Victoria! //smitten
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: How I Sweat Your Mother

Postby Dark567 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:
Spoiler:
Victoria! //smitten

Right!? She has to be the favorite of Ted's exes... All the rest are a little meh.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby krynd » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:18 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:Any one watching this season at all?

The last episode
Spoiler:
Victoria is back and explains that Robin is getting in the way of all Ted's relationships. It's a somewhat interesting development... probably much better then we have had a for a couple seasons. I am not sure how they will resolve it though as we know Robin will be at Ted's wedding, but won't be the bride.

Spoiler:
I think it'll be at Robin's (and Barney's, more on that later) wedding where Ted meets The Mother. Victoria said that Robin was "more important than [Ted] realizes" and that it's nice that the three of them (Robin, Barney, and Ted) can go around being friends (or something to that effect). I'm also predicting an "epic showdown" between Barney, and that Guy from the episode "Hopeless" (where Barney takes his Dad out to a club for a night of partying) that Robin has a crush on.

Of course, how does Cindy's roommate (of whom, Ted only saw an ankle of) factor into this?
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team
krynd

Postby Dark567 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 am UTC

Has anyone else felt like the most recent season(and in particular tonight's new episode), has been a stark improvement over the last 2 seasons?

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So does this mean Barney and Robin are official now?
ArgonV

Postby Dark567 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I am wondering the same thing, but the fact that I am wondering I think means the answer is no. Had the episode not decided to make Robin's kids an figment of her imagination, I would have said yes. Now it seems anything is possible.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. The episode at the beginning really seemed like it was going to make some progress plot-wise, only to pull its punches at the end. When it nonchalantly started the episode with Robin Narrating to her kids, it was refreshing and a new direction for the show that we probably haven't seen for a couple seasons. To have them hit the reset button and put us basically back where we began seemed like cheating.

Dark567

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I am wondering the same thing, but the fact that I am wondering I think means the answer is no. Had the episode not decided to make Robin's kids an figment of her imagination, I would have said yes. Now it seems anything is possible.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. The episode at the beginning really seemed like it was going to make some progress plot-wise, only to pull its punches at the end. When it nonchalantly started the episode with Robin Narrating to her kids, it was refreshing and a new direction for the show that we probably haven't seen for a couple seasons. To have them hit the reset button and put us basically back where we began seemed like cheating.

Not like they haven't done that before though.
Spoiler:
Still waiting for the yellow umbrella, for instance
ArgonV

Postby Iferius » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

What do you guys think of the latest future wife theory?

Spoiler:
Barney's father Jerry mentions he has two kids; the elder being a girl attending college (quite likely at the time Ted does his bad-lecture-in-the-wrong-classroom thing)
Iferius

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

Oh God...

Spoiler:
I'm from England, so am watching all of the episodes with a minor time delay. I just watched episode 10 last night, and... woah. That ending was one of the saddest things I've seen on television, if not THE saddest.

My brother's watching them all on the internet, though, and he's said episode 12... episode 12 caused controversy. I'm not sure what's more scary, the thought of something *that* bad happening in HIMYM or where my mind is taking me to try and think of things it could be. Two weeks, I guess...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby emceng » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:05 pm UTC

I've now caught up via Netflix to the end of season 6. I'd say the writers are still doing a good job with the show, but the lack of meeting the mother is getting a bit annoying. They even...what's the term, lampshaded it a bit in one of the episodes, where
Spoiler:
Ted decided not to meet Zoey at a coffee shop to get back together, and had an old lady give her flowers. The old lady gave them to the wrong girl, and there was a joke in there about that (not) being the mother.

Don't even know when it's actually broadcast, but probably will wait for season 7 to be on Netflix before watching it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I've now caught up via Netflix to the end of season 6. I'd say the writers are still doing a good job with the show, but the lack of meeting the mother is getting a bit annoying.

I am of the opinion that the show should just introduce her and continue after we know who it is. The show needs some serious plot progression at this point, and I don't think giving away who it is will sink it at this point.

