Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:49 am UTC

Spoiler:
There were EMP mines and mine templates in the wall lockers, so I just put EMP mines everywhere. That plus explodey revolver of awesomeness and this boss battle went as well as the first.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:41 am UTC

Success, didn't realise there were wall lockers, too busy running.

Spoiler:
After finding 2 stimpacks, and having 2 painkillers. I was able to survive all four wall generators. Then he sort of stood still. So two sniper rifle rounds put an end to her.

Just completed it, and witnessed all the endings.

Amazing.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

I'm stuck on the 3rd boss.

Spoiler:
All my augs have been disabled, so there's fuck all I can do except shoot. And he outguns me. How am I supposed to do this bit?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I'd guess you don't have the grenade launcher? 4 shots from that took him down for me... (plus an EMP grenade at the start to stun him)

I didn't end up using it for anything else so I just carried it in my inventory for a lot of the game.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I'm stuck on the 3rd boss.

Spoiler:
All my augs have been disabled, so there's fuck all I can do except shoot. And he outguns me. How am I supposed to do this bit?

Spoiler:
Your augs aren't disabled. Smart vision is extremely useful if you have it. Also, there's a laser rifle in that room.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Spoiler:
For the 3rd boss.

I went back to the turret, hacked it. Picked it up and brought it to the boss fight with me.

Just fight him around it, it did 90% of work. Made the fight real easy.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

Never mind, I got past him. My method was multiple retries and sheer bloody-mindedness.

Spoiler:
Kag, yes my augs were disabled, because I was dumb enough to go to the LIMB clinic to get my glitch fixed.

Anyway, I completed the game now. I went for the "blow everything to hell" ending. I guess that doesn't need to be in a spoiler because there's always that ending in a Deus Ex game.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I went to the Limb clinic because I thought that the glitch could screw me over.

I also thought that going to LIMB could also screw me over, but took the risk.

Silly mistake that was.

My ending was the Taggart ending, with restricted advancement.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Thanks, I've been looking everywhere to see whether to get my chip replaced or not. I had a good idea that replacing it might end poorly, but I wasn't sure if it would end poorly in a 'will screw you over later' kind of way or a 'have an interesting adventure' kind of way and none of the wiki's/walkthroughs I skimmed had any information one way or another.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

Just finished this now, thought it was brilliant and definitely deserving of the Deus Ex name. Managed to get the pacifist and foxiest of hounds (no alarms set off) achievements on the hardest difficulty, pretty happy with that. As for which ending I picked:
Spoiler:
I went with Taggart, since I felt it tied in with the original the best, with the limiting augmentations via killswitch and keeping the Illuminati around. Though I liked Sarif's ending cutscene the best.

That third boss was pretty annoying, but this is Deus Ex so I trust nothing and no-one, can't imagine how hard it'd have been if that wasn't the case. The best advice for the bosses is to stick with the prod*, prod with the prod*.

*stun gun

EDIT:
Spoiler:
I also saved Malik, was pretty tense as I ran between people invisibly to stun them and taking out the snipers with the tranq gun, and luckily EMP'd bots don't count against pacifist runs.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I didn't realise you could, by the time I did. It was too late.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I also lost Mallik, I didn't realize it was possible to save her.
Beat it today with Taggert ending, although I seriously considered the suicide ending. So obviously the cutscene you get changes on your ending but does the secret cutscene after the credits change? For that matter anyone who finished, any one know what he hell was going on for the secret cutscene? I get that its Bob Page and its tying into the original Deus Ex, but I haven't played that recently enough to make any sense of it.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:26 am UTC

So the bosses don't count against the "no kill" runs then? Wasn't sure how that'd work out...

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:35 am UTC

Right. Kind of disappointing, really.

Also
Spoiler:
Oh my god, those gangsters with the heavy machine guns and the welding masks (or whatever). Empty half a magazine of my combat rifle into their faces and their all "meh".

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:53 am UTC

Enokh wrote:Also
Spoiler:
Oh my god, those gangsters with the heavy machine guns and the welding masks (or whatever). Empty half a magazine of my combat rifle into their faces and their all "meh".

Spoiler:
I upgraded the 10 mm pistol with laser sight/silence/Armor Piercing and it takes them out in one head shot. Its the best weapon. Honorable mentions goes to the combat rifle with seeking bullets.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:00 am UTC

Enokh wrote:Right. Kind of disappointing, really.

