Tool

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Tool

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:20 am UTC

Goatboy wrote:there's a "bitch" in "Prison Song" but that's it. . .

Well, there's a repeated curse in "Needles", but that really is it. . . SOAD used curses aplenty in their hella heavy self-titled album and early work, but Toxicity was a good point lyrically for them. I mean, they hadn't yet slid off the ledge and gone for purely stream-of-consciousness drugged-up lyrics (they saved that for their next album and all the rest), and the songs were nicely intense and political. Serj's voice was still percussive, as was every instrument. Daron kept his vocals out of the mix - everything was happy.

Toxicity might be the most punishing metal record I've ever heard on a purely sonic level, mainly because it's not buried beneath sludge and growly lyrics (couch, Slayer), rhythmic and repetitive enough to get you comfortable (early Metallica or Rammstein) or pointlessly offensive (uh, MSI maybe? Is there a pointlessly offensive band that doesn't try your patience?).

I've heard Sober, Stinkfist, Lateralus, Ticks & Leeches, Parabola and Schism on the radio along with another half-dozen APC singles since I was a wee preteen. One day I'll check out their actual albums and see if I can confirm my uneducated hypothesis that Tool is the band only shallow people think is really deep.
Clumpy

Postby Jesse » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

I defend MSI against your accusations of pointless offensiveness. It entirely has a point. The point is that Jhonen Vasquez is insane.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Torben » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:42 am UTC

0xDEADBEEF wrote:If you're a fan of both Tool, and xkcd, this is almost mandatory:
The Fibonacci in Lateralus

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD.

And yeah, that made me happy.

But I have all of their albums, and Lateralus was my 100% favourite until 10,000 days began to grow on me. Now i'd say they're the top 2, whilst the others trail behind somewhat.

I cannot stop listening to Schism right now. Just stuck in my head.
1101010111111110001111001111111 - tell me if you get it...
Torben

Postby Clumpy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

Well, I finally went and borrowed three of their albums (10,000 days, Aenima and Lateralus) and got no significant enjoyment out of any of them, which didn't make much of an impression. Though some of the tracks were pretty good, many of them didn't have any significant differences (meaning that most of them started out with quiet guitars and bass, quiet vocals, leading to a screaming chorus followed by another instrumental and a louder chorus before ending). They're not terrible, or even bad, but don't offer up enough ingenuity for my pallet.

Anyway, to each their own, I guess.

EDIT: I was probably in something of a bad mood earlier (turned out my blood glucose was a little low which wasn't the best state to check out music). My generalization, in retrospect, applied mainly to Undertow and was probably unfair for a first listen through the three discs. I'm actually enjoying Aenima quite a bit now, and I'll be respinning the other discs to see if my opinion changes. I've always enjoyed Tool when I've heard them on the radio, but admittedly in my experience I don't have a lot in common with people who overemphasize the impact of bands like Tool, NIN, RATM, etc. (Keep in mind that my favorite local college station has been hyping Tool as the best band ever for pretty much my entire postadolescent life. My anger at the same eight-minute song being played every time the DJ wanted a pee break has always influenced my opinion of the band. I must have heard Schism 300 times my senior year alone.)

Still, the comments below seem to imply that the only people who wouldn't enjoy Tool is somebody who didn't give them a chance. I've heard and seen enough shallow, glowing analysis to know that you won't find a band alive whose output will serve as a suitable litmus test for intelligence or taste. Neither do I think Bill Hicks is perceptive, nor Chuck Manson a philosopher. Anybody else wanna have a go?
Last edited by Clumpy on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:11 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.
Clumpy

Postby Dream » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Well, I finally went and borrowed three of their albums (10,000 days, Aenima and Lateralus) and got no significant enjoyment out of any of them.

Of course you didn't.
One day I'll check out their actual albums and see if I can confirm my uneducated hypothesis that Tool is the band only shallow people think is really deep.

You were trying not to.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.
Dream
WINNING

Postby Torben » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:19 am UTC

Dream wrote:
Clumpy wrote:Well, I finally went and borrowed three of their albums (10,000 days, Aenima and Lateralus) and got no significant enjoyment out of any of them.

