Math Websites

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: the khan academy

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

I used his youtube videos to get ready for linear algebra, really clear teaching style.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.
mmmcannibalism

Postby Mike_Bson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

I love his videos. I used them to learn the basics of calculus.
Mike_Bson

Postby Eastwinn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

I can't stand his voice, unfortunately :(
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.
Eastwinn

Postby minno » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:08 am UTC

I've looked at a few of the videos. He does a good job explaining problems and works through quite a few. My only gripe is that the pace in the videos is a little too slow for me, but that's much better than being too fast for anyone.
If you fight fire with fire, you'll get twice as burned.
minno

Postby z4lis » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:19 am UTC

Wow, that's rather impressive. I'd really like to make a playlist of videos that push the math a little further and covers some basic abstract math. Some set theory and logic with some very elementary analysis, algebra, and such. I've always sort of dreamt of having some sort of resource where a person with enough determination could work from the most basic, basic arithmetic up and up through more complicated subjects. I'd say that this is an excellent start without having actually watched any of the videos myself. However, the credential he presents, if true, are sufficient for me.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.
z4lis

Postby rrwoods » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

Eastwinn wrote:I can't stand his voice, unfortunately :(

I hadn't thought about this :-P That is extremely unfortunate.

EDIT: Oh hey, there's a "Math websites" thread... I hadn't seen that :oops: Mergie-merge?
26/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.
rrwoods

Re: Math Websites

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Thy will be done.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Matriisitulo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

Hi!

After a fast search, I found no references to a math blog called Walks on math. I have personally found this to be a very interesting blog. :)

A short summary of the blog from the blog:
My idea is to start blogging once or twice a week on some interesting mathematical topics. “Interesting” will have several meanings here. I will interchangebly write posts which are interesting for
(a) high school students
(b) begginer university math.students
(c) advanced university math.students
(d) mathematicians
(e) researchers in fields close to my own
(f) people working in other fields
It is quite clear that these options are (unfotunately) almost mutually exclusive, but I promise to make as much effort as possible to make my entries to be interesting to as to many of above cathegories as possible at the same time. I will write in English since I consider it as the most universal language nowadays and I have experience in writing math in English.

-MT
Matriisitulo

Postby Aleifr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

I'm having trouble finding anything on discrete mathematics. The book we're using in class is terrible, and I'm kind of short on lecture notes. I found some on this website, which someone listed earlier: http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/ln.html
But it isn't really satisfying.

Don't think anyone has mentioned this:
http://sparkcharts.sparknotes.com/

I use it mostly to get sparkcharts, which are like quick notes for revision. But there are also sparknotes, which go more in-depth in various subjects.
Aleifr

Postby mcdrez » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

I keep in surfing for the sites that will be fit for my Grade School kids...its much appreciated if you recommend me a great site...Looking forward and Thanks in advance :)
mcdrez

Postby StaleMilk » Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 am UTC

I have been trying to do complex analysis on my own and i would really appreciate any sites that a good explanation of it from the basics.
StaleMilk

Postby silleknarf » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Paul's Online Notes combined with Wolfram Alpha are my first ports of call when I have Maths assignments, great for first and second year degree stuff.
silleknarf

Postby NathanielJ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

I made a stat distribution calculator a little while ago (for computing p-value, z-values, t-values, f-values, etc):

http://www.statdistributions.com
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com
NathanielJ

Postby Dason » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

It's pretty nice. Is there a reason you don't allow non-integer degrees of freedom for the t-distribution (or the other distributions for that matter)?
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby NathanielJ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:47 am UTC

Dason wrote:Is there a reason you don't allow non-integer degrees of freedom for the t-distribution (or the other distributions for that matter)?

Quite honestly I'd just never thought about it, since I've never had a need for non-integer degrees of freedom myself. I'll add it to the list ;)
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com
NathanielJ

Postby oxeimon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 am UTC

the irc #math channel on irc.freenode.net is a great resource too.

And, if you're a grad student, mathoverflow.net is great
oxeimon

Postby modularblues » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:54 am UTC

modularblues

Postby ted ersek » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

For important stuff for high school and undergraduate students try
http://www.jimloy.com/math/math.htm
Although I have an Masters in Electrical Engineering and a great interest in math, and I found a few things there that I found very helpful.

Also M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun has been updated and is online at
http://dlmf.nist.gov/
ted ersek

Online Differentiator

Postby djnorris_2000 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

I'm trying to teach myself Calculus, working from the Understand Calculus book from www.teachyourself.com but I'm having trouble when I can't get the right answer to the quiz questions.

Does anyone know of a website that will differentiate equations and show how it arrived at its answer so that I can see where it is I'm going wrong? I've found plenty of differentiation tools by searching Google but they all go straight from the expression to the differential without showing how they got there.
djnorris_2000

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:45 am UTC

If you have a look at

Code: Select all
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=diff%28sin%28x^2%29*e^x%2C+x%29

you should be able to see a "show steps" button on its first answer.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.
jestingrabbit

Postby Jexas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:58 am UTC

Hey all. I just started math at college this semester and I was struggling a bit with proofs. Once someone I'm working with specifies the first step or two I can usually get it, but when I look at pretty much any question that starts with "Prove..." My mind is completely barren of methods to start. Are there any websites or articles that give a good overview of proof tactics or methods? My math is currently Calc 3, but I'm also taking Honors Mechanics, which is pretty proof based as well.

Thanks,
Jexas
Jexas

Postby dcb2011 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

There are several collections of links on the social bookmarking site Delicious (that is what it is for).

