0922: "Fight Club"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eutychus

0922: "Fight Club"

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:55 am UTC

Alt text: "I'm not saying it's all bad, but that movie has not aged as well as my teenage self in 2000 was confident it would"

For some time I thought Tyler Durden was a character from nineteenth-century literature.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

gecko91

Re: 0922: "Fight Club"

Postby gecko91 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Get out of my head Randall! I watched Fight Club for the first time last night.

ysth

Postby ysth » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:11 am UTC

From the IMDb Fight Club synopsis page:

Sponsored Links
Christian Therapist
blueharborcounseling.com * Professional counselor with biblical grounding. 1/2 hr free.
Insurance Archeology
policyfind.com * Historical insurance policies are valuable. Insurance Archeology!
Become a Social Worker
eOnlineUniversity.com * Start a career helping others with an U. of Phx Human Services Degree.

If you had to follow one of those links, which would you choose?
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Vrishna

Postby Vrishna » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:36 am UTC

Come on, let's compile a list of movies that have a plot twist near the end which makes you think: "I have to watch this movie again, checking if I could've anticipated that twist if I had paid more attention!"

• Fight Club ("Where is my mind?" ;-))
  • The Sixth Sense (although I was guessing correctly here around the middle of the movie)
Wanna find out my Christian name? Can you guess by looking at this Perl code?

Code: Select all

$e=length(open(S,$0).<S>);
$GM=!$l||9;for(join$v,<S>)
{$m=join$w,/\$(\w)/gm;for(
split/$xxx/,$m){print chr(
ord()-$e/7);}}if($r){exit}

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:38 am UTC

Usual Suspects
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

ILikeFood

Postby ILikeFood » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:39 am UTC

I strongly disagree with this comic and everything it believes in. Fight Club is still an EXCELLENT film.

karanj

Postby karanj » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:41 am UTC

You think Fight Club aged badly? Try rewatching The Matrix.

Vrishna wrote:Come on, let's compile a list of movies that have a plot twist near the end which makes you think: "I have to watch this movie again, checking if I could've anticipated that twist if I had paid more attention!"

• The Sixth Sense (although I was guessing correctly here around the middle of the movie)

Lucky Number Slevin, if anyone knows/remembers that movie.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:54 am UTC

Haha, nothing is as good as it was when you were a teenager.

Randall Munroe, you are on both sides of the argument! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72394

and you picked a thing that is incapable of changing.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:55 am UTC

karanj wrote:You think Fight Club aged badly? Try rewatching The Phantom Menace.

Fixed that for...oh no wait, that was terrible to start with.

brandtsound

Postby brandtsound » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:25 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:
karanj wrote:...Try rewatching The Phantom Menace.

Fixed that for...oh no wait, that was terrible to start with.

I agree, it was pretty awful~ what about The Blair Witch Project for the list of movies that haven't stood the test of time?

For all the European readers- the Danish film "The Green Butchers" (De grønne slagtere) had quite the unexpected ending!
~ brandtsound, inc. ~

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:44 am UTC

I still like Fight Club :oops: I wouldn't watch it though.

altrocks

Postby altrocks » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:01 am UTC

Pretty sure Fight Club is more relevant NOW than when it originally came out. The original audience was a bunch of angsty late-90's teens/young adults just getting started in life who were pissed about having to work their way up in the world while paying off their student loans despite their degree in English Lit./not being 18 yet. Today it's probably way more appealing an idea and movie to many more people given the credit/job/general economy problems.

Also, for twist endings, Donnie Darko. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already, probably some sort of cliche unspoken rule against it as I've noticed a huge backlash against the movie in general.

chr1sg

Postby chr1sg » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 am UTC

I rather like fight club, but the book is better.

Oh, and the ultimate twist ending movie - Memento.

bugbread

Postby bugbread » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:38 am UTC

Fight Club is just as good as it ever was. I suspect the problem is that you saw it when you were a teen, so you took everything Tyler Durden said as being really profound and true, and now, as an adult, you don't. I was already an adult when I saw it, so I didn't see Durden as a wise guru, but as...well, Tyler Durden. Partly on the money, partly overblown and full of shit, partly angsty young man. And it was an awesome movie. It isn't the kind of movie where you have to sympathize with or like the main character to enjoy it. So a decade later, for me, it's just as good.

error_frey

Postby error_frey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:44 am UTC

altrocks wrote:Donnie Darko. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already, probably some sort of cliche unspoken rule against it as I've noticed a huge backlash against the movie in general.

