Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SurgicalSteel

Re: Minecraft

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

I'm trying to install the Better Than Wolves mod and it seems to be going poorly. I get ModLoader installed and the game runs fine, then I install BTW the same way I installed ModLoader and I just get a black screen after logging in. I even downloaded a new exe from minecraft.net and forced an update to get a clean install and the same thing happens. Any ideas?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Eheu

Postby Eheu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:Incidentally, I'm not smart enough to figure out what the name 137_036's nerd meaning is. Let_oeg? ...well, but "137_036" is a pretty nice snow-biome seed. I spawned at roughly -11/77, and there was a cave network right under me with three openings to the surface, some iron, and some mossy cobblestone that made hissing spider sounds. It's not quite "gargamel" or "3666440496532277820", but it's cool.

Reciprocal of the fine structure constant, since they didn't let me use a decimal point. >> I debated 'Nearly 137', but I figured I'd be consistent with elsewhere.

blalobw wrote:Until we get some good anti-griefing plugins installed and tested we unfortunatly have to be a bit selective about letting folks on, sorry. Pretty much we're limiting it to folks who have been on the server a while, or who have been on the forums a while, or folks who are vouched for by someone from either of the first two groups.

Sorry about that, I know how hard it is to find a good server that's open to newcomers.

Ergh, no worries. I don't really post on the forums unless I have something to say, which is pretty rare, and as a result most folks don't know me, I imagine. :P The folks who hang about in the EVE Online xkcd channel might sorta know me, I guess, but whether they'd count for a vouch is a different matter (FWIW, I'm Kybernetes Moros, there). No intention of griefing or what have you, but that's what they all say, etc. etc. :U
Minecraft: 137_036

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I'm trying to install the Better Than Wolves mod and it seems to be going poorly. I get ModLoader installed and the game runs fine, then I install BTW the same way I installed ModLoader and I just get a black screen after logging in. I even downloaded a new exe from minecraft.net and forced an update to get a clean install and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

The last time I got the black screen when installing mods updating java fixed my problem. It wasn't that mod though, and it was the last MC version so YMMV.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:40 am UTC

Hm, tried updating and no luck. Thanks anyways.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:09 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I'm trying to install the Better Than Wolves mod and it seems to be going poorly. I get ModLoader installed and the game runs fine, then I install BTW the same way I installed ModLoader and I just get a black screen after logging in. I even downloaded a new exe from minecraft.net and forced an update to get a clean install and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

I could be mistaken, but I don't thing changing out your minecraft exe gets you a "clean install." To get a clean install, go to %appdata%/.minecraft and delete the bin folder. It'll download a fresh copy of everything the next time you launch it.

Other than that, I can only think of generic problems that tend to arise when installing mods
1. Did you delete META-INF?
2. Conflicts with other mods?
3. Are you installing the latest version of BTW? Is that version compatible with the latest version of minecraft (1.7.2, I believe)?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 am UTC

Well, I had to get a new exe to get the options button at the login screen so I could force an update. I thought forcing an update would get me a clean install, but in any case I tried deleting the bin folder and running Minecraft again to get a new bin folder, dropped in the latest ModLoader and the latest BTW and still no luck. Well, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the latest, I'm getting it from http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... d-june-27/
--Flobots "Mayday"

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Try grabbing the .jar version of the launcher and run that from the command line:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -jar minecraft.jar
(You may need to adjust the path to java depending on where it's installed.)

You might get to see some useful error messages in the console.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:13 am UTC

I'm pretty sure that BTW still hasn't been updated for 1.7.2, and you might need a 1.6.6 minecraft.jar to use it.
she/her

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:54 am UTC

So close. Downgraded to 1.6.6 and I got to the Mojang splash screen, but just got a black screen after that. Oh well, this is too much work just to play a game.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:47 am UTC

blalobw wrote:it's been up for a while now, running 1.7.2 I don't know what's going on, but given my lousy connection if I can get on anybody should be able to.

Whoah. I'm running 1.7.2 on my desktop, but apparently that computer's instal is AFU. Now that I've updated my laptop I'm fine. Gods, it's so good to be back. Good timing, too; just finished my sky-islands survival test. ^_^

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:16 am UTC

Whitelist update!

