scum. We could all claim the game we picked now, that shouldn't reveal anything useful to anyone yet, but when we see the flavor of the kill if might give some hint which game it was from. For example if someone dies from a fireball or drowning in lava that could point to Mario Bros as the killer. Of course with a bastard mod such a strategy is probably guaranteed to fail. Mods generally don't like mass claims day 1.

Also, rolespec may be almost pointless now, but discussion of something pointless is better then no discussion.

Lastly, wtf is up with rule 2? Although I suppose it's impossible to explain the joke to me without risking Modly wraith, so I'll just wait until after the game is over and read about it in the discussion thread.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby Lataro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:34 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:My only presumption would be that scum are the villains from the games they choose and town are the good guys, for example if someone picked Mario Bros they might have Mario-esq powers if they are town and Bowser-esq powers if they are scum. We could all claim the game we picked now, that shouldn't reveal anything useful to anyone yet, but when we see the flavor of the kill if might give some hint which game it was from. For example if someone dies from a fireball or drowning in lava that could point to Mario Bros as the killer. Of course with a bastard mod such a strategy is probably guaranteed to fail. Mods generally don't like mass claims day 1.

Also, rolespec may be almost pointless now, but discussion of something pointless is better then no discussion.

Lastly, wtf is up with rule 2? Although I suppose it's impossible to explain the joke to me without risking Modly wraith, so I'll just wait until after the game is over and read about it in the discussion thread.

Lataro wrote:As for game specific rules, oh... lets have the following!

0. Game Specific Rules only pertain to what is explicitly stated in them, take that to mean what you will.
1. All questions to the mod posted in thread must start with, "Oh Mod, I humbly request your guidance." followed by the question. Questions will be answered, or perhaps not, depending on various unwritten factors that may or may not get decided on the fly.
2. Any words used to quantify the density of an object relative to its dimensions is forbidden, use any such word at your own peril.
3. More rules may appear down the road, they may not, some may vanish, all will be announced though, most likely.

Boomfrog has lost his vote for D1.

Lataro

Postby Ibarra » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:26 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:My only presumption would be that scum are the villains from the games they choose and town are the good guys, for example if someone picked Mario Bros they might have Mario-esq powers if they are town and Bowser-esq powers if they are scum. We could all claim the game we picked now, that shouldn't reveal anything useful to anyone yet, but when we see the flavor of the kill if might give some hint which game it was from. For example if someone dies from a fireball or drowning in lava that could point to Mario Bros as the killer. Of course with a bastard mod such a strategy is probably guaranteed to fail. Mods generally don't like *censored* claims day 1.

Except we don't know if the flavor of the kill will actually be accurate. Also, the roles are sent out on how the mod thinks the game is like. If X is a very good game that the critics love, but the mod hates, probably X would be a scum role/hard role to play as.

I don't think claiming the game names would be helpful.
Ibarra

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 am UTC

Oh Mod, I humbly apologize for my transgression. Thank you for your benevolent punishment.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby mpolo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

The town/scum leaning of a particular game seems to be based on our benevolent Mod's personal reaction to the game. The powers (judging from a pool of one) seem to be based at least tangentially on the content of the game. But I think that that could be wild as well -- Super Mario could get us some sort of druggy power based on mushrooms, for instance.
mpolo

Postby weiyaoli » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Yes, I don't think support a full out claim at all, especially since that particular rule seems like it was to catch out that tactic in particular. Luckily(?), it shouldn't change how many it takes to lynch since 4 is still the majority for 6 people, although the lack of any indication of how many it takes to lynch is slightly worrying. (But since there are rules about not posting after hammer, it does suggest there is no bastardry about that aspect at least).

BoomFrog wrote:My only presumption would be that scum are the villains from the games they choose and town are the good guys, for example if someone picked Mario Bros they might have Mario-esq powers if they are town and Bowser-esq powers if they are scum. We could all claim the game we picked now, that shouldn't reveal anything useful to anyone yet, but when we see the flavor of the kill if might give some hint which game it was from. For example if someone dies from a fireball or drowning in lava that could point to Mario Bros as the killer.