Dark567

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

It wouldn't really make sense though. The whole point is that Ted's telling his kids how he met their mother, not all the stuff after that.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby ArgonV » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

Then again, how the hell is everything that has happened/been told up till now going to be relevant?
ArgonV

Postby Dark567 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:It wouldn't really make sense though. The whole point is that Ted's telling his kids how he met their mother, not all the stuff after that.
When my father tells me the (much shorter) story of how he met my mother, he doesn't stop with "I met her". Usually it includes things like what he did on their first date(movie) etc.

Honestly I don't think the show can drag it on too much longer without suffering for it.

Dark567

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:36 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Honestly I don't think the show can drag it on too much longer without suffering for it.

In my opinion, they're well past that point.
JudeMorrigan

Postby Woopate » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:59 am UTC

Anyone notice that:
Spoiler:
In the episode where Marshall gets told his father had a heart attack, any number from the background/foreground/prop counts down from the start of the episode, with 0 landing when Lilly tells Marshall about his dad? I noticed about 1/8th of the way through and didn't get much out of the episode as I went into full bore "where's Waldo" mode with the numbers, then when it lined up with the heart attack I was all "ohfuck".

They even change apartment numbers for the episode.

Anybody notice anything like this in other episodes?
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Dark567 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:04 am UTC

Woopate wrote:Anyone notice that:
Spoiler:
In the episode where Marshall gets told his father had a heart attack, any number from the background/foreground/prop counts down from the start of the episode, with 0 landing when Lilly tells Marshall about his dad? I noticed about 1/8th of the way through and didn't get much out of the episode as I went into full bore "where's Waldo" mode with the numbers, then when it lined up with the heart attack I was all "ohfuck".

Spoiler:
No this was the only one. And it was a shit episode. If your going to pull a gimmick like that the resolution has to either be comedic or happy. You can't use gimmicks about death, its fairly insensitive even if it is just fiction.

Dark567

Postby Woopate » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:18 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Woopate wrote:Anyone notice that:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
No this was the only one. And it was a shit episode. If your going to pull a gimmick like that the resolution has to either be comedic or happy. You can't use gimmicks about death, its fairly insensitive even if it is just fiction.

Spoiler:
Why do you say that? A countdown kinda foreshadows an important event coming up without hinting at what it is. I would have felt really let down if it was a countdown to the reveal of a surprise party or something. It may be hindsight, but as I remember it, the whole thing got my brain scrambling to figure out what was gonna be at T=0. I Noticed a large number of cuts to Marshall's dad and numbers in each of his scenes, so I had it mostly figured out by T=10. Maybe a cheap gimmick, but it got to me.

I reread what you said and EDIT:
Spoiler:
Alright, yeah, I could see it being insensitive, but I'm still not sure the gimmick has to be restricted to happy or hunerous events. Sitcoms have had surprise subject matter such as this in them for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a trope page about "sudden recurring sidecharacter death" on tvtropes.com but I have things to do. I'd argue that the gimmick and the reveal should be treated separately. The gimmick drew me in very very well.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby apricity » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 am UTC

I finally caught up to the current season, and I gotta say that this show is so fantastic that I really don't mind that we haven't met the mother. I would love to have a season of her and Ted actually dating just to see how she fits in with the group, but the show is so enjoyable that I don't need them to just get to the "point" of it. I do like that they've introduced smaller things to look forward to, like the goat, and the slaps. One of my favorite things about this show is that it is a zillion times better at continuity than most other sitcoms I've seen. They bring back old major and minor characters, like
Spoiler:
Victoria, and Rachel Bilson's character (the mother's roommate), and Laura Prepon's character (that really annoying pretentious girl) and even the Slutty Pumpkin
, and old jokes, like
Spoiler:
the interventions, Robin's teen Canadian popstar/actress career, the smoking and "sandwiches"
I love the way they joke and how half the show is made up of inside jokes. That probably is the thing that annoys a lot of people about the show, but I absolutely love it. Also, Marshall and Lily have managed to have a TV relationship that is realistic, fun to watch, AND almost always highly functional. That's so rare. There have been little things about the show that have annoyed me, especially the latest relationship drama
Spoiler:
(why would Robin say yes to marrying that guy? It seems so out of character for her, and so fast, and they've barely shown any of them getting to know each other, including had they even slept together yet by then?)
, but it's minor and everything else about it is too good to let those things ruin it.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(formerly lanicita)
apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby Dark567 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:33 am UTC

