Annoying words, and Words You Hate

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Monika » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Uh huh, but i wouldn't call it an entry. I saw that but since the definition was a link to 'Object', it didn't seem as helpful as the other source I found (should have linked to it, sorry). I was already going on the assumption that it meant "to object" anyways so I'm not sure what your point in posting was.

The point is that "I guess "take exception" isn't an entry in an official dictionary" is wrong. It totally is an entry in an official dictionary.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Monika

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

Adam H: I prefer language to be bland unless it's so generic it would cause confusion. For example, why would someone say, "They're re-paving the boulevard," when they could just say "street" or "road"?

Also, do you approve of an "issue" of a newspaoer, or do you prefer "edition"?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:It seems like you are just screwing around with me.

I can't imagine where you got that idea.
Eebster the Great

Postby Adam H » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Monika wrote:The point is that "I guess "take exception" isn't an entry in an official dictionary" is wrong. It totally is an entry in an official dictionary.
I disagree that your link was to an "entry". Anyways, it certainly doesn't matter. If it makes you happy, you win and my GUESS was wrong.

The Scyphozoa wrote:Adam H: I prefer language to be bland unless it's so generic it would cause confusion. For example, why would someone say, "They're re-paving the boulevard," when they could just say "street" or "road"?
Your example only works because no one uses boulevard in everyday conversation. A better example would be, "They're re-doing the road" rather than "they're re-paving the road", which irks the crap out of me.

Also, do you approve of an "issue" of a newspaoer, or do you prefer "edition"?
I have no problem with magazine/newspaper issue rather than edition. It has a precise meaning.

Eebster the Great wrote:I can't imagine where you got that idea.
You ARE screwing around with me! Wait, are you speaking in a dry voice? Or indignant voice? I can't tell...
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Monika » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

How could it possibly not be an entry?
Monika

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:05 am UTC

It looked like an entry to me, of the verb "take" and the phrase "take exception" under the umbrella of that entry.
Anonymously Famous

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:33 am UTC

Adam H wrote:You ARE screwing around with me! Wait, are you speaking in a dry voice? Or indignant voice? I can't tell...

I don't normally read my posts aloud, actually.
Eebster the Great

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:17 am UTC

Adam H wrote:Hating bland language is surely not weird, is it?
No, and if you've read much of the thread, you'll no doubt notice that few people take issue with a poster simply stating that they don't like a word because of its sound or its blandness or whatever. The issue people had with your complaint in particular was combining it with the claim that there's always better phrasing available, and then providing examples where you know better than the person speaking what they certainly mean. If you just stated your personal preference or aesthetic impressions of the word, it would have been a non-issue.

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that I wasn't able to work your other example into that paragraph, but that's a separate issue.
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Adam H » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

Monika wrote:How could it possibly not be an entry?
Anonymously Famous wrote:It looked like an entry to me, of the verb "take" and the phrase "take exception" under the umbrella of that entry.
I interpreted it as the entry was of the verb "take", and everything underneath it was examples of how to correctly use the word take. But anyways, your quibble is really annoying because I said "I GUESS (as in, I'm not claiming to know) 'take exception' isn't an entry in an official dictionary."

gmalivuk wrote:No, and if you've read much of the thread, you'll no doubt notice that few people take issue with a poster simply stating that they don't like a word because of its sound or its blandness or whatever. The issue people had with your complaint in particular was combining it with the claim that there's always better phrasing available, and then providing examples where you know better than the person speaking what they certainly mean. If you just stated your personal preference or aesthetic impressions of the word, it would have been a non-issue.

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that I wasn't able to work your other example into that paragraph, but that's a separate issue.
First, LOL.

Second, I DID notice that no one cared about any other word-hatred. That's why I was so taken aback by all the responses!

Third, my claim was that there is "almost always" a better phrasing. Please don't lie about what I said to make me look foolish.

Fourth, I should have made it clearer that my examples were not meant to be a pretentious "I know what you mean better than you do". I was giving examples of exactly which usages of "issue" I dislike - when I KNOW what the other person means, via context or simply me asking "I'm sorry, what do you mean when you say that?" By giving those examples, I hoped to avoid questions like, "what about when people say 'magazine issue', does that bug you?"

So surely this has been one big misunderstanding and now it's case closed and we can go back to discussing words like inflammable and eyeball.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Second, I DID notice that no one cared about any other word-hatred. That's why I was so taken aback by all the responses!
If you read more of the thread, you'll see that in fact people do care about a number of other complaints like they have about yours. It's just that it's pretty much only and always those where someone claims to have some kind of objective or "logical" reason for their arbitrary aesthetic preference.
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

This thread is only for irrational word hatred. As soon as you start the normal human process of rationalization, you are likely to be metaphorically tarred and feathered.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I interpreted it as the entry was of the verb "take", and everything underneath it was examples of how to correctly use the word take. But anyways, your quibble is really annoying because I said "I GUESS (as in, I'm not claiming to know) 'take exception' isn't an entry in an official dictionary."

I realize that you were only guessing, but I find it funny how vehemently you argued that it wasn't an entry.

I dislike the words "anyways" and "quibble." "Anyways" because it's not correct standard usage and "quibble" because it sounds funny.
Anonymously Famous

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Anonymously Famous wrote:I dislike the words "anyways" and "quibble." "Anyways" because it's not correct standard usage and "quibble" because it sounds funny.

Now you've done it.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Would it help if I apologized in advance? It's just that sometimes it's hard for me to think of specific words that I find annoying until I see them used somewhere.
Anonymously Famous

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
Anonymously Famous wrote:I dislike the words "anyways" and "quibble." "Anyways" because it's not correct standard usage and "quibble" because it sounds funny.
Now you've done it.
No, because it's true that it's not standard usage, and sounding funny is a subjective aesthetic judgment. Nothing wrong with either of those.

We only tar and feather people if their rationalizations are not actually rational despite pretending to be.

gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Adam H » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

Anonymously Famous wrote:I dislike... "quibble" because it sounds funny.
What a grump! :D

Anonymously Famous wrote:I realize that you were only guessing, but I find it funny how vehemently you argued that it wasn't an entry.
Vehemently? Monika asked me how it was not an entry, so I answered quite calmly.
Adam H wrote:Uh huh, but i wouldn't call it an entry. I saw that but since the definition was a link to 'Object', it didn't seem as helpful as the other source I found (should have linked to it, sorry). I was already going on the assumption that it meant "to object" anyways so I'm not sure what your point in posting was.
Adam H wrote:I disagree that your link was to an "entry". Anyways, it certainly doesn't matter. If it makes you happy, you win and my GUESS was wrong.

Damn you all to hell. Issue is the suckiest word of all for the most rational reasons of all. :o
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Fine. It wasn't vehemently. "Vehemently" is a fun word to use, though (albeit an inaccurate word in this case).
Anonymously Famous

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

I dislike the phrase "Listen: Fuck you."
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

I dislike curse words as a general rule, because their purpose is either to insult, demean or express extreme frustration or anger.

Can't we all just get along and be happy?
Anonymously Famous

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

Curse words have other uses, as in phrases like "Holy shit!"
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

Anonymously Famous wrote:I dislike curse words as a general rule, because their purpose is either to insult, demean or express extreme frustration or anger.

Not in general. If I call a particular security "fucking fungible" or a new wine "piquant as shit," I certainly don't mean any of those things.
Eebster the Great

Postby Anonymously Famous » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:15 am UTC

Your points are well taken.

I still dislike them.
Anonymously Famous

Postby Monika » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:20 am UTC

Anonymously Famous wrote:I dislike curse words as a general rule, because their purpose is either to insult, demean or express extreme frustration or anger.

And what is wrong with expressing extreme frustration or anger?

Can't we all just get along and be happy?

No, most certainly not.
Monika

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Anonymously Famous wrote:Can't we all just get along and be happy?
Listen: Fuck you.

gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Anonymously Famous » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

Well, that was a little unnecessary.
Anonymously Famous

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

To be totally honest, "go fuck yourself" and "get fucked" are much kinder than most insults out there.
Eebster the Great

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

Anonymously Famous wrote:Well, that was a little unnecessary.
Look, if people keep complaining about specific words or phrases that are then perfectly applicable to the very next post in the thread, I'm going to keep using said words or phrases in response to said posts.

gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Gigano » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:29 am UTC

swaffelen

It's a Dutch verb, meaning "to waggle your (semi-erect) penis against someone else or against an object".

It got a lot of attention in the Dutch media, when a student from Rotterdam 'swaffled' his penis against the Taj Mahal and posted a video of it online. Of course, the student was suspended. But the worse part is that the word was elected "Word of the Year 2008". That is an annual award to highlight neologisms or expressions that have become quite popular in the recent year. And I hate it.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.
Gigano

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 am UTC

That word is too hilarious to be real, and yet it is, much like choad, a word which annoys me to no end. I don't even believe choads are a thing in reality.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:48 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:That word is too hilarious to be real, and yet it is, much like choad, a word which annoys me to no end. I don't even believe choads are a thing in reality.

As far as I can tell, the word was originally used (and is still sometimes used) as a more general synonym for "penis" before it obtained its more specific modern sense. And yes, they do really exist.
Eebster the Great

Postby emceng » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

Gigano wrote:swaffelen

It's a Dutch verb, meaning "to waggle your (semi-erect) penis against someone else or against an object".

Holy crap, now that song makes sense! The guy isn't saying "Every day I'm shuffling". He's saying "Every day I'm swaffelen!"
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby modularblues » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

modularblues

Postby The Mockingbird » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Has anyone mentioned "Hubby" and "Mancave" yet? :shock:
The Mockingbird

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

The Mockingbird wrote:Has anyone mentioned "Hubby" and "Mancave" yet? :shock:

Now that you have, I wish you hadn't.
Eebster the Great

Postby The Mockingbird » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

The 22 year old producers* at cnn.com were using those words every couple of days for a while -- usually in the same story. I swear my blood pressure rose slightly everytime I saw them.

*educated guess by a former TV journalist
The Mockingbird

Postby ShootTheChicken » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

I'm okay with Mancave. It's pretty descriptive - gets the job done well.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:

Ditto.
The card wrote:GO TO THE CIRCUS. FIREWORKS AND WHISTLES, LION TAMERS AND CLOWNS. HOO RAH.
Magnanimous

Postby Lazar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Ditto.

And equally so, "the wife".
When it gets loudly, it gets very loud indeed!
Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby nasalhernia » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

I hate the word facetious. I am not being facetious when I say this.
nasalhernia

Postby Lazar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

I love that word. And I'm not being facetious either.
When it gets loudly, it gets very loud indeed!
Lazar
Landed Gentry

PreviousNext

Return to Language/Linguistics