Machine of Death!

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Machine of Death!

Postby Czhorat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:20 am UTC

I just submitted SHAME. It was written pretty quickly in the middle of the night over several days and was pretty fun to do. And Ajax is in it. You just can't write a bad story with Ajax.
Czhorat

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

The powdered cleanser, Ontario city, or web programming thingamajig?
Jorpho

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:The powdered cleanser, Ontario city, or web programming thingamajig?

Greek hero?

I didn't manage to write a new story, but I did submit an old one, refixed and made shiny. "Stabbed in the Back." Thinking of maybe writing a drabble for them around midnight tomorrow, and submitting that.
http://zombiesintelligently.com : blogful of words and flash fiction. Now also music? Broadcast from the Tundra.
Belial wrote:
Kewangji wrote:On of them is clearly vastly cooler than the other, roband. :roll:

Don't you fucking "to the fairest" this forum.
Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Czhorat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:10 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:
Jorpho wrote:The powdered cleanser, Ontario city, or web programming thingamajig?

Greek hero?

That one. Ajax, son of Telemon.

Although I suppose I could have written about the cleanser.
Czhorat

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:41 am UTC

Czhorat wrote:
Kewangji wrote:

Greek hero?

That one. Ajax, son of Telemon.

Although I suppose I could have written about the cleanser.

But can in incorporeal Billy Mays actually kill somebody?
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby no-genius » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Did any of you submit a story to that robot contest for which you would us to jump on the vote button?

I didn't really get more than half-way, but I might finish it just for the hell of it.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:13 am UTC

Qwantz linked to this rather lovely video today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoJJIGnYd4M
Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:37 am UTC

How about those flash fics? Have you submitted one of those? It's at the bottom of http://machineofdeath.net/v2-summary .

I thought I could do something with the Wicked Witch of the East or Tyrell, but I couldn't quite make it work.
Jorpho

Postby Kewangji » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:28 am UTC

Oh, I'd forgotten about those. Well, I'll compose one.

And I composed one! The prediction in it was "CHOKED TO DEATH BRUTALLY BY THE SECOND PERSON TO SEE THIS PREDICTION".
http://zombiesintelligently.com : blogful of words and flash fiction. Now also music? Broadcast from the Tundra.
Belial wrote:
Kewangji wrote:On of them is clearly vastly cooler than the other, roband. :roll:

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:50 am UTC

Well, Really Angry Camel isn't in the cloud, so at least that was original.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Kewangji » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:54 am UTC

I believe the word cloud picked some original titles to fill out. (Also, that's a nice title)
Belial wrote:

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:I believe the word cloud picked some original titles to fill out. (Also, that's a nice title)

Probably, but those seem to be mostly common. Though, if I get anything out of my story, it's the "Thank you for not killing Hitler" sign on the time machine.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:50 am UTC

Oh yay, they picked my flash fic! I won't tell you which one. Needless to say, I think it's kind of dwarfed by the Dinosaur Comics, Family Matters, and Seinfeld bits. Majestic, those.

I slightly preferred my other submission, but I guess it came out a little wrong.
"Of course I knew that mere bullets wouldn’t stop you," she purred demurely. "They don’t know you like I do, Mr. Bond."

He chuckled, absentmindedly sipping his drink. "Really?"

"For instance, they don’t know your prediction is 'stirred vodka martini'!"

As she laughed, he realized with a shock that the olive had gently lodged in his trachea.
Jorpho

Postby Kewangji » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

Alas, mine didn't get in, perhaps because it has nothing to do with neat references.
He shot the receptionist a glance. Did he really need insurance? CHOKED TO DEATH BRUTALLY BY THE SECOND PERSON TO SEE THIS PREDICTION it said. Tom stared at it until it made sense. It had the watermark of the Ferryman Foundation. Impossible to fake. Obligatory to mail around. He got to choose his own murderer.
Belial wrote:

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Jorpho » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:05 am UTC

Well, looks like the show is over, and the numbers alone don't exactly favor anyone here making it in. I do appreciate that some of you folks were kind enough not to tell me that my story was outright terrible.

So, now what? Are any of you going to be submitting to the other blog ?

Kewangji wrote:Alas, mine didn't get in, perhaps because it has nothing to do with neat references.
He shot the receptionist a glance. Did he really need insurance? CHOKED TO DEATH BRUTALLY BY THE SECOND PERSON TO SEE THIS PREDICTION it said. Tom stared at it until it made sense. It had the watermark of the Ferryman Foundation. Impossible to fake. Obligatory to mail around. He got to choose his own murderer.
Is that supposed to be some sort of White Wolf reference..?
Jorpho

Postby Kewangji » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

I didn't have any references at all, in fact.

My story didn't make it in. Nicest rejection letter ever, though (even if it was form). Might submit to that blog once it's gained a bit of traction, I think.
Belial wrote:

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

I only just now finally got around to finishing the original anthology. I really liked some of the last stories, namely HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE and CASSANDRA. COCAINE AND PAINKILLERS was pretty good too.

I'll probably hold off on buying the second one until it shows up in a Humble Bundle (I think the odds are likely), or perhaps if I make it to the Toronto Comic Arts Festival again. Free excerpts are here and here if you're not aware.

I hope they have another contest again sometime; I have a vastly improved concept in mind. Of course, I reckon the last one must have been thoroughly exhausting indeed.
Jorpho

Previous

Return to Books