The "I Did Good" thread

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The "I Did Good" thread

Postby ams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

You're probably right, Nath. 135 can probably wait until next Wednesday. It's just that 135 is one of those big, visual goals, being able to bench with the "big boy plates."
ams

Postby Kromix » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

:)

I got back to the gym and said no to free donuts! :D
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:
Kromix

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:19 am UTC

Cycled to Wales and back. Oooh yeah.

Okay I live in Bristol, and I turned back as soon as I got to Chepstow, so it's not that impressive in the grand scheme of things. I also had to stop and buy snacks because I was in danger of having a hypo. Still, 25 miles total is pretty good seeing as I go out on my bike once in a blue moon. My legs are absolutely destroyed. The aching means I did good, but it means I'm now walking funny.

Also on the "I did good" side of things: I just went the whole weekend without drinking any alcohol. Let's see how long I can go before crawling back into a bottle.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Rhesonance » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:39 am UTC

Parents brought home a huge bag of egg rolls. Didn't have any. :D
Rhesonance

Postby Zapheod » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

Tough Mudder Colorado completed. 9.5 miles, 4500 feet of elevation change starting at 7000 ft elevation, 26 obstacles, 2.5 hours and in the top 40 people of my 300 person wave.
Zapheod

Postby katethegreat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:59 am UTC

Did my 2nd midnight run tonight. It's not much, maybe two or three miles and certainly not running the whole time, but I feel accomplished! :D And I've started up counting calories again on my phone's "lose it" app. I know people say, blah blah blah dieting is bad, but I find it really helps me keep track of what I'm eating and avoid empty calories.
My gym membership starts on July 1st, I can't wait to do the yoga and aerobics and zumba classes.
My goal is to build up strength and stamina... I'm going to pass the prereqs for lifeguarding this year, I know it! (I tried 2 years ago, but I'm a weakish swimmer, just barely made the speed test and I couldn't do the dive and swim to the dock with a 10 pound weight test.).
katethegreat

Postby iroZn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 am UTC

Did 50 squats and then my friend convinced me to do another 50!

Felt awesome although I'm pretty sure I wont be able to walk tomorrow. :(
I am imaginary, prove me wrong!
iroZn

Postby casoid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:35 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Cycled to Wales and back. Oooh yeah.

Okay I live in Bristol, and I turned back as soon as I got to Chepstow, so it's not that impressive in the grand scheme of things. I also had to stop and buy snacks because I was in danger of having a hypo. Still, 25 miles total is pretty good seeing as I go out on my bike once in a blue moon. My legs are absolutely destroyed. The aching means I did good, but it means I'm now walking funny.

The Bristol/Bath cycle route is pretty good. It's mostly built over an old railway, so it's clear, flat, and free of traffic, and it continues all the way through Bath to Bradford-on-Avon making a 60-mile round trip from the Clifton area. Used to do it as a student - it's a thoroughly enjoyable route, particularly in the summer. Starts in a park East of Temple Meads.
casoid

Postby Save Point » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:24 am UTC

I gave up soda for a month. Granted, it wasn't for fitness reasons. I just haven't been sleeping well. But I did it. I don't see much reason to go back since I haven't missed it though, at the same time, sleeping hasn't improved much. I honestly think I'd sleep better if I had a shot of whiskey before bed. But hey.

Oh, and I'm in the running for a free gym membership for a year. Requirements were three separate cards with 25 days on it to be punched out. Second gets you a t-shirt, third enters in a raffle for the membership. We'll see.
Save Point

Postby Evengeduld » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

Themis wrote: third enters in a raffle for the membership. We'll see.

Good luck ;)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?
Evengeduld

Postby Bassoon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

Thirty-two miles. Less than three hours. One sore body.
Bassoon

Postby Saurus33 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:42 am UTC

I've dropped my resting pulse by 31 bpm since I started exercising! I feel like this is a good improvement for the period of time I've been doing it.
Saurus33

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:30 pm UTC

Reviving this...

