Nighttime driving music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Nighttime driving music

Postby johnie104 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

I'm creating a playlist for in the car that has music suited for driving (preferrably at night). That doesn't mean I'm looking for mellow music or even music to keep me awake. I'm trying to find music that has a certain 'droning' to it. A bass or a beat that is not too fast and not too slow, that allows you to absent-mindedly bob your head too.

Some examples:
Muse - Praque: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLud8HixARU&feature=related
Portishead - Wandering Star: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQNAZGoZrw

Anyone have some suggestions for songs like this? It can be any genre as long as they have that droning beat to them.
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.
johnie104

Re: Nighttime driving music

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Scorn is really smooth, hypnotizing electronic music, kinda slow but great background music.

Infected Mushroom are something more upbeat with racing beats and soaring guitar solos.

Manes, a former Norwegian black metal band now mixing various genres of music that blends into this dark, athmospheric track that fuses beats, french and english rap, hypnotizing black metal guitar riffing into something entirely new.

Kraftwerk, no other song has translated driving on the german Autobahn so directly as Kraftwerk when they released their album Autobahn, the full version consists of 24 minutes of droning beats with hypnotizing synthesizer, effectively creating one of the best soundscapes ever.

Maybeshewill, for if you're not really into that weird electronic stuff, Maybeshewill is a post rock band ( no singer ) who mix traditional heavy guitar work and drumming with piano riffs and electronics, the album has soft and louder tracks, with the album's title track being 6 minutes of furious rage by even including samples from the famous riot scene from the movie, Network but there are also ballads on the album, so you should decide for yourself what you like the most.

Modest Mouse are a favourite of mine, and you either like them or not, so here goes.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby bosonicyouth » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

I used to deliver pizzas at night in the mountains and really got into making soundtracks for it!

The track that immediately comes to mind is DJ Shadow - What Does Your Soul Look Like pt 4, others off Endtroducing would work too.

other albums:
Three Mile Pilot - Chief Assassin To The Sinister (depressive downtempo indie)
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You (noise rock turned placid)
Earth - Pentastar: In the Style of Demons (drone-rock)
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (canonical shoegaze)
Moondog - anything (outsider neo-classical)
Tortoise - TNT (chilled out electronics-based post rock)
Rowland S. Howard - Teenage Snuff Film (ex-Birthday Party, more interesting than Nick Cave imo)
TV On the Radio - Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes (soul-inflected electro-indie)
Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth (sparse post-punk)
Rockets Red Glare - Self Titled (mathy, moody, bass-heavy post-hardcore)
My Disco - Cancer or Little Joy (ultra-minimalist discordant dance rock)
Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons (eerie guitar rock)
The Microphones - The Glow Pt 2 (fuzzed out drony sad music)
The Van Pelt - Sultans of Sentiment (sparse, driving 90s emo)
Lungfish - anything (repetitive abstract indie rock)
Linton Kwesi Johnson - Dread Beat an' Blood (brooding dub)
Six Organs of Admittance - For Octavio Paz (drony neo-folk)
GZA - Liquid Swords (super stripped back hip hop)
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (moody bass-driven jazz)
Smog - Red Apple Falls (depressive crooning)
Wire - Chairs Missing (experimental post-punk, some gems)
Twin Peaks soundtrack

and if you want it to be kind of terrifying
Goblin - Suspiria (soundtrack to the horror film)

1 millionth edit: sorry I went a bit overboard..
bosonicyouth

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."
ChocloManx

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

Rowland S. Howard - Teenage Snuff Film (ex-Birthday Party, more interesting than Nick Cave imo)

*gasp* Oh no he didn't!

Edit: Thankyouthankyouthankyou thank you for making me listen to this. It's amazing.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Try some T Spigot
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby Sean Quixote » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

First of all, thank you OP for reminding me that I need to verse myself in Portishead's discography.

I dunno if this is quite what you were looking for, but this thread's title reminded me of something that I'm finding just about irresistible to share with y'all. I'm going to link y'all to this video, but before you watch it, know that YouTube or the RIAA or some other douchebag made them change the audio, which was originally the song "Night Diving" by Thrice, so you'll want to queue that up first if you wanna truly appreciate it. :mrgreen:
Sean Quixote

Postby freakish777 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Maybeshewill, for if you're not really into that weird electronic stuff, Maybeshewill is a post rock band ( no singer ) who mix traditional heavy guitar work and drumming with piano riffs and electronics, the album has soft and louder tracks, with the album's title track being 6 minutes of furious rage by even including samples from the famous riot scene from the movie, Network but there are also ballads on the album, so you should decide for yourself what you like the most.

This times a million. Their album "I Was Here For A Moment, Then I Was Gone" is really good. The song "Red Paper Lanterns" is great as is "Farewell to Sarajevo." If you like Maybeshewill, I would definitely recommend Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky and maybe Nine Inch Nails' instrument music (The "Ghosts" album, and a handful of other songs like "A Warm Place", "At The Heart of it All", and "Driver Down").
freakish777

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

These are all my personal favorites for nighttime driving, and they're all fairly rhythmic/catchy for bobbing your head to.

RJD2 - Ghostwriter
If you like sampled stuff.

War Photographer - Jason Forrest
Notable for superb sampling of trombones. Also bonus hilarious animation video. (It's Vikings having a battle of the bands between two warships.)

Royksopp - Happy Up Here
Upbeat and cheerful.
Royksopp - Vision One
Just awesome, I love the bass-line or whatever this counts as.

Nightmares on Wax - 195lbs
If you listen to nothing else in this list, listen to this one. I think it fits the requirements of your request the best.
Nightmares on Wax - Les Nuits
My other favorite NOW track.
Nightmares on Wax - A Case of Funk
Really, you could probably just go to the Nightmares on Wax playlist - 82 videos total - and click on something randomly.

Flying Lotus - My Room is White
Remix of Mia Doi Todd - a little bit more hip-hop, I guess. I was introduced to it after searching for Samurai Champloo-style music. Speaking of which,

Minmi - Shiki No Uta
Produced by Nujabes, outro for Samurai Champloo, pretty mellow awesome tune.

Nujabes - Feather (ft. Cise Starr)
A guy quoting a bunch of literary things. A mellow and melodic rap.

DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World
More sampling goodness.

Maxi Jazz, Robbie Williams - My Culture
Music starts around 1:24, though the intro dialogue sets up the concept.

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Undercooled
Another jazzy and catchy beat/rap/thing.

Scissor Sisters - Music is the Victim
Terminally catchy, contains swear words.

I guess none of these are droning, except for maybe the Nightmares on Wax stuff, but they do have beats you can tap your feet to.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby bosonicyouth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

bump

Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes (hypnotic synth drone - not recommended driving past midnight)
bosonicyouth

Postby freezeblade » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

This type of music is also good for moody wandering through a city at night with a big pair of headphones. My favorite being Ulver - Perdition City. The entire album, front to back, is just so damn good, and perfect for this.

Smokey, Jazz-influenced, Sound-sample-and-ambance-laden trip-hop with precious-few words. So fucking good.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."
freezeblade

Postby philsov » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Return to Music