What is your favourite book?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: What is y'all's favourite book?

Postby anna james » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:27 am UTC

Well with out doubt my favorite books are the books from the series of Harry Porter.
anna james

Re: What is your favourite book?

Postby Memorantix » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

(Ive posted this book in the recommended books thread also, forgive me if this is terribly terribly wrong!)

The Railway Man by Eric Lomax
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Man-Eric-Lomax/dp/0099582317

Tear-jerker at the end, wont spoil it but its amazing and finishes with a bang
Memorantix

Postby alex_O » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

My favourite book is french and obviously not traducted in english, so i would have to settle for Bug Jack Barron, by Spinrad.

There is a twist, and then, there are many others :D. You can feel the characters falling apart, as the story goes, it is awsome !

(If someone speaks french, i do recomend La Horde du contrevent, which means "The Horde of the counterwind", it is a story about 20 people in an inclined world where the wind comes downhill who try to get to the origin of this never stoping wind) .
alex_O

Postby MissAusten » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 am UTC

I have to say "The Greatest Salesman In The World" - Og Mandino. It is a book that I have re-read about six times, I keep it as a real treasure.
MissAusten

Postby illiterati » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:26 am UTC

Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons
"Baby seals are jerks. They deserve to be eaten. They're all horribly racist! They think Hitler was a pretty okay dude! And if there's one thing killer whales hate, it's Nazis." ~ Questionable Content
illiterati

Postby voicedotter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:39 am UTC

well the Assassins apprentice books along with the rest of the trilogy are great and so far they are one of my favs though Magician is still my fav.
voicedotter

Postby Metaphysician » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Either Timequake by Vonnegut or The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald for fiction.

The Tao Teh Ching by Lao Tzu for nonfiction
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Metaphysician

Postby markden111 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:28 am UTC

Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein
markden111

Postby AvatarIII » Tue May 10, 2011 10:42 am UTC

illiterati wrote:Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons

great choices, i love those too, i also really like the Endymion books and Ilium/Olympos.

Postby Mr Space » Fri May 13, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

To be literally honest I don't read that much, but I've heard of a lot of books and they seem pretty nice I guess. I like youtube though, it's so much more cultural than books IMO...
Mr Space

Postby AvatarIII » Thu May 19, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

Mr Space wrote:To be literally honest I don't read that much, but I've heard of a lot of books and they seem pretty nice I guess. I like youtube though, it's so much more cultural than books IMO...

:lol:

Postby Virzy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Mine has to be Slaughterhouse-5 by Kurt Vonnegut.
That book was strangely funny and disturbing and moving at the same time.
Virzy

Postby the_mean_marine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:42 am UTC

Hard to pick between Final Impact (World War 2.3) by John Birmingham and Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks
the_mean_marine

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:28 am UTC

I think the Darkwar trilogy from Glen Cook fits the bill. The characters aren't anything special as far as his writing goes, and the setting isn't anything extraordinary, but the scope... the scope is amazing. You go from reading about a girl growing up as part of a tribe that's just barely, barely escaped the pure hunter-gatherer stage into very rudimentary agriculture, and by the end of the series you're reading about this same girl now a grown, mature woman flying around in space and meeting aliens.

I don't know. I'd give the trilogy as a whole less than an 8, and yet I still think it's an incredible series of books... despite flaws here and there, it's just incredible.

For a single book? Probably Passage at Arms, also by Glen Cook. Think submarines, but in space. The enemies, the protagonists, the narrator... they're all left intentionally vague (almost in the way Orwell leaves the warring armies vague in 1984), fleshed out almost through inference and implication instead of just coming out and saying it. It's about the tension the men in the ship feel as they're sent out to fight an enemy they don't even really know much about, against impossible odds, and yet it does it without trying to make them into heroes - they're just one of many crews doing the same damn thing.
Beardhammer

Postby sdaddy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 am UTC

There are a couple of very great ones. Hyperion by Dan Simmons. 1984 by Orwell. Rendevouz with Rama from Arthur C. Clarke (like 2001). Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keye. They all approach perfection. And yes, I do like science fiction.
sdaddy

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:55 am UTC

sdaddy wrote:There are a couple of very great ones. Hyperion by Dan Simmons. 1984 by Orwell. Rendevouz with Rama from Arthur C. Clarke (like 2001). Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keye. They all approach perfection. And yes, I do like science fiction.