Also
Spoiler:

Revolver with exploding bullets. one shots the standard mooks and two shots the heavies. It might even one shot them with a head shot.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

psion

Postby psion » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:12 am UTC

This game is sorely missing melee weapons.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:14 am UTC

I loved my Laser sighted, armour piercing, +2 damage mod, increased capacity pistol.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:18 am UTC

Vapour wrote:I loved my Laser sighted, armour piercing, +2 damage mod, increased capacity pistol.

You need to add silenced. Then it become a silent single shot killer. It's pretty awesome.

Spoiler:
Although all my upgrades to it screwed me in the end, due to no ammo for it. With the game preferring to give out ammo for the Combat/Heavy/Laser/Plasma rifles instead.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:19 am UTC

I stopped using the pistol and revolver because of a lack of ammo :(

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:47 am UTC

My bad, it was silenced :)

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:23 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
Kag, yes my augs were disabled, because I was dumb enough to go to the LIMB clinic to get my glitch fixed.

Spoiler:
Whatever you say, dude.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Muz

Postby Muz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:32 am UTC

Can someone tell me how far I am (percentage-wise) in the game, without spoilers? I just finished the 3rd boss fight. I'm afraid I'm getting near the end, and I don't want it to be over! :cry:
Author of the Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, the epic comedic fantasy where reality TV heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!

Website: Michaelgmunz.com Twitter: @TheWriteMunz Facebook: MichaelGMunz

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:40 am UTC

Muz wrote:Can someone tell me how far I am (percentage-wise) in the game, without spoilers? I just finished the 3rd boss fight. I'm afraid I'm getting near the end, and I don't want it to be over! :cry:

Spoilered just for how far you are in case anyone else doesn't want to know
Spoiler:
There are 4 bosses, the last one is at the very end. So you are probably about 3/4's through. Although I would probably say its the better end of 3/4's

Muz

Postby Muz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:24 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Muz wrote:Can someone tell me how far I am (percentage-wise) in the game, without spoilers? I just finished the 3rd boss fight. I'm afraid I'm getting near the end, and I don't want it to be over! :cry:

Spoilered just for how far you are in case anyone else doesn't want to know
Spoiler:
There are 4 bosses, the last one is at the very end. So you are probably about 3/4's through. Although I would probably say its the better end of 3/4's

Thanks. I knew...
Spoiler:
that there were 4 bosses, but I wasn't sure how evenly spaced they were. I was afraid of running into the last one around the next corner or something, figuratively speaking.
Author of the Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, the epic comedic fantasy where reality TV heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!

Website: Michaelgmunz.com Twitter: @TheWriteMunz Facebook: MichaelGMunz

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:32 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Spoiler:
I also lost Mallik, I didn't realize it was possible to save her.
Beat it today with Taggert ending, although I seriously considered the suicide ending. So obviously the cutscene you get changes on your ending but does the secret cutscene after the credits change? For that matter anyone who finished, any one know what he hell was going on for the secret cutscene? I get that its Bob Page and its tying into the original Deus Ex, but I haven't played that recently enough to make any sense of it.

Spoiler:
So now that I am trying a second playthrough the secret ending serves to indicate that the very first cutscene in the game is Bob Page speaking. It all makes sense now.

Also although after beating it I questioned how much a second playthrough was worth, the story alone makes it worth it. They drop a lot of hints that I never picked up on the first time and now its just like, duh, why didn't I catch that...

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

I really think they added the Typhoon Aug strictly for people playing stealth/pacifist runs. At least the first two bosses are COMPLETELY demolished by it (especially if its upgraded to level 2). Second boss took 2 typhoons plus maybe 1-2 shots with a exploding revolver to kill. Big mechs? One level 2 typhoon destroys them. And there's a TON of ammo for it. So you just need to spend 3 Aug points to not really have to worry much about the forced fights in the game which seems reasonable to me. Having the see through walls aug helps a bunch on the second boss fight too (but thats a good one to have anyways for a stealth run).

Spoiler:
Playing through as a combat monster the best use I had for it was after the scene where Zhao locks her panic room and the guards enter. They stand around getting briefed in a large circle for maybe 30 seconds after the cutscene ends. I cloaked, ran into the middle of the them and activated the Typhoon. All dead, no fuss. Was pretty cool. The only uncool bit of that whole scene was how absolutely stupid Jensen was to somehow let Zhao push him out of the room and activate the panic button. I mean come on, why the hell did he let her behind him?