I'm not sure this would work out. Apart from the fact that we are unsure how much detail we will get in flavour posts, I'm not sure how this would help us since scum will very likely lie and if they had any flavour manipulation abilities this would allow for setting someone up. I just don't personally see how much useful information we would get from such a claim.
weiyaoli

Postby Lataro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Somewhere, deep within the realm of Videoland, forces were plotting to overthrow the heroes gathering to do battle with the formless evil that had arrived. They had grown to fear this power, and that fear breed servitude. Unfortunately for them, they had been betrayed from within...

"Hey comrade, so what powers did you get? I got a really neat role, my power changes based on what day it is, I can do an unblock able kill, a roleblock, and a forced vote depending on the day and circumstances. I'd rather not say the conditions that need to be met in case someone is listening, though I doubt that power would exist given the mod's dislike for it. What powers do you have, all I was told with my role was that you were metroid. We should refer to each other by our game in PM just in case, we can always false claim in thread."

No votes, deadline is 8 PM EST Friday.

Seven alive, four to lynch.

Lataro

Postby weiyaoli » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Grr... lost a post. I'll try to sum it up since I don't want to retype what I had:

This is what lataro actually said on listeners in the meta thread:
As for listeners. Krong is correct in saying that about me. The code used in Inception just left me thinking, "This is such a huge pain in the ass to deal with... fuck it." I hate them in general, however, as a player, I'd rather just say screw the code, if the mod wants to give scum names/chat/ability lists/ect to a random player, whatever, that's their problem. I'd much rather keep it simple, and play as if there wasn't a listener. If one exists and claims the next day and tells everyone who scum are, what their powers are, and everything else, then it'll be a short game, and I'll gladly watch the loss happen while putting no more effort in, if the mod allows such a thing to happen. Personally, as far as listeners roles have gone, I've liked Silknor's approach. He generally sends excepts, which contain very little useful info, but can be used as part of the larger picture, and at endgame to try and find false claims. In his games, I've never really seen the need for a code, since I never really felt he would give something away that would ruin the game.

Bolded very relevant part. He isn't actually against all listeners. BoomFrog is one that makes this misconception, did anyone else make this mistake? (Obviously scum might lie, but it might be worth seeing if this was common.) (FoS: BF)

Betrayed from within though sounds like a traitor role, but I suppose it might just be bastard omniscient mod since 1 betrayer out of two scum(?) seems worrying for what other anti-town factions there must exist to balance this. Also fits with our estimate of 2 scum ("Hey Comrade").
weiyaoli

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:The town/scum leaning of a particular game seems to be based on our benevolent Mod's personal reaction to the game. The powers (judging from a pool of one) seem to be based at least tangentially on the content of the game. But I think that that could be wild as well -- Super Mario could get us some sort of druggy power based on mushrooms, for instance.

I'm not so sure about that. That would entail that he disliked 2 (or more) of the games he played. It could just be random, and then he placed his thoughts there.

Now that is quite abit of wine there. If indeed we have a listener/public msg combo role, that would be valuable, but not anymore. It means one scum chose metroid, and the otherone chose one with differing powers dependent on time, maybe some kind of time travel game? With communist overtones?

If it is a gambit by scum, its not a very good one. It really doesn't reveal too much (not game breaking) but it might throw us off the scent just enough in a 50/50 situation.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby webby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

There are quite a few possibilities for what that that message is:
1. Listener/traitor role or the mod is going to post some scum PM's in thread.
2. Someone broke a rule and having a PM revealed is their punishment. (Although boomfrog is the only one I can see who's broken a rule in-thread.)
3. Someone has the power to post anonymous messages in the thread and is trying to mess with us.
4. The mod is messing with us and nobody actually sent that PM.