Various folks have been added based on thier posting history.

amishdmeon
 antiorb
 blalobw
 cadiac
 cazador0
 chibbell
 cjdrum
 Dthen
 Expotential
 fouriuosman
 ganalef
 Gatchaman
 gorbash84
 _infina_
 jahoclave
 logansch
 magnanimous_xkcd
 mieulium
 mr_roosevelt
 nbonaparte
 NieXS
 predator_freeman
 Scallel
 SecondTalon
 SkyDivingYeti
 surgicalsteel
 swordbreaker
 stanley1996
 theamazingrando
 thecommabandit
 themonkey1000
 walkerm930
 wierdscott
 xanthir

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Did anyone ever get a full piston elevator to work in vanilla minecraft? I can't seem to come up with a solution that doesn't look horribly overcomplicated.

The basic problem seems to be that they don't work like the mod did, where sticky pistons remained sticky when retracted, thus allowing you to just power them all on starting from the bottom and then power them all off starting from the top. If you do that now, you're left with all the pistons (except the bottom) one spot below where they were. For example, if when extended they were in positions 1,3,5,7,9 they're now in 1,2,4,6,8.

And like I said, I can't come up with a process to lower them all that's not stupidly complicated to make out of redstone.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:31 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Did anyone ever get a full piston elevator to work in vanilla minecraft? I can't seem to come up with a solution that doesn't look horribly overcomplicated.

The basic problem seems to be that they don't work like the mod did, where sticky pistons remained sticky when retracted, thus allowing you to just power them all on starting from the bottom and then power them all off starting from the top. If you do that now, you're left with all the pistons (except the bottom) one spot below where they were. For example, if when extended they were in positions 1,3,5,7,9 they're now in 1,2,4,6,8.

And like I said, I can't come up with a process to lower them all that's not stupidly complicated to make out of redstone.
I'm *trying* right now. It's challenging, but I'll get there eventually. Hopefully.

Edit: Finally gave up. The straight up piston elevator will never work for more than 2 pistons, for the reason you stated.

But what if you had 2-tall piston elevators, and then worked in some sort of system that pushes you to another one, on and on till you get to the top? Hmmm...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

You could do that all the way, would be simpler. Get pushed up, then onto one at that level, then up, then to the side, ad nauseam....
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

That's probably the smart way to go. Right now the thing I'm really annoyed at is the fact that power to one piston also goes to the piston under it. Although really it's not so much that as the fact that the way in which that's handled doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it essentially powers the bottom one first, thus making it so the top one isn't being powered any more and so isn't extended. Sometimes it powers the top one first, thus making it so the bottom one can't push it. Apparently the point of the feature was to enable whole walls of pistons to be made (facing outward rather than upward), which I suppose is a more common use than complicated elevators. Still, make the damn behavior consistent!
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

GAH my whole idea for sand-based lifts is fundamentally flawed. Just tried it for the first time and the game basically hates you for it.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Eheu

Postby Eheu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

Hah; got bored and decided to take a few screenshots of my (small and basic) construction on a pretty inactive server owned by a friend.

It's a small lodge-type thing (in dire need of some decoration) which I used as a base for a simple mineshaft -- though that only leads about two thirds of the way; there is a second almost directly below that leading to the bottom, but I needed to dodge a cavern on the way. My OCD had me filling in the empty space next to the ladder created in construction, heh.

These led to what's pretty much a reprise of the second image, with the difference that this time it's immediately above the bedrock layer, where I've started tree and wheat farms. My mining for iron and what have you also lead me to a lava lake, which could be pretty handy in the future, though I've yet to explore the rest of the cavern. I was thinking about extending the little artificial pool my waterfall leads into off into a kind of canal to the open sea, but the twin problems with that are first that it's directly in front of a friend's own artificial island with tower, and that the 'open sea' isn't even close to being in sight. :P
Minecraft: 137_036

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

...now Minecraft is just fucking with me.

I was only testing the part of my circuit that made them go up. Nothing fancy, really. I get on the piston, push the button, the pistons flip out and don't work right. I looked at the circuitry. I couldn't see anything wrong; everything was getting power, all the RS latches were working correctly, I put in plenty of delay. I tried again and similar things kept happening. Clearly something was wrong with the circuit I just wasn't seeing, right? So I figured I'd get a better vantage point and just power it with a torch. I put the torch right in the line of redstone leading from the button, where it couldn't possibly have affected anything else. It worked perfectly the first time. WTF?