Of course you didn't.
One day I'll check out their actual albums and see if I can confirm my uneducated hypothesis that Tool is the band only shallow people think is really deep.

You were trying not to.

Well played good sir, well played.
Torben

Postby Surgery » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Jesse wrote:I defend MSI against your accusations of pointless offensiveness. It entirely has a point. The point is that Jhonen Vasquez is insane.
Jhonen Vasquez? Of JTHM, Squee!, Invader Zim, et al?
Surgery

Postby Clumpy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:08 am UTC

Surgery wrote:
Jesse wrote:I defend MSI against your accusations of pointless offensiveness. It entirely has a point. The point is that Jhonen Vasquez is insane.
Jhonen Vasquez? Of JTHM, Squee!, Invader Zim, et al?

As far as I know he just did some liner notes artwork and directed a video. Anybody know if his involvement with the group went any further?
Clumpy

Postby Torben » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:49 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Still, the comments below seem to imply that the only people who wouldn't enjoy Tool is somebody who didn't give them a chance.

To be fair i'm not genuinely of that opinion, if you really don't like Tool that's fair by me, but I just really like them a little bit close to fanatically, and Dream's retort amused me a little.
Torben

Postby Clumpy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:26 am UTC

All right, I'll admit it now - I like Tool, at least when they admit they're a damn good hard rock band and not a slow, pondersome metal group. Aenima is probably still my favorite - you won't find a dud track on the record and some of the musical jokes (Intermission!) are actually pretty funny. I'm still trying to get into Lateralus - I feel it's a little too pretentious without really earning it, but maybe I'll come around on that as well :).

Maybe it would be more fair to say that I've never had an issue with Tool itself, just some of their fans, who seem hellbent on keeping your expectations so high that you're bound to be disappointed. (I have the same problem with hardcore Tolkienites who all-but-strangle me when I discuss my misgivings with the LoTR books.)
Clumpy

Postby Themata » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 am UTC

Currently learning guitar parts for Tool songs so I can play covers with my "band"*

Go me!

Learnt:
-Lateralus

Learning:
-Aenema
-Vicarious

Still to learn
-Schism
-The Grudge
-Hooker with a Penis

I love how most of the guitar parts are simple, but still sound great.

*We're lazy, hence "band"
Themata

Tool's "Lateralus" album - Neurocistance?

Postby Sien » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

Good morning XKCD forum!

So, a little bit back, I bought Tool's album "Lateralus". A very good album, but there is something about it that I find quite curious. On the back of the album jacket, where the all the credits are listed, Vince De Franco is listed under "Neurocistance". It might be my lack of culture, but i have no clue what this means. A small research on the webs dint bring up anything either.

That being said, anybody here got a clue what "neurocistance" means?
Sien

Re: Tool's "Lateralus" album - Neurocistance?

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 am UTC

it may be something to do with Tool's mythical "Toolgasm"
supposedly they try to formulate their music specifically to induce mental and physical effects on the listener, culminating in a "toolgasm"

Postby Ankit1010 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:10 pm UTC

I think neurocistance = neuro-assistance, and this refers to his help in making the music have crazy effects on the listener like the guy above said.
Ankit1010

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

Probably. Tool is known for fucking with their fans' minds.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby choginga » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 am UTC

I had never heard of this Neurocistance, but I do like tool. I was aware that Lateralus was based heavily in math. For example, Schism uses a change in time signatures to invoke the feeling of a schism. But that is about all I know about this
choginga

Postby Deep_Thought » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Hmm, the mighty Tool FAQ has failed me. Most likely they just invented a word for whatever he was doing to help in the studio, as Ankit said.

@choginga: Schism has one of the most bizarre time signatures I'm aware of (I only have a basic understanding of music theory). It appears to shift almost every bar/measure.
Deep_Thought

Postby freakish777 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

choginga wrote:I had never heard of this Neurocistance, but I do like tool. I was aware that Lateralus was based heavily in math. For example, Schism uses a change in time signatures to invoke the feeling of a schism. But that is about all I know about this

Also, the syllables for the lyrics in "Lateralus" follow the Fibonacci sequence, going up and then coming back down.