The flavour suggests betrayal, but whether by another player or the mod is another question.

I had a look at the grammatical constructions and tried to match them to players, but didn't get very far. The only odd things I see are the 'comrade', the 'I can do' when saying what powers they have, and the question without a question mark. A quick look hasn't matched any of them to any particular player.

I would have gone with the punishment option, but nobody seems to have done anything wrong in the thread. Maybe they did it in a PM? Still doesn't quite fit with betrayal though.
webby

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:02 am UTC

Really, FoSed for something I said in the signup threads? :roll: I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just mentally logged that as "something BoomFrog said".

The betrayal post seems like it was written wholecloth by our friendly mod. "I got a really neat role" seems an unusual way to say things and a bit of patting himself on the back. Also there's no reason to use names or refer to each other indirectly at all if it's a two person scum team. Dropping the "you're metroid" in seems completely unnecessary and thus deliberate. Lastly the role's powers seem overly complex and just the kind of thing to make us analyze everything for "the right circumstances" that allow those powers to be used.

Gopher of Pern wrote:and the otherone chose one with differing powers dependent on time, maybe some kind of time travel game? With communist overtones?
Wtf? :shock:

I think GoP and weiyaoli took this as truth too easily in a bastard game which feels like scum who know for a fact that it is false and overcompensate when trying to act like innocent townies. I doubt we will have much more to go on then this on D1 unless someone has some daycop results?

If I could I would, but I can't, Vote GoP
BoomFrog

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:21 am UTC

You do realise that 'comrade' is a common way to indicate communism?

The other thing I just realised is that if this is real, then scum would have daychat, as there was no Night 0.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 am UTC

Ok, wtf withdrawn but the not-vote stays since it wasn't based on that. Care to reply to the actual meat of my accusation?
BoomFrog

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:43 am UTC

The 'meat' of your accusation? Where you say that I took it as truth, when in fact, I posited 2 scenarios, only one of which I considered it truth?

Looks more like fat to me.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:01 am UTC

Your second scenario proposes is it a scum gambit, but you ignore the possibility that it is pure wine from our Mod, why?
BoomFrog

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:26 am UTC

....It didn't occur to me at the time?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:23 am UTC

Hmm, I accept your suspiciously reasonable reason. For now...

Un-not-vote.

Anyone else got anything to go on? Deadlines coming and if we don't lynch anyone then scum win. Lurker lynch? more_people?
BoomFrog

Postby mpolo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:30 am UTC

With the announced bastardry, I don't think we can safely eliminate the possibility that this is just a conversation-starter from the Mod. Since Lataro just had a negative experience with people trying to track grammatical constructions back to him, I would suspect that _if_ there were highly identifiable grammatical foibles in a message that was going to be revealed in this way would be in some way mitigated. There is also an extra space in unblockable, if you want to keep track of these.

That said, BoomFrog's response seems overly agitated about the thing.

As to the content of the (possibly) leaked message, I don't think that it's all that unusual that someone who thought that he wasn't being listened to would tell his partner that he knew the name of the game, but not its powers. But it probably is unusual that he is suggesting to refer to each other by game in PM, since with only two players, they will be referring to one another as "you". (This could still be a minor disconnect on a real PM, of course.)

My first thought is that the message should be moved a little bit into the background of our discussions. If we see signs that indicate that it might be true, we should take more heed of it. The only caveat there is that BoomFrog's response is at least moderately incriminating on the grounds that it is a disproportionate, flailing answer to a vague suspicion.

Ninja: We do have three days. We need to get scum-hunting, but there's no need to rush a vote in. Actually, "If we don't lynch anyone then scum win" is a little funny, I think. If we are 5-2, as most of us has been assuming, a no-lynch gets us to 4-2, which is certainly less pleasant than 5-2, but a far cry from a scum win. Or do you know something about the numbers that we don't, BoomFrog?
mpolo

Postby webby » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Not sure quite what to make of that discussion. Upon reflection, I agree that the phrasing (and timing, given that scumchat is usually only night) means that the most likely thing is for the alleged PM to have come directly from the mod.