For other generic mods the one to punch through walls is very useful and I've already found 2 praxis kits behind breakable walls so its already paid for itself. The only problem is you insta-kill anyone standing in front of one of those breakable walls so use your see through walls vision (or radar) if you're playing a pacifist run with it. The inventory augments only seem useful if you're playing a run and gun type since you can hold all the extra ammo and big ass guns. I'd probably pick up the dermal armor just to be on the safe side even on a pacifist run for the bosses on hardest difficulty. The cones of vision and sound display seem kind of pointless to me. Same with longer sprinting. I really didn't find myself sprinting much at all unless I was just going from place to place.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Whatever you say, dude.

Spoiler:
They're disabled at a certain point........

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Okay, so, I loaded up a save from my second playthrough and sprinted in there, and they totally were disabled. Couldn't do anything.

I loaded my hard save from the beginning of the fight in my first game and they weren't. As you can see from the picture, clearly the glitchy shit is going on, but my augs still work. I didn't even notice it until I ran right through a gas grenade.

So I don't know what the fuck. Either there's some other flag for it, or I got the most convenient glitch ever.

Chen wrote:I really didn't find myself sprinting much at all unless I was just going from place to place.

Max cloak, longer sprint, silent sprint. Easymode stealth.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Sooooo what's y'alls verdict on this? Should I spend what little of my money I set aside for superfluous items on this or wait on it?
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

This game is AMAZING. However, the endings were quite a bit lackluster in my opinion, and the final boss fight was the last and worst in a quintet of irritating and nonsensical boss fights.

Spoiler:
I REALLY didn't like the montage+Jensen voice-over. It doesn't actually show or describe things that happen. I also fucking HATED that there were zero plot choices to make until the last 30 seconds of the game -- or 30 minutes, if you count deciding if you were going to find Sarif and the others. I loved how they did the endings in both the other games -- this one just seems terrible. Other than that, great game.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Ortus wrote:Sooooo what's y'alls verdict on this? Should I spend what little of my money I set aside for superfluous items on this or wait on it?

Yes, buy it. The one reason you should is because, on some level I can't explain, it feels like Deus Ex.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:
Spoiler:
I REALLY didn't like the montage+Jensen voice-over. It doesn't actually show or describe things that happen. I also fucking HATED that there were zero plot choices to make until the last 30 seconds of the game -- or 30 minutes, if you count deciding if you were going to find Sarif and the others. I loved how they did the endings in both the other games -- this one just seems terrible. Other than that, great game.

Spoiler:
I, what? Did you actually play the first game? Because it's like exactly the same. There is literally no decision you can make that matters at all until you pick your ending, and then you get a cutscene that tells you exactly fucking nothing about what happens after you make that decision.

on some level I can't explain, it feels like Deus Ex.

I bet it's all the air ducts. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It might just be the voice-over/montage thing that's not doing it for me. When I was referring to how they did the endings in the other games, I was referring to the ending cutscene, not the last-second choices. In DX1 you chat it up with Helios, or it's you talking to some dude in a scene that's a throwback to the opening cinematic, etc. In the second game, you have that creepy-ass one where Dentios (Helionton?) establishes an instantaneous-democracy, one where everyone but those traders die. . .one where there's some sort of religious inquisition against the Greys. So forth. Basically, shit HAPPENS. It's not just the main character waxing poetic over a bunch of images and videos -- and making some pretty absurd actions (in one of the endings he talks about restraint and humanity, yet in that playthrough I was as cruel as possible).

Aside: I laughed when I realized why I couldn't kill Tong.

In any case, I understand that they had quite a few constraints when it came to doing the endings -- if they had shown things happening, they would have had to explain why each ending, no matter what, ended up with the events in DX1. Which wouldn't have exactly been hard, but I could see how it might be off-putting.

Speaking of DX1: is there mention of the plague in HR? I skipped all the side-quests for my first playthrough, that way for my second playthrough I can dig up all the various eastereggs and goodies.

And yeah, I've decided that there's got to be some other conspiracy where all security firms are secretly controlled by one umbrella corporation, who exist to counter all the other conspiracies by giving the wild-card renegade type (the main character, in other words) the chance to actually get shit done. It's not just the insanely stupid air ducts, but the fact that super-high end corporations can only afford. . one camera a hallway?

