The Resistance 3.5 (0-3, Spies) - SPIES WIN

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Resistance 3.5 (0-2, Spies) - Third Mission Setup

Postby Misnomer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

I think I'd lean towards picking Roband over mpolo, but I reckon there's a good chance that both are town. It's your call Adam.
Misnomer

Postby mpolo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

Did roband somehow change his vote to REJECT and I missed it?

I would obviously prefer myself to roband, but would accept roband. Indeed, as I will very unlikely be online to vote, I have send a pre-approval for anything that AdamH proposes.
Image <-- Evil experiment
mpolo

Postby jayhsu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Sorry, Roband ACCEPTED, and the votes have been changed. It does not alter the team REJECTION of course.
-Jay
jayhsu

Postby Adam H » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

Leeeeeeeeroy!

The current team leader is: Adam H.
The current mission is: [1]

Current Team Member 1: Adam H
Current Team Member 2: Misnomer
Current Team Member 3: roband
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

Well, I'm accepting.

Man, this took forever to do!

ACCEPT
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby Adam H » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:Man, this took forever to do!
Lol, that's really ominous... If by "this" you mean "winning", then GG. :cry:
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

No, I'm just sick of this waiting. I would have preferred mpolo, but I think roband should get us through!
Imwahahahahaha Hope!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby jayhsu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:47 am UTC

VOTE FOR TEAM NOW 24 HOURS.

Also, if the team is rejected, the Spies win.
-Jay
jayhsu

Postby webby » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:49 am UTC

I would have preferred dotproduct's team, but I like this team as well.
webby

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:59 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:No, I'm just sick of this waiting. I would have preferred mpolo, but I think roband should get us through!
Imwahahahahaha Hope!
GG :?
webby wrote:I would have preferred dotproduct's team, but I like this team as well.
Yeah I bet.

We should accept this team out of principle but I'm pretty sure we've lost.

Oh well, it was an uphill battle after we accepted such an obviously bad team for M2, I'm surprised most of town went for it. Sorry to all of town that I was gone for a month, I shouldn't have started this game. Although I'm surprised I went from most trusted town before I left, to 50/50. I think only Misnomer retained his trust that I was town.

Btw GoP, nice work with the "give both overhears to AdamH" you totally hooked me into giving one overhear to you.

AdamH: How did you go so quickly from "What madness is this to propose Roband" to "Roband's the most trustworthy person in the game"?? I thought we were set to use Mpolo for this mission which is why I didn't even discuss it. I don't think any real town actually wanted a quick proposal, I was happy to discuss more... : /
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby Lorenz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:03 am UTC

ARGHH!!! Roband??? Really. GG (Is Adam scum?)
Lorenz

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 am UTC

webby wrote:I would have preferred dotproduct's team, but I like this team as well.

That team was hilarious! I almost pissed myself when I saw that.

BoomFrog wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:No, I'm just sick of this waiting. I would have preferred mpolo, but I think roband should get us through!
Imwahahahahaha Hope!
GG :?
Yeah I bet.

We should accept this team out of principle but I'm pretty sure we've lost.

Oh well, it was an uphill battle after we accepted such an obviously bad team for M2, I'm surprised most of town went for it. Sorry to all of town that I was gone for a month, I shouldn't have started this game. Although I'm surprised I went from most trusted town before I left, to 50/50. I think only Misnomer retained his trust that I was town.

Btw GoP, nice work with the "give both overhears to AdamH" you totally hooked me into giving one overhear to you.

AdamH: How did you go so quickly from "What madness is this to propose Roband" to "Roband's the most trustworthy person in the game"?? I thought we were set to use Mpolo for this mission which is why I didn't even discuss it. I don't think any real town actually wanted a quick proposal, I was happy to discuss more... : /

Yes, M2 did do it for us, but I was still surprised that Webby was considered 50/50 after it. He was obviously pushing for it, and I thought would be confirmed spy afterwards. I felt bad for speaking out against the team, because it was so perfect.

Honestly, I did want Adam to get both Overhear's. I really wasn't sure whether to say mpolo was scum or not. If I said he was scum, I would have gotten townie points, which might have been enough to get me on the team. It all worked out though.

CJdrum helped us alot early on, and dotproduct got the entirely wrong idea from the thread. I have no idea what Adam was planning at the end there.

Honestly, I think you would have had more of a chance if you actually followed my advice early day3. It probably would had made it to day5, with a 50/50 choice if you had.