On Boomfrog vs Gopher + weiyaoli - it is quite aggressive and semi-OMGUS from Boomfrog on Gopher, especially when it was weiyaoli and not Gopher who initially put suspicion on. Very quick to "vote", as well. However, it is also quite surprising that an experienced player such as weiyaoli would be so quick to think it was genuine.

So overall it makes me reasonably suspicious of Boomfrog and somewhat suspicious of weiyaoli.
webby

Postby webby » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:35 am UTC

Ninja'd by mpolo but I think we were saying similar things.

As to actual scumhunting, we still have plenty of time, no need to go into panic mode yet.

For now, as I think I've generally expressed in this and the previous posts, from scum to town:
Boomfrog > weiyaoli > Ibarra > more_people > Gopher > mpolo

Ibarra and more_people are lurking.
webby

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:58 am UTC

mpolo wrote:Actually, "If we don't lynch anyone then scum win" is a little funny, I think. If we are 5-2, as most of us has been assuming, a no-lynch gets us to 4-2, which is certainly less pleasant than 5-2, but a far cry from a scum win. Or do you know something about the numbers that we don't, BoomFrog?
I just mean in principle it is to scum's advantage if we no-lynch or have a hasty "oh no, here comes the deadline" lynch. As to the somewhat spastic "attack" on GoP, I'm just trying generate more conversation on D1.

To be serious I do feel weiyaoli and GoP are the most suspicious still but it is extremely slightly.
BoomFrog

Postby weiyaoli » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:28 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Really, FoSed for something I said in the signup threads? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just mentally logged that as "something BoomFrog said".

Not getting into how this is not actually a defense for anything, it was just a vague suspicion and noting that you assumed exactly the same thing the person writing that PM did and I especially asked to see if anybody had made the same mistake to see if that was a general misconception.

I did have reasons to think the PM was likely true, but looking back I guess they got eaten up in my lost post that I forgot to include again (2 scum like we guessed, the fact that it seemed like a reasonable power to have given lataro's view on it that I quoted). But I guess those are also exactly the reasons why it was more likely to be just wine from mod/player.

Looking back on it though, what bothers me the most about it now is the referring to each other by their games (unnecessary like mpolo/BF said when they could use you unless they were trying to mislead, but since they didn't expect a listener role I doubt this). I don't think it's that far fetched that scum could have day-chat though; it's not exactly too common in night games, but not impossible. However, in this case here, I think I must agree that it is probably more likely to have come from the mod/another player with flavour control powers (guess we would need to see D2 to see if the flavour pops up again).

webby wrote:Not sure quite what to make of that discussion. Upon reflection, I agree that the phrasing (and timing, given that scumchat is usually only night) means that the most likely thing is for the alleged PM to have come directly from the mod.

What is your logic behind eliminating the scenario where this is from a player with flavour control?
weiyaoli

Postby webby » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 am UTC

weiyaoli wrote:
webby wrote:Not sure quite what to make of that discussion. Upon reflection, I agree that the phrasing (and timing, given that scumchat is usually only night) means that the most likely thing is for the alleged PM to have come directly from the mod.

What is your logic behind eliminating the scenario where this is from a player with flavour control?

I don't rule it out, I just consider that the way the message is phrased - 'really neat role' and the stuff about the mod not liking listeners - make it more likely to have come from the mod. It's not impossible that it's a flavour message from scum (or an independent with a weird win condition), but I don't think it really matters either way. My statement was in the context of deciding whether the message was a genuine scum PM or not, and I was saying that it's far more likely to be concocted than to be an actual PM.