Black (1)
and (1)
white are (2)
all I see (3)
In my infancy (5)
Red and yellow then came to be (8)

Reaching out to me (5)
let's me see (3)

Seriously, check it out some time. Writing a song with that type of constraint in it is ridiculous.
freakish777

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

I don't understand this thing of shifting time signatures 50 times in a single song when, in the end, it makes no difference at all -- it's just "DUN dun dun DUN dun dun DUN dun DUN dun DUN dun dun DUN dun dun DUN dun DUN dun DUN dun dun" all the way through. It sounds like stuff designed to entertain people who don't listen, but count music. "Fibonacci sequence" verses? What difference does it make? Really?
SirMustapha

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I don't understand this thing of shifting time signatures 50 times in a single song when, in the end, it makes no difference at all -- it's just "DUN dun dun DUN dun dun DUN dun DUN dun DUN dun dun DUN dun dun DUN dun DUN dun DUN dun dun" all the way through. It sounds like stuff designed to entertain people who don't listen, but count music. "Fibonacci sequence" verses? What difference does it make? Really?

because discovering all these things is entertaining in itself, :|

Postby Deep_Thought » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Because it sounds good. That's all the justification they need.

The main riff/verse in Schism does have a rhythm to it which is repeated, it just happens to be a particularly complicated rhythm. The changes away from that rhythm happen to emphasise changes in the music (I'd hesitate to call them a chorus or a bridge because apart from that main riff most of Schism is not repeated - anyone care to enlighten me as to the correct musical term for them?). It's not like Tool arbitrarily change the number of beats in each bar for the hell of it, even if it seems like that on occasion.
Deep_Thought

Postby choginga » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I don't understand this thing of shifting time signatures 50 times in a single song when, in the end, it makes no difference at all -- it's just "DUN dun dun DUN dun dun DUN dun DUN dun DUN dun dun DUN dun dun DUN dun DUN dun DUN dun dun" all the way through. It sounds like stuff designed to entertain people who don't listen, but count music. "Fibonacci sequence" verses? What difference does it make? Really?

There is one song I can't remember the name of that had a bar each of 7,8 and 9 beats creating a kind of push/pull effect. The point of schism to is to emphasize the feeling of separation. They are designed to be almost subliminal effects to make you feel certain things. The use of time signatures also fit the thematic concepts. It ties the lyrics and music together. They put effort into making not only a cohesive work of music but art. That is the difference it makes.

You think someone on XKCD would also appreciate math in their music.
choginga

Postby Deep_Thought » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 am UTC

choginga wrote:There is one song I can't remember the name of that had a bar each of 7,8 and 9 beats creating a kind of push/pull effect.

It's the opening to Lateralus, before the lyrics start. The push/pull effect happens because 7+8+9=16, so it's kind of 4/4 but with the emphasis shifted to be one beat early then one beat late.
Deep_Thought

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:because discovering all these things is entertaining in itself, :|

Entertaining, yes, but like I said, it has little to do with listening to music; much like going through a film frame by frame to pick all the continuity errors has little to do with watching the film.

choginga wrote:The point of schism to is to emphasize the feeling of separation. They are designed to be almost subliminal effects to make you feel certain things. The use of time signatures also fit the thematic concepts. It ties the lyrics and music together. They put effort into making not only a cohesive work of music but art. That is the difference it makes.

Misguided effort is about as bad as no effort at all, though. Most times, to me, the crazy time shifts sound like an empty display of cleverness, and they create a void in which more intelligent bands would be filling up with actual content. Take it this way: many bands could do in straight 4/4 much more than a band can do in 9/16+3/8+17/32.

Mind, I did listen to their two most famous albums and some really good music did jump out on me. In case of Schism, I was impressed not by the twisting rhythm, but by that really cool bass riff.
SirMustapha

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:because discovering all these things is entertaining in itself, :|

Entertaining, yes, but like I said, it has little to do with listening to music; much like going through a film frame by frame to pick all the continuity errors has little to do with watching the film.

why can't you do both?
so called "easter eggs" in movies are something lots of people like, why not have "easter eggs" in music too?

Postby choginga » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:

choginga wrote:The point of schism to is to emphasize the feeling of separation. They are designed to be almost subliminal effects to make you feel certain things. The use of time signatures also fit the thematic concepts. It ties the lyrics and music together. They put effort into making not only a cohesive work of music but art. That is the difference it makes.

Misguided effort is about as bad as no effort at all, though. Most times, to me, the crazy time shifts sound like an empty display of cleverness, and they create a void in which more intelligent bands would be filling up with actual content. Take it this way: many bands could do in straight 4/4 much more than a band can do in 9/16+3/8+17/32.

Mind, I did listen to their two most famous albums and some really good music did jump out on me. In case of Schism, I was impressed not by the twisting rhythm, but by that really cool bass riff.

The really cool bass riff that has more effect because of the signature. Also, on what basis are you calling Tool less intelligent and misguided? They actually have something to say and they try to say it with both the music and the words. the album lateralus is filled with "content" to the point where every bit of the music has something to say.The signatures are not as complicated and superfluous as you are claiming. Schism changes signatures halfway through to create a "schism" and lateralus starts with a push pull effect. AND YOU LIKE THE MUSIC. What are you on about?

You also got your analogy wrong. It's not like trying to find the trivial things in films frame by frame, it is like figuring out a Lynch film and pointing out the foreshadowing and hints that made it have it's effect.
choginga

Postby Deep_Thought » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Mind, I did listen to their two most famous albums and some really good music did jump out on me. In case of Schism, I was impressed not by the twisting rhythm, but by that really cool bass riff.

The really cool bass riff is the twisting rhythm :). Seriously - try to count the time signature it's in!

Anyway, as per usual I think the way music (and indeed any media) is introduced to someone often influences the way you perceive it. In my case I was introduced to Tool by a friend just saying "These guys are cool, you should check out this CD". He didn't go into anything about crazy time signatures. I found that all out much later, once I'd already listened and decided I liked it. To me, the mood and feelings Tool evoke are the important bit. Finding out that there are these little clever tricks and technicalities in their music is just icing on the cake, even if there is a lot of icing and I happen to like icing*. If I'd first listened to them by someone saying "Check out the crazy time signature in this song" I'd probably find it annoying too.

*Now I want cake.
Deep_Thought

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

I'd like to make a bit off a division between easter eggs in Tool's music and well, weird things in the music that have been done for the music's sake, not just for fun. I believe that the crazy time signatures, for example, aren't just a matter of hurhur we can do dis, but rather to add something to music ( like what has been said about Schism and Lateralus )

But, what makes these things rathe confusing is that besides this kind of stuff, Tool also uses regular easter eggs, a good example is the hidden track on 10 000 days. If you play 10 000 days ( part 2 ) and Viginti Tres and then Wings for Marie ( part 1 ) at the same time ( So one music player playing 10 000 days, the other a playlist of first Viginti Tres than Wings for Marie ) you get a new, different track.

So yea, Tool does these 'oh look at me' things, but they shouldn't lead you away from the fact that the music is just very thought out and good.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Deep_Thought » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

I've watched the Youtube clips with people playing 10,000 days over Viginti Tres / Wings for Marie, and I'm not convinced. It's not surprising that Wings for Marie and 10,000 days synch up at times - the two are supposed to be a continuous piece split into 2 parts, just as Disposition / Reflection / Triad were originally one track on Lateralus and have shared elements. It is a cool coincidence that the tracks synch up so well, but I'm pretty sure it's just that - coincidence.
Deep_Thought

Postby choginga » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:16 am UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:I've watched the Youtube clips with people playing 10,000 days over Viginti Tres / Wings for Marie, and I'm not convinced. It's not surprising that Wings for Marie and 10,000 days synch up at times - the two are supposed to be a continuous piece split into 2 parts, just as Disposition / Reflection / Triad were originally one track on Lateralus and have shared elements. It is a cool coincidence that the tracks synch up so well, but I'm pretty sure it's just that - coincidence.

But they sync up at the exact time it takes for Viginti Tres to play. Don't put anything past tool. They once put a hidden track on a vinyl release that had to have the needle dropped right on it otherwise it would skip over it. But then again, they are also known for messing with their fans and putting out false information.
choginga

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

choginga wrote:The really cool bass riff that has more effect because of the signature.