Honestly, Even at 2-0 up, I thought we had a huge battle to get the 3rd mission.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 am UTC

Yeah, but we'd have to be very very on it to get through mission 5 without a spy. My team would have been AdamH, Misnomer, Mpolo, Lorenz, Me but I don't think people would have supported me on the team. I would have supported GoP over Dotproduct probably although it was a close call.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
BoomFrog

Postby jayhsu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:47 am UTC

Yes, the game is over. Flavor tomorrow.
-Jay
jayhsu

Re: The Resistance 3.5 (0-3, Spies) - SPIES WIN

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:04 am UTC

K, going to go read spoiler now. Thanks for moding Jayhsu.
BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 am UTC

Webby is the discussion thread wrote:So I'm going to look pretty scummy when this mission fails, but hopefully I can at least bring Boomfrog down with me. I think I've done my job, anyway, by getting on both teams and helping us to 2-0. And also getting mpolo to open up to me. One of the other two spies should be able to get on a mission barring a major plot power disaster or someone being really scummy, and Overheard Conversation is the only one which can get us. I thought when I got the PM that it was an extremely good scum team, and it's gone incredibly smoothly so far. In the very first scum PM when we got the 24 hours to talk, I said that I was going to try to buddy Boomfrog and that roband should play up his whole 'I'm not good at logic' thing. :P
Well done indeed. Congratulations on your first win as scum Webby, you earned it.

Also Boomfrog always reads me as townier than I think he should, even though up until now I've only ever been town when playing with him. :P
On D1 I'll trust anyone who posts a lot of content without making a mistake which you tend to do. If I could get all the scum to try to do that I'm sure one of them would slip up.
BoomFrog

Postby webby » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Thanks Boomfrog, I think it was the perfect combination of players as spies. Of particular note, while it went relatively unmentioned, was GoP's distancing just before the second mission was run - that was very well done and should have put him in a position to get on a later mission. I think it helped get the Overheard Conversation power which was important.

I think the point where we won the game was when mpolo opened up to me, and had complete justification from town's perspective of doing so. That meant that the most logical thing was to put both of us on mission 4, and at 2-0 up, even if it had been figured that both me and mpolo were spies, you'd still have to find roband and GoP.

Well done to Lorenz, who picked out the spies (in the spoiler thread he picked a group of five players, of which four were scum and got it dead right), but you obviously needed more confidence and to speak out a bit more. :P

Adam H, don't feel bad - I think even most of the townies were suggesting putting roband or mpolo on the team, and either way it was a loss.

We got very lucky on the first mission plot powers, but that could have been balanced out by the two most useful plot powers coming up before the third mission. Luckily, however, GoP managed to get one of them and the other was used on a townie.

So pretty much a game where almost everything went right for us. Thanks to jayhsu for running it!
webby

Postby Lorenz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:12 am UTC

Well done to Lorenz, who picked out the spies (in the spoiler thread he picked a group of five players, of which four were scum and got it dead right), but you obviously needed more confidence and to speak out a bit more.

Well, I tried but then every argument I had just kept being brought down. Nobody was paying attention to the first days anymore, just to the last one, which scum was completely controlling. I forgot myself what arguments made me confident, and since I had not been involved in any mission I was just not trusted at all.

GJ spies.
Lorenz

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:18 am UTC

That makes me 2 for 2 in resistance games, both of them really edgy. We even got every spy to fail a mission! (Assuming that last mission went ahead of course!)

I kinda had to distance myself there: My logic was actually quite sound, if I was town, that that mission was going to fail. I knew there was at least one spy on there. The chance of 2 was quite high. My only concern with that tactic was that I might convince others not to go through with it, which is when Adam put up his objection. The mission had to go through, but I also had to vote against it!

I was honestly looking for winning the game on M5. My plan was to make myself so indispendible as a townie, that you would pick me over cjdrum and VZ, the only 2 town left at that stage. Lorenz would have been confirmed as town if He was leader and got Establish Confidence, Adam would have known Roband was spy and Misnomer was town(If Adam got both Overheards), and would have chosen Misnomer/Boomfrog for the 3 man mission. Lorenz would have been added to the 4th. I would have enacted that plan, and would have been put on the 5th. But then town started running rings around each other, with a little help from us. I think it was only the first mission (Which Roband NC'd) That had an all town team, and I had that possibility covered with my plan above.

Well played, spies! I think we worked really well. But it did still take errors from town to give us our openings. (Such as Cjdrums non-use of NC early on.)

*ninja*
Yes, I know you kept bringing up those arguements Lorenz, which I was seriously worried about. No one stopped to consider that if I was a spy, then it was very likely Roband was a spy too, due to my distribution of powers. I did see your gambit from the discussion thread, but I don't think any of us would have been biting at that stage. I was pretty confident that Adam was going to include mpolo on the team (I ended up being wrong, but it still worked) , so I was happy to let things continue through to him. You did have me worried though.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby VectorZero » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:52 am UTC

Bugger. Picked 3, but went for the wrong one of roband/scumdrum.

Man, I suck at this game :)
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.
VectorZero

Postby mpolo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:37 am UTC

Woohoo! Now I can go on vacation with a clean conscience. The best was the proposed three-man team with three spies on it, I think.

But I was really worried that you were too close. I got incredibly lucky with the Overheard Conversation and Open Up. Thanks to GoP for being so credible as to get that power. And thankfully, the town wanted me to open up to precisely the person I wanted to open up to. I think there was one counter suggestion that I chose to ignore there.

This has at least proven that it is possible for the spies to win, which I was beginning to doubt after the first three games.
Image <-- Evil experiment
mpolo

Postby roband » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:11 am UTC

Err wuts goin on here? I'm pretty incompetent and can't work it out...
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:19 am UTC

Wait mpolo is a SPY?! :shock: I still thought VZ was...

Damn we lost hard.

So for the record Roband, did you actually enjoy the game or not? I don't know now.
BoomFrog

Postby roband » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:36 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:So for the record Roband, did you actually enjoy the game or not? I don't know now.

Bleh, it was better than the last one. But my reasoning for not using the NC the first time around was genuine, if I was town I would have really been pissed off. So I decided to play on that.
AdamH's remorse almost made the game amazing for me though :)
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Misnomer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:49 am UTC

:shock:

*feral growling noises* :evil:
Misnomer

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 am UTC

Misnomer wrote::shock:

:D

Did you guess all of us?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby roband » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 am UTC

A specific tactic requested by webby (I think) was pretty much, "rob, keep harping on about how you're no good at logic".
I was meant to be a distraction, I guess :P
So when I got the opportunity to pretend to be offended, I was always going to take it ;)
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Misnomer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:04 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
Misnomer wrote::shock:

:D

Did you guess all of us?

Nope - my scumdar was absolutely apalling this game, and I was pretty convinced that Roband and mpolo were town at the end... still, at least I can take some solace from objecting to webby being opened up to back at the start of the game...

But yeah, good game spies, you had us pretty much screwed all game. Also damn you Roband for toying with us! :evil: :P
Misnomer

Postby roband » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 am UTC

If GoP had been online to accept this team - viewtopic.php?f=53&t=72455&start=360#p2708034 - we would have won with 3 spies on the final mission :D
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:33 am UTC

roband wrote:If GoP had been online to accept this team - http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=53 ... 0#p2708034 - we would have won with 3 spies on the final mission :D

I could have accepted that, but I was afraid Adam would have NC'd it, which would have outed us as spies. I was tossing up whether to try or not, and then time ran out.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby roband » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Ah, I see. A good point.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby jayhsu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

Perhaps a smaller team would be able to finish the job, but who? They debated for hours, and their window to delve into the city's depths and return was closing with each moment.

At last they decided on AdamH, Misnomer, and Roband. It seemed a sure thing.

And it was. They were able to scour the crumbling city hall and managed to recover the schematics they were searching for. And they returned to the base, triumphant.

Only to be surrounded by Imperial troops within moments. There had been four spies amongst them, and they were fortuitously absent when the slaughter began. It was an example that made future teams much more careful.

Mission Disposition:

SUCCESS
SUCCESS
FAILURE

MISSION 1: SABOTAGED!

Missions completed by the Resistance: 0
Missions sabotaged by the Spies: 3

The Spies win!
Attachments
Resistance 3.5.xls
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by jayhsu on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-Jay
jayhsu

Postby roband » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 pm UTC

*dance* yay :)

Thanks for the game jay - and please ignore all my "fed up of this shit now mannnn" posts, it was all part of the plan :P
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby jayhsu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

Heh good, I was worried you were not enjoying it.

R4 may be in signups as early as next week. If not, there will likely be new and substantial additions to the game.

Thanks for playing, it was fun to watch. If one of the spies wants to post webby's Spy Guide for the game, feel free (though perhaps you want to keep it close to the chest...)
-Jay
jayhsu

Postby roband » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

We had secret names and errrthing.

I won't be signing up for R4, this was much easier to get my head around with the smaller games at the start.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby webby » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

I don't think there's anything particularly tricky in here, should all be reasonably obvious:

webby wrote:Ok, we only have an hour left to talk. I want to make a reference post here.

If you are on a mission, and you are first alphabetically, fail. The exception is if 'In the Spotlight' is used on you, or if 'Keeping a Close Eye on You' is going to be used on you and you're not the only spy on the mission. If In the Spotlight is used on you and you are the only spy, it's up to you whether to fail or not. I actually originally held the view that failing was the wrong thing to do, but I think it might actually be necessary. In most cases, I would fail even if it exposed me as a spy.

