The Resistance 3.5 (0-3, Spies) - SPIES WIN

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

The Resistance 3.5 (0-3, Spies) - SPIES WIN

Postby jayhsu » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Game type: Open
Speed: Turbo-ish.
Bastardry: None

New addition: Team Leaders will now choose the mission they wish to propose a team for, with the exception of the final mission, which may only be chosen if the Resistance have successfully completed 2 missions.

Rules (tweaks for The Resistance underlined)
Spoiler:
1. You may only talk about this game in this thread and in an appropriately named spoiler in the Discussion Thread. If you are not playing this game, do not post in this thread without good reason.
2. You may not play to lose. This will be dealt with at the mod's discretion (expect an immediate replacement if you play against your faction).
3. Do not lurk. If you no longer want to or can't play, ask the mod as soon as possible for a replacement. If there are no replacements, you must keep playing until a replacement arrives or the mod decides to modkill you.
4. You may not edit your posts.
5. You may not post your role PM, or quote verbatim from it. You may paraphrase. Otherwise, you may say anything you like during the game.
6. Questions must be posted in

Bold, on a newline.

You may also ask questions to the mod in PM. You must PM all team proposal votes and mission success/failure to the Mod.
7. You may not post game content in this thread during the mission phase.
8. The mod's decisions are final.

How to play The Resistance (Please read carefully)
Spoiler:
1. There are two sides in the resistance – the Resistance (town), working to bring down an evil empire, and the Spies (scum), who work for that evil empire and who have infiltrated the Resistance.

2. In the basic game, the spies know one another but MAY NOT COMMUNICATE PRIVATELY. In a 10-player game, there will be 6 resistance operatives and 4 spies.

3. The game is divided into 5 missions.

4. Each mission is divided into a team proposal step (3 days long max), and a mission run step (~1 day).

5. During the team proposal step, the team leader (randomly chosen first, and then proceeding down the player list) chooses the mission they wish to propose a team for (with the exception of the 5th mission, which may only be chosen if the Resistance has successfully completed two missions). They may then choose anyone in any combination they wish for the mission, including themselves.

6. ALL PLAYERS, including the current mission leader must then vote (either ACCEPT or REJECT) on the proposed team by PMing the mod, who will then reveal all players’ votes simultaneously and publicly - you will know who voted what. A tie counts as a REJECTED vote. Mission leaders default to ACCEPT on their own teams.

7. If a team is REJECTED by the majority (or tie) of players, the next player becomes the team leader and proposes another team for the mission. Failure to submit a vote on a team proposal by the deadline counts as a REJECTED vote.

8. If a team is ACCEPTED by the majority of players, any spies on the team, if any, must decide whether the mission succeeds or fails by PMing the Mod. Resistance players automatically decide the mission passes. Only spies have a choice. Failure to choose by the deadline counts as a MISSION FAIL. You may PM the mod with your decision before the team is approved, but there will always be at least and at most one day for this step.

9. If there is even ONE MISSION FAIL on a mission, the entire mission FAILS (except for the fourth mission, which must have two MISSION FAILURES to FAIL). Otherwise, the mission SUCCEEDS.

Please note the difference between ACCEPTING and REJECTING a proposed team and SUCCEEDING or FAILING/SABOTAGING a current mission.

10. The Resistance win the mission if it succeeds.

11. The Spies win the mission if it fails.

12. After a mission is completed (successfully by the resistance or sabotaged by spies), the next person on the list becomes the team leader.

13. The first team to win three missions, wins.

14. However, the Spies also win if there are ever 5 consecutive team rejections.

To propose a team (make bold):
The current team leader is: [__].
The current mission is: [__].

Proposed Team Member 1:
Proposed Team Member 2:
etc.

The players required per mission for a 10 player game:

Mission 1: 3 players
Mission 2: 4 players
Mission 3: 4 players
Mission 4: 5* players (Requires 2 failures to fail)
Mission 5: 5 players

Role PMs
Spoiler:
Resistance Operative
The Empire must fall. Our missions must succeed.
You are an operative for the Resistance. You must simultaneously discern the four spies and unmask them, while ensuring that any mission you are placed within succeeds. Only with your help will the Resistance succeed.