I liked that one.

Vrishna wrote:Come on, let's compile a list of movies that have a plot twist near the end which makes you think: "I have to watch this movie again, checking if I could've anticipated that twist if I had paid more attention!"

"The book of Eli" (2010) comes to mind.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:06 am UTC

error_frey wrote:
altrocks wrote:Donnie Darko. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already, probably some sort of cliche unspoken rule against it as I've noticed a huge backlash against the movie in general.

I liked that one.

"The book of Eli" (2010) comes to mind.

don't tell me the twist, i have the blu-ray sitting in it's rental envelope waiting to be watched at home this very second.

J L

Postby J L » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 am UTC

I really want to watch Fight Club again. Although I thought David Fincher didn't really give the audience the chance to guess the "answer". The novel did.

Ultimate twist ending movie - The Prestige. It's one of the rare movies where everything falls into place, and nothing of what you saw up to that point was a "lie" and has to be withdrawn (compare for example the other magician movie of 2006, The Illusionist, which didn't work at all in that regard).

VentureFree

Postby VentureFree » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 am UTC

I've never really been in a fight because I'm just a little twerp who's afraid of getting my ass kicked. Fight Club is a dangerous movie for me, because it makes me want to get my ass kicked.
How much can you know about yourself, you've never been in a fight? I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on; hit me before I lose my nerve.
A decade later it still has the same effect on me. I'm not allowed to watch it within a day or two of going out with friends because I just try to pick fights all night.

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 am UTC

I just watched the Fight Club like a month ago for the first time, and really enjoyed it. Although I'm still a teenager.. :roll:

I'm surprised that Shutter Island (2010) hasn't been mentioned yet, it has a pretty neat twist ending. I had to watch it again to see if I could've guessed it earlier than slightly before the twisted part.

SEE

Postby SEE » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 am UTC

There was plenty of opportunity to guess the answer in Fight Club. At least for me, since I did guess it.

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 am UTC

So, Randall, I’m really disappointed that a person with your intellect employs in ignorance. And on that level.

Why do you act, like drinking the industrial-fascist cool-aid would be in any way related to “growing up”, instead of just having given up on life and this world in general?

I found that there are two kinds of people:
• The passive beta ones, who gave up on even having a opinion and individuality of their own, and basically just vegetate, reproduce, and work for…
• The active alpha ones, who rule the world, reproduce their ideas in the betas’ minds, are their opinion-makers, and are also the ones 10% of “their” babies actually are from. ;)

Now guess in which of those ways I live my life? ;)

(The point is, that you can always choose, which life to live. It's your own free choice. It's just that most alpha ones make you think it isn't, as they think that would give them more advantages. While I think hybrid alpha-betas would be an even better advantage.)

bugbread

Postby bugbread » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:29 am UTC

Now guess in which of those ways I live my life?

Honestly? You sound like a beta who lifts weights, or uses The System for picking up on women. I've met a few alphas, but they aren't the type who post on forums talking about how alpha they are. And I've met a lot of people who brag about how alpha they are, and they have all been betas with delusions of grandeur.

I dunno, perhaps you're an alpha...but you certainly don't sound like one.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 am UTC

ysth wrote:From the IMDb Fight Club synopsis page:

Sponsored Links
Christian Therapist
blueharborcounseling.com * Professional counselor with biblical grounding. 1/2 hr free.
Insurance Archeology
policyfind.com * Historical insurance policies are valuable. Insurance Archeology!
Become a Social Worker
eOnlineUniversity.com * Start a career helping others with an U. of Phx Human Services Degree.

If you had to follow one of those links, which would you choose?

I'd choose Christian the rapist.

oh wait....

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 am UTC

With today's comic, Randall redefines the concept of a cheap joke.

stepdown

Postby stepdown » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:56 am UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:Now guess in which of those ways I live my life? ;)

Is that you Brucie Kibbutz?

bugbread

Postby bugbread » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:59 am UTC

stepdown wrote:
BAReFOOt wrote:Now guess in which of those ways I live my life? ;)

Is that you Brucie Kibbutz?

Yay, I'm not the only one who thought it!

resu427

Postby resu427 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:18 am UTC

The Usual Suspects
The Prestige
Memento (though I had to rewatch that one for another reason)
The Others

squig

Postby squig » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:46 am UTC

The Butterfly Effect (director's cut) had an unexpected ending, not sure if you would describe it as a twist though.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:46 am UTC

VentureFree wrote:A decade later it still has the same effect on me. I'm not allowed to watch it within a day or two of going out with friends because I just try to pick fights all night.