Hard sci-fi? I picked up a little anthology book called Engineering Infinity a few months back and ended up liking some of the short stories there. I've since been discovering that I not only like short stories, books like Engineering Infinity are also a great way of "discovering" new authors.
Beardhammer

Postby Evengeduld » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:20 am UTC

Favorite book at this moment is

"The five people you meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?
Evengeduld

Postby no-genius » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

no-genius Oct, 2007 wrote:I've said this before, but Hitchhikers.
...Of the books I read recently, it would have to be VALIS by Philip K Dick.

Nearly 4 years later (which justifies an update), it's probably Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, who is my favourite author at this point.* So good that when I got to reading the last chapter** I had to stop myself from re-reading the whole thing*** .

* also read (in order) Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, Girl With Curious Hair, The Pale King, Oblivion:Stories, currently reading Consider The Lobster and haven't read A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again (might give The Broom Of The System a miss).
Spoiler:
(chronologically last, but book-wise I was reading the first chaper again)

*** which I think I will at some point, which I can't say for other doorstoppers like the Illuminatus! trilogy and Crytonomicon, although I might re-read Gravity's Rainbow, and I've read House of Leaves about 2 3/4 times.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby meliescomic » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:34 am UTC

The Summer of Katya, by Trevanian. Subtle and heartbreaking. His least action packed novel (most people know him for Shibumi).
meliescomic

Postby tearcastle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

Novel: To kill a mockingbird
Collection of stories: Mythology by Edith Hamilton
Political stuff: The Prince
tearcastle

Postby gavin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

Classic: The Scarlet Pimpernel
Series: Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
gavin

Postby GoddessOfDiscord » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

This is a very hard question, as it seems to depend on my mood and some books are just very hard to compare to others, so I will list a few:

The Hunger Games Trilogy (just finished last night...dear god, it was amazing)
The Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear) -- two VERY amazing books, and I can't wait for the third to come out.
Perks of Being a Wall Flower
Childhoods End

And sooo many more I enjoyed...but those are probably the ones that had the most meaning to me overall.
GoddessOfDiscord

Postby adrianhon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:31 am UTC

It changes more or less every other year or so, but:

Cryptonomicon (followed closely behind by The Diamond Age in the Stephenson pantheon)
The Cyberiad (all of Stanislaw Lem's books are sadly not well-known enough though)
The Player of Games (not the 'best' Culture novel but the most readable)
The Bridge (fantastic Iain Banks non-SF book)
adrianhon

Postby DanielJackins » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:26 am UTC

I haven't read it since grade nine, but The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay has always had a special spot for me. I need to reread it again, soon.

Other than that I enjoy the Song of Ice and Fire series a lot, and after finishing Ender's Game and hearing (from several people) that Speaker for the Dead is even better, I'm excited to pick that up.

After I finish A Dance with Dragons and Speaker for the Dead, I'm going to try out some non-fiction. I've read too much fantasy/sci-fi; time to try out some other stuff.
DanielJackins

Postby Jaqera » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

My favourite book has to be "Magician" by Raymond e Feist.
Jaqera

Postby HamonRat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:54 am UTC

Ohh... it's not originally, but #1 is - Lord Of The Rings. I read it in Russian and in original language. I cannot explain in English, how i love LOTR. It's never get boring, always reader is in a state of motion by Middle-earth. When you imagine all these creatures and if you imagine it farther and farther... Ah! It does not describe with words! :3

However, even if the LOTR is the best book - we can't stop reading other books. Last time i read some books of Haruki Murakami. Might be there is a lot of perversions, but it is very sentimentally and i sometimes cry.

Once in my childhood i was reading A. Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo and The Tree Musketeers. It was great! Alexandre Dumas makes reader to turn over page after page.
HamonRat

Postby The Moomin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

My favourite book for the past fifteen years or so has been Thief of Always by Clive Barker, I read it at least once a year.

Books that have come close to this love I have read more recently are The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares, Replay by Ken Grimwood and the Abarat series by Clive Barker.