You win if the Resistance successfully execute 3 missions.
You lose if the Spies sabotage 3 missions or if there are ever 5 consecutive proposed team rejections.

During a mission, you automatically select MISSION SUCCESS.

Spies
The Empire must stand. The Resistance’s missions must fail.
You are a spy for the Empire. You must try to gain the trust of the Resistance… before betraying each and every one of them.
The spies are: [___]. You MAY NOT communicate with these players privately.

You win if the Spies sabotage 3 missions. You also win if there are ever 5 consecutive rejected teams.
You lose if the Resistance successfully completes 3 missions.

During a mission, you must choose whether there is a MISSION SUCCESS or MISSION FAILURE. So long as there is even a single MISSION FAILURE, the entire mission FAILS (except for the fourth mission, which must have two MISSION FAILURES to FAIL). If you do not choose by the deadline (24 hours), you automatically select MISSION FAILURE.

Plot Powers
Spoiler:
These are the plot powers, and how they work:

Once at the beginning of each new mission, the team leader will be given three plot powers to distribute amongst the players, except himself. PM the mod with who should receive which power before proposing a team. Permanent and immediate powers will be used on the appropriate player immediately. Team leaders must distribute plot powers before teams are proposed, but discussion is allowed before they are distributed.

The team leader then proposes the team normally.

To use a plot power, declare the plot power you are using publicly in the thread. Certain plot powers can only be used at specific times, please read carefully.

Some plot powers have duplicates; these are represented by x2 or x3.

Strong Leader x2
1 Time Use

The player who receives this plot power may become the Leader. If this is used on a mission that has not yet had a team proposed, that player also receives the normal three plot powers to distribute. Two of these may not be played consecutively. This power may only be used immediately during or after a mission for use on the next mission (before plot cards have been distributed), or on a mission that has already been rejected once (before a team has been proposed).

Opinion Maker x2
Permanent

The player who receives this plot power must Vote first and publicly for the rest of the game (Vote in-thread).

No Confidence x3
1 Time Use

The player who receives this plot power may null an approved team and force a leadership change. The next player in line becomes the mission leader. This counts as a REJECTED mission. This power may only be used after a team has been approved.

Overheard Conversation x2
Immediate

The player who receives this plot power must choose a player directly before or after them in the player list. They are told the role of the player they chose.

Keeping a Close Eye on You x2
1 Time Use

The player who receives this plot power is told whether a specific player succeeded or sabotaged the mission this power was used on. This power may only be used during a mission on one player - you will be told the result at the end of the mission. PM the Mod with your desired target after a team has been approved. If the team is rejected by No Confidence, you will receive your plot power back.

In the Spotlight
1 Time Use

The player who receives this plot power may select another player who must submit their mission disposition publically (PASS/FAIL) within the standard 24 hours. Resistance Operatives MUST select PASS and Spies may choose either PASS or FAIL. Failure to submit a disposition defaults to standard rules at the end of the 24 hours (RO select PASS, Spies select FAIL). This power may only be used after a team has been approved (please let the mod know that you are using it with your mission vote PM - feel free to condition it as you will). Spies may also elect to PM the mod with a PASS disposition to be automatically revealed at the end of the 24-hour period.

Take Responsibility
Immediate

The player who receives this plot power must immediately take a plot power at random from another player (includes Opinion Maker). This can be used on the current round of plot power distributions (though the player it was taken from is told what their stolen power was).

Establish Confidence
Immediate

The player who receives this plot power is told the role of the current mission leader.

Open Up
Immediate

The player who receives this plot power must choose another player. The chosen player is told their role (E.g. if A receives this card and chooses B, B is told the role of A).

Players
1. roband
2. Adam H
3. Misnomer
4. mpolo
5. Gopher of Pern
6. VectorZero
7. webby
8. BoomFrog
9. Lorenz
10. cjdrum/dotproduct

Players required per mission:
Mission 1: 3 players
Mission 2: 4 players
Mission 3: 4 players
Mission 4: 5* players
Mission 5: 5 players

Standings
Mission 1: SABOTAGED
Mission 2: SABOTAGED
Mission 3:
Mission 4: SABOTAGED
Mission 5:

Missions Completed by the Resistance: 0
Missions Sabotaged by the Spies: 3
Last edited by jayhsu on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 am UTC, edited 15 times in total.
-Jay
jayhsu

Re: The Resistance 3.5 - Pregame

Postby jayhsu » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

Waiting for one more spot to be filled so I don't have to redo/re-edit a bunch of stuff. As soon as its filled, roles will be PMed and the spies will have 24 hours to scheme.

Edit: We've got our tenth and role PMs are going out. Spies have until 10AM Thursday EST to chat. Anyone may discuss strategy in thread, but don't propose a team until Thursday morning at earliest.
-Jay
jayhsu

Re: The Resistance 3.5 - Pregame (Roles sent)

Postby Misnomer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Confirm.
Misnomer

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

Just gettin this out there before we know who the team leader is to keep it as low wine as possible. I think we should send the mission leader plus the next two or three people. The fourth fifth and sixth people (the ones definitely not going on the mission) should receive the plot powers, in the order that they were awarded unless there's a strategic reason to give them to someone going on the mission.

If we get Keep an Eye on you and no other coping powers that should be givin to someone going on the mission and we should do mission 1. That would narrow a spy down to a pair if there is a failure.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby Adam H » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

OR we should assigns role like... nah just kidding, sounds good.

Yeah mission 1 or 4 is best to start right? I don't really get the logic with "saving" the easy missions. It seems like either you get the most info from the easy missions, or they pass. win/win? The worst situation would be going on mission 2/3, the spies don't vote stupidly, the mission fails with one card. That seems likely if we go on a 4 player mission.

I guess it all depends on the plot powers though.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

I'd like to have a Spotlight or Keep an Eye before we do mission 1, it narrows things down to a pair. I think if we got total crap powers I'd rather do mission 2. Mission 4, if it fails gives us 2 spies in a group of 5 which hardly narrows things down.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

EBWOP: Just to be crystal clear on the system. Lets say Roband is the team leader and we got Keep an Eye and two crap powers. We give out powers first so they go to the 5th through 7th player. Then we pick mission 1 because we got Eye on you, then we pick the first two players to go on the mission and the Eye holder.

1. roband - Goes on Mission 1
2. Adam H - goes on Mission 1
3. Misnomer - Sits out because Eye on you is priority
4. mpolo - Sits out because we're doing mission 1
5. Gopher of Pern - Gets Eye on You and goes on the mission
6. VectorZero - Gets crap power #1
7. webby - Gets crap power #2

The only reason I can see to give a plot power to someone "out of order" is if we have a situation like R3 where we got Eye and Overhear and we want the Overhear to check out the Eye.
BoomFrog

Postby Adam H » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

I don't really understand your logic about 2 out of 5 not narrowing it down. If we had keeping an eye on you, we could supposedly narrow it to 2 spies in a group of 4, which is about the same as 1 spy out of 2 - at least, I'm not sure that either situation is definitely better...

Also, for all you know (assuming you are resistance and you're not on the mission team), it's a 40% chance that 2 out of the 3 on the mission are spys. Then 'keeping an eye on you' tells us nothing... Also if the leader is spy (also 40% chance) then he can give kaeoy to any of players 5-7 and you would presumably be happy.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Misnomer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:EBWOP: Just to be crystal clear on the system. Lets say Roband is the team leader and we got Keep an Eye and two crap powers. We give out powers first so they go to the 5th through 7th player. Then we pick mission 1 because we got Eye on you, then we pick the first two players to go on the mission and the Eye holder.

1. roband - Goes on Mission 1
2. Adam H - goes on Mission 1
3. Misnomer - Sits out because Eye on you is priority
4. mpolo - Sits out because we're doing mission 1
5. Gopher of Pern - Gets Eye on You and goes on the mission
6. VectorZero - Gets crap power #1
7. webby - Gets crap power #2

The only reason I can see to give a plot power to someone "out of order" is if we have a situation like R3 where we got Eye and Overhear and we want the Overhear to check out the Eye.

I'm not sure I like this... yes, it makes sense for eye on you to go on the mission, but I dislike the logic of splitting the team between different ends of the list. I think it would be a lot less open to manipulation if we did it chronologically.
Misnomer

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

Okay, I can get behind that. if we get Eye on you (or another power we think should go on the mission) it should go to the last person on the mission (probably the third). That limits the Team Leader's choices. The reason I picked the last person is so that if we get Overhear again the next person can get overhear to check out Eye. I just want to make sure we have a clear decision before the team leader is revealed to reduce spy wine.

Powers that will not go on the mission go to the 5th, 6th and 7th players from the Team Leader.

Btw, Can we get confirmation that More_people is actually playing. He's been pretty absent from the forums for about a week. I have a feeling he doesn't know he is in this game.
BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I don't really understand your logic about 2 out of 5 not narrowing it down. If we had keeping an eye on you, we could supposedly narrow it to 2 spies in a group of 4, which is about the same as 1 spy out of 2 - at least, I'm not sure that either situation is definitely better...
If we passed mission 4 it would tell us a lot, but if we fail it with no other cop powers going on then we only know there are 2 or more spies out of 5, and the other 5 has 2 or less spies. It helps some but...

If we have some earlier evidence from past missions we can maybe make groups of people who must be all spies or all town, then we send one of those groups on mission 4 we can learn a lot. I think Mission 4 shouldn't be the very first mission done. Probably it's the first mission to do after we've failed one mission.

Also, for all you know (assuming you are resistance and you're not on the mission team), it's a 40% chance that 2 out of the 3 on the mission are spys. Then 'keeping an eye on you' tells us nothing...
Are you talking about Mission 1? I can't remember how to do the math properly but 40% seems really high. Anyway, Eye on You in a failed mission 1 will always give us a pair of spy/town, and on the crazy chance we get 3 spies on the mission we'd get spy/spy. If there's two spies on the mission we'll miss one of the spies but we still get a spy/town pair locked away. That's about as good as we can get from plot powers generally. The funny part is that it works even if a spy has Eye. On bigger missions if a spy has Eye we get almost no info from it.
BoomFrog

Postby Adam H » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
Adam H wrote:Also, for all you know (assuming you are resistance and you're not on the mission team), it's a 40% chance that 2 out of the 3 on the mission are spys. Then 'keeping an eye on you' tells us nothing...
Are you talking about Mission 1? I can't remember how to do the math properly but 40% seems really high.

Yeah, for mission 1, if you are resistance and you are not on the team, there are only 5 other resistance and 4 spies. So having a combo of 2 resistance and 1 spy is not much more likely than having 2 spy and one resistance.

Anyway, Eye on You in a failed mission 1 will always give us a pair of spy/town, and on the crazy chance we get 3 spies on the mission we'd get spy/spy. If there's two spies on the mission we'll miss one of the spies but we still get a spy/town pair locked away. That's about as good as we can get from plot powers generally. The funny part is that it works even if a spy has Eye. On bigger missions if a spy has Eye we get almost no info from it.

If the player with Eye clears someone, we don't learn much even if the mission fails, because it could be a spy clearing spy, or spy clearing town, or town clearing town, or even a town clearing spy. We just do not know which it is.

In the spotlight, open up, or establish confidence are more useful probably. Less chance of a spy just passing the mission.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:If the player with Eye clears someone, we don't learn much even if the mission fails, because it could be a spy clearing spy, or spy clearing town, or town clearing town, or even a town clearing spy. We just do not know which it is.
Ahh, I believe I've found your misunderstanding. If there are three people on the mission, say Adam, Bob, Charlie. Charlie has Eye. There is one fail on the mission and Charlie was watching Adam. Charlie says Adam is clear. That means one of two possibilities:

1) Charlie is a spy. Adam and Bob may or may not be spies.
2) Charlie is town and therefore won't lie, therefore Bob failed the mission and is a spy. Adam may be a spy.

Either way we know either Charlie or Bob is a spy, it narrows it down to a spy/town pair even if the Eye holder clears someone, but this only works on Mission 1 because it is so small. That's why I want to save Mission 1 for when we have an Eye.
BoomFrog

Postby weiyaoli » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

I would like to request a replacement since this is a fast moving game.

I can keep on playing if no replacement is found, but will likely to be less active as the next week or so is a busy time for me.
And you thought I was crazy...
weiyaoli

Postby Adam H » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:If there are three people on the mission, say Adam, Bob, Charlie. Charlie has Eye. There is one fail on the mission and Charlie was watching Adam. Charlie says Adam is clear. That means one of two possibilities:

1) Charlie is a spy. Adam and Bob may or may not be spies.
2) Charlie is town and therefore won't lie, therefore Bob failed the mission and is a spy. Adam may be a spy.

Either way we know either Charlie or Bob is a spy, it narrows it down to a spy/town pair even if the Eye holder clears someone, but this only works on Mission 1 because it is so small. That's why I want to save Mission 1 for when we have an Eye.

Oh yeah, you're right. Obviously. Who was arguing with you, again? :oops:
-Adam
Adam H

Postby webby » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

I think most of what Boomfrog has suggested seems reasonable. I certainly agree that we should try to agree on a method of selecting a team before we know who's leader. The next three in line seems as good as any and is what was supposed to happen last game (although I have a very slight reservation given that Boomfrog could be a spy and know that there is at least one spy every three places in the player list, this could happen with any non-random method and people seemed to think my random methods were too elaborate last game :P).

Obviously the plot powers can cause exceptions to this (the ones I have in mind in particular are Open Up and Overheard Conversation), so I would think that the best thing to do is to stick to the spirit of the method, but with alterations based on what the plot powers tell us.

Working out how to distribute the plot powers is a bit harder - I don't think it's best to just choose the next three in line, there's likely to be a clearly better strategy than that if we get investigative powers. We might have to decide that when the plot powers come out.
webby

Postby jayhsu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

I am searching for two possible replacements (one for M_P and one for weiyaoli). Thanks.
-Jay
jayhsu

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:08 am UTC

Note that I suggest we give plot powers to the 5th on, we might take the first 4 on a mission if we decide to do mission 2. I doubt we will do mission 4 first.
BoomFrog

Postby jayhsu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:34 pm UTC

...But that wasn't how it happened, was it?

June 2072

The Resistance had succeeded in its recent efforts around the world to bring an end to the Empire's Dominion. They had destroyed a key Imperial base outside Victarum, and destroyed the First Tower, a powerful symbol of the Empire's power. As they began to turn their sights toward their next objective, it bore remembering the efforts of their predecessors...

June 2052
The Early Days of The Resistance

An earlier time and a more dangerous time. The height of Imperial power, before the schism. The Resistance was in its infancy, and a show of solidarity was needed. Here, ten gathered to plot the destruction of an Imperial Sanctum - while key Imperial officials met within.

There were whispers, however, that Spies had infiltrated their group, and that others had been bought, or worse, to the other side. Caution was imperative.

Setting an example for Resistance Operatives for years to come, their first mission was to gather the schematics of the Imperial Sanctum.

The first mission has begun.

The current team leader is: Gopher of Pern (VectorZero on deck).
The current mission is: [_]

Current Team Member 1:
Current Team Member 2:
Current Team Member 3:
Add others as necessary.

Plot powers have been provided to the team leader. They must be distributed by the team leader before a team may be proposed, but discussion is permitted to aid the team leader in the distribution.

Players holding plot powers:
None.

Consecutive Rejected Teams: 0

3 days to deadline.
-Jay
jayhsu

Re: The Resistance 3.5 - First Mission Setup - PM Mod to rep

Postby mpolo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

So, we want to choose a mission and a team to go on it. Mission one would tend to be a super-easy one, but might well lead to no information (that's what happened the first time we played The Resistance). Mission 5 would be near-impossible as a first mission -- though if we succeeded at it, it is essentially an automatic win, which is why it's not allowed until we've succeeded at least twice, I suppose.

I'm kind of inclined to try something a little bigger than Mission 1, though it wouldn't hurt to get a success under our belts from the outset.
Image <-- Evil experiment
mpolo

Postby Adam H » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Mission one would tend to be a super-easy one, but might well lead to no information

6 resistance, 4 spies... the probability of at least 1 spy on the 3-player team is 83%, if the team is selected completely at random. Seems hard enough to me. And I'm curious how a harder mission leads to more info.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby mpolo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

Maybe I'm still thinking from the first game. There it was pretty much a given that the spies would pass the first mission. Of course there were only two people on the team back then, so that it was pretty much guaranteed that the spies would pass that mission, even if they were on the team. With three, it's a little less ironclad, but the tendency would be to not expose oneself too early, so I am guessing that that mission is likely to succeed even with spies on it, at least if it is run at the beginning.

The flip-side of this is that the spies would probably want mission one run as early as possible, since that mission only gets easier with time. Which is not saying that I think Adam is a spy, either.
Image <-- Evil experiment
mpolo

Postby weiyaoli » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Maybe I'm still thinking from the first game. There it was pretty much a given that the spies would pass the first mission. Of course there were only two people on the team back then, so that it was pretty much guaranteed that the spies would pass that mission, even if they were on the team. With three, it's a little less ironclad, but the tendency would be to not expose oneself too early, so I am guessing that that mission is likely to succeed even with spies on it, at least if it is run at the beginning.

The flip-side of this is that the spies would probably want mission one run as early as possible, since that mission only gets easier with time. Which is not saying that I think Adam is a spy, either.

Yes, but wasn't the conclusion at the end of Resistance 1 and 2 that passing the first mission is one of the major reasons that the spies lost.
And you thought I was crazy...
weiyaoli

Postby Adam H » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Let's assume they'll fail for now... I'm beginning to think that it doesn't really matter which missions we do first. It all depends on the plot powers I think. That's how we're going to find the spies. Maybe it's best to do 2/3 first so that we'll have options later on.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

And also, how did the first mission work out for the spies last game?
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

So, are we doing Boomfrog's style or what?

That would mean Myself VZ and webby go on the team, plus maybe boomfrog if its a 4 man team, and I give powers to weiyaoli, more_people and roband?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby VectorZero » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Depends on what powers you scored.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.
VectorZero

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

Well, I haven't got the pm from jay yet, so I guess we'll have to wait.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby jayhsu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

More_People has been replaced by cjdrum.

I thought I had sent the powers but I guess I did not. They have been distributed to GOP.
-Jay
jayhsu

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:12 am UTC

None of the really good ones. I got No Confidence x2, and Take responsibility. So, really only 2 powers. Nothing that will help us with the first mission.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby cjdrum » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:15 am UTC

Hi! Egosearch post!
:shock:
cjdrum

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:23 am UTC

Yep, those are the crap powers I was talking about. Just give em out in order No confidence to weiyaoli, and more_people Cjdrum and Take responsibility to roband. In the interest of maintaining the principle of "all other things being equal target the top of the list" Roband should take Wei's power.

I say we run mission 2, it will likely fail but I'd like some real powers before we do mission 1 or 4.
BoomFrog

Postby webby » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:58 am UTC

From my perspective, mission 1 has a 1/3 chance of passing, and I'd narrow down a spy to GoP or VectorZero if it failed, so I'd probably prefer mission 1 over mission 2. However, obviously you can't work like that, so I'll have a look at it from the perspective of one of the people not going on the mission:

Mission 1 is a 1/6 chance of passing, mission 2 is 1/14. The question is whether the increased information and chances of passing are worth using up mission 1. I think I'm probably going to have to agree with you though Boomfrog - mission 2 is the lesser of two evils. We'll have to hope either for the minor miracle of the mission passing, or that we get good powers next time.

In terms of plot power distribution, that method seems consistent with what was proposed before we knew who was team leader. I see no reason to alter the overall guiding principle of 'next down the list' until we have some useful information.
webby

Postby Adam H » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

mission 2/3 please! these plot powers suck...

I think the optimal play at this point would be to let the leader pick the mission team however he wants and then to see how the votes go. Since we're throwing this mission away anyways.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

Well, if we want to generate content what we should do is have everyone propose a team and then have the team leader pick one of those.

It's in an interesting thought, right now we have very little content to go off of, and wine is > then no content. It's the same principle we use on D1 in normal mafia, try to discuss nothing as much as possible, then "random pick" a team, then we'll have lots of wine to discuss D2. We get more wine but we reduce the chance of a successful team today most likely and open the door to rejecting teams until a spy is getting powers. And we won't really get anything out of it until we find out a spy later through other means.

Although our chance at success is quite small, if we do succeed it'll lead directly to town victory. How about we hear some opinions from people who are not Me, Webby, and Adam H. Especially Misnomer... :x (and any others with no content yet like Cjdrum) As always more content is better for town.
BoomFrog

Postby Misnomer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

*wakes up*

Ok, so thoughts on missions. Mission 5 can't be done yet, and mission 4 would tell us little if it passed or failed at this stage, so I agree that it's between mission 1 and missions 2/3. Speaking as a spy in the last game, I got the feeling that doing mission 1 first screwed us over somewhat - even if there hadn't been a nest of powers flying around, I suspect I'd have still been in hot water at the end of it. However, simply because the combination of good powers and mission 1 was so devastating, I'd be inclined to wait for it. Therefore, I'm happy with the plan to do mission 2/3 first.

As for the idea of having everyone propose teams and the leader picking one, I'm not so confident about that. It gives the spies a lot of cover to hide behind - I would be much happier with a sequential team going forward, starting with the team leader.
Misnomer

Postby VectorZero » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

Can we do anything useful with the two NCs? Give them to the same player or something? Or insist when the player is to use them? They could potentially swing a scum victory by allowing 5 rejections, so it might be worth considering using them once we agree on a team, then follow up with the same team proposed by the next player.

On the other hand, getting take responsibility out of the way at least limits any damage scum could do with it.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.
VectorZero

Postby jayhsu » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Lorenz replaces Weiyaoli.

Thanks.
-Jay
jayhsu

Re: The Resistance 3.5 - First Mission Setup

Postby Lorenz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Hello all. I'm good with mission 2/3 also. When I get home I'll go over different possibilities and try to make a decent analysis.
Lorenz

Postby webby » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Well, if we want to generate content what we should do is have everyone propose a team and then have the team leader pick one of those.

It's in an interesting thought, right now we have very little content to go off of, and wine is > then no content. It's the same principle we use on D1 in normal mafia, try to discuss nothing as much as possible, then "random pick" a team, then we'll have lots of wine to discuss D2. We get more wine but we reduce the chance of a successful team today most likely and open the door to rejecting teams until a spy is getting powers. And we won't really get anything out of it until we find out a spy later through other means.

Although our chance at success is quite small, if we do succeed it'll lead directly to town victory. How about we hear some opinions from people who are not Me, Webby, and Adam H. Especially Misnomer... :x (and any others with no content yet like Cjdrum) As always more content is better for town.

This sounds ok. Obviously the team leader should choose themselves. This is optimal play because if they were a spy, they'd choose a team that would fail anyway, whether it included themselves or not, while if they were resistance, then we'd want them on the team. I can expand on this if the logic of it isn't immediately clear. So we're looking for three people to go with them.

I'll express an opinion on who those three people should be once everyone's posted a bit more. In the absence of useful powers, our best tools are what they would be in a usual mafia game - voting patterns, connections between players etc.
webby

Next

Return to Mafia