I played an all-nighter badminton tournament last night. Started out at 7 pm with the regular training for the kids, then at 9 the tournament started, until 6 am. I had initially signed up for a mix double, but my partner had to cancel due to a foot injury, so it looked like I was out of luck. But at the very last moment somebody got 6 teams together to do a men's double league. Unfortunately the skill levels in this group varied greatly and it was quite obvious from the start that me and my impromptu partner (who hadn't played in a year, and wasn't very good when he was playing regularly before that) would be one of the bottom teams. And yes, we did come in dead last. But that doesn't matter, it was great fun, I coped better than I hoped and I'm not completely trashed (I took a nap from 9:30 to noon and am trying to stay up until 10 pm tonight to get back in my regular pattern).

I'll also be playing in the men's double regional competition for my club, first match on wednesday. This is the first season I'm a full team member (after 2 seasons of being a reserve player and only getting to do 2 matches) and I hope the difference in opponents will improve my game. Yay!
Quack!
EvilDuckie

Postby raike » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

Swam over a mile for the first time this morning. Granted, it took me nearly an hour, but I didn't have to stop!
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)
raike

Postby Tounx » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

I have been eating a lot of good protein lately, and learning how to cook!
Tounx

Postby maninblack » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

Eight days in a row that I've counted calories and logged my exercise. My fitness pal is working for me. Seven of those eight days I was under my net calorie goal.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.
maninblack

Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby studyinserendipity » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

I started seriously working on doing handstand push-ups instead of just mucking around with other exercises with the bizarrely improbable hope that I would one day just "be strong enough" to do them without practice.

Best I can do right now is walk up into a handstand against a wall and hold it for a few seconds before walking back out, but it's a start!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.
studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby maninblack » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

Fitocracy == Healthy addiction.

I just scored 82 pts over my lunch break by doing standing calf raises and body weight squats in my office.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.
maninblack

Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby Adacore » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:57 am UTC

ams wrote:You're probably right, Nath. 135 can probably wait until next Wednesday. It's just that 135 is one of those big, visual goals, being able to bench with the "big boy plates."

I know exactly what you mean (although at a considerably lower breakpoint). I did my first full set of 40kg bench on Saturday, which is the first time I've been able to put the 10kg plates on the bar (and also means I'm no longer the only person in my gym using a weight under 40kg for bench).

Personal bests for chin-ups (3 sets of 5) and squats (65kg) as well. It's been a good week. Even if I am still hilariously weak compared to most people, progress is exciting!
Adacore

Postby Nath » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I know exactly what you mean (although at a considerably lower breakpoint). I did my first full set of 40kg bench on Saturday, which is the first time I've been able to put the 10kg plates on the bar (and also means I'm no longer the only person in my gym using a weight under 40kg for bench).

Personal bests for chin-ups (3 sets of 5) and squats (65kg) as well. It's been a good week. Even if I am still hilariously weak compared to most people, progress is exciting!

These milestones are always silly, but fun. My last one was a one-plate OHP (135lb/60ish kg) a few months ago. My pressing lifts are very stubborn; I'm maybe 7lb away from a bodyweight overhead press, and I expect it will take me years to get there.

Good job on the PRs! Every kilo counts.
Nath

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed May 15, 2013 12:24 am UTC

making a hard effort to get my speed on my bike up again.

this is the hardest i have trained since my knee injury wiped me out, making me unable to ride for a period of over a year.

my mile times are down, i can feel it becoming easier to ride fast and ride long, im pushing myself harder every day. its become so much easier to ride every day instead of doing a ride one day and procrastinating for a week.

i feel like a bird thats got his wings back :D
Tomlidich the second

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed May 15, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:i feel like a bird thats got his wings back :D

Yay! I know the feeling, I've had 2 periods of several weeks where I couldn't ride my bike (or engage in any sports for that matter) due to a dislocated shoulder and surgery to that shoulder and the recovery periods afterwards.
Quack!
EvilDuckie

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu May 16, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:i feel like a bird thats got his wings back :D

Yay! I know the feeling, I've had 2 periods of several weeks where I couldn't ride my bike (or engage in any sports for that matter) due to a dislocated shoulder and surgery to that shoulder and the recovery periods afterwards.