Fair enough though with your last post, I've still got my eye on you, but I'll consider but you below the two lurkers on my 'want to lynch' list.
webby

Postby Ibarra » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 am UTC

So about my "lurking", I am away from home and cannot post from 7 - 6PM. I go to sleep at roughly 11PM. That gives me 5 hours to post content in all my current games, so excuse me for not being able to post for 19 hours.

Regarding the "leaked text". I agree that it is oddly worded. "Hey comrade" is an odd way to start of things, and as BoomFrog mentioned, "I've got a neat role." is also oddly worded. "I'd rather not say the conditions that need to be met in case someone is listening." is also odd. There was a mention that someone may be listening, but at the same time, the one who wrote it said the name of a game that his/her partner had. My verdict on the "leaked message", it's not real. IMO a fake message sent my probably scum or the mod just playing tricks on us.
Ibarra

Postby Lataro » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 am UTC

m_p has received a modprod for failure to post within 48 hours of his last post. Failure to post within 24 hours will result in his modkill and black listing.

Lataro

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:03 am UTC

I'm not so convinced about the message's fakeness, but there is little point in discussing the contents of the message anyway, unless we get something to confirm it.

At the moment Boomfrog is really pinging me. Not only is there the "vote" on myself, when it was weiyaoli's post that he objected to more, there is a misinterpretation of my post, strange comment on how NL means scum win, claim his attack on me was just a way to generate discussion, and the sorta-but-not-quite backtracking on myself and weiyaoli.

I also have a gut feeling about mpolo. Something about the first sentence of his second post just seems off. I can't explain it though, so unless something comes up, I will just leave it be.

My favourite for lynch is boomfrog atm. Distantly followed by mpolo and Ibarra.

Vote: Boomfrog
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby mpolo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:25 am UTC

mpolo wrote:The town/scum leaning of a particular game seems to be based on our benevolent Mod's personal reaction to the game.

Is this the sentence you are referring to? Again, I am operating from a pool of one, but in my PM, the Mod specifically talks about his reaction to my game, and this reaction seems to have determined that my game was town, where, as with most games, there were certainly other possibilities. I did select a game that I expected to come out as "town", so it might still be coincidence.

With BoomFrog, I am primarily concerned with the wild flailing that came out of a tiny amount of suspicion. I hope that he will post enough today for me to come up with a measured opinion of him.

It's interesting that you are pegging Ibarra as mildly scummy, where I have seen him as mildly helpful/townie. But I think that it would be too obvious linkage if you and weiyaoli were the scum team, so that that's probably not the case. But the situation makes me somewhat uneasy. Which makes my current feeling:

SCUM BoomFrog - Gopher - weiyaoli - Ibarra TOWN

As with your feelings, BoomFrog is way "ahead" at the moment. However, I don't feel as certain as you seem to be about his scumminess. I could see a frameup as very possible…
mpolo

Postby weiyaoli » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:12 am UTC

Lataro wrote:m_p has received a modprod for failure to post within 48 hours of his last post. Failure to post within 24 hours will result in his modkill and black listing.

"Oh Mod, I humbly request your guidance." If m_p is modkilled, will his role be revealed upon death?
weiyaoli

Postby Lataro » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 am UTC

If m_p is modkilled, or anyone else is for that matter, their role will immediately be revealed.

Lataro

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 am UTC

Alright, well my purpose was to generate discussion and it certainly worked. Of course most of the discussion is about me so this is going to be inherently OMGUSy. As to my acting a bit weird, I agree rereading I've been much more whimsical this game. But it's my fourth game and most of the others are very analysis heavy. This is Day 1 in a Micro Bastard game so I thought I'd kick back and be a little silly. Hopefully that doesn't get me killed, I'll tone it down from here on out (assuming I live).