Here is one that is relevant to this thread:

Math Sites on Delicious

All pages are conveniently tagged, to make finding a particular type of online math resource easy: forum, blog, software, reference, etc.
(Click on the "alpha" link on the right side of the page to have tags ordered alphabetically, makes them easier to go through.)
dcb2011

Postby 5pinan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 am UTC

dcb2011 wrote:There are several collections of links on the social bookmarking site Delicious (that is what it is for).

Sigh. This gave me hope, for a little while...

...you see, the other day I was browsing around, and I found this funky little math site. You typed in some text, and it would come up with an equation that, when graphed, would spell out the text you typed (a la Tupper but with English text rather than a formula). It showed you the graph too.

But of course, I didn't bookmark it -- "I won't forget that", I said to myself. Bah! I've Googled, I've Binged, and I've come up blank. Curse the dissolute decade of my twenties, that ruined my short-term memory.

Does anyone reading know where the site may be found?
5pinan

Postby gfauxpas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 am UTC

Jexas wrote:Hey all. I just started math at college this semester and I was struggling a bit with proofs. Once someone I'm working with specifies the first step or two I can usually get it, but when I look at pretty much any question that starts with "Prove..." My mind is completely barren of methods to start. Are there any websites or articles that give a good overview of proof tactics or methods? My math is currently Calc 3, but I'm also taking Honors Mechanics, which is pretty proof based as well.

Thanks,
Jexas

Have you tried http://www.proofwiki.org?
gfauxpas

Postby bigd777 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

My son uses the Khan Academy. He finds just watching the video's very helpful. I think we all learn slightly differently. He has dyslexia and that can add challenges for his math or not.
bigd777

Postby Talith » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

The website you never knew you needed http://randomgreekletter.co.nr/ .
Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture

Postby bigd777 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

The khan Acadamy is also very good if that is your learning style.
bigd777

Postby dcb2011 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:57 am UTC

5pinan wrote:...you see, the other day I was browsing around, and I found this funky little math site. You typed in some text, and it would come up with an equation that, when graphed, would spell out the text you typed (a la Tupper but with English text rather than a formula). It showed you the graph too.

But of course, I didn't bookmark it -- "I won't forget that", I said to myself. Bah! I've Googled, I've Binged, and I've come up blank. Curse the dissolute decade of my twenties, that ruined my short-term memory.

Could this be it?

http://webdemo.visionobjects.com/equation.html

Beyond that, I cannot think of anything.
Of course, there are many online graphers. You type in an equation and a graph is produced.
Or you type in some data and a graph is produced.

Your description is a little confusing: you type in text, a graph is produced, and then text is output (the same text you just typed in?!).
dcb2011

Postby Dason » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:03 am UTC

dcb2011 wrote:
5pinan wrote:...you see, the other day I was browsing around, and I found this funky little math site. You typed in some text, and it would come up with an equation that, when graphed, would spell out the text you typed (a la Tupper but with English text rather than a formula). It showed you the graph too.

Could this be it?

http://webdemo.visionobjects.com/equation.html

Beyond that, I cannot think of anything.
Of course, there are many online graphers. You type in an equation and a graph is produced.
Or you type in some data and a graph is produced.

Your description is a little confusing: you type in text, a graph is produced, and then text is output (the same text you just typed in?!).

They mention Tupper so I doubt it. I think they mean you type "Hello" and then you get an equation that plots something that looks like "Hello".
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby knappy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

A math website that is below the difficulty level of math overflow (but quite well populated) is:

http://math.stackexchange.com/

Questions posted here need not be 'research-level'.
knappy

Postby Hellekin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:18 pm UTC

Nice online math game, college level difficulty.
http://www.graphwar.com/
Hellekin

Postby kizolk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:42 pm UTC

Could someone point me to good resources for basic to advanced maths? I know it's a lot to ask, but I'd like to find free online resources that basically start from scratch, and that are well-structured. I don't want to miss any building block of the greater mathematical knowledge, if you know what I mean. I'd be particuarly interested in resources that stress the purpose of what we're learning -- that is, not simply a how to knowledge, but also why it works that way, what it is useful for and why it should interest me. IDK if that exists... :'(
kizolk

Postby z4lis » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 am UTC

@kizolk:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I've heard great things about Khan Academy.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.
z4lis

Postby Tirian » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

The Khan Academy is fantastic at what it does, but there are a lot of gaps in a full collegiate mathematical education. To this point, his efforts have been restricted to applied analysis, so you've got calculus, intro to ODEs, linear algebra (but only R^k), and two semesters of statistics. That's a lot, but there is still no foundations, real analysis, abstract algebra, logic, graph theory, or anything else of that sort.
Tirian

Postby kizolk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

As I said, I kinda want to start from scratch, so I'll worry about more advanced topics later. From what I've seen, this site is exactly what I was looking for, thanks z4lis!
kizolk

Postby delooper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

MathOverflow is down. I'm so bored.
delooper

Postby DataGenetics » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

I know it's a self plug*, but if you like reading the works of Martin Gardner (he was a great influence in my life), you might like some of the postings on my blog.

http://www.datagenetics.com/blog.html

*Read a couple of articles before flaming :)

/\/ick
DataGenetics

Postby econogirl » Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

A great site for teaching is NASA's PUMAS, Practical Uses of Math and Science. Essays written by professionals who explain how they use math in their work. Well done.
econogirl

Postby Kristen23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am UTC

I chanced upon this Math website which has some really interesting kids' math games, useful for both classroom teaching as well as for homeschooling parents. The best thing about this website is that they have math games, activities and worksheets arranged grade wise, so you can pick and choose what suits you. Worksheets, mobile games, tips for parents - the ideal resource for those who wish to teach math to their young ones.
Kristen23

Previous

Return to Mathematics