mhmm its so difficult to get moving again when your schedule has been upset like that, you get used to staying down and taking things too easy, it becomes a habit.
Tomlidich the second

Postby EvilDuckie » Fri May 17, 2013 5:30 am UTC

In my case it wasn't, I was bouncing off the walls and they actually had to convince me not to start biking and other sports too soon. It helped that the fysiotherapists that were dealing with me were used to dealing with active sportspeople all the way to pro athletes and also very active themselves. In fact, one of the guys treating me was world champion in several track events (iirc 400 m sprint and 110 m hurdles) in the "masters" category.
Quack!
EvilDuckie

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 20, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:In my case it wasn't, I was bouncing off the walls and they actually had to convince me not to start biking and other sports too soon. It helped that the fysiotherapists that were dealing with me were used to dealing with active sportspeople all the way to pro athletes and also very active themselves. In fact, one of the guys treating me was world champion in several track events (iirc 400 m sprint and 110 m hurdles) in the "masters" category.

well, now i feel just a tad lazy.
kind of the reaction though when even trying to walk across the room is painful for a span of about a year.
Tomlidich the second

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Didn't mean to make you feel bad. Hey, we all have our own goals and achieving them is a good thing no matter what the goals are.
Quack!
EvilDuckie

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue May 21, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

no, no hurt feelings here haha. just all of us have different ways of going about things.
Tomlidich the second

Postby adieutenant » Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

A housemate was going crazy trying to get me to do a pizza offer with her. My favorite pizza.

I ended up having some vegetarian chicken with a bit of tamarind and soy sauce and split it into the next day's breakfast. But I want it so muuuuch
adieutenant

Postby thalia » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

I ran 10km in 48 minutes.

New personal best.

Fuck yes.
One of these days.
thalia

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

something made me really upset, didn't end up doing anything wreckless/ getting drunk/ smoking the rest of my pack of cigarettes.

so, did pretty good.
Tomlidich the second

Postby hummerz5 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:42 am UTC

A while back I matched my springtime PR from track season... 800m in 2:38 or something like that.
However, I'm not running now because of winter. Hopefully when track comes back around, I'll be ready to match it again.
hummerz5

Location: Earth>Western Hemisphere>North America>US>Nebraska>???

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 am UTC

looked back on previous post on "i did good" im doing much better things on a daily basis that would qualify for this thread than that. actually, im a little ashamed that my "i did good" back then was the bare minimum "not fucking up tremendously"

also, continuing to make my special lady very happy. i think i did good.
Tomlidich the second

Postby studyinserendipity » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Had my black belt test today for Tae-Kwando. It went really well! Afterwards, one of the 3rd dan black belts told me that my roundhouse kicks were quite good. Plus, I kicked my sparring opponent in the head - twice!! We don't get the results until next week, but I'm pretty sure I passed :)
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.
studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby DireKobold » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:53 pm UTC

Went do the gym. Did weighted sled sprints. Didn't throw up.
DireKobold

Postby Samik » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:42 am UTC

DireKobold wrote:Went do the gym. Did weighted sled sprints. Didn't throw up.

Three 'goods' for the price of one. Nice.
Samik

Postby DenisL704 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:41 am UTC

Ran a 6:31 mile, and benched 255 lbs. Anyone up for the challenge?
DenisL704

Postby hummerz5 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:50 am UTC

This toothpick can beat your mile by about twenty seconds... but can only bench five sets of 85 lbs or so. :x
hummerz5

Location: Earth>Western Hemisphere>North America>US>Nebraska>???

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

DenisL704 wrote:Ran a 6:31 mile, and benched 255 lbs. Anyone up for the challenge?

*weeps uncontrollably*
Tomlidich the second

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:16 pm UTC

8:00 mile, 210 benchpress (barely) , but I can probably do five rounds of stand-up striking against anyone here.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. :P
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

10:00 mile, 125 benchpress on a good day, But my reflexes and such are the best you have ever seen.
Tomlidich the second

PreviousNext

Return to Fit Club