lanicita wrote: I love the way they joke and how half the show is made up of inside jokes. That probably is the thing that annoys a lot of people about the show, but I absolutely love it. Also, Marshall and Lily have managed to have a TV relationship that is realistic, fun to watch, AND almost always highly functional. That's so rare.
Actually this is the reason I started to like the show so much. It deals with relationships, friendships, and dating in a (mostly) realistic way. It's a TV show pretty much about my friends and I sitting at bars and making dumb jokes(once actually at MacLaren's!(which isn't actually named MacLaren's, but McGee's)). I mean I like The Office too, but honestly it has no realism too it(I refuse to believe there is anyone like Micheal or Dwight), its characters and relationships are caricatures.

Dark567

Postby ArgonV » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:27 am UTC

So... Two years max?
ArgonV

Re: How I Met Your Mother

Postby BriAnna85 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

btarlinian wrote:HIMYM is pretty good. I wouldn't rate it the best sitcom on US TV though. The Office and 30 Rock (esp. 30 Rock) are better in my opinion. I like the show, and its premise is quite fun. In fact, everything about the show is quite good, but the Britney guest star didn't really help. Unlike most people, I don't think she was truly horrible. (If she wasn't Britney Spears, I would have just thought, "meh, that actress wasn't so great, oh well"). But if it wasn't for the ratings she brought in, the show would have likely been canceled. And as far as I can tell, HIMYM is far better than the other two comedies on CBS, The Big Bang Theory (which I sometimes find to be a little demeaning) and Two and a Half Men, which is just stupid, so the fact that HIMYM was not canceled is a very good thing.

I would have to agree that the last few episodes did seem a little forced, but I think that mainly stems from the show having been on the bubble. They had to be able to end with either a season finale or a series finale.
Spoiler:
Hence the proposal to Stella.

That's exactly how I felt about the show as well, but I will admit I've seen every episode because they're available on Netflix, so I couldn't help but watch and enjoy it. I actually did a double take during the whole Britney guest star bit - I didn't recognize her at first, even the friends I was watching with had a little bit of doubt about if it was really her. I always thought it was weird for him to be actively talking to his kids about all the ladies he's slept with/wanted to sleep with - but hey, if that's how you like to parent. Still, if I had to choose between 30 Rock and HIMYM I'd always choose 30 Rock, but that's just me.
BriAnna85

Postby Dark567 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:08 am UTC

Big time spoiler from tonight's episode
Spoiler:
Barney is marrying Robin!!!
But now to resolve that whole engagement to Quinn thing.....

Fuck this show, its such a tease.

Dark567

Postby Chen » Wed May 16, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Big time spoiler from tonight's episode
Spoiler:
Barney is marrying Robin!!!
But now to resolve that whole engagement to Quinn thing.....

Fuck this show, its such a tease.

Spoiler:
It does seem they're just throwing major curveballs all over the place. I don't get what made Ted change his mind twice in such a short period of time either in the car. It also seems like Victoria being the mother doesn't make much sense since the story would have been done by now, though I suppose that meta aspect is unrealistic already.
Chen

Postby apricity » Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I don't know why they tease us with Victoria (who I love), since they've specifically said that he meets the mother at Barney's wedding so it can't be her. Also, I really don't want Barney and Robin to get married.

In other news, was that Mila Kunis behind Ted at McLaren's when he was sitting with Victoria? The internet seems unsure and is vastly unhelpful. It seems like the kind of thing this show would do though, and whoever she is has the exact same facial expressions as Mila. I really want her to have been the mother, and them to go back in time and show her sitting there later on.

(formerly lanicita)
apricity

Postby Zohar » Sat May 19, 2012 11:58 am UTC

lanicita wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't know why they tease us with Victoria (who I love), since they've specifically said that he meets the mother at Barney's wedding so it can't be her. Also, I really don't want Barney and Robin to get married.

In other news, was that Mila Kunis behind Ted at McLaren's when he was sitting with Victoria? The internet seems unsure and is vastly unhelpful. It seems like the kind of thing this show would do though, and whoever she is has the exact same facial expressions as Mila. I really want her to have been the mother, and them to go back in time and show her sitting there later on.

