Hugh Laurie:A Real American Doctor FROM AMERICA (House M.D.)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Hugh Laurie:A Real American Doctor FROM AMERICA (House M

Postby Angua » Tue May 24, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
Did anyone else find the ending a bit anticlimatic? I was hoping for somehting a bit more dramatic. Also, I was hopign that we'd see the psychiatrist again.

Spoiler:
Driving into a house is anti-climactic? This isn't an action series, remember?

Maybe the psychiatrist will fly down to the Bahamas?
Spoiler:
The way they had it set up at hte beginning made it sounnd like he'd really flipped - and with Wilson hurt I thought it would be a lot worse.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Kaelri » Tue May 24, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
The way they had it set up at hte beginning made it sounnd like he'd really flipped - and with Wilson hurt I thought it would be a lot worse.

Spoiler:
...he tried to murder Cuddy and everyone in her house. What in the world counts as "flipping" where you come from?
Kaelri

Postby emceng » Tue May 24, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

Kaelri wrote:
Angua wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
...he tried to murder Cuddy and everyone in her house. What in the world constitutes "flipping" where you come from?

Spoiler:
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but to me that in no way looked like a murder attempt. It was more 'fuck you', instead of trying to kill anyone.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby Kaelri » Tue May 24, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Kaelri wrote:
Spoiler:
...he tried to murder Cuddy and everyone in her house. What in the world constitutes "flipping" where you come from?

Spoiler:
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but to me that in no way looked like a murder attempt. It was more 'fuck you', instead of trying to kill anyone.

Spoiler:
The last time he (and we) saw the house, Cuddy and her guests were sitting around the table, apparently having a meal or something. House then drove his car into that room at a speed that would probably have killed anyone sitting at that table.
Kaelri

Postby emceng » Tue May 24, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

Kaelri wrote:
emceng wrote:
Kaelri wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The last time he (and we) saw the house, Cuddy and her guests were sitting around the table, apparently having a meal or something. House then drove his car into that room at a speed that would probably have killed anyone sitting at that table.

Spoiler:
Err, I thought it looked like he drove into the room next to the dining room - because he got out, and some of them were still sitting at the table and looked him - right?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby Kaelri » Tue May 24, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Spoiler:
Err, I thought it looked like he drove into the room next to the dining room - because he got out, and some of them were still sitting at the table and looked him - right?

Spoiler:

...oh god, I'm analyzing TV show screencaps for a message board. What have I become...
Kaelri

Postby emceng » Tue May 24, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

Interesting, guess I was wrong. Hmm, I liked my inerpretation better though - he looks like less of a dick.
emceng

Postby ArgonV » Tue May 24, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Interesting, guess I was wrong. Hmm, I liked my inerpretation better though - he looks like less of a dick.

Doesn't mean he is ;)
ArgonV

Postby KrazyerKate » Wed May 25, 2011 3:30 am UTC

I took it as a 'fuck you' move too, similar to when he was smashing Wilson's office stuff. If he were intent on hurting someone, he wouldn't have silently walked past the entire party of people he was angry at without doing anything.

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:
Driving into a house is anti-climactic? This isn't an action series, remember?

Actually, it was anticlimactic. We have no new information, no new character development. House is still angry, irrational, and reckless. When has that ever not been the case? It's a perfectly fine episode, I never get sick of House's antics, but I feel like I was expected to be surprised and shocked that he would do something like that, and I think I'd be more surprised and shocked if he didn't do something like that. I was expecting something a bit more extreme out of him after preforming surgery on his own leg. I realize that House can't die, but I think that's the only thing that can really take the stakes any higher than they've already been all season.

Also, did this line seem like a Narm to anyone else?
Spoiler:
(pushing Cuddy forcibly) "you want to know how I feel?! I feel....hurt."
KrazyerKate

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed May 25, 2011 6:49 am UTC

Spoiler:
self surgery...I walked away for a moment. Actually, I walked away more when Taub got retarded with the stripper. After Hours was crazy enough that it might be my favorite this season so far
since I won't pay for hulu plus.
Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby emceng » Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
Spoiler:
self surgery...I walked away for a moment. Actually, I walked away more when Taub got retarded with the stripper. After Hours was crazy enough that it might be my favorite this season so far
since I won't pay for hulu plus.