I also love the idea that there's a conspiracy between Sarif/whoever and the energy bar people, to make it so only the first energy bar can naturally recharge, while the others have to have energy snacks.
Last edited by Enokh on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I stopped using the pistol and revolver because of a lack of ammo :(

Laser sighted pistols are sort of ridiculous (at least on PC). I cleared entire rooms with lengthy sequences of headshots. But yeah, the ammo is a bit scarce.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
There is a cutscene at the very end after credits that mentions a plague. Forgotten the name of it. Either way, best start stocking up on Ambrosia.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

So, second boss.

I've played a stealthy character, so I have no battle-oriented augmentations at all, and no invisibility, speed, run, fall, or damage resistance of any sort. I do have see-through-walls, though.

I have no grenades, no mines (but a mine template, not sure what that's supposed to do), a gun with 5 rounds, a shotgun with 10 rounds, a sniper rifle with two rounds, and a heavy rifle with a metric fuckton of ammo that I'm lugging around and hoping to sell, but I haven't found a vendor since Detroit.
I have one energy slot.
I have no means of healing (I never found more than two bottles of painkillers all game long).

Ideas?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

I honestly just sprinted around and shot her in the face with the heavy machine gun. Took three tries on medium difficulty.

And yeah, pistol was awesome. Was headshotting the hell out of people without the laser sight -- I put the laser sight on my battle rifle, though, and holy shit. That was awesome. And then I ran out of ammo because a couple of levels just didn't have any ammo for it.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I've played a stealthy character, so I have no battle-oriented augmentations at all, and no invisibility, speed, run, fall, or damage resistance of any sort. I do have see-through-walls, though.

That's...pretty much everything. :|

Anyway, as far as I can tell, smart vision does see through cloak, but the range on it is a little smaller than the room, so you might lose her occasionally. If you've got anything upgraded use that first, then switch to the heavy rifle. Just be sure to hang out near cover. Getting into a direct firefight is just asking for trouble.

I mentioned earlier that you can use high jump to survive the electric things going off. I figured that out playing on hard, but I don't know if the electricity damage scales down or anything. Either way, you can pop those one at a time to do a ton of damage to her. Just make sure you keep a wide berth to let your health regenerate afterwards.

You should still be able to avoid her attacks by sprinting, as well. You'll just need timing.

Oh, and, as much as I wish it were the case, reflex booster does not give you the power to damage bosses with takedowns.

Re: Plague
Spoiler:
The ranting guy hanging around when you return to detroit mentions "a death is coming, a grey plague," or something to that effect. I thought it was a nice touch.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:12 am UTC

For second boss
Spoiler:
There are supplies, including mines, grenades and mine templates, in the wall lockers.
Run around the wall to all the lockers and stock up.

Combine grenades with mine templates to create mines, use x-ray vision to spot her and throw mines between her and you, when she trips the mines, blast her with whatever you have, the heavy MG should work.

Shotgun might work too, but I wouldn't recommend letting her get that close unless you have the typhoon, then just use that.

If you have the explosive bullets upgrade for the revolver, which you should get ASAP if you don't, because it is awesome (you can use it to blow up doors and even the weakened wall sections you can bust through with the strength aug, also it does butt-loads of damage, it's basically easy mode for the boss fights and is a freakin revolver that shoots explosive bullets)
there's a lot of revolver ammo in one of the wall lockers so happy blasting.

Another option I've heard is to get her to charge into the four power generators. When she does her melee/typhoon thing at the end of the charge, it will damage the generator and cause an electrical discharge, electrifying the floor and stunning her. If you get her to hit all four generators, you win even if you didn't otherwise do any damage.
Surviving the electrified floor may be a problem though.

Shop locations:
Spoiler:
In Heng Sha, there's one on the first floor of the hung hua hotel, behind a sliding door that has the same pattern as the wall, though it still has the yellow outline when you look at it so should be hard to miss. behind the shop is a sewer tunnel that leads to under The Hive. The other, and better stocked shop starts in the bottom floor of the pod hotel, to the left of the entrance in a storage closet, but later moves to another part of the city that is much harder to find.

Plague:
Spoiler:
I noticed a lot of civilians,a nd towards the end many guards as well seemed to have coughs
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Return to “Gaming”