Edit: Oh, and the Felix Castor novels by Mike Carey. I can't believe I forgot about them.
Last edited by The Moomin on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Moomin

Postby Gear » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:25 am UTC

The Fifth Elephant - Terry Pratchett
Sherlock Holmes - A. C. Doyle (not technically a book, but has since been bound into book format so I say it counts)
Squire - Tamora Pierce
“What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?”
~Calvin and Hobbes
Gear

Postby dofdiamond » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

I like reading, but most favorite book is

Martin Luther's dirty little book:
On the Jews and their lies

- The Holy Reich: Nazi conception of Christianity
dofdiamond

Postby foxmetrics » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 am UTC

My favorite book is 1984.
foxmetrics

Postby seobts » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:43 am UTC

The god father and Gone with the wind is my most favourite book. I love characters with all their life. They are so strong.
Besides, Pricess Diary by Megg Cabot is also my liking. It's very funny. Micheal is so grreat! :X
seobts

Postby reluctantsaints » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 am UTC

I have always totally adored A Little Princess-- one of those books that for various reasons just stuck with me my entire life. It's sort of typical, I suppose, but as an avid reader as a kid that was the one book I wore to death reading over and over again.

I also really loved the Harper series from the Pern world-- I read the first of Mennolly's in the back of one of my literature books when I was younger and it stayed with me until I found the rest of the series at my library and devoured up until the White Dragon.
reluctantsaints

Postby Denebola » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

I guess I'd say Katharine Kerr's Snare. It's fairly obscure, even for her, but I love it and would really recommend it if you're interested in sci-fi fantasy with shockingly great female and poc characters. Maybe if I reread it I could find some things questionable about it, but I really just build an intense fondness for any sci-fi fantasy that handles racial and gender themes well.
Denebola

Postby Frenetic Pony » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 am UTC

Tie between The Hobbit, which I consider just about the perfect adventure novel; and Ringworld. Which is also an epic adventure novel, but this time a Sci-fi one. I guess I have type of novel I like :mrgreen:
Frenetic Pony

Postby Laserdan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

A Song of Ice and Fire, specifically the first book. Wow, what a refreshing read, especially if you deliberately avoided reading about it beforehand and how it killed just about any cliche. When

Spoiler:
Ned was beheaded at the end of book 1, I was completely shocked. I went through the index of book 2 because I didn't believe he actually died. Best plot twist ever!

I also loved the intrigant wars, and how GRRM managed to turn your view of characters completely around without actuall changing them or popping out DEM, and how no character is really good or bad. Best examples:

Spoiler:
1. How Ned is, at the start when you're still expecting the cliched hero, all righteous and good, but actually, he isn't. His righteousness is obviously somehow more worth than the lives of all the people in Westeros.

2. How Jaime is this incestous bastard who would kill a child without remorse, and seems to not have any kind of honor - but actually, he saved half a million people's lives by killing the king and is basically hated by everyone for it. Worst thing, most of the self-absorbed lawful types would have let those people die in agony to not break their vow.

3. Tyrion. Magnificient bastard.

When I read it all these years ago, the series basically killed 95% of well-received books on the market for me because they can't compare. I also really like that he's not about the big battles and whatnot (there's much of that out there already), but the politics.
Laserdan

Postby axlan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 am UTC

Another vote for house of leaves. I'm a sucker for playing around with a mediums mechanics. I'd like to see someone try to turn it into a movie...
axlan

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

Just finished reading the original Dracula by Bram Stoker. I must say I found it most entertaining, well put together, and genuinely thrilling/scary at some pionts!
Ptolom wrote:penis
I Am Raven

Postby Metaphysician » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:40 am UTC

These days I think it sits firmly tied between "The Great Gatsby" and "Timequake".
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Metaphysician

Postby Salome´ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

My favourite books are:

Crime and Punishment and The brothers Karamazov - Fjodor M. Dostojevski.
War and Piece - Lev N. Tolstoj
The picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde ( I love him so much, he is the best writer ever lived :P )

And I also love Shakespeare, Balzac, Baudelaire, Goethe, Dickens, Keats ...
Hope you like them too :D !
Salome´

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:21 am UTC

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams
"On the Beach" by Nevil Shute
Anything written by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
"Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" by Richard Feynman
"And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."

I'm giving up smiling for Lent. Not really.
JesseScottOwen

PreviousNext

Return to Books