1. more_people - Cruising for a modkill
2. Gopher of Pern wrote:At the moment Boomfrog is really pinging me. Not only is there the "vote" on myself, when it was weiyaoli's post that he objected to more, there is a misinterpretation of my post, strange comment on how NL means scum win, claim his attack on me was just a way to generate discussion, and the sorta-but-not-quite backtracking on myself and weiyaoli.
I objected to ignoring the possibility of the Bastard Mod making something up on D1 which both of you equally did, I don't see how you interpreted that as objecting to his post more. The reason I backed off is because we were dominating the conversation and I wanted to see what others thought. Although I agree I've acted suspiciously I think you've jumped on me a little too hard here. How is misinterpreting your comrade=communist post scummy, that's just a mistake that town or scum could equally easily make.

Conclusion: Scummy.

3. Ibarra wrote:Regarding the "leaked text". I agree that it is oddly worded. "Hey comrade" is an odd way to start of things, and as BoomFrog mentioned, "I've got a neat role." is also oddly worded. "I'd rather not say the conditions that need to be met in case someone is listening." is also odd. There was a mention that someone may be listening, but at the same time, the one who wrote it said the name of a game that his/her partner had. My verdict on the "leaked message", it's not real. IMO a fake message sent my probably scum or the mod just playing tricks on us.
A complete repeating of what was already said. Although I agree that there's little more to be said about the mod's post I think there is much that could have been said about other people's reactions.

Conclusion: Possibly in a hurry but kinda scummy.
4. webby wrote:On Boomfrog vs Gopher + weiyaoli - it is quite aggressive and semi-OMGUS from Boomfrog on Gopher, especially when it was weiyaoli and not Gopher who initially put suspicion on.
I'm just confused by this. How was it OMGUSy (at that time) for my "vote" on GoP when he had said nothing about me? Are you assuming that I assumed they are a team?

Everything else has been very reasonable and logical.

Conclusion: Slightly Townie

5. mpolo - Also very reasonable but can you elaborate on what Ibarra has said specifically that seems townie to you? I'm not seeing it.

Conclusion: Slightly Townie
6. weiyaoli wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Really, FoSed for something I said in the signup threads? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just mentally logged that as "something BoomFrog said".

Not getting into how this is not actually a defense for anything, it was just a vague suspicion and noting that you assumed exactly the same thing the person writing that PM did and I especially asked to see if anybody had made the same mistake to see if that was a general misconception.
I misinterpreted your accusation because I didn't even consider that you were saying I was one of the scum chatting because I thought it was so obvious that the PM was fake. There's not really any defense I can give anyway though except I believe the PM is fake.
I did have reasons to think the PM was likely true, but looking back I guess they got eaten up in my lost post that I forgot to include again (2 scum like we guessed, the fact that it seemed like a reasonable power to have given lataro's view on it that I quoted). But I guess those are also exactly the reasons why it was more likely to be just wine from mod/player.
So you did consider that it might be false and weighed the possibilities but then completely forgot to mention it in your new post? Not even, "I think this is real." That seems implausible.

Slightly scummy.

If I could vote I'd vote GoP
BoomFrog

Postby weiyaoli » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:09 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:So you did consider that it might be false and weighed the possibilities but then completely forgot to mention it in your new post? Not even, "I think this is real." That seems implausible.

Yes I did forget to mention "I think this is real" the second time, but since I included this originally tacked on at the end since I was just listing the things I had from memory:
weiyaoli wrote:Also fits with our estimate of 2 scum ("Hey Comrade").

I think it was clear that this was what I meant.
BoomFrog wrote:I misinterpreted your accusation because I didn't even consider that you were saying I was one of the scum chatting because I thought it was so obvious that the PM was fake. There's not really any defense I can give anyway though except I believe the PM is fake.

Right:
BoomFrog wrote:I think GoP and weiyaoli took this as truth too easily in a bastard game

So you saw that I thought the PM was true and because the PM was so obviously false from your point of view, I couldn't possibly be accusing you of being the scum chatting? How does that make sense? That would make sense if I obviously thought the PM was false and therefore accusing you based on it made no sense.
weiyaoli

Next

Return to Mafia