I just went back to look at it and it really does look like her. And she's sitting alone, so who knows? I mean, how many times do people sit alone in bars?
Responsible wealthy people inspect their funds by occasionally taking baths in their coins.
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby apricity » Sat May 19, 2012 4:36 pm UTC

Nah, she's talking to somebody at first, very animatedly. There's somebody in the booth with her, directly behind Ted.

(formerly lanicita)
apricity

Postby Zohar » Sat May 19, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

Ah, then that specific second probably didn't show the other person :) Anyway, I definitely see the resemblance.
Responsible wealthy people inspect their funds by occasionally taking baths in their coins.
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby apricity » Sat May 19, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

By the way... (minor spoiler but if you've been watching s7 it doesn't spoil anything)
Spoiler:
The Lily's in Labor video is the best thing EVER. http://lilysinlabor.com/

(formerly lanicita)
apricity

Postby Zohar » Sat May 19, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

Video's not available in my geographical region! I tried it before already, been paying attention to these things since the Ted Moseby's a Jerk website or however it was called. But YouTube to the rescue yaaaay!
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Re: How I Sweat you Mother

Postby Sprocket » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:31 am UTC

Ok wtf.

they completely missed their own point.
Spoiler:
This was supposed to be a story about getting over that torch you carry for the one that got away, and finding happiness in someone better.

Apparently that was never even their intention, but the completely pulled the impact and joy out of their ultimate design by making us not even want it or at all be rooting for it.

Interesting about the episode in 2024
Spoiler:
where Tracie mentions "how can a mother miss her daughter's wedding" and Ted gets teary eyed. Clearly the she was already sick and that's why they were visiting the venue where they got married. I wonder why the whole thing where they kept not getting married for years....I guess just to be modern?

MOSTLY I'm pissed about retconning
Spoiler:
drunk Lilly for a baby that only serves to explain why she decided it was ok if they stay in NYC....AND THEN HAVE THEM NOT EVEN STAY IN NYC BUT GO TO ITALY ANYWAY!
"Thank you Liunus" was so good, and drunk Lilly blabbed about Wayne Brady's divorce, and she was DEFINITELY DRUNK.

But seriously,
Spoiler:
why did he have to end up with Robin? And why did was have to spend this whole season on the wedding? We could have progressed through these events more slowly and the drama and
the "pay off" would have been way more interesting.

I laughed, I cried, I felt things, it was much better than cats, but man.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:32 am UTC

Well, the finale went more or less in line with the rest of the series, for me. When the show first started out, my wife and I couldn't decide if we liked it. So, we gave it another chance... Week after week, until we somehow found ourselves a few seasons in, still not sure if we liked it. There were loads of great and funny moments, but also some just awful episodes that left us wondering if we'd catch the next one or not.

Anyway, true to form, we're still not sure if we liked it or not.
Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:35 am UTC

I agree with a lot of that

Spoiler:
The end "twist" was just asinine. It completely undermined this whole season AND was rushed into literally the last 2 minutes of the show. The whole episode was more depressing than anything. Fine it was probably more realistic, but hell I've watched the show for 9 years and I wanted a happy ending. Honestly as I said to my GF, if you moved the scene where he was talking to her under the umbrella to the end of last week's episode (like they did with the proposal scene) and ended the series there, I would have liked it much better
Chen

Postby Gwydion » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:46 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'd have been fine with a sad ending too - I thought that revealing she was dying was clever and actually somewhat unexpected up until the end, and sad as it might have been, I would have cheered them for a bold ending to the show. Instead, they undid the impact of the recent episode where Robin had her second thoughts and proposed running off with Ted, and then he talked her out of it. The fact that it was supposedly planned that way from the start doesn't help - if anything, it ruins the last two seasons in which all the characters actually grew and developed, but then in a single episode regressed back to their old ways.
Gwydion

Postby mathmannix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I have been insanely mad about episodes of various shows (Angel, Smallville, and especially the various Star Treks) pulling out a "this was all a dream" at the end, but this was the first time I was actually rooting for it. Seriously, what was that? Barney deserves happiness too, and while he apparently will have partial custody of his baby with some random girl he met and doesn't care about, he will never be as happy as he would have been with Robin. And while it does make a bit of sense to tie the whole thing together (because, really, why would Ted keep talking about the many times he and "Aunt Robin" got together, that's kind of a jerky thing to do if the mother is right there or in the next room) it still feels just as bad as those "all a dream" episodes, because I never thought he would/should end up with Robin and it feels forced. Victoria, maybe. I was definitely rooting for her when she was reintroduced in Season 7, at first anyway. But never Robin.

I haven't hated a finale so much since Quantum Leap.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.
mathmannix

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:I haven't hated a finale so much since Quantum Leap.

I quite like the QL finale - even more since finding out that it was originally intended to be the cliffhanger setup for S6 (with Sam Leaping into the future) and had to be reworked last minute to give closure to the show.

TV would be so much better if networks gave shows a decent notice period rather than "Oh, by the way we are(n't) cancelling you for next season after all."...
rmsgrey

Postby mathmannix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:TV would be so much better if networks gave shows a decent notice period rather than "Oh, by the way we are(n't) cancelling you for next season after all."...

True, but maybe now in these modern times, if the producers of a show have a strong vision for what they want to happen, and a cast that is on board even if the networks cancel the show, and it can't find a new home on a cable network, then they can still keep on completing the vision with direct-download episodes.

Anyway, the big problem I have with QL's finale is that "Sam never returned home", leaving his wife Donna alone forever.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.
mathmannix

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:18 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:TV would be so much better if networks gave shows a decent notice period rather than "Oh, by the way we are(n't) cancelling you for next season after all."...

True, but maybe now in these modern times, if the producers of a show have a strong vision for what they want to happen, and a cast that is on board even if the networks cancel the show, and it can't find a new home on a cable network, then they can still keep on completing the vision with direct-download episodes.

Anyway, the big problem I have with QL's finale is that "Sam never returned home", leaving his wife Donna alone forever.

If you own the sets, props and costumes, and don't need the facilities for something that'll pay more bills, sure. Basically that means having your own production company and spare studio capacity - there are reasons why even Joss Whedon didn't make more Firefly, despite being perfectly content to make what have been described as "ambitious home movies" like Dr. Horrible - the Whedon family and friends killing time during the 2008 Writers' Strike by making a 42-minute stand-alone that cost Joss $200,000 out-of-pocket, and had most people working on it for a share of the profits rather than upfront pay...

As for Sam never returning home, it would have been worse having his return happen as a 30-second text caption - a lasting return (or the option to return frequently) would need to be earned and be properly paid off.
rmsgrey

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 pm UTC

Just blitzed the entire season in one sitting, and I liked the ending - it felt real, and I appreciated that. The absolute end scene might have happened a little too fast, but just keep in mind that there was a six year gap between the events we saw and the final moment - realistically, Ted would have moved on. HIMYM's never been a perfect show with happy endings - in fact, the most contrived plots have always been to set up breakups, like Barney and Quinn - so the angle makes a lot of sense to me in the context of the rest of the series.

Then again, I liked the ending to Mass Effect 3, so what do I know :P
SirBryghtside

Postby Diadem » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
That ending was actually quite realistic. In the real world that marriage between Barney and Robin was never going to last. And in the real world, yeah, people sometimes die young. It happens. All that 'true love is all you need' stuff is highly unrealistic crap. But if I wanted a realistic show I wouldn't have been watching this show in the first place. I always liked how this show was extremely cynical, but always with a happy upbeat ending. In the last season, and especially the last episode, they completely reversed that. Suddenly the show is all gooey eyed romance, and then they put in a bad ending. It's just strange.

I'm not even sure I disliked it. I can see the strength of the ending. But it absolutely was something I did not see coming, and not something that fit the rest of the show.

I wonder one thing though. In that final scene the kids didn't look significantly older than 9 seasons ago. Plus throughout the series those kids only have lines in the first few episodes, and the very last one. All the other times we see them we just see them sitting on the couch. To me it very much looked like all scenes with those kids were shot at the same time. Which would be a logical way to do it, since they are basically side characters, and keeping them on the payroll for 9 seasons would be strange.

So I wonder: Was this ending shot 9 years ago already?

It's entirely possible that they simply were stuck with this ending. So maybe the show just kinda got away from the writers.

*edit*
Some googling confirmed my suspicions. The ending was in fact filmed early in season 2.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
Diadem

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows