The Character X Versus Character Y Thread

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Character X Versus Character Y Thread

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

So.. like I said, Clockstopper shenanigans.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby WarDaft » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:51 am UTC

Or entrap him in a time dilation field faster than he can react. This of course will only work if he has not abandoned the concept of his body as being himself instead of just a useful tool that responds to his whims, thus decentralizing himself from his physical form and getting that much closer to actually being a god. But if he hasn't then he's, pardon the pun, stuck.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.
WarDaft

Postby Danohk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 am UTC

I believe Superman would win this fight. In order to generate the kind of power necessary to defeat Supes, Goku would have to stand in one place screaming at the top of his lungs for at least 15-20 minutes. This gives Superman plenty of time to knock Goku for a transplanted alien loop.

Just curious...is Superman using any of his Kryptonian technology during this showdown?

All this is really beside the point, because these two guys are such stand-up heroic types that they'd never fight. Hence, the winner of the fight is ultimately whoever owns the rights.
Danohk

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

Danohk wrote:I believe Superman would win this fight. In order to generate the kind of power necessary to defeat Supes, Goku would have to stand in one place screaming at the top of his lungs for at least 15-20 minutes. This gives Superman plenty of time to knock Goku for a transplanted alien loop.

Just curious...is Superman using any of his Kryptonian technology during this showdown?

All this is really beside the point, because these two guys are such stand-up heroic types that they'd never fight. Hence, the winner of the fight is ultimately whoever owns the rights.

Heh. You've never read a cross-company crossover, have you? The plot - almost without fail is as follows.

Hero A from Universe A ends up in Universe 1. Hero A sees Hero 1 and Villain 1 in combat, only with Hero 1 about to strike down the "defenseless" Villain 1. Hero A attacks Hero 1, Villain 1 escapes. Pages are devoted to Hero A attacking "Someone who would attack the defenseless" without actually saying that, Hero 1 defends himself against "some horrible new villain" without ever saying that - as either one of those statements would prompt the other to immediately stop and say "Whoa, wait a minute, I think there's been a mistake".

Though inevitably, one will figure it out before the other, and stop fighting, causing the other hero to stop, they figure out they're both Good, and share a laugh oblivious to the millions in property damage their tussle caused.

Meanwhile Villain 1, in his escape, bumps into a confused Villain A. Rather than fighting, they have a conversation where they determine they're both pissed of evil folk and that they have powers or abilities that can be useful against each other's nemesis (Villain 1 can take down Hero A, and vice versa).

Heroes 1 and A eventually discover Villains A and 1 are working together, team up to take them down, try the A vs 1 approach, get their asses kicked, switch back to the traditional A vs A and 1 vs 1 OR use tactics that HA taught H1 and H1 taught HA, and ultimately save the day - just in time for the Trans-dimensional Warp to reopen, with Hero A taking Villain A back to Universe A, possibly in a very public manner, but still proving once and for all to the peoples of both Universe 1 and Universe A that other realities filled with equally heroic and villainous people exist - and will never be spoken of again. Ever.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Danohk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:16 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hero A from Universe A ends up in Universe 1. Hero A sees Hero 1 and Villain 1 in combat, only with Hero 1 about to strike down the "defenseless" Villain 1. Hero A attacks Hero 1, Villain 1 escapes. Pages are devoted to Hero A attacking "Someone who would attack the defenseless" without actually saying that, Hero 1 defends himself against "some horrible new villain" without ever saying that - as either one of those statements would prompt the other to immediately stop and say "Whoa, wait a minute, I think there's been a mistake".

Ah, but both Goku and Superman have limited telepathy/empathy. They'd be able to instantly read the others' intentions, and likely get a good sense of his character.

But, you're probably right, since it would all be in the writing, they'd no doubt introduce themselves with heat vision, punches, and energy blasts to entertain the masses.

In my scenario, they would just sit down and have a nice cup of coffee, and compare interdimensional notes. Goku would share with Superman the joys of the senzu bean, and Superman would give Goku a set of clothes that didn't get torn to shreds every time he took a couple of decent hits.
Danohk

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

"Sure, my cape gets burned off, but I buy those in bulk at K-Mart. The blue bodysuit and red undies? All Ma Kent. She's a wizard with the sewing needle. I swear, she's buying thread from Zatanna or Shazam or something."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

His cape was his baby blanket! :3
Endless Mike

Postby Kag » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Short of Clockstoppper shenanigans, I'm not certain there's a way to stop Manhattan.

Extremely late: Manhattan's powers have the fatal flaw of being physics. You know who beats physics? Wizards.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.
Kag

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:44 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Short of Clockstoppper shenanigans, I'm not certain there's a way to stop Manhattan.

Extremely late: Manhattan's powers have the fatal flaw of being physics. You know who beats physics? Wizards.

did someone call for a wizard?

also, superman kicks gokus ass
Tomlidich

Postby drewder » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:02 am UTC

I think this pretty much proves Goku is going to win. He can create muffins just by wanting them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqiBRFZBD1Q
drewder

Postby theknownuniverse » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:56 am UTC

I've been having a similar argument with a friend of mine over who would win if Doctor Manhattan faced off against The Doctor. I find there rare pretty good justifications for both sides, but everyone I've asked immediately sides with The Doctor. What do you think?
theknownuniverse

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

This has been covered a million times, Manhattan wins everything without shenanigans. The Doctor isn't all powerful, he's just quick-witted and resourceful. Manhattan can control the atoms in your body, resourcefulness doesn't cut it.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

The doctor can pull the aforementioned clockstopper shenanigans, but I think that gets him in trouble with the timeline, doesn't it? I never paid that much attention to Dr Who outside of Torchwood crossovers.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby frogman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:59 am UTC

What about Q vs. Doctor Manhattan?
yeah yeah yeah
frogman

Postby Diadem » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:51 pm UTC

Well at some point you're just asking what happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
Diadem

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

At which point the answer is "whoever's writer can win in a wedgie fight".

My vote is on Alan Moore.
Belial

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:00 pm UTC

Belial wrote:At which point the answer is "whoever's writer can win in a wedgie fight".

My vote is on Alan Moore.

Alan Moore vs the entire writing staff of TNG?

fwiw, I think Q would win, or offer Manhattan a place in the Q continuum,
even imagining that Dr Manhattan is all powerful within the physical realm, Q is powerful beyond the physical realm, there's nothing stopping Q from unlocking the door to the chamber that created Dr Manhattan, although that isn't really Qs style, more likely he was the one that caused it to lock, as a joke.

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:Alan Moore vs the entire writing staff of TNG?

Yes.
Belial

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

Always bet on Alan Moore. For your own sake.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.
Virtual_Aardvark

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

Alan Moore wins. Every game. Even the ones he's not playing.

Especially the ones he's not playing.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

What was the context for the care package thing again? It's been a while
Belial

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

it had to do with a strip back, where Davan is telling comic writers/artists how he appriciates them with care packages.
here
418 I'm a teapot
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

Belial wrote:What was the context for the care package thing again? It's been a while

The prior comic.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:59 am UTC

I love RK Milholland because he hates all the people I hate.
Belial

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

I am simply pulled into the comic by his beard. it looks so luxurious.

I wish my beard was that luxurious.

Though mine is verging on magnificent.
418 I'm a teapot
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

Who's beard? Milholland's or Moore's?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

either, both?
but in this case, Milholland.
418 I'm a teapot
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Previous

Return to Comics/Graphic Novels