And they say movies don't cause violence!

Cadiac wrote:I'm surprised that Shutter Island (2010) hasn't been mentioned yet, it has a pretty neat twist ending. I had to watch it again to see if I could've guessed it earlier than slightly before the twisted part.

I'm not surprised it hasn't been mentioned, since even though this thread has become focussed on movie plot twists, the comic is not specifically about Fight Club's twist but about how well its themes and message hold up 11 years later.

barnacle

Postby barnacle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

This comic mirrors my experience with 'Atlas Shrugged' :)

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

altrocks wrote:Pretty sure Fight Club is more relevant NOW than when it originally came out. The original audience was a bunch of angsty late-90's teens/young adults just getting started in life who were pissed about having to work their way up in the world while paying off their student loans despite their degree in English Lit./not being 18 yet. Today it's probably way more appealing an idea and movie to many more people given the credit/job/general economy problems.

Yet at the same time the original audience is now more than likely a 'thirty year old boy, wondering if another women is really the answer he needs'.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

nomadiq

Postby nomadiq » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

• Karate Kid Part III

Doom Shepherd

Postby Doom Shepherd » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

It's always been funny to me how "Fight Club" has one of the most Misaimed Fandoms of any movie ever.

BAReFOOt wrote:Why do you act, like drinking the industrial-fascist cool-aid would be in any way related to “growing up”, instead of just having given up on life and this world in general?

• The passive beta ones, who gave up on even having a opinion and individuality of their own, and basically just vegetate, reproduce, and work for…
• The active alpha ones, who rule the world, reproduce their ideas in the betas’ minds, are their opinion-makers, and are also the ones 10% of “their” babies actually are from. ;)

You forgot the Delta, who manages to delude himself into thinking he's an Alpha when he's really just another kind of Beta. Notable for their aggressive tendencies to talk about how awesome they are*, and to use words like "industrial-fascist."

*protip: The truly awesome people? They never need to tell you how awesome they are.
Last edited by Doom Shepherd on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

gecko91 wrote:Get out of my head Randall! I watched Fight Club for the first time last night.

That's not being in your head. Being in your head would be if you watched Fight Club again for the first time in years and were left thinking "That wasn't as good as I remembered it being.. huh"

bugbread wrote:
BAReFOOt wrote:So, Randall, I’m really disappointed that a person with your intellect employs in ignorance. And on that level.

Why do you act, like drinking the industrial-fascist cool-aid would be in any way related to “growing up”, instead of just having given up on life and this world in general?

(The point is, that you can always choose, which life to live. It's your own free choice. It's just that most alpha ones make you think it isn't, as they think that would give them more advantages. While I think hybrid alpha-betas would be an even better advantage.)

Honestly? You sound like a beta who lifts weights, or uses The System for picking up on women. I've met a few alphas, but they aren't the type who post on forums talking about how alpha they are. And I've met a lot of people who brag about how alpha they are, and they have all been betas with delusions of grandeur.

I dunno, perhaps you're an alpha...but you certainly don't sound like one.

Holy shit, the two of you are fucking serious? I thought we killed off your kind years ago in The Purging. Huh.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

AFW

Postby AFW » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Holy shit, the two of you are fucking serious? I thought we killed off your kind years ago in The Purging. Huh.

As if some betas could kill me in a "purging". Come at me, bros.

oddtail

Postby oddtail » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:54 pm UTC

Like some of the other people who posted in this thread, I really like Fight Club.

I liked it each of the three times I watched it, and I assume I'll like it when/if I watch it again.

Heck, it's among my favourite movies.

So I guess I can't relate to the comic at all.

Lunar Savage

Postby Lunar Savage » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

Never seen it.
*Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb.

rapturemachine

Postby rapturemachine » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

Lunar Savage wrote:Never seen it.

Oh, good. I'm not alone.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

wow, really?

it just occured to me that perhaps Randall has someting against David Fincher at the moment, or maybe he's just been watching Finchers movies recently, after mentioning facebook a couple of strips ago, and now Fight Club, what next, an Alien 3, or a Se7en reference?

VentureFree

Postby VentureFree » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

And they say movies don't cause violence!

Movies don't cause violence. Movies cause people to cause violence.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”