Yeah, I had pretty much the same reaction with that second part. Also, since I usually can't remember Taub's name, I mentally tagged him as 'Jewish stereotype'. His storylines have been annoying, and I really don't want to see him back.
emceng

Postby ArgonV » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So we're looking at House MD, private practice with the hot prison doctor?
ArgonV

Postby Idhan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I wouldn't look forward to House humiliating and breaking the spirit of yet another Cameron clone.
Idhan

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'm not sure where this season is even going to go. I'm guessing that they'll probably get him out in the next episode or two (like when he was in the psychiatric facility). What they'll decide to do after that is unknown though.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby KrazyerKate » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I like the prison setting because the consequences are back in place if House mouths off. Being an asshole to Cuddy was getting boring because I knew that she'd just sit back and take it. Here there's the real danger that House will get pounded if he pushes someone too far.

Also, there's something really satisfying about seeing someone take a swing at House when he really deserves it. Does anyone else feel this way?
KrazyerKate

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Wait, the season started on Monday? God damned my poor memory.
emceng

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:00 am UTC

Biggest shock of the episode:

Spoiler:
It wasn't lupus.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So, another intern? I wonder which of the old cast they're going to bring back this time. I really like the fact that House is now under Foreman's control - I think that will be interesting. Also, I really liked at the end when Wilson punched him.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby big boss » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:45 am UTC

Spoiler:
I find it hard to believe that he could return to medicine just like that after a stint in prison...
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, but I knew from the start that they were just going to handwave that away.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wouldn't he automatically have had his medical license revoked when he was in the clink? Surely he would at least have to reapply for it.

THREAD FULL OF SPOILER TAGS!!! :mrgreen:
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Spoiler:
In real life, yes. However, for the purposes of the tv show, they would have to have some way to handwave him into getting one - here it's by having him on parole doing public service by diagnosing people.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby ArgonV » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Would your medical license get revoked if you commit a non-doctory crime? I mean, 13 assisted her brother with suicide. I can understand losing a license because of non-approved euthanasia. But the crime House committed wasn't abusing his medical prowess in any way, so would you lose your license for that?
ArgonV

Postby big boss » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:38 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:
Would your medical license get revoked if you commit a non-doctory crime? I mean, 13 assisted her brother with suicide. I can understand losing a license because of non-approved euthanasia. But the crime House committed wasn't abusing his medical prowess in any way, so would you lose your license for that?

I'd imagine you would still lose your license for any felony, how many people want a doctor who is a felon? If i knew my doctor was I'd probably change.
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:53 am UTC

Spoiler:
According to google, in the US it seems to vary from state to state, and is often up to the medical board's discretion.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Actually, since all he was doing was advising other Doctors, does he actually need a medical license to do that?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby modularblues » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:17 am UTC

Suspension of disbelief must be exercised when watching these shows anyway...

Spoiler:
I don't have Hulu Plus so I get a delay, but I'm looking forward to all the awkward but potentially hilarious dynamic between House and Dr. Park.
modularblues

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:30 am UTC

Uh yeah... she doesn't appear in the second episode, and it doesn't look like she'll do so in future episodes either.

Instead we got a shy mousy Asian intern for House to eventually ruin.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby ArgonV » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Uh yeah... she doesn't appear in the second episode, and it doesn't look like she'll do so in future episodes either.

Instead we got a shy mousy Asian intern for House to eventually ruin.

Dude, that is Dr Park :wink:
ArgonV

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Oh, I thought Dr Park was the prison lady.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby big boss » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Park is one of the most Asian names ever.
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby Angua » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Well, my grandfather who was indo-caribbean had the last name of Clarke. Sometimes people change them to fit in to their new country.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Idhan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Park is both a somewhat common WASPy name and a very common Korean name. Although "Park" may not be quite as common as a WASPy name as "Parker." Other variants include "Parke" and "Parks." (Rosa Parks' ancestors were probably not owned by a Korean master.)

As for the latest PotW:
Spoiler:
I realize that his behavior was supposed to be "sick," but what got me is that he did very "logical" (if slightly nutty) applications of basic Peter Singer-ish utilitarian benevolence when it came to comparing himself vs. some other cause (e.g., 1/4000 chance of death in self vs. 1/1 chance of death in Wilson's patient with renal failure), but he never seemed to bother doing comparisons of the various causes. Being a true charitable maximalist doesn't just require that you pick between Medecins Sans Frontières and granite countertops for your kitchen -- it requires that you pick between Medicins Sans Frontières and Oxfam too -- no matter how many millions you have, you can't give the same dollar twice to two charitable causes. Given that his illness seems to have warped his priorities, but not his basic ability to think lucidly, it's weird that this never even comes up, especially considering that he considers endowing House, who runs an extremely wasteful practice in bang-for-buck utilitarian terms. (Didn't Vogler (accurately) point out a while back that the Department of Diagnostic Medicine does something like treat 30 patients a year with four physicians?)

I found the whole Adams vs. Park gift war thing pretty stupid. I'm not exactly sure why it seemed sillier than the random shit House and Wilson pull on each other, but it did. Maybe it's just that they've already developed this weird rivalry after one day, rather than being BFFs for a long time like House and Wilson.
Idhan

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Can someone help me get a decent-quality image of the boats from the House, MD intro? I figure this is the best thread to do it in!
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby big boss » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Idhan wrote:Park is both a somewhat common WASPy name and a very common Korean name. Although "Park" may not be quite as common as a WASPy name as "Parker." Other variants include "Parke" and "Parks." (Rosa Parks' ancestors were probably not owned by a Korean master.)

As for the latest PotW:
Spoiler:
I realize that his behavior was supposed to be "sick," but what got me is that he did very "logical" (if slightly nutty) applications of basic Peter Singer-ish utilitarian benevolence when it came to comparing himself vs. some other cause (e.g., 1/4000 chance of death in self vs. 1/1 chance of death in Wilson's patient with renal failure), but he never seemed to bother doing comparisons of the various causes. Being a true charitable maximalist doesn't just require that you pick between Medecins Sans Frontières and granite countertops for your kitchen -- it requires that you pick between Medicins Sans Frontières and Oxfam too -- no matter how many millions you have, you can't give the same dollar twice to two charitable causes. Given that his illness seems to have warped his priorities, but not his basic ability to think lucidly, it's weird that this never even comes up, especially considering that he considers endowing House, who runs an extremely wasteful practice in bang-for-buck utilitarian terms. (Didn't Vogler (accurately) point out a while back that the Department of Diagnostic Medicine does something like treat 30 patients a year with four physicians?)

Since you brought it up, I was wondering what everything thinks on the issue of an extremely good, yet expensive medical team that helps ~30 people a year versus spreading that money out to help more people. On the one hand if the money was spread out the hospital would probably be able to help many more people, yet on the flip side we can probably assume all the people House and his team successfully would have very little hope of recovery seeing as there isn't many other heavily funded diagnostic departments in the area (and even if there were such other departments available, one could make the same argument that they should be de-funded as well for the good of society.)
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

I kind of think of their jobs as sort of half-and-half real doctoring and medical research. Because I bet they publish many more papers than any other similarly sized medical team, even if it's not actually shown, simply by virtue of the interesting nature of all the cases that come their way. It's the only way I can think of to justify their jobs.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Shifter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I kind of think of their jobs as sort of half-and-half real doctoring and medical research. Because I bet they publish many more papers than any other similarly sized medical team, even if it's not actually shown, simply by virtue of the interesting nature of all the cases that come their way. It's the only way I can think of to justify their jobs.

And House is meant to be kind of a 'big deal' within the medical community, which he wouldn't get to be just from people hearing of this doctor that does crazy shit so ye even if the writers haven't considered it I'm gonna say that papers are being published. Just to let the show make more sense.
Shifter

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:23 am UTC

In addition to the 30 or so cases a year, there's also clinic duty. We just don't see the assistants doing that often, if ever, because it probably wouldn't be that entertaining. At least two episodes have mentioned House's team publishing papers:
Spoiler:
In one, Cameron is upset because she left her write up of a case with House for approval, and House took so long that Foreman writes his own piece and gets it published in the meantime.

In another, a Cuban couple emigates to America because the wife is sick, the Cuban doctors can't help her, and the husband's research has convinced him that House is the man he needs to see.

Still, when 13 said something last episode about coming back because she wants to put her doctor skills to use helping people, my first thought was that she should probably look for a job helping more than one person a week.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Isaac Hill

Postby big boss » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 am UTC

Spoiler:
The door into Wilson's office in the last episode is a bit over the top, I don't believe even House would do something like that...
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I also wonder how Wilson didn't notice it being installed. Even with the workmen only working nights, they'd be leaving a ton of crud lying around between shifts, not to mention a gaping hole in the wall for most of the procedure.
SlyReaper
inflatable

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows