Men's Fashion

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Men's Fashion

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:No, I'd still say asshole. That was incredibly dumb of Harry to do as well. It's the equivalent of wearing white robes and a pointy wizard hat in public.

i think the asshole thing depends on who was at the party, if he knew everyone there and new for a fact that they'd either not care, or think it was funny, then it wouldn't be asshole-y if there was a chance that there would be strangers there, who could potentially take offense, then sure, asshole-y

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

You haven't fought a Balrog yet, so frankly, it's just hubris at this point.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Jacque » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Back on topic...

Obby wrote:I've been interested in getting some raw denim jeans, as well. Does anyone have any experience with these to comment? They can be expensive, but I've heard wonderful things from folks on another forum site I visit. My only problem is a lot of those folks are hipsters, so their opinions on anything not mainstream will, of course, be much higher than average.

Personally I think raw denim looks nice, deep blue, and no stupid factory fade or wash. And overtime with pretty consistent wear they end up being your Favorite Pants™ ever.

The only problem with raw denim that I've found is that they can bleed like a motherfucker. Wear white underwear? They're now slighly blue in places. White shoes? They're now white and blue. Even the seat of your car (if upholstered) will probably show a bit of blue tinting if you drive it often enough.
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

I've usually found that if you wash before wearing for the first time, and then wash a few times with nothing else besides other similarly-colored denim, you're ok.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby Dark567 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Washing inside out can also help a little.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:No, I'd still say asshole. That was incredibly dumb of Harry to do as well. It's the equivalent of wearing white robes and a pointy wizard hat in public.

i think the asshole thing depends on who was at the party, if he knew everyone there and new for a fact that they'd either not care, or think it was funny, then it wouldn't be asshole-y if there was a chance that there would be strangers there, who could potentially take offense, then sure, asshole-y

More power to the people with the balls to dress up in what someone else would consider offensive, just to piss off the thin-skinned special interests types.

In regards to raw denim: Wouldn't shrinkage be an issue? I guess if you're into ballhuggers then it might not, but the last thing I'd wanna do is shell out a lot of money for a pair of quality jeans and then have them shrink in the wash. Maybe you could buy them a size too big and hope they shrink a full size, evenly?
Beardhammer

Postby Bearboy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 pm UTC

Well I did know everyone, all school friends which made me very disappointed when most didn't recignise it. There was a German exchange student who laughed at it and told me a few parts of my uniform which were wrong( Only one pocket on my shirt, no cufflinks, wrong shoes and belt) and a jewish friend who congratulated me as having a costume of something evil cause it's halloween after all(compared to "slutty animal/occupation" or "shirtless sportsman").

Now back to clothes, I have year 12 formal coming up in November (Senior prom for you Ami's) and as already stated i have no smart casual clothes let alone formal. I do however have a friend outside of school, unknown to the majority of my school friends with a 21 peice Scottish kilt/jacket formal attire which i can fit into. If i borrow this i not only save money on a suit(which will be enevitable to buy, isn't needed yet, so short term saving) as well as be wearing a pretty bitching set up which will stand out like dogs balls on the night making me the person people remember(like a boss).

Thoughts? opinions?
Bearboy

Postby Ulc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

Bearboy wrote:Now back to clothes, I have year 12 formal coming up in November (Senior prom for you Ami's) and as already stated i have no smart casual clothes let alone formal. I do however have a friend outside of school, unknown to the majority of my school friends with a 21 peice Scottish kilt/jacket formal attire which i can fit into. If i borrow this i not only save money on a suit(which will be enevitable to buy, isn't needed yet, so short term saving) as well as be wearing a pretty bitching set up which will stand out like dogs balls on the night making me the person people remember(like a boss).

Thoughts? opinions?

If you can wear it without looking ridiculous, go for it.

By ridiculous I mean that you're too skinny, have to low self-confidence to wear it with the proper bearing or that "fit into" means "if I grease up first, forcing myself into it shouldn't take more than two hours".
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?
Ulc

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Bearboy wrote:a jewish friend who congratulated me

Oh, it's cool, I got the memo, Berny Bernstein says it's cool, so, it has to be.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Bearboy wrote:Now back to clothes, I have year 12 formal coming up in November (Senior prom for you Ami's) and as already stated i have no smart casual clothes let alone formal. I do however have a friend outside of school, unknown to the majority of my school friends with a 21 peice Scottish kilt/jacket formal attire which i can fit into. If i borrow this i not only save money on a suit(which will be enevitable to buy, isn't needed yet, so short term saving) as well as be wearing a pretty bitching set up which will stand out like dogs balls on the night making me the person people remember(like a boss).

Thoughts? opinions?

Do it. Kilts are much more enjoyable to wear than the fanciest of fancy suits. I've getting fitted for a kilts outfit for my brother's wedding soon (I haven't got round to buying one of my own yet, shit's expensive).
And if being remembered is your thing, I guess wearing a full kilt outfit to a formal in Australia will do the job. Do you have any Scottish ancestry?

Also, it is a slighter more tasteful choice than your SS Officer uniform.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel
Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby D.B. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

Thoughts? opinions?

If you're Scottish or have strong links to Scotland then yeah, go for it. If you're not then I'd find it a tad peculiar, as by that stage you're almost in fancy dress... but hell, there's nothing stopping you. And they are great fun to wear.
D.B.

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:

More power to the people with the balls to dress up in what someone else would consider offensive, just to piss off the thin-skinned special interests types.

Fun fact: having balls (so to speak) is not actually functionally equivalent to being a raging asshole. It's actually quite possible to be courageous and act like a decent human being at the same time.
JudeMorrigan

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:More power to the people with the balls to dress up in what someone else would consider offensive, just to piss off the thin-skinned special interests types.

Yeah man fuck racism and homophobia and sexism, it's a myth perpetuated by the liberal left!
PROTIP: Being an asshole doesn't make you 'ballsy' or edgy, it just makes you an asshole.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

Hold on just a second here. How does making a Nazi-shaped halloween costume make you racist, sexist or homophobic? The whole point is to mock the Nazis for being mass murdering fuck-heads. I think they should be mocked. And laughed at. And relegated to the status of witches and goblins for the amusement of small children.

I'm really not seeing the "asshole" here.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not under the impression based on his post, or based on Prince Harry's behavior, that wearing an SS uniform is done to mock Nazi's. Similarly to how me punching you in the face isn't me mocking pugilists.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby rigwarl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

Your last example is more similar to how murdering Jews is not done to mock Nazi's. Halloween costumes of villains is very common and quite obviously does not mean you condone their actions. Also, why is this discussion still going on?
rigwarl

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:Your last example is more similar to how murdering Jews is not done to mock Nazi's. Halloween costumes of villains is very common and quite obviously does not mean you condone their actions. Also, why is this discussion still going on?

But no one at a party is liable to be from the planet Alderaan, so Darth Vadar costumes aren't offensive (Alderaan was destroyed, right?)
Whereas people at a party might very well be Jewish, or gay, or black, and thus coming dressed as a Nazi, or wearing a shirt that says "Matthew Shepard went down after the first punch" or in KKK regalia isn't FUNNY, or edgy, or clever, it's offensive, and obnoxious, and rude.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby rigwarl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

I meant villains as in real life villains (Osama, etc.), but I suppose we can agree to disagree on what's acceptable as a Halloween costume. Anyway a mod has already suggested several posts up to get back on topic...

What do people think of wearing colorful button up shirts to wear to the office where a solid color polo is totally fine (e.g., bright blue, green, and white plaid pattern)? Are these shirts considered "dressy" enough or no?
rigwarl

Postby Dark567 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:What do people think of wearing colorful button up shirts to wear to the office where a solid color polo is totally fine (e.g., bright blue, green, and white plaid pattern)? Are these shirts considered "dressy" enough or no?
How old are you? Generally if your younger you can get away with less conservative wear at the office.

http://www.express.com/1mx-shirts-800/c ... /index.cat
I have a couple of these in bright turquoise and bright yellow, that I wear in a fairly professional office environment. Bright colors are definitely more fun then the standard white or light blue dress shirts, particularly in the summer. Also, women will often compliment me on the turquoise one which is also a nice benefit. :D

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby rigwarl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

I'm thinking if something like this is considered fine: http://www.express.com/fitted-plaid-shi ... /index.pro

or even this: http://www.express.com/plaid-fitted-wes ... /index.pro

My office isn't particularly professional- most people wear jeans for example, but T-shirts are definitely too casual.
rigwarl

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

I wouldn't consider either of those particularly remarkable as office-wear. Especially if jeans are acceptable, those should be perfectly ok. I would think.
JudeMorrigan

Postby Beardhammer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:25 am UTC

If they allow jeans, I'm pretty sure most any shirt will do as long as it has a collar and it's in decent condition. You could always ask if you're worried about being sent home to change.
Beardhammer

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:If they allow jeans, I'm pretty sure most any shirt will do as long as it has a collar and it's in decent condition. You could always ask if you're worried about being sent home to change.

Or just bring a spare shirt with you that day.
roband wrote:Mav is a cow.

UniJam 2012: Inter-university Games Jam hosted by Nottingham Trent University DevSoc.
nlug: Nottingham Linux User Group
DevSoc: The Nottingham Trent University Software Development Society
RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby Shro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

REZ'd for:
Skinny ties. I noticed a pretty good deal on google offers: 5 skinny ties in assorted colors for $29. So, I figured I'd post about it, in case any of you were still making that decision (the offer doesn't expire for like another three days) So here's something to help you decide!
Who/when/how should you wear skinny ties?
1)This should be kept to the younger crowd. Avoid if over 40.
2)Skinny/Lean guys. Smaller frame = smaller tie = better proportion
3)With a cute little 1" tie bar.
4) If you're Jake Gyllenhall.
Spoiler:
jake-gyllenhaal-cover.jpeg

(This is relevant. Notice the tie bar?)
5)The tie is no skinnier than 2"
6)The tie still maintains that classic "tie" shape.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?
Shro
science genius girl

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

Can I just wear Jake Gyllenhall instead?
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby Shro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:Can I just wear Jake Gyllenhall instead?

No, of course I didn't come up with an entire post just as an excuse to post a picture of him, why do you ask?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?
Shro
science genius girl

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

Re: Skinny Ties

Spoiler:
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

Can't say I'm a fan of skinny ties myself. A normal tie looks like part of an outfit; a skinny tie looks like a piece of rope dangling from your neck.

New topic: waistcoats. Snazzy or horrendous? Nobody wears them these days and I think it's a shame. I've recently started wearing them, but only casually. If I wore one to work, I'd just be bombarded all day with questions like "Hey Reaper, what's with the outfit? You got a job interview or something?"
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Garm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

I'm not a big fan of skinny ties. I own one, but have never worn it.

My other personal tie preference is to tie a double windsor knot. That way I can leave the collar button undone on my shirts and have the giant knot hide that for me. Comfort and class.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK
Garm

Postby Dark567 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

Garm wrote:My other personal tie preference is to tie a double full windsor knot. That way I can leave the collar button undone on my shirts and have the giant knot hide that for me. Comfort and class.
Half-Windsors are pretty much unacceptable.

I'll sometimes use a Grantchester or Hanover or a braid if I am really into doing something fancy(for like a Christmas party with friends or something).

Dark567

Postby Garm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Garm wrote:My other personal tie preference is to tie a double full windsor knot. That way I can leave the collar button undone on my shirts and have the giant knot hide that for me. Comfort and class.
Half-Windsors are pretty much unacceptable.

I'll sometimes use a Grantchester or Hanover or a braid if I am really into doing something fancy(for like a Christmas party with friends or something).

That is true. We should get rid of the "full" or "Double" in front of Windsor and just forget about the half or single windsor knot.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK
Garm

Postby Jacque » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

This basically sums up my thoughts on tie knots, and this my preference for the four-in-hand*. Jesse Thorn just gets me.

New topic: waistcoats. Snazzy or horrendous? Nobody wears them these days and I think it's a shame. I've recently started wearing them, but only casually. If I wore one to work, I'd just be bombarded all day with questions like "Hey Reaper, what's with the outfit? You got a job interview or something?"

Answer: Both. They look snazzy if you have the right fit and body shape, but that can be said for just about any particular item of clothing. I'll wear them once in a great while, in fact, I'm picking up another this month. Though, my work environment is super casual so I generally feel a bit strange donning more than jeans and maybe a button up shirt if not just a tshirt so they don't get worn often.

*Men, boys, billy goats: I would greatly implore you to Read That Blog™, and watch the short, 6-episode web series (of which season 2 will be starting soon).
Last edited by Jacque on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Dark567 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:New topic: waistcoats. Snazzy or horrendous? Nobody wears them these days and I think it's a shame. I've recently started wearing them, but only casually. If I wore one to work, I'd just be bombarded all day with questions like "Hey Reaper, what's with the outfit? You got a job interview or something?"
Snazzy. Always. With Jeans. With a suit. With a button up, with a T-shit. Just the other day I got complimented by my flight attended on my awesome waist coat. Although it used to be more unique, I've started to see people wear them a lot now.

Dark567

Postby OBrien » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:New topic: waistcoats. Snazzy or horrendous? Nobody wears them these days and I think it's a shame. I've recently started wearing them, but only casually. If I wore one to work, I'd just be bombarded all day with questions like "Hey Reaper, what's with the outfit? You got a job interview or something?"

They're awesome, but only if you're very clearly not a hipster*.

*The word "hipster" here refers to it's modern usage. Hipsters of the Kerouac, Ginsberg and Cassidy era are not only fine but they are, in fact, pretty damn awesome.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.
OBrien

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:They're awesome, but only if you're very clearly not a hipster*.

Howso?
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby OBrien » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

Because hipsters (or, at least, my experience of the vast majority of hipsters in Birmingham and Shoreditch) are both far to obsessed with doing things because they're "edgy" and "cool" arther than because they actually like them and tend to do things they see as "different" (such as wearing waistcoats, an uncommonly seen item of clothing nowadays) to draw attention to themselves, and then bemoan the attention they get (positive as well as negative) from anyone who's not exactly the same as them. If you want to be different to draw attention to yourself, fine. If you don't like people on the street talking to you, fine. If, however, you wear an Old Man Gloom tee shirt and I say "Awesome band." and you say to your friends "Pfft, he probably doesn't even know who they are." you're a dick.

I am, however, open to the opinion that the hipsters I've met are just dicks and in the minority, if you have experiences to the contrary?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.
OBrien

Postby Garm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 pm UTC

I dunno what it is about the 4-in-hand that I don't like. It's a fine knot, perhaps it's just that then I have to button the top button on my shirt. :)
Maybe it's because I usually only wear ties to formal occasions like weddings. Were I in the habit of wearing a tie every day I think I'd go 4-in-hand.

Me with a Windsor.

- JFK
Garm

Postby Jacque » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 pm UTC

Perhaps you need shirts with slightly larger necks measurements? No reason the top button should cause discomfort.
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Garm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:01 am UTC

Probably just better shirts would do the trick.
- JFK
Garm

Postby Ulc » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 am UTC

Jacque wrote:Perhaps you need shirts with slightly larger necks measurements? No reason the top button should cause discomfort.

This is pretty much the exact reason I prefer custom tailored shirts.

I'm a pretty big guy (and not just in the 'fat' sense), the only shirts that I can find in stores that fits my shoulders and is long enough, almost inevetible has a too tight top button, the only exceptions I've been able to find is the really expensive top brands.

Ideally the top button should be tight enough that it requires a little work to button up, but when you've done that, it doesn't feel tight anymore.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?
Ulc

PreviousNext

Return to General