I disagree completely. Like I said, even a song in 4/4 can have an incredibly tricky, syncopated and challenging rhythm; and man, I wouldn't even doubt that what some sycophantic maniac claims is "6/8 + 15/32 + 3/16 + 9/64" is not mathematical wizardry, but mere syncopation. In either case, I'm always skeptical of music that focuses on the numerical complexity of the rhythm -- the biggest challenge is to make it sound good and make sense.

choginga wrote:Also, on what basis are you calling Tool less intelligent and misguided? They actually have something to say and they try to say it with both the music and the words.

A lot of bands do that. Tool are not some unique entity in the world just for trying to make both elements match. And you know what? I am much more impressed by a band like Stereolab, whose songs sometimes sound like they try to make the music as isolated as possible from the words, and yet it all works like a charm. And they pull off odd time signatures and you can dance to it!

choginga wrote:The signatures are not as complicated and superfluous as you are claiming. Schism changes signatures halfway through to create a "schism" and lateralus starts with a push pull effect. AND YOU LIKE THE MUSIC. What are you on about?

Exactly that: I like the music, but not the gimmicks. And when I listen to them and read what people say about them, it's like the gimmicks are more important than the music, or worse: like the gimmicks turn the music into something much more intelligent and important than anything else.

choginga wrote:You also got your analogy wrong. It's not like trying to find the trivial things in films frame by frame, it is like figuring out a Lynch film and pointing out the foreshadowing and hints that made it have it's effect.

No, that involves watching the film and paying attention to the directorial style and everything else.

Deep_Thought wrote:To me, the mood and feelings Tool evoke are the important bit. Finding out that there are these little clever tricks and technicalities in their music is just icing on the cake, even if there is a lot of icing and I happen to like icing*. If I'd first listened to them by someone saying "Check out the crazy time signature in this song" I'd probably find it annoying too.

I hear you. I guess I'm just sensitive to what the fans make out of the band, because when I listen to the music after I get in contact with the raving and drooling, I start questioning where the pandering ends and the actual music begins. For me, the tricks and gimmicks per se are utterly meaningless, and they need to be justified by the music. So if the artist decides to use an "irrational" time signature, either he must have great music to back it up with, or he must show he can work with it with the same dexterity that others work with 4/4. When it comes to Tool, those little bits never feel at ease in me: "wait, are they trying to show off or what?"

The first I heard of Tool, I heard them as "prog". When I listened, I was puzzled, because there was nothing prog at all about it. Then, later, I watched videos of folks going wild about how every nanosecond of Lateralus is built on the Fibonacci sequence, and I was going nuts with WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT??. I guess it spoils me too much.
SirMustapha

Postby Deep_Thought » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I hear you. I guess I'm just sensitive to what the fans make out of the band, because when I listen to the music after I get in contact with the raving and drooling, I start questioning where the pandering ends and the actual music begins.

Oh very definitely yes. When someone starts gushing about how absolutely amazing a band is I often wonder who are they trying to convince - me or them? Unfortunately Tool seem to have acquired such fans by the bucketload, particularly since the release of 10,000 days. Ultimately, you like what you like and come up with reasons for it later.

I'd classify Tool as prog metal, but that all depends on what your definition of 'prog' is? They have many of the hallmarks of 'classic' prog a la King Crimson/Pink Floyd (Long songs for one!), but fundamentally to me prog is about being progressive, i.e. challenging what can be done. Aenima came out in 96, when Nirvana managed to top the Billboard 200 posthumously and Pearl Jam were peaking their career. Lateralus came out in 2001, when the metal scene was drowning in nu-metal. Tool were pretty different and far more challenging than what else was around at that point.

choginga wrote:But they sync up at the exact time it takes for Viginti Tres to play. Don't put anything past tool.

I just gave it another listen and I'm still not convinced. The only parts that even vaguely sync up are the endings, but of course they would because one is a copy of the other! It only even vaguely works because Viginti Tres is a filler track composed of fairly random noise with no vocals, and Part 1 is a very sparse and quiet track. All the versions I've heard are dominated by Part 2, which is a much louder track, so it's difficult to hear the sections from VT/Part 1 that clash (and they are there if you listen to them).

The biggest problem though is simply that live, 10,000 days was played as part 1 followed by part 2. I kind of think that if the two were 'meant' to be played over the top of each other, Tool would have worked out some way to do it live. Syncing coincidences like this have occurred before (famously the Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon), and I don't see any reason to chalk this up beyond Maynard dicking around with track lengths in the studio.
Deep_Thought

Postby choginga » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:05 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I wouldn't even doubt that what some sycophantic maniac claims is "6/8 + 15/32 + 3/16 + 9/64" is not mathematical wizardry, but mere syncopation.

Straw man Argument, no one claimed any such numbers.
SirMustapha wrote:A lot of bands do that. Tool are not some unique entity in the world just for trying to make both elements match.

You didn't answer my question and put words in my mouth
SirMustapha wrote:Exactly that: I like the music, but not the gimmicks. And when I listen to them and read what people say about them, it's like the gimmicks are more important than the music, or worse: like the gimmicks turn the music into something much more intelligent and important than anything else.

No ever claimed that there are even gimmicks let alone that they are important.

SirMustapha wrote:No, that involves watching the film and paying attention to the directorial style and everything else.

Are you implying we don't listen to the music?
SirMustapha wrote:. For me, the tricks and gimmicks per se are utterly meaningless, and they need to be justified by the music. So if the artist decides to use an "irrational" time signature, either he must have great music to back it up with, or he must show he can work with it with the same dexterity that others work with 4/4. When it comes to Tool, those little bits never feel at ease in me: "wait, are they trying to show off or what?"

But you said you did like the music. You even said you did like a riff that uses these "gimmicks." You are contradicting your self and MAKING NO SENSE.

Please stop, your arguments are just silly and unwanted in a thread that was about appreciation.
choginga

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

choginga wrote:Please stop, your arguments are just silly and unwanted in a thread that was about appreciation.
Welcome to SirMustapha.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

choginga wrote:Please stop, your arguments are just silly and unwanted in a thread that was about appreciation.

For fuck's sake, man! You isolate little bits of my post and goes "THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!", failing to understand what I'm saying in the bigger context, and then you do two things at the same time: say my posts are "unwanted" as if you're some authority here, and pull off the "this is not the say something interesting thread, but the kiss the band's ass thread!" card. Well, then allow me to pull off two easy cards to counter those: the "who died and made you king? card, and the "IF U DONT LIEK IT, DON READ IT!!" card. I think we're even now.

Next time you think of calling me "silly", just look at how you can't even detect a harmless, simple hyperbole and go saying "No one claimed any such numbers!" and feeling all awesome for it.

Yet I can't help myself and I'll explain myself once again: yes, I DO HONESTLY ENJOY some music they put out, but I never feel completely at ease because I'm never sure where the gimmickry ends and the music begins. Is it too hard for you to understand or imagine what it is to have mixed feelings such as that, or are you really that limited?
SirMustapha

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

choginga wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:I wouldn't even doubt that what some sycophantic maniac claims is "6/8 + 15/32 + 3/16 + 9/64" is not mathematical wizardry, but mere syncopation.

Straw man Argument, no one claimed any such numbers.
If you can't tell what hyperbole is, get out of High Culture. Seriously. I use it all the time, as do many other people. This is not a highly structured debate area of the forum that requires laser precision communication. This is an area where I am upset that not every post ends with a dick joke.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Deep_Thought » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

Man, given Tool's love of Bill Hicks there really should be more dick jokes in this thread.

Have been listening to Third Eye an awful lot the last couple of weeks. I love that tune. And yes, it too has a couple of oldly timed passages in it :)
Deep_Thought

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:Have been listening to Third Eye an awful lot the last couple of weeks. I love that tune. And yes, it too has a couple of oldly timed passages in it :)

It's also pretty long. Though nowhere as long as my penis, of course.
SirMustapha

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Deep_Thought wrote:Have been listening to Third Eye an awful lot the last couple of weeks. I love that tune. And yes, it too has a couple of oldly timed passages in it :)

It's also pretty long. Though nowhere as long as my penis, of course.

they aren't called minutes for nothing ;)

Postby Deep_Thought » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

...Your avatar is somewhat appropriate for this discussion :roll:
Deep_Thought

PreviousNext

Return to Music