Recommend one artist

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Recommend one artist

Postby Rippy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

Pretty much as the title says: you pick your favourite band, and recommend it here, preferably with a link to a good song or video of theirs.

I'm gonna recommend The Strokes. Here's my favourite song (although the video is boring.) They're a great indie rock band.

So go ahead, suggest away. But limit it to the one artist please so that people don't get overwhelmed. Maybe if this thread does okay, people could recommend an artist per genre or something. I just think most will be ignored if there are tons of bands being listed off.
Rippy

Postby Cai » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

I'm going to come out of left field and post a band most people probably won't/don't enjoy, unless you're actually into the genre. The genre is math rock. Or maybe noise rock. Genres are stupid. Because this is AWESOME regardless.

My recommendation is Hella, which used to be a guitar/drum duo, but have since then added many more members into the band. I prefer the old days, and this video will be a symbol of their technical ability. Even if you don't like the music, you have to admit how talented they are. Also, the drummer headbutts a fucking cymbal in it.

Hella - Hello Greath Architects Of The Universe/Big Time And The Kid
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am
Cai

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

Last edited by Sprocket on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:47 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q9ZUNm8twA
Hawksley Workman

Fix'd and seconded.

My recommendation is Mortiis.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

The National. How these guys are not huge by now I don't know (listen until after the shouting).

More here.
crazyjimbo

Postby ICDB » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

The White Stripes
This song is called Black Math. Here are the lyrics.
ICDB

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
Hawksley Workman

Fix'd and seconded.

My recommendation is Mortiis.

I'd wanted to show Bullets, but only equally, and they didn't really have it on youtube.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

Stars - Your Ex-Lover Is Dead

They are a bit pop, but damned if they aren't my favourite band right now. This was the first song I ever heard by them, and was the best song from the previous album.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby carr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Stars - Your Ex-Lover Is Dead

They are a bit pop, but damned if they aren't my favourite band right now. This was the first song I ever heard by them, and was the best song from the previous album.

You stole mine, I was going to post them and mention Reunion.

So I'll go with Broken Social Scene.
carr

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

liars - plaster casts of everything

from their new album.

THIS VID IS NSFW
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls
scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby Rippy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

ICDB wrote:The White Stripes
This song is called Black Math. Here are the lyrics.

Thank you. My next choice was gonna be The Hardest Button To Button.

Music aside, that is the most pwntacular video ever.
Rippy

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Ooooh, they're good! Thanks, I have some investigating to do. :)
crazyjimbo

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

Get the album "In Our Bedroom After The War" it is IMMENSE.

But blame Ren, not me. She's the one who put me onto them in the first place.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby davef » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:02 pm UTC

Don't ever ask me this question in person unless you want to walk away with a list of about 300 artists. I simply cannot answer those 'fave artist/band/album' questions. I never have just one, more like thirty at a time.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.
davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

This isn't favourite. (Were it favourite I would have to have posted a Johnny Cash song). Instead this is your chance to reccommend somethign awesome that you think maybe people would like but not have seen.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Rippy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:14 pm UTC

Yeah, I said "favourite" in the post, but what I meant is just that you pick a good one. Fortunately everyone's picked non-mainstream bands I've never heard of :D

I'll have to look into The National, they sound like something I could get into.
Rippy

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

Hawksley Workman

Excellente :)

Now, I would NORMALLY recommend Clutch, but the thing is, I ALWAYS recommend Clutch. They're a semi-big American band, and they're going to be getting a lot of play, since I heard them LAST NIGHT during a preview for a new show this fall... so after, what, 14 years of epic albums, their weakest one will make them famous. Of course.

But no, I am going to recommend Big Sugar. They're Canadian, they're harder than most metal groups, they've got more funk than a truckload of rappists, and they're smoother than just about anything out there. (They also broke up, but you can hear their new incarnation as the Texas band Grady, who I am going to see next month). YouTube doesn't do them justice, because they NEED high-quality audio and good speakers, but here's the best I can find. None of their best songs are on YouTube, but if you want to hear them, send me a PM.

Big Sugar - Ride Like Hell

(Yes, he's playing the guitar with his microphone stand)
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby pollywog » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

Shihad playing Big Future live.

These guys are awesome, and this song is the same. It's where my sig comes from. The link has some minor swearing in it, so NSFW or children ages 3 and under.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby davef » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Yeah, I said "favourite" in the post, but what I meant is just that you pick a good one.

Ok, I was a bit off the mark there. However, my original point still stands - it's really hard for me to pick one. I am so tempted to link you to about thirty bands!

But for now I'll just point you at the North Atlantic Oscillation. Go there and listen to Painting Maps From Memory. (Jesster's heard it, he'll vouch!).

When you're done with that, check out Hybrasil. That album was engineered and co-produced by my flatmate.

And if you feel like something a bit more mellow, try The Guggenheim Grotto. Mates of mine. I played bass and guitar with them for a while.

Enjoy!
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.
davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:01 pm UTC

*Vouches*
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby SkaBassist » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

And if you feel like something a bit more mellow, try The Guggenheim Grotto. Mates of mine. I played bass and guitar with them for a while.

No way! I love them. Great songwriters.

My recommendation is Hella, which used to be a guitar/drum duo, but have since then added many more members into the band. I prefer the old days, and this video will be a symbol of their technical ability. Even if you don't like the music, you have to admit how talented they are. Also, the drummer headbutts a fucking cymbal in it.

From what I've heard so far, they're pretty damn impressive. I've been wanting to get into mathcore/whatever for a while now. Any other suggestions in the genre?

I'm going to have to suggest Cake. They're amazing, and essentially made thier own genre. Not many modern bands do that. Don't stone me, but I put them on par with the Beatles.

Also, the entire genre of ska. Check out Reel Big Fish or Streetlight Manifesto to see if you like it. They both put on some of the best shows you'll ever go to.

Cake

Reel Big Fish

Streetlight Manifesto
SkaBassist

Postby Cai » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:23 am UTC

Hell yes I do.

Lightning Bolt is a similar set up, except instead of a guitarist it's a bassist, and he makes his bass sound like hell is screaming. They play awesome 'guerilla shows' which are basically in the middle of the crowd, and because a majority of Lightning Bolt fans are dumb/douchebags, they end up getting hit by the drummer. Good videos of them are hard to find, but here are two that might grab your interest.

Lightning Bolt Live In Tokyo
Lightning Bolt - Dead Cowboy

Black Eyes were an old Dischord band (Fugazi, Minor Threat, Q And Not U) . They had two drummers, two bassists a guitarist (mostly for noise) and everybody just yelling. They're an old, dead band so it's hard to find good videos as well, but here's one (that's part of a 3 part series, you can find them yourself).

Black Eyes - Deformative/Ten

Pure Japanoise is the band Boredoms. They are crazy. That is all I can say. Here they are.

Boredoms Live At The ATP Festival

This band is probably one of the more accessible bands. They're influential, I guess. The Jesus Lizard. The descriptions are getting shorter because this is taking a long time to post.

The Jesus Lizard - Boilermaker

Now that this post is full of parentheses and pretentiousness, there you go.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am
Cai

Postby Rippy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:15 am UTC

Yes, Cake is awesome also. :D Nugget is teh shit, only RATM has repeated the f-bomb more times in one song that I know of, and still made an awesome song out of it.
Rippy

Postby SkaBassist » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:34 am UTC

Rippy wrote:Yes, Cake is awesome also. :D Nugget is teh shit, only RATM has repeated the f-bomb more times in one song that I know of, and still made an awesome song out of it.

If you liked that, you should see "Another FU Song" by Reel Big Fish.
46 F-bombs in a 1:06 minute song.Impressive, I know.
SkaBassist

Postby damienthebloody » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:57 am UTC

HECK YES. I love that band.

For my part:
Negura Bunget - Inarborat (Live)
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.
damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby Cabhan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:10 am UTC

This band may be a bit out of left field, but I'm a big fan of Mägo de Oz (note: music is fine, but video may possibly be NSFW depending on what part is showing). They're a Spanish heavy metal band with a big Celtic influence. I really like their stuff.
Cabhan

Postby notallama » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:56 am UTC

not my favorite, but pretty good for reccomending:

mindless self indulgence – lush
notallama

Postby SkaBassist » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:17 am UTC

They're all alright, but:

Lightning Bolt and Black Eyes both sound like they could take lessons from Death From Above 1979.

Jesus Lizard is pretty cool, but I have a feeling the recordings would sound a lot better.
SkaBassist

Postby Pobega » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:33 am UTC

Dinosaur Jr, they're a very good, very early garage band. Look them up on YouTube, I recommend the song "The Wagon", but anything by them is pretty good. I haven't heard a single bad song yet (Although I'm not too crazy about their most recent album).
Pobega

Postby xooll » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:03 am UTC

Agalloch. I can't conceive how anyone could not love this music, yet they are for some reason not revered as demigods by most people. I have no choice but to conclude that this is because most people haven't heard it.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.
xooll

Postby thefiddler » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:21 am UTC

You're asking the impossible of me.

So I'm going to try and keep the list in the very single digits. >.>
The Stiletto Formal (I recommend "Hills Like White Elephants".)
Tokyo Rose (Again, a song recommendation: "We Can Be Best Friends, But Tomorrow I'll Be...")
Rise Against (These are both really good songs, but you should check out their MySpace and listen to "The Good Left Undone".)
Fugazi (OK, they don't have an actual MySpace or anything on Purevolume, so go to that... impostor... MySpace and listen to ""Waiting Room".)

OK, I kept it down as much as I could. :(
If anybody wants any other recommendations, just PM me. I'd be happy to give you lists of awesome bands. ^_^
thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby lowbrass » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:25 am UTC

xooll wrote:Agalloch. I can't conceive how anyone could not love this music, yet they are for some reason not revered as demigods by most people. I have no choice but to conclude that this is because most people haven't heard it.

Agolloch kicks major ass. Huge fan of Ashes Against the Grain.

65daysofstatic. I guess you could call them math rock? I kind of think they sound a little bit like Explosions in the Sky, but with electronic mixing/samples/etc.

I'm kind of on a post-rock/math-rock kick right now, so I'll also recommend Volta do Mar. This band has two bass players. One plays a 5 string, and the other plays a 6 string. They have most of the melodies. They are kick ass.

Edit: I should say HAD two bass players, they broke up :(
lowbrass

Postby Marbas » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:03 am UTC

Einsturzende Neubaten: An Industrial (a genre classification they deny) group that produces some very pretty music and some very noisy music.

This is one of their sadder songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TssuSYrxVI

Coil: A very different Industrial group from Neubaten. They make strange folksy music with lots of occult themes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAKKoQUs ... ed&search=

I am sorry I could not choose between the two!
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?
Marbas

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Yes, Cake is awesome also. :D Nugget is teh shit, only RATM has repeated the f-bomb more times in one song that I know of, and still made an awesome song out of it.

Their fourth album is SOOOOOOO good! (it was one of those, I love this band, but maybe they will let me down...NOPE! Better than ever!)

I have all their albums, And their fifth(Pressure Cheif: '04) album is so bad.... :-(

But the rest of their stuff is AWESOME! Comfort Eagle is their best, though. it's SO GOOD!

I think I need to listen to Motorcade of Generosity ('94) again. I hardly even think of it. I usually just think of Prolonging the Magic('98), Fashion Nugget('96) and Comfort Eagle('01).

They are one of my favorite bands. They played here for free the first year I lived here, but I missed it, because I had no one to go with and felt akward going alone. It was free too.

It freaks me out how well Amazon works. I look at a cake cd and it tells me other people who bought it also bought a Beck cd. Granted I don't like Odelay much, but I Beck is another one of my favorite bands. It was also the Cake cd I don't like though, so it makes sense.

SHNIKIES! B-Sides!
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby FACM » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

MTTV - Hear Me

Least, I'm pretty sure that's Hear Me. MTTV's a really good rock band, currently playing in the Ohio/Michigan area. If you have a chance to go to a show of theirs, take it.[/url]
FACM

Postby Rippy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:37 pm UTC

@CatProximity: I have Fashion Nugget, Prolonging the Magic and Pressure Chief, I'll have to get Comfort Eagle sometime, if you claim it's better than Fashion Nugget (which was an eargasm)

Also, since there's a huge list of artists just the same, go ahead and name off a couple more if you want. I'll do so now.

Ok so first, a second recommendation for the White Stripes.
Fell In Love With a Girl, AWESOME video done with nothing but Lego
Hardest Button To Button, also an awesome video

If anything, just watch those for the music video, they're the coolest I've ever seen.

Also, one not for the average listener would be Primus. Very alternative.
Southbound Pachyderm
Too Many Puppies
Rippy

Postby KicktheCAN » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

I can not possibly pick a favorite band, I have to give you at least three:

The Fratellis
Maximo Park
Los Campesinos!
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here
KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby schrodingersduck » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

I'm going to say ¡Forward, Russia! with "Nineteen". The video is a bit odd, and the band is very pretentious (all their songs are numbered, they spell their name with an upside exclamation point etc.), but who cares when the songs are so fantastic!
schrodingersduck

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

mmm good. They the same Stars who do a cover of "this charming man?"

This is why I hate british videos...and a lot of other videos. Just a gimick, an effect, no story, nothing happens.

pollywog wrote:Shihad playing Big Future live.

These guys are awesome, and this song is the same. It's where my sig comes from. The link has some minor swearing in it, so NSFW or children ages 3 and under.
Not bad.

schrodingersduck wrote:I'm going to say ¡Forward, Russia! with "Nineteen". The video is a bit odd, and the band is very pretentious (all their songs are numbered, they spell their name with an upside exclamation point etc.), but who cares when the songs are so fantastic!
GOOD! I was a little too mesmerized by the video for awhile to listen to the music, but once I did it was good. :~)

I reccomend Smoke City
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=BxWu2idEGnM&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tIYoorXGITE] With You[/url]
Underwater Love
Last edited by Sprocket on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:07 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Next

Return to Music