(Avatar by Sungura)

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

Perhaps one of the buttons is too close to a piston and doing strange things?
This was my problem at some point.

Also: I am working on a 6 piston elevator currently and going up is trivial, but going down is significantly more difficult.
I can make them all contract manually with switches from a distance but i just have to get the timing right with repeaters.
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

I redid things slightly, but not really appreciably, and now it seems to be working fairly reliably. No idea why, I'm gonna chalk it up to "redstone makes little sense".

In any case, yeah, I'm in the same situation but with five.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Redstone is truly screwed. I don't even get the basics of it. Hell, I don't understand how the plain dust tries to shape itself based on the input devices you give it (and other dust), but not output devices. It makes for a lot of ridiculous additional blocks and crap.

Say, if for whatever reason, a piece of redstone dust forms a L shape, then any blocks that require power or whatever on the other two sides will not get power. There is absolutely no way to give them power in the configuration. The only solution is to move said target block away by 1, and put dust between them. Then, the dust can't be easily concealed by putting a block on top; it's got almost no height, but yes, it's "almost". Why is it a ridiculously thin block, anyway? It's not like you can put anything on top. And don't even get me started on transferring power vertically.

So yeah. This thread needs more screenshots! My BTW-creative-mode world got it's first pulley-powered bridge - it's a 60 meter long structure with lights and an external power source (a power line to the local waterwheel).

Side view, with bridge raised, shows the guide catwalk spanning the bridge (with lights, serving as a beacon) and the bridge itself tucked up. You can see the mechanism lining the top, basically just a long row of gears and axles, all suspended above the pulleys, and then separate axles extend downwards into each pulley (the initial plan was to have them connect directly, but pulleys don't have a top input slot, forcing me to do so from the sides, so I did them in pairs). All 9 pulleys are visible.

Here's the waterwheel and the power lines connecting it to the bridge. The output axle is just left of center. It powers 3 other lines (1 into the mineshaft, 1 into the mine elevator, and 1 towards the to-be-made dock), but this is the only above-ground one. A master kill switch sits here, which can turn everything off if necessary (which also lowers the bridge, so it shouldn't be done casually). Maintenance catwalks line the towers, with an access ladder. In the foreground is a water tower/lighthouse hybrid that sends water past the waterwheel.

Finally, here's the bridge, from inside, being lowered. Due to the way mechanical power works, there's a slight delay in transmission, meaning the nearer platforms will descend before the further-away ones (and same goes for raising). This makes for a very dramatic cascade effect. Switching the bridge is as easy as flicking a switch, which I lowered right into the building by mechanical power, instead of redstone - because redstone just sucks vertically. So here's the bridge, fully lowered.

Now to complete the redstone wiring so I can have levers on both sides. A couple of buttons and a T-Flipflop should do.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

I saw a video on youtube of an elevator that worked like this that could theoretically travel infinite distances. It did only go one way, however...

The video's cool either way.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I saw a video on youtube of an elevator that worked like this that could theoretically travel infinite distances. It did only go one way, however...

The video's cool either way.

That video inspired me to make one of my own. Of course, I had to fix up the redstone (I mean, come on - that number of repeaters that thing takes is quadratic in terms of the length!). It still only goes one way, but it's a bit more manageable.

I'll throw up some pics of the circuitry. If someone would like an explanation (the delays took me a little while to figure out!), I'd be happy to provide one.

2011-07-04_17.08.16.png

Overview of the circuitry/rail

2011-07-04_17.08.46 - Copy.png

This takes a pulsed input, and repeats it. There's a 12 tick delay between each pulse.

2011-07-04_17.09.06.png

It took me a LONG time to come up with this bit. All it is is a 16 tick delay that can tile. The redstone on the top layer has a graphical glitch - it's really only connecting in an "L" junction.

2011-07-04_17.09.19.png

4-tick pulse generator. Buttons are too long and I'm not precise enough with a lever to get it to work every time.

Getting it to turn is gonna be a bit difficult... and it's slower than minecarts, but totally worth it for the novelty.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

OK, I think I've finally got it.

You have to make it go up, which is the easy part. Then you have to make them all go down by basically making the pistons 'punch' the blocks above them to pull them back at every stage.

...yeah not gonna happen.

Luckily I've been too engrossed with other piston things to care. I'm starting to realise how awesome I could make a monster trap - my first idea was a hole with stone pressure plates all across the floor, and pistons suffocating them that were activated by this. However, this meant smaller animals like pigs and spiders were too short for it, which stuck the trap, and it eventually got blown up when one creeper jumped in, meaning another creeper could walk on top and murder me. And then the other one escaped, which screwed everything up - but it could work for monster spawners (just need to find one) and PvP servers (speaking of which, can I get whitelisted [and told the IP]? I've been thinking about popping in [MineCraft name is 'Ulharvutha']). But for now, my new plan is to have the same design of guys suffocating, but this time I remove the pressure plates and make it lever-activated, so I lead them in and then flick the switch so they all die. That means I can place the piston-traps on the lower surfaces to get rid of the spider problem, and can also have water to take my winnings to me more easily - genius, but I bet it'll all go very wrong somehow.

But if I see one more T Flip-Flop in my life...
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

What about this? (Where P is the base of the piston and | is the extended sticky part)

Stage 1:
|
P
|
P
|
P
Stage 2:
P
|
P
|
P
Stage 3:
P
P
|
P
Stage 4:
P

P
P
Stage 5:
P
|
P
P
Stage 6:
P
P
P

Is that even possible?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:What about this? (Where P is the base of the piston and | is the extended sticky part)

Stage 1:
|
P
|
P
|
P
Stage 2:
P
|
P
|
P
Stage 3:
P
P
|
P
Stage 4:
P

P
P
Stage 5:
P
|
P
P
Stage 6:
P
P
P

Is that even possible?

Yeah, that's basically what I meant by 'punching'. And it would take far too much redstone effort - I'll leave this to the geniuses.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Yeah, the pattern for retracting the elevator would need to be:
#1 retracts (counting from the top)
#2 retracts
#3 retracts, #2 expands and retracts
#4 retracts, #3 expands and retracts, #2 expands and retracts
#5 retracts, #4 expands and retracts, #3 expands and retracts, #2 expands and retracts

The wiring would not be pretty. As a bonus, each time it says, say, "#2 expands and retracts", #2 is on a different level...

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 am UTC

I don't think the wiring would be too bad:

A tower of RS-NOR latches controls the state of the pistons. We put that in an OR gate (READ: cross the wires) with an "override" line. To raise the pistons, send a signal up one side of the RS-NOR latch tower (with appropriate delays, of course).

To lower the pistons, first deactivate the RS-NOR latch tower, from the top down. Next, repeatedly send an override signal down the tower (That is, if we number from the bottom up, send an override signal in the following order (for a 5 piston high tower): 5 4 3 2 1 5 4 3 2 1 5 4 3 2 1 5 4 3 2 1...), for however many times is necessary. (If there are N pistons in the elevator, it'll be somewhere around N repetitions that are required).

It's slow, but simple (well, at least relatively).

Before someone else becomes equally frustrated, it seems the order in which pistons are placed decides their precedence:
2011-07-04_20.10.02.png

Oddly enough, if a repeater is used in place of redstone, then it will always pick the bottom one. Since we need it to pick the top one... repeaters are out. Which means, among other things, that the elevator itself is restricted to 2x1. You could make it 2x2, but then you wouldn't have any room for a door.

I'm going to try building one now. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

EDIT: I don't think it's the order of piston placement that determines precedence in that case. There's something weird going on here...

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:13 am UTC

I am closing in on a solution for a Gravel elevator. However, unlike the piston elevator, it will only ever be able to move upwards 12 places... wait, I might have a solution for that...

edit: I officially have a working gravel elevator (which works only 1 way, up to 12 blocks, one at a time, but it works!). I'll post pics/videos on Wednesday, when I have a proper internet connection; by then, I hope to have it reversible, able to move up all at once, and perhaps move further than 12.

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:54 am UTC

I was thinking of making something like that because it would be much easier than what I am doing (how am i supposed to make that circuit tile!? arrrg) but completing this one will feel so much better.

@phlip: no the wiring is NOT pretty
2011-07-05_01.46.40.png

2011-07-05_01.52.22.png

2011-07-05_01.46.58.png
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:04 am UTC

Is there a T flip flop design that's stackable? Even though the wiki lists 11 designs, none look stackable to me. They all have torches on top of blocks, or are just ridiculously tall to begin with (designs D & E).

(Avatar by Sungura)

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:23 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:I am closing in on a solution for a Gravel elevator. However, unlike the piston elevator, it will only ever be able to move upwards 12 places... wait, I might have a solution for that...

edit: I officially have a working gravel elevator (which works only 1 way, up to 12 blocks, one at a time, but it works!). I'll post pics/videos on Wednesday, when I have a proper internet connection; by then, I hope to have it reversible, able to move up all at once, and perhaps move further than 12.

Gravel don't work for going down.

Just sayin'.

And it's great to see we're getting there! I can say I did my bit, at least. I'm doing everything else with Pistons now :D

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Gravel or sand elevator works fine. Though I haven't actually built anything yet, I see it being fairly simple. Have a stack of gravel, have a line of gravel going from the bottom of that, so it's basically an L shape. Have a piston be on the other side at the bottom pushing that line. Have a piston facing upward right under where that line will be going, pushing it up. You stand there to begin with and so it pushes you up while continually putting more gravel under you. You now have a mirrored L that you're standing on top of. To go down, just have two more pistons which mirror the originals and recreate the original L. I'm not sure if the game will hate you for trying to shove in more gravel before the stack falls, but assuming that's fine, I think this would work pretty simply.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Gravel or sand elevator works fine. Though I haven't actually built anything yet, I see it being fairly simple. Have a stack of gravel, have a line of gravel going from the bottom of that, so it's basically an L shape. Have a piston be on the other side at the bottom pushing that line. Have a piston facing upward right under where that line will be going, pushing it up. You stand there to begin with and so it pushes you up while continually putting more gravel under you. You now have a mirrored L that you're standing on top of. To go down, just have two more pistons which mirror the originals and recreate the original L. I'm not sure if the game will hate you for trying to shove in more gravel before the stack falls, but assuming that's fine, I think this would work pretty simply.

Yeah, this was my idea about it.. I haven't tried it yet, but based on what I've done with pistons so far, I can't really imagine it really letting you push gravel in before the stack comes down. I could be very wrong and it'll be simple, but.. I dunno, it sounds a bit too useful/easy for it to be true. I'll try and create a small-scale experiment to see if it works.

Re: Redstone, I think there should maybe be a way to choose the path it takes. Obviously sitting within the rules it follows at the moment, but say if you right-click to place, it just automatically routes like it does at the moment, but if you shift/ctrl-right-click, it'll open an interface to let you choose. Say, a button for up/down/left/right, and you can manually create the paths it takes. Will mean we don't need repeaters to power two things next to each other, for example. The idea could probably use some refining, since I thought of it at like 2am this morning while I couldn't sleep, but I dunno. Opinions?

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

That's basically just a space saver. Anything you can do with that you can do with enough space and redstone. It might make it a little more convenient, but it's not necessary.

Edit: I also just tested my sand elevator idea. If you can get the delays right, it works fine.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

Ah, I like space saving. It always surprises me how big the circuitry can turn out for something that's fairly simple. I guess I don't really use redstone enough to know what it's all about, but in the few things I have done, it's seemed like a right pain in the ass to have to make a loop around 3 squares instead of just being able to go straight to something (for example). It seems strange in a game like Minecraft, where you basically control the world, that there are things that are so stuck into weird ass-patterns that don't seem to make sense. Aaaah let me control you game.

About the sand elevator, that's pretty cool. I got distracted playing Torchlight before I could go build mine.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Yeah, redstone could do with some improvements. It looks like it's unlikely to change though, seeing as how it's been around since the beginning of Alpha.

(Avatar by Sungura)

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

How hard would it be to get it to snap to outputs as well as inputs though?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Yeah, redstone could do with some improvements. It looks like it's unlikely to change though, seeing as how it's been around since the beginning of Alpha.
Eh, built-in AND, NAND, OR and NOR tiles (like the repeaters) would do wonders.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

I saw a really neat idea on Reddit once for a breadboard block - it opens up like a crafting table with perhaps a 7x7 working area, and has an input at the bottom and an output at top - you'd arrange redstone wires and torches any way you like in the space available, to make condensed circuitboards for things like logic gates. Then you place it just like delay blocks.

I imagine the way data is stored in the game would make this difficult or impossible, but it's a neat concept.
I don't know what to do for you

Return to “Gaming”