Oh, and in case one of us is confirmed as a spy, I propose the following codenames for them to use for people (never use the same codename for the same person twice):
Gopher of Pern - Charles, Bob, Sarah, Katie, Michael
mpolo - David, Paul, George, Amy, Sally
roband - Mark, John, Catherine, Rebecca, Patrick
webby - Robert, Bill, Alana, Kevin, Julia

For example, if I was to be confirmed as a spy, and I felt that roband was considered most suspicious, followed by Gopher, followed by mpolo, I might say 'New fail order - Mark, Charles, David', which would mean roband would be the one to fail if multiple spies were on the mission. Be careful not to give town information when doing this - ie don't tell a specific person to fail, or they'll know there are two spies on the mission. (Unless there aren't actually two spies and you feel like spreading wine ).

Rules as to who fails:
1) If you are 'In the spotlight', you do not fail unless you are the only spy on the mission. The next spy in the order fails.
2) If you are going to have 'Keeping a Close Eye on You', do not fail unless you are the only spy on the mission. The next spy in the order fails.
3) An order proposed by a confirmed spy as above trumps previous agreements about fail rules.
4) A secret message using our codes saying you are going to fail trumps other agreements.
5) Anyone who is in a 'one in two' situation as roband was last game, and hence under suspicion, fails first. This has priority over alphabet.
6) Alphabetically is the default if the above don't determine who should fail.

Best people to give plot powers to:

Strong Leader - give to mpolo. If we get 2 rejects in a row, this plus no confidence will win us the game. (2 rejects, mplo then rejects, then I reject, then someone uses no confidence for the 5th reject.

Opinion Maker - doesn't matter.

No confidence - Any of us, but maybe preferably not mpolo. See Strong Leader above.

Overheard conversation - Weiyaoli.

Keep Eye on you - Will possibly change who fails the mission. If one of us has it on us, on a 4 man mission we need to get a second spy, and let them fail it. A 1 in 3 chance of being spy is good for us.

In the spotlight - most important power, try and get it to a spy.

Take Responsibility - If mpolo gets, can steal strong leader off someone. This would be hard to justify doing though, so maybe go for something more townie.

Establish Confidence - Not a good power for us to have, especially on a small mission.

Open Up - Can be given to anyone, but if you receive this, try to pick a spy.

Remember that if you get an investigative power, it's usually best to say that someone is resistance, with some exceptions, mostly late game.

Codes during team acceptance vote stage:
mpolo - ... intends to pass, -- (I don't know how to do the long dash ) intends to fail. Neither means he thinks it's alphabetical.
webby - mentioning uni/work = intends to pass, mentioning going out = intends to fail. 'Ok, so' starting a post, as well as your name means I've received your message.

Adding because they haven't posted - roband - in a post means going to fail, means going to pass.
Gopher - typo of the form 'lik ethis' or 'thi sis wrong' (ie a letter belonging to the wrong word) means you're going to fail, two words run together without a space means you're going to pass.

We shouldn't need them though, only use them if it's not obvious who's going to fail (ie if town is still considering who to use a power like 'Keeping a Close Eye on You' on.

There were more PMs obviously, but that was supposed to be our summary/reference. Thoughts/possible improvements? As it turned out, hardly any of that was necessary (except of course making sure only one of us failed mission 1).
webby

Postby roband » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

roband I would suggest you keep proposing ideas, while keeping going on about what you were last game about 'I'm not good at logic, but... (insert plausible but bad idea here)' etc.

Haha
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Adam H » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Man we got schooled! The trickiest parts for me:
-Roband arguing so much with me, and then WEBBY saying, 'you both are probably town for arguing with such hatred.'
-Mpolo opening up to webby because BF told him too.

I imagine it was fun for the spies to hear me and BF both saying VZ is 99% spy. palm, meet face.

roband wrote:AdamH's remorse almost made the game amazing for me though
I'M SURE IT DID. You know what, I take it all back - you're an idiot! Damn that doesn't work now that you won so handily. :?

BoomFrog wrote:AdamH: How did you go so quickly from "What madness is this to propose Roband" to "Roband's the most trustworthy person in the game"?? I thought we were set to use Mpolo for this mission which is why I didn't even discuss it. I don't think any real town actually wanted a quick proposal, I was happy to discuss more... : /
Haha yeah I did a quick turn around didn't I. Several reasons, I finally stopped getting hung up on Roband not using NC on mission 2, partly because of his spectacular arguing style and partly because I realized no one else had a problem with it. That really was the only thing making me suspect him. Second, misnomer's graph was reasonable - we were trusting mpolo for the same reason, that there were only a couple team possibilities with him on it. Third, no one made a peep of encouragement for roband's mission. Fourth, mpolo was saying some really screwy stuff there at the end.

But yeah anyways sorry I didn't pick... uh... lorenz? BF? Man roband and mpolo were head and shoulders above everyone else!!!
-Adam
Adam H

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Can't blame you specifically AdamH. The fact that we had "confirmed" VZ as a spy was really the nail in the coffin for us. Everyone in town with the possible exception of Lorenz was simple wrong about who the spies were. We utterly lost.
BoomFrog

